PDA

View Full Version : Steelers cutting Joey Porter?!?!?!

CoMoChief
03-01-2007, 02:05 PM
Make a move Carl. He's one of the best in the league.

noa
03-01-2007, 02:05 PM
That would be awesome, but he's gonna cost a lot of money.

Brock
03-01-2007, 02:06 PM
Somebody's not paying attention.

Woodrow Call
03-01-2007, 02:08 PM
NO MORE 3-4 LBs FOR A 4-3

Direckshun
03-01-2007, 02:10 PM
Yeah we got burnt last time.

Porter is proven, however.

Gah, I'm torn.

tomahawk kid
03-01-2007, 02:11 PM
Where did you see / hear this?

Woodrow Call
03-01-2007, 02:11 PM
Yeah we got burnt last time.

Porter is proven, however.

Gah, I'm torn.

Tomlin is a Cover 2 guy as is Herm. Why do you think Tomlin is getting rid of him? Probably because he doesn't the Cover 2.

noa
03-01-2007, 02:12 PM
Where did you see / hear this?

They just announced it on NFL Live

CoMoChief
03-01-2007, 02:13 PM

Porter is an OLB in a 3-4. Bell was ILB. Porter can actually cover. Bell can not.

The Dynasty
03-01-2007, 02:16 PM
NO! NO! AND NO!

get character guys not big mouth big nosed fools like him.

Rooster
03-01-2007, 02:16 PM
Would he have the cover skills to play middle linebacker in the cover 2?

Interesting release none the less. Didn't see that one coming.

CoMoChief
03-01-2007, 02:20 PM
NO! NO! AND NO!

That big mouth big nosed fool is one of the best LB's in the NFL and was a vocal leader on that PIT defense. That is something we havent had on defense for a long time and NOOOO Kawika is not the answer as a leader on defense.

Redrum_69
03-01-2007, 02:22 PM
Was it drugs or guns....

Redrum_69
03-01-2007, 02:23 PM
Actually, I think they released him because he was illegally raising pit bulls and shipping them worldwide to cities who had banned that breed...

tk13
03-01-2007, 02:23 PM
I think he could cover... but he's great at blitzing, his talents would probably be wasted here.

Cochise
03-01-2007, 02:27 PM
haha. Earlier today the whole Planet was on board with trading all the high salary players, going for youth, getting us in the best possible cap position for the coming years. People were saying they want a 4-12 season, a 6-10 season, and a high pick.

Now a 30 year old linebacker gets cut from a team and a system that produced our last bust FA linebacker and by a team that has done a pretty good job historically at cutting defensive personnel at the right times and it's back to "DAMNIT SIGN HIM CARL!!!!!! :cuss: "

Cochise
03-01-2007, 02:27 PM
Actually, I think they released him because he was illegally raising pit bulls and shipping them worldwide to cities who had banned that breed...

I'm pretty sure I read that two of his pits got loose and killed a miniature horse.

chagrin
03-01-2007, 02:29 PM
big nosed fools like him.

:spock:

umm, okay

Brock
03-01-2007, 02:29 PM
haha. Earlier today the whole Planet was on board with trading all the high salary players, going for youth, getting us in the best possible cap position for the coming years. People were saying they want a 4-12 season, a 6-10 season, and a high pick.

Now a 30 year old linebacker gets cut from a team and a system that produced our last bust FA linebacker and by a team that has done a pretty good job historically at cutting defensive personnel at the right times and it's back to "DAMNIT SIGN HIM CARL!!!!!! :cuss: "

Amazing, isn't it?

Woodrow Call
03-01-2007, 02:34 PM

This place cracks me up. It really does.

El Jefe
03-01-2007, 02:34 PM
I say no.

unothadeal
03-01-2007, 02:35 PM
Nah-Uh

Redrum_69
03-01-2007, 02:38 PM
Kendrell Bell came from the steelers...

Woodrow Call
03-01-2007, 02:39 PM
Sign Joe Horn threads in 3.....2.....1

Mecca
03-01-2007, 02:44 PM
Porter is slow now too.....if anyone pays him alot they're getting screwed.

CupidStunt
03-01-2007, 02:47 PM
More mouth than performance. Would suck in a 4-3.

suds79
03-01-2007, 02:47 PM
Porter is slow now too.....if anyone pays him alot they're getting screwed.

Exactly. If he's so great, then why would the steelers let him walk?

Oh because his production wouldn't match his $$$?

After all the examples & articles have come out about how bigtime FAs are generally disappointing (putting it mildly), we still have people wanting for us to make a big splash.

Eric
03-01-2007, 02:51 PM
Players are cut for a REASON!!!!!!!

