PDA

View Full Version : Jayhawks guaranteed share of Big 12 title

ArrowheadHawk
03-01-2007, 09:09 AM
Jayhawks guaranteed share of Big 12 title
KU can claim crown outright with victory Saturday against Texas in Allen Fieldhouse

By Gary Bedore (Contact)

Posted Thursday, March 1, 2007

advertisement

Kansas University’s men’s basketball team has wrapped up at least a share of the school’s 50th conference championship.

“Yes, we’re excited about that, but our excitement is tempered. We have a chance to win it outright instead of share it three ways,” KU coach Bill Self said late Wednesday night after he, his wife and two children watched on high-definition TV as Texas beat Texas A&M, 98-96, in double overtime.

The Longhorns’ victory gave Kansas (13-2) a one-game lead in the standings over Texas (12-3) and Texas A&M (12-3) with each having one game left on the slate.

“We’ll celebrate only if we take care of business Saturday,” Self added.

KU will win the crown outright if it downs Texas in an 11 a.m. tipoff Saturday at Allen Fieldhouse. A Texas victory would propel the Longhorns into a tie for the title. A KU loss and A&M victory over Missouri at 3 p.m. in College Station also would give the Aggies a share of the league prize.

“That was an unbelievably great game, about as good a game as I can remember watching,” Self said of the Texas-Texas A&M thriller. “Certainly it topped the three-overtime game (between Texas and Oklahoma State) because of what was at stake. There was some high-level ball going on tonight.

“I was really hoping that game could go two more overtimes and have both those teams worn out,” he cracked.

Make no mistake about it — KU is happy to earn a share of yet another league title.

Yet there won’t be any wild celebrating at practice today.

“It’s still incomplete. We have a game to play,” Self said. “We said all along 13-3 would tie and 14-2 would win it outright. We said that before conference play. Now we have a great opportunity playing at home. We’ll be playing a hungry team coming in with those young guys who play with no fear.”

Self realizes the Jayhawks will certainly benefit from a loud crowd Saturday morning.

“The fieldhouse has to rock. I’m sure it will. It will be the best atmosphere with stakes so high,” Self said.

He believes the KU students will bring their A-game for the early start.

“The game is at 11. I’m sure they’ll go to bed early Friday,” he quipped. “I’m sure that’ll happen. Think back to the Georgia Tech game and how loud that was after New Year’s Eve. Do you remember that crowd? It was a great crowd.”

Indeed, the fans rocked the fieldhouse during a 70-68 overtime victory over Georgia Tech back on Jan. 1, 2005.

The game took place just 13 hours after the clock ticked midnight on New Year’s Eve.

“Pure basketball fans will enjoy it because they have very good players and we do also. There will be some hard-rocking guys on the court. Anytime Texas and Kansas play the games have been fabulous,” Self said.

http://www2.kusports.com/news/2007/mar/01/jayhawks_guaranteed_share_big_12_title/?mens_basketball

leviw
03-01-2007, 09:13 AM
It'd suck to share the title with two teams that beat you.

Better win on Saturday.

Cochise
03-01-2007, 09:18 AM
After they beat A&M, I'd be watching out that you don't get Oral-ed.

eazyb81
03-01-2007, 09:30 AM

Better win on Saturday.

Anyone else think this is an odd rule? Shouldn't A&M and/or Texas win the Big 12 outright if they have the tiebreaker over KU?

Saulbadguy
03-01-2007, 09:37 AM
Anyone else think this is an odd rule? Shouldn't A&M and/or Texas win the Big 12 outright if they have the tiebreaker over KU?
The regular season title is lame. Football does not celebrate a regular season conference championship. I've always argued that the conference tournament should crown the true champs. Dumbasses always say how the "regular season wouldn't mean anything then", but they are wrong. You play for an NCAA bid in the regular season, plus seeding in the conference tournament. No shit team is going to all of a sudden "get hot" and win the thing.

leviw
03-01-2007, 09:45 AM
The regular season title is lame. Football does not celebrate a regular season conference championship. I've always argued that the conference tournament should crown the true champs. Dumbasses always say how the "regular season wouldn't mean anything then", but they are wrong. You play for an NCAA bid in the regular season, plus seeding in the conference tournament. No shit team is going to all of a sudden "get hot" and win the thing.

