PDA

View Full Version : New York City bans the n-word

Claynus
03-01-2007, 06:42 PM
:rolleyes:

http://www.theage.com.au/news/world/new-york-bans-******-slur/2007/03/01/1172338762050.html

New York City symbolically banned use of the word ****** today, the latest step in a campaign that hopes to expunge the most vile of racial slurs from hip hop music and television.

The City Council unanimously declared a moratorium that carries no penalty but aims to stop youth from casually using the word, considered by most Americans to be the most offensive in the English language.

The New York City measure follows similar resolutions this month by the New York state assembly and state senate, and supporters of the ban are taking their campaign to The Recording Academy, asking it not to nominate musicians for Grammy awards if they use the word in their lyrics.

Many rap artists and young New Yorkers toss the word around as a term of endearment or as a substitute for black, angering some black leaders who consider those who use it as ignorant of the word's hate-filled history in slavery and segregation.

"This could be the beginning of a movement," councilman Albert Vann said.

Councilman Leroy Comrie, a sponsor of the moratorium, said the campaign against the word has gained strength since comedian Michael Richards spewed it in a racially charged tirade in Los Angeles.

The Laugh Factory club where Richards performed has since banned comedians from using the word there and the former Seinfeld television star has apologised.

"The Michael Richards incident really brought it to another level. It has forced people to express their outrage. Many people had been seething quietly," Comrie said.

Comrie also asked TV network Black Entertainment Television to stop using the word in its shows. Representatives of BET did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

A Grammy spokesman said he doubted the academy's 11,000 voting members would support any measure that might censor artists.

"They are not going to be supportive of something that excludes someone simply because they are using a word that is offensive," said Ron Roecker, vice president of communication for the Recording Academy.

The city resolution calling for the moratorium traces the etymology of the word from the Latin "niger," meaning black, to its first documented written use in 1786 as a term slave masters used to label their African slaves.

Use of the word by blacks exploded with the rise of rap music in recent years, and some black comedians like Chris Rock continue to use it in their routines.

"What, is there a fine? Am I going to get a ticket?" Rock mocked when asked about the City Council move. "Do judges say, '10 years, ******!"'

Rock said politicians were trying to divert attention from real problems: "Enough real bad things happen in this city to worry about how I am going to use the word."

siberian khatru
03-01-2007, 06:43 PM
So much for keeping it real.

Thig Lyfe
03-01-2007, 06:44 PM
Cracker, please.

Claynus
03-01-2007, 06:50 PM
I think "negro" is more offensive.

HolmeZz
03-01-2007, 06:51 PM
We should symbolically ban GoChiefs.

Archie F. Swin
03-01-2007, 06:52 PM
hope they have foot patrol at Def Jam studios

siberian khatru
03-01-2007, 06:53 PM
I think "negro" is more offensive.

"You sendin' the Wolf?"
"Oh, you feel better, motherf*cker?"
"Shit, negro, that's all you had to say!"

Cochise
I'm going there soon. I'll try yelling it to see if I get arrested.

crazycoffey
do they charge demerits points if you say it? where's wesley snipes and sly stalone?
sandra bullock?

Direckshun
03-01-2007, 06:57 PM
Yeah that'll do it.

CoMoChief
03-01-2007, 07:01 PM
How are they going to enforce this if there is no penalty? If I read this correctly, there is no penalty for using it even though theyre wanting to ban it?

Ultra Peanut
03-01-2007, 07:15 PM
Well, that's retarded.

BUNCHA NO-GOODERS!

HMc
03-01-2007, 07:16 PM
:rolleyes:

considered by most Americans to be the most offensive in the English language.

that's interesting. i don't hear every rapper dropping the c-bomb whenever they get the chance.

NFL16
03-01-2007, 07:18 PM
I'm going there soon. I'll try yelling it to see if I get arrested.

Or shot.

el borracho
03-01-2007, 07:18 PM
Problem solved! Let the racial harmony ensue!

Ultra Peanut
03-01-2007, 07:20 PM
that's interesting. i don't hear every rapper dropping the c-bomb whenever they get the chance."Get rid of the Seaward."
"I'll leave when I'm good and ready!"

Halfcan
03-01-2007, 07:28 PM
My Grandma still calls them "Colored"

siberian khatru
03-01-2007, 07:48 PM
My Grandma still calls them "Colored"

My grandmother-in-law calls them "darkies." :rolleyes:

NewChief
03-01-2007, 07:51 PM
Double-plus good!

Dr. Facebook Fever
03-01-2007, 07:53 PM
Rappers are gonna be pissed. They think there was trouble in the hood before........ oh shit........

Rain Man
03-01-2007, 08:17 PM
This is a racist law. Since black people use the word more than white people, banning this word will simply result in more black people in our nation's jails and prisons. By my logic, then, if we wanted fewer black people in jail, we should make the use of the word mandatory, like maybe as part of the Pledge of Allegiance or something.

SNR
03-01-2007, 08:24 PM
Bullshit. I can think of more offensive words than ******

Cochise
03-01-2007, 08:30 PM
Or shot.

Kidding.

Reminds me of that scene in Die Hard where Bruce Willis is wearing that sandwich sign in Harlem...

SNR
03-01-2007, 08:32 PM
Could be worse (http://www.derrickcomedy.com/spellingbee.htm) (NSFW)

Rooster
03-02-2007, 07:27 AM
Bullshit. I can think of more offensive words than ******

What about **** or **** ***** or heaven forbid **** **-***?

StcChief
03-02-2007, 07:42 AM
Come on America....