You people were jumping up and down with the BELL signing.

beer bacon
03-01-2007, 02:51 PM

Porter is a pretty good all around player. He isn't just a pass rusher. I think he would make a good SS OLB in a 4-3. I don't know if he would be worth the dough he is going to cost if he plays at that position.

beer bacon
03-01-2007, 02:52 PM
Exactly. If he's so great, then why would the steelers let him walk?

Oh because his production wouldn't match his $$$?

After all the examples & articles have come out about how bigtime FAs are generally disappointing (putting it mildly), we still have people wanting for us to make a big splash.

I think the Steelers let him walk because they are a linebacker factory.

Woodrow Call
03-01-2007, 02:54 PM
Porter is a pretty good all around player. He isn't just a pass rusher. I think he would make a good SS OLB in a 4-3. I don't know if he would be worth the dough he is going to cost if he plays at that position.

He might be that was just my 1st reaction. Seems like Steelers always know when to get rid of their LBs. Gildon, Bell, etc.

He just doesn't seem like a good fit on a team that wants to get younger.

beer bacon
03-01-2007, 02:58 PM
He might be that was just my 1st reaction. Seems like Steelers always know when to get rid of their LBs. Gildon, Bell, etc.

He just doesn't seem like a good fit on a team that wants to get younger.

I think he could be a good fit here, but not at the outrageous contract he will end up signing.

noa
03-01-2007, 02:58 PM
The only reason I'm interested in Porter is because he plays with passion and intensity, and that's what we were sorely lacking in the Cleveland debacle.

boogblaster
03-01-2007, 03:00 PM
Big mouth ..Big hitter ..Big heart ..Big money .....

Chief Nute
03-01-2007, 03:02 PM
If he will play for free, we could probably spot him a jersey.....other than that, I wouldn't be interested.

Direckshun
03-01-2007, 03:21 PM
Yeah, we're going to have a find a leader somewhere.

I don't think Porter's play is worth big money, I think his leadership might be.

This defense was good with Mitchell in the middle, a young MLB with questionable leader skills. But bring in Porter, an experienced MLB with definitive leader skills, and how high does our defense go based on that alone?

The Bad Guy
03-01-2007, 03:25 PM
Have you people lost your F'N mind?

The guy is a pass rushing stud. The guy talks a huge game, backs it up every week. He would be a great leader on this defense because he doesn't put up with half-assed shit.

I would swear that some of you think we have the Ravens D or something.

Saying no to Porter when we have an awful defense that doesn't many playmakers is ****ing ridiculous.

Yeah, he's a 3-4 backer, but he can get after the QB. Find ways to make it happen.

Mecca
03-01-2007, 03:27 PM
Have you people lost your F'N mind?

The guy is a pass rushing stud. The guy talks a huge game, backs it up every week. He would be a great leader on this defense because he doesn't put up with half-assed shit.

I would swear that some of you think we have the Ravens D or something.

Saying no to Porter when we have an awful defense that doesn't many playmakers is ****ing ridiculous.

Yeah, he's a 3-4 backer, but he can get after the QB. Find ways to make it happen.

It's not a sound idea to throw a bunch of money at a 30 year old player when your team is in position to go to rebuild mode and dump old overpriced players........we aren't a superbowl team or anywhere close to it.

The Bad Guy
03-01-2007, 03:29 PM
It's not a sound idea to throw a bunch of money at a 30 year old player when your team is in position to go to rebuild mode and dump old overpriced players........we aren't a superbowl team or anywhere close to it.

It's not a sound idea to hate the team you root for.

But you seem to pull it off.

Mecca
03-01-2007, 03:32 PM
It's not a sound idea to hate the team you root for.

But you seem to pull it off.

Is Joey Porter going to win us the Superbowl this year? Yea man let's pay him 35 mill, I'm sure playing in defense he's not suited for while he's aging like the rest of our team will really get us over the damn hump.

I don't hate the Chiefs, I hate how they do things because it's why they aren't a Bowl contender and haven't been for quite some time. I'm sorry I don't sit back and wash it with a positive light when I think they do things that are ****ing stupid.

Iowanian
03-01-2007, 04:30 PM
Bringing in over priced, aging FAs goes precisely against what needs to be done in KC. This team doesn't need a bandaid, it needs a heart and lung transplant.

Halfcan
03-01-2007, 04:39 PM
Fact is we only have 5 great players on D

Allen-who future is questionable
DJ- who most people say is underperforming
Surtain- huge cap hit
Ty law- very average and falls down to much
Tamba-our brightest young star

Then there is everyone else. Half the D should be cut.

Porter is older, but we need a leader. KWicked just doesn't get it done-he is lost most of the time and over runs plays. Not to mention-he gets tricked by the bootleg every time. He needs to go-so that leaves a spot.