The Big 12 gives North and South football championship trophies, and not just to the South or North team that goes to the Big 12 Championship game, but anyone else with the same record.

For example, K-State has been to four Big 12 Championship games, but has five Big 12 North titles.

HemiEd
03-01-2007, 09:48 AM
Congrats to the Hawks! Sweating out that game last night was something.

Bearcat
03-01-2007, 09:55 AM

Better win on Saturday.

I agree, and hopefully the players do, too.

Cochise
03-01-2007, 10:01 AM
If there is not an outright winner, and tiebreakers don't count, they shouldn't even award the trophy that year.

Nothing is lamer than the prospect of having 3 schools hoisting copies of the same trophy in their respective gyms on the same weekend.

eazyb81
03-01-2007, 10:03 AM
If there is not an outright winner, and tiebreakers don't count, they shouldn't even award the trophy that year.

Nothing is lamer than the prospect of having 3 schools hoisting copies of the same trophy in their respective gyms on the same weekend.

I completely agree - very co-ed, community rec league.

hawkchief
03-01-2007, 10:05 AM

Couldn't be more wrong. The post-season tournament wouldn't even exist were it not for the $$$$$$$ generated for the conferences.

The rigors of a full season of results for intra-conference play are far more indicative of the Conference Champion than some 3 day, 3 game Phillips 66 marketing extravaganza. Far more can be learned about a team, its abilities and its toughness by playing in front of rabid, sold out arenas such as Allen Field House (East), Hilton, Gallagher-Iba, Texas A&M and Lloyd Noble, than in front of 8,000 wine and cheesers at American Airlines, or biased crowds at OKC or Kemper.

Most coaches wouldn't even play a conference tournament if the conference didn't make them. They hate them and for good reason. Unless, of course, your team is a perennial bottom feeder like Colorada, Baylor or KSU, then it gives you the lightning-in-a-bottle lottery chance to get in the NCAA's tournament, where you don't belong in the first place.

For the good teams, post-season tournaments generally speaking are a complete waste of time, and do little except risk injury or tire their players for the Big Dance. How many times a season does a KU or A&M need to beat the Buffs, Tigers, Bears or Kitties before it's obvious that playing them again is simply a waste everyone's of time.

Saulbadguy
03-01-2007, 10:10 AM
The Big 12 gives North and South football championship trophies, and not just to the South or North team that goes to the Big 12 Championship game, but anyone else with the same record.

For example, K-State has been to four Big 12 Championship games, but has five Big 12 North titles.
Which is pointless and lame. Noone really cares about the north titles.

Saulbadguy
03-01-2007, 10:12 AM
Couldn't be more wrong. The post-season tournament wouldn't even exist were it not for the $$$$$$$ generated for the conferences.

The rigors of a full season of results for intra-conference play are far more indicative of the Conference Champion than some 3 day, 3 game Phillips 66 marketing extravaganza. Far more can be learned about a team, its abilities and its toughness by playing in front of rabid, sold out arenas such as Allen Field House (East), Hilton, Gallagher-Iba, Texas A&M and Lloyd Noble, than in front of 8,000 wine and cheesers at American Airlines, or biased crowds at OKC or Kemper.

Most coaches wouldn't even play a conference tournament if the conference didn't make them. They hate them and for good reason. Unless, of course, your team is a perennial bottom feeder like Colorada, Baylor or KSU, then it gives you the lightning-in-a-bottle lottery chance to get in the NCAA's tournament, where you don't belong in the first place.

For the good teams, post-season tournaments generally speaking are a complete waste of time, and do little except risk injury or tire their players for the Big Dance. How many times a season does a KU or A&M need to beat the Buffs, Tigers, Bears or Kitties before it's obvious that playing them again is simply a waste everyone's of time.
Funny how you bring up A&M. They were and always have been perennial bottom feeders until a few years ago. I guess you knew that though, with your high basketball IQ. Funny you bring up wine & cheesers too, because AFH has the biggest corporate wine & cheese crowd i've seen at a college venue. Lloyd Noble isn't intimidating at all. I'll give you GIA, that is one hell of an atmosphere. Easily the best in the Big XII.

Saulbadguy
03-01-2007, 10:13 AM

I don't think it will be an issue, KU should handle Texas on Saturday.

However I think A&M is hands down the best team in the league.

Braincase
03-01-2007, 10:20 AM
...Funny you bring up wine & cheesers too, because AFH has the biggest corporate wine & cheese crowd i've seen at a college venue...

Funny... I've never seen wine or cheese served at AFH in 6 years I've had season tickets. I have seen folks with good jobs and successful entrepreneurs, however. In Lawrence, the concept of "dress for success" doesn't begin with Resistol and end with Tony Lama.

WilliamTheIrish
03-01-2007, 10:33 AM
Funny... I've never seen wine or cheese served at AFH in 6 years I've had season tickets. I have seen folks with good jobs and successful entrepreneurs, however. In Lawrence, the concept of "dress for success" doesn't begin with Resistol and end with Tony Lama.

True. American Eagle and Aereopostale seem to be the standard.

Cochise
03-01-2007, 10:38 AM

This guy is always there:

Braincase
03-01-2007, 10:57 AM

meh... my garb comes from KingSizeMen.com and whatever is on sale at the Microsoft company store.

WilliamTheIrish
03-01-2007, 11:12 AM
meh... my garb comes from KingSizeMen.com and whatever is on sale at the Microsoft company store.

That screams entrepreneur. Or grad student. Or Dad. :)

Braincase
03-01-2007, 11:17 AM
That screams entrepreneur. Or grad student. Or Dad. :)

Hey, these expanding waistline slacks are comfortable dammit. Throw in a M$ golf shirt, and in my peer group, I'm stylin', right down to my black athletic socks and Airwalk faux-crocs.

WilliamTheIrish
03-01-2007, 11:21 AM
Hey, these expanding waistline slacks are comfortable dammit. Throw in a M$ golf shirt, and in my peer group, I'm stylin', right down to my black athletic socks and Airwalk faux-crocs.

I hear ya. The waistline hasn't expanded too far (yet. As long as I run my miles). My wardrobe consists of scrub pants and shirts and golf slacks and shirts (on sale @ Golf galaxy).

I do spend rather freely on my shoes though. Running takes a toll. Gotta keep those Pearl-Izumi's on the feet. They keep my spine from breaking down.

Braincase
03-01-2007, 11:25 AM
I hear ya. The waistline hasn't expanded too far (yet. As long as I run my miles). My wardrobe consists of scrub pants and shirts and golf slacks and shirts (on sale @ Golf galaxy).

I do spend rather freely on my shoes though. Running takes a toll. Gotta keep those Pearl-Izumi's on the feet. They keep my spine from breaking down.

I understand. Wish I still had cartilage in my knees. I miss running like some people miss their first girl. Running, jumping...I could run and run for miles. Now I just look down at my gut and sigh.

Lzen
03-01-2007, 11:36 AM
I don't think it will be an issue, KU should handle Texas on Saturday.

ROFL

Trying to stir the pot again? Hands down, eh? Saul, put down the crack pipe.

Braincase
03-01-2007, 11:37 AM
ROFL

Trying to stir the pot again? Hands down, eh? Saul, put down the crack pipe.

Saul knows better than any of those mamby pamby polls.

Saulbadguy
03-01-2007, 11:39 AM
What about the ratings percentage index? ;)

Cochise
03-01-2007, 11:40 AM

Those same polls that have teams ranked #1 during the year and then they miss the tournament?

(err... :sulk: )

Lzen
03-01-2007, 11:50 AM
What about the ratings percentage index? ;)

The Aggies are ranked 15th in the RPI
The Jayhawks are ranked 16th in the RPI

And somehow that equates to the Aggies being hands down the best team? I think it makes it pretty damn close. I wonder what those RPIs would be for each team if KU hadn't gotten screwed. :hmmm:

Saulbadguy
03-01-2007, 11:53 AM
I wonder what those RPIs would be for each team if KU hadn't gotten screwed. :hmmm:
ROFL

WilliamTheIrish
03-01-2007, 11:56 AM
The Aggies are ranked 15th in the RPI
The Jayhawks are ranked 16th in the RPI

And somehow that equates to the Aggies being hands down the best team? I think it makes it pretty damn close. I wonder what those RPIs would be for each team if KU hadn't gotten screwed. :hmmm:

KU got screwed? I guess you could call it that. Self really f'ed them. What other coach would leave Kaun in the game to get fouled?