Halfcan
03-01-2007, 04:41 PM
Is Joey Porter going to win us the Superbowl this year? Yea man let's pay him 35 mill, I'm sure playing in defense he's not suited for while he's aging like the rest of our team will really get us over the damn hump.

I don't hate the Chiefs, I hate how they do things because it's why they aren't a Bowl contender and haven't been for quite some time. I'm sorry I don't sit back and wash it with a positive light when I think they do things that are ****ing stupid.

I agree with what you are saying, but this team needs some attitude out there. How many times has this D laid down like little puzzies??

With Bonecrusher bashing guys over the middle and Porter firing up the line-it might just work.

CoMoChief
03-01-2007, 04:58 PM
This guy is an All Pro. He's not a Shawn Barber, a Dexter McCleon, a Vonnie Holliday (whos playing well now though), or a Kendrell Bell. He has proven himself to be one of the best OLB in the NFL hands down. We don't have a vocal leader on defense who actually backs it up. Mitchell may wave his hands around and yell but he plays like shit. There's a huge difference.

Cochise
03-01-2007, 05:35 PM
This guy is an All Pro. He's not a Shawn Barber, a Dexter McCleon, a Vonnie Holliday (whos playing well now though), or a Kendrell Bell. He has proven himself to be one of the best OLB in the NFL hands down. We don't have a vocal leader on defense who actually backs it up. Mitchell may wave his hands around and yell but he plays like shit. There's a huge difference.

WTF is the point of throwing money at an aging veteran now? The time for that was 2-3 years ago.

By the time we are ready again he's going to be 33 or 34. And a lot of people think his decline has begun already.

dtebbe
03-01-2007, 05:46 PM
I'd rather the chiefs take 10 mil in cash and burn it in the parking lot to smoke ribs....

DT

GrimReepa
03-01-2007, 06:26 PM
NO! NO! AND NO!

r u stupid joey porter is the best LB in the NFL, he may talk alot but he proves his point and if trent and bell go to miami we will need someone to replace him

Buck
03-01-2007, 06:30 PM
I bet you San Diego gets him.

CoMoChief
03-01-2007, 06:37 PM

Well now that would make me wanna puke.

Buck
03-01-2007, 06:38 PM
Well now that would make me wanna puke.

We do run a 3-4.

Fish
03-01-2007, 07:36 PM

You guys keep your grubby hands off any more LBs.... you don't need anymore.... :D

milkman
03-01-2007, 07:52 PM

I'm thinking the Cowboys.

And I'm fine with that.

I want to build through the draft.

I'm sick of building pretenders with free agents.

Knob
03-01-2007, 11:57 PM
Joey Porter is one bad mofo. Nuff said, and that's why the chiefs wont get him. Next subject plz.

L.A. Chieffan
03-01-2007, 11:59 PM
r u stupid joey porter is the best LB in the NFL, he may talk alot but he proves his point and if trent and bell go to miami we will need someone to replace him
"the best LB in the NFL"? STFU

Smed1065
03-02-2007, 12:20 AM
He was rated most feared player last year in SI. IIRC.

FDS
03-02-2007, 12:53 AM
Porter and Cower got run out of Pitt for rubbing tongues on the sideline. Porter's dog tried to cover for him. Saying he hit the pussy like a jackhammer. But he and Cower are gone.

PBJ FirstDownSamie PBJ

Simply Red
03-02-2007, 06:51 AM
Dead wood.

Ultra Peanut
03-02-2007, 07:10 AM
DAMNIT SIGN HIM CARL!!!!!! :cuss:

Bowser
03-02-2007, 07:16 AM
Only if he brings Hugh Douglas with him.

King_Chief_Fan
03-02-2007, 07:21 AM
rumor has it that the Chiefs would rather have a Nap Harris. Why?

Halfcan
03-02-2007, 07:27 AM
Nap Harris and his 80 tackles over the last 2 years- Print them!

Rooster
03-02-2007, 07:38 AM
I'm thinking the Cowboys.

I agree. I think we will see him in Dallas. With any luck he will beat up T.O.

Chiefnj
03-02-2007, 07:42 AM
Even if you want to build through the draft, you still need some free agents.

It's a good draft year for KC if they can get two solid starters out each draft. Right now there are holes at DT(2), WR(2), MLB, OLB, C, OT(2), (G) and youth needed badly at CB. Possible holes at QB and FB. It would take about 6 years of drafting to adequately fill those holes.

Woodrow Call
03-02-2007, 07:45 AM

3 Reasons

1. Younger
2. Cheaper
3. He is a MLB with Cover 2 experience

CupidStunt
03-02-2007, 08:54 AM

Very solid cover-2 mike LB. Pretty cheap, too.

Porter? Lets see... horrible character, expensive, 3-4 OLB and even if he was a 4-3 OLB we're okay at that position; a lot better off than MLB, anyway.