Lzen
03-01-2007, 11:57 AM
ROFL

Yeah, I know you don't agree. Whatever. Still doesn't change the fact that the two teams are virtually identical in the RPI. And if KU wins on Saturday, KU will have the better RPI.

Lzen
03-01-2007, 11:58 AM
KU got screwed? I guess you could call it that. Self really f'ed them. What other coach would leave Kaun in the game to get fouled?

Well, yeah. It was a combination. Self was a dumbass for leaving a piss poor FT shooter in late in the game. That stupidity also cost them the game at MU last year, as well. :banghead:

CoMoChief
03-01-2007, 01:37 PM

Doesn't it have to do with beating common opponents?

CoMoChief
03-01-2007, 01:40 PM

Why would you even play Kaun anyways if it's nothing more than just garbage time?

Saulbadguy
03-01-2007, 01:52 PM
Why would you even play Kaun anyways if it's nothing more than just garbage time?
They shouldn't give Kaun a Big XII Championship ring.

leviw
03-01-2007, 01:57 PM

He's been good down the stretch --10 or more points in the last three out of five games and playing good defense, which he has all year.

Again, he's fine for what KU needs him to be.

CoMoChief
03-01-2007, 01:58 PM

They should take away his scholarship too. I think I'd rather have Ted Koppleman over Sasha Kaun.

Bearcat
03-01-2007, 01:59 PM

Considering your thoughts on the BCS NC game, I like this comment.

Mr. Plow
03-01-2007, 02:01 PM
They should take away his scholarship too. I think I'd rather have Ted Koppleman over Sasha Kaun.

It would probably save $$ on backboards as well.

sedated
03-01-2007, 02:10 PM
Kaun plays good post D, better than Jackson.

I see why they play him early, and they've done a godd job of taking him out late (or maybe he's done a good job of getting in foul trouble so he doesn't play late)

Who would you rather have: Kaun or Chenowith?

Skip Towne
03-01-2007, 02:25 PM
K-State is easily the worst team in the league, hands down. (See how easy that is?)

Braincase
03-01-2007, 02:29 PM

He's already got one (dumbass :p ).

Saulbadguy
03-01-2007, 02:33 PM
K-State is easily the worst team in the league, hands down. (See how easy that is?)
We play like it some nights, hands down.

ArrowheadHawk
03-01-2007, 02:42 PM
is kstate still gonna make the dance?

Saulbadguy
03-01-2007, 02:42 PM
Maybe.

leviw
03-01-2007, 02:47 PM
Maybe.

BIG day on Saturday. Will you be there?

Saulbadguy
03-01-2007, 02:50 PM
BIG day on Saturday. Will you be there?
I've only missed 2 games this year. Tennessee Tech and Coppin State. So, yeah.

I suppose I should be fairly pleased with this season, they've made alot of progress since the first game (TRIPLE OT with Washburn!!), and they've broken alot of streaks, records, etc. I predicted 10-6 and NCAA bubble team, and that is what it's looking like.

leviw
03-01-2007, 03:00 PM
I've only missed 2 games this year. Tennessee Tech and Coppin State. So, yeah.

I suppose I should be fairly pleased with this season, they've made alot of progress since the first game (TRIPLE OT with Washburn!!), and they've broken alot of streaks, records, etc. I predicted 10-6 and NCAA bubble team, and that is what it's looking like.

Yeah, I figured you would. But you never come down and say "Hey" to J-Mart and I...like Trim and Rusty...

Dude, you've gotta be pleased. I predicted 8-8 and NIT, so I'm going to be at least half wrong. Dave's been tremendous. Cartier's been great. Lance has been Lance. But then you have guys like Akeem and Clent, who are so much better than last year. Granted, Akeem still can't hit shots consistently and Clent still turns it over too much, but the improvement has been fun to watch.

Plus, everyone knew this was going to be the year you had to get through to get to the fun stuff next year and beyond. And getting to the top half of the conference and all the records and so forth that you mentioned, it ended up being kinda fun, even without a NCAA bid, which is still likely at this point, I'd say.

So yeah, you should be fairly pleased...if not flat-out pleased.

Saulbadguy
03-01-2007, 03:07 PM
Yeah, I figured you would. But you never come down and say "Hey" to J-Mart and I...like Trim and Rusty...

Dude, you've gotta be pleased. I predicted 8-8 and NIT, so I'm going to be at least half wrong. Dave's been tremendous. Cartier's been great. Lance has been Lance. But then you have guys like Akeem and Clent, who are so much better than last year. Granted, Akeem still can't hit shots consistently and Clent still turns it over too much, but the improvement has been fun to watch.

Plus, everyone knew this was going to be the year you had to get through to get to the fun stuff next year and beyond. And getting to the top half of the conference and all the records and so forth that you mentioned, it ended up being kinda fun, even without a NCAA bid, which is still likely at this point, I'd say.

So yeah, you should be fairly pleased...if not flat-out pleased.
I got caught up in expectations after the Vegas tournament. After Billy got hurt, I was back to NIT hopes. Then..the 7 game winning streak, back to unrealistic expectations. I've come to realize that what Huggins has been saying is true, we don't have Big XII caliber athletes on this team.

I don't go over to say hi cause i'm all the way up on the top row in the west side (section 2)..and i'm lazy ;)

hawkchief
03-01-2007, 03:41 PM
Funny how you bring up A&M. They were and always have been perennial bottom feeders until a few years ago. I guess you knew that though, with your high basketball IQ. Funny you bring up wine & cheesers too, because AFH has the biggest corporate wine & cheese crowd i've seen at a college venue. Lloyd Noble isn't intimidating at all. I'll give you GIA, that is one hell of an atmosphere. Easily the best in the Big XII.

Typical internet comeback, Saul. When your ridiculous point regarding post season conference tournament importance is shot to hell and you can't defend it, you come back with irrelevant and fictitious blasts to divert attention from your blunder.

I didn't say anywhere in my post that A & M has been any type of perennial power, as you say I did. I referenced A & M because along with KU they illustrate how worthless the tournament will be this year. (Their arena, however, is an intense place to travel to play, at least if your team is any good). Yes, along with KSUcks, Colorado, Mizzou, Baylor they have historically proven year in and year out that a post season tournament is a joke.

Oh, by the way, most of us will listen to the experts that travel the country and recognize Allen Field House (East), and the crowds there several times a year as one of the best, if not the best, atmospheres anywhere in college hoops to play.

sedated
03-01-2007, 03:45 PM

no

TT had wins against many better team

so did OkST, before going into the shitter

and KSU plays in the north

- Kansas
- A&M
- Texas
- TT
- OKST
...then
- KSU

leviw
03-01-2007, 03:50 PM
no

- Kansas
- A&M
- Texas
- TT
- OKST
...then
- KSU

No way you can say that with certainty now.

Skip Towne
03-01-2007, 04:03 PM
Hey, Saul, how much do you spend per year on tickets to sporting events? I'll bet you are way ahead of whoever is in second place.

leviw
03-01-2007, 04:07 PM
Hey, Saul, how much do you spend per year on tickets to sporting events? I'll bet you are way ahead of whoever is in second place.

Garth > Saul

Saulbadguy
03-01-2007, 06:28 PM
hmm.
Hell if I know. Between the Chiefs, Royals, and K-State, I know i'm probably not getting my moneys worth.

Saulbadguy
03-01-2007, 06:29 PM
Garth > Saul
If I had the kind of scratch he did, i'd be doing the same thing.

Does he fly in to the games or does he drive?

leviw
03-01-2007, 06:39 PM
If I had the kind of scratch he did, i'd be doing the same thing.

Does he fly in to the games or does he drive?

Drives.

WilliamTheIrish
03-01-2007, 06:39 PM
I don't go over to say hi cause i'm all the way up on the top row in the west side (section 2)..and i'm lazy ;)

I'll be in Section 10. Waaaay at the top. This will be a great game.

Saulbadguy
03-01-2007, 06:41 PM
Drives.
I bet he doesn't go to the WSU-KSU baseball games. He's not a "real fan".

CoMoChief
03-01-2007, 06:41 PM
Kaun plays good post D, better than Jackson.

I see why they play him early, and they've done a godd job of taking him out late (or maybe he's done a good job of getting in foul trouble so he doesn't play late)

Who would you rather have: Kaun or Chenowith?

Chenowith, as sad as it is to say that. Hell I'd take Moody or Jeff Graves over any of them.

leviw
03-01-2007, 06:45 PM
I bet he doesn't go to the WSU-KSU baseball games. He's not a "real fan".

If he did, he'd give Weird Robert a run for his money as the most vocal fan at a KSU baseball game.

Saulbadguy
03-01-2007, 06:47 PM
If he did, he'd give Weird Robert a run for his money as the most vocal fan at a KSU baseball game.
hahaha...i've actually sat near him during the baseball games. He'd be yelling "DOUBLE PLAY" while there is noone on base.

leviw
03-01-2007, 06:50 PM
hahaha...i've actually sat near him during the baseball games. He'd be yelling "DOUBLE PLAY" while there is noone on base.

He's awesome. I don't know if you see him at the basketball games, but he sits at the bottom of section 10 or 11, and he's started wearing his infamous heavy green coat UNDER a sweatshirt WITH suspenders over the top.

It's too much.

BWillie
03-01-2007, 06:57 PM
no

- Kansas
- A&M
- Texas
- TT
- OKST
...then
- KSU

I agree. First of all, there are going to be some upsets in the mid-majors taking away from at-large berths this year. Mid-majors are on the rise, and there are some good teams that aren't even bubble teams that will take a couple tournaments...letting Winthrop and the Drexels of the world get in. I think 10-6 isn't good enough. K-State really has no quality wins outside of beating USC. I think the committee will see how weak the Big 12 is this year, and not reward K-State with a berth. It is going to be the same reason why I think it's going to be kind of difficult for KU to get a #1 seed. Colorado didn't get in one year going 10-6 and the big 12 was in better shape than it is right now. I think Tech makes it if they don't falter down the stretch..too many big wins. 8-8 in conference may be enough for them, however, K-State needs a Friday and Saturday big 12 tournament win in my opinion.

CoMoChief
03-01-2007, 07:07 PM
I agree. First of all, there are going to be some upsets in the mid-majors taking away from at-large berths this year. Mid-majors are on the rise, and there are some good teams that aren't even bubble teams that will take a couple tournaments...letting Winthrop and the Drexels of the world get in. I think 10-6 isn't good enough. K-State really has no quality wins outside of beating USC. I think the committee will see how weak the Big 12 is this year, and not reward K-State with a berth. It is going to be the same reason why I think it's going to be kind of difficult for KU to get a #1 seed. Colorado didn't get in one year going 10-6 and the big 12 was in better shape than it is right now. I think Tech makes it if they don't falter down the stretch..too many big wins. 8-8 in conference may be enough for them, however, K-State needs a Friday and Saturday big 12 tournament win in my opinion.

KSU beat Texas also. TEX helped KSU last night by defeating TXAM. Texas could also do more damage in the couference tourney as could KSU. The conference tourney is huge for KSU. If they want in they're gonna have to win one game at least and make another one a contest.

If KU wins out theres no way they dont get a number #1 seed. They would be at least number 3 in the nation, and I can't remember a team that didnt get a 1 seed that was ranked #3 in the country.

Skip Towne
03-01-2007, 07:23 PM
Also, the selection committee will downgrade KSU because Huggins is the coach.

leviw
03-01-2007, 07:34 PM
Also, the selection committee will downgrade KSU because Huggins is the coach.

Actually, it will upgrade them, quite significantly. Huge ratings boost.

Skip Towne
03-01-2007, 07:39 PM
Actually, it will upgrade them, quite significantly. Huge ratings boost.
Nope, he is a blight on the NCAA and everybody wants him gone.