Let's all have a group hug. :grouphug:

Can't we all just get along ROFL

ChiTown
03-02-2007, 07:49 AM
*****, PLEASE!

DJ_is_the_realdeal
03-02-2007, 07:58 AM
Not all black americans think using the word N'''''' is a way to turn a negative into a positive. I don't use it at all. I think its retarded. Also, The whole black and african american thing. I want to be known as a american, I don't need any adjectives in front of it.

BIG_DADDY
03-02-2007, 09:06 AM
America turning into Eurofags 5,4,3,2,1.......................

PC gone wild. Even the brothus are pissed about it. Next freedom os speach to be restricted?

I gotta say, I hate it when I'm proven right once again, it's not worth it.

BIG_DADDY
03-02-2007, 09:09 AM
America turning into EuroRump Rangers 5,4,3,2,1.......................

PC gone wild. Even the brothus are pissed about it. Next freedom os speach to be restricted?

ROFL I guess we don't need more evidence than my last post. ROFL

big nasty kcnut
03-02-2007, 09:25 AM
dj is right i rather be called american then / something.

BIG_DADDY
03-02-2007, 11:28 AM
What, nobody has anything to say about this now after all the fuss about the left not wanting to restrict our right to free speech? :shrug:

Imagine that. ROFL So typical.

crazycoffey
03-02-2007, 11:39 AM
Could be worse (http://www.derrickcomedy.com/spellingbee.htm) (NSFW)

jeezzzzz, is that what comedy has come too.

I still laughed a little, "I heard what you said"

SNR
03-02-2007, 11:51 AM
jeezzzzz, is that what comedy has come too.

I still laughed a little, "I heard what you said"My favorite one is its use in the sentence

"Get that ******f*ggot out of here!"

Demonpenz
03-02-2007, 11:54 AM
Still no word about plans to make the city not smell like piss

Lzen
03-02-2007, 01:02 PM
Not all black americans think using the word N'''''' is a way to turn a negative into a positive. I don't use it at all. I think its retarded. Also, The whole black and african american thing. I want to be known as a american, I don't need any adjectives in front of it.

I take it by this post that you are black? I've always felt the same say as your post. But I figured that since I'm white, I just don't understand the culture. /shrug

Lzen
03-02-2007, 01:04 PM
America turning into Eurofags 5,4,3,2,1.......................

Exactly. Whatever happened to free speech? Make no mistake, I never do use that word and I never plan to use that word. Despite that, I don't think it should be banned. That's free speech that is supposed to be protected. I want to know how long before this gets challenged.

sedated
03-02-2007, 02:27 PM
Exactly. Whatever happened to free speech? Make no mistake, I never do use that word and I never plan to use that word. Despite that, I don't think it should be banned. That's free speech that is supposed to be protected. I want to know how long before this gets challenged.

free speech does have a line, like yelling fire in a crowd.

I'm not saying this crosses it, I'm just sayin :shrug:

NFL16
03-02-2007, 02:33 PM
Kidding.

Reminds me of that scene in Die Hard where Bruce Willis is wearing that sandwich sign in Harlem...

Lol, yeah so was I.

That was funny though.

Rain Man
03-02-2007, 03:03 PM

Same here, but unfortunately people tend to like to put labels on us. I just want to be called "American", but I'm always having to put up with labels. "Supergenius", "heartthrob", "deity" - I really get tired of it sometimes.

BIG_DADDY
03-02-2007, 03:15 PM

Oh come on bruh, what about when your rollin in the hood with fitty cent blaring out da hoopty.

I was a poor *****
Now I'm a rich *****
Getting paper now you can't tell me shit *****
You can find me in the fo' dot six *****
In the backseat fondling ya bitch *****

BIG_DADDY
03-02-2007, 03:18 PM
Oh come on bruh, what about when your rollin in the hood with fitty cent blaring out da hoopty.

I was a poor *****
Now I'm a rich *****
Getting paper now you can't tell me shit *****
You can find me in the fo' dot six *****
In the backseat fondling ya bitch *****

That's it, I think the planet has a conspiracy going to keep a brutha down, just look at this shit beeotch. You all just a bunch of crazy ass racist crackas over here.

vailpass
03-02-2007, 03:22 PM
Can I still say wigger?

BIG_DADDY
03-02-2007, 03:26 PM
Can I still say wigger?

Hey as long as your just insulting whitey home boy it's all good. :)

vailpass
03-02-2007, 03:29 PM
Hey as long as your just insulting whitey home boy it's all good. :)

I aint sayin' she's a gold digga'
But she aint messin' with no broke cracker.....

Bowser
03-02-2007, 03:34 PM
Can I still say wigger?

Wut up, slice?

vailpass
03-02-2007, 03:35 PM
Wut up, slice?
ROFL

BIG_DADDY
03-02-2007, 03:50 PM
Why are white rappers using the imfamous "N" word?!?

I'm not quite sure when this offensive, moronic trend started but I know idiots like Necro and a slew of other "wanna prove how down they are" whiteboys started using the infamous "N" word in rhyme. I'm amazed that at some point white rappers felt comfortable enough to use the "N" word in their raps. I do know that the day is at hand when the physical beatdown is coming as a result of their stupid actions. Understand I'm not advocating that people assault these white rappers but at the same time haven't they assaulted our very culture by venturing out and using the word? No white person should utter the word ever. Period. The fact that white people practicing a Black artform somehow convince themselves that using the "N" word is mind-boggling. I always assumed white rappers would be the last Caucasians to act so insensitively and spit right in the face of Hip Hop culture and its African-American genesis.

In the early 80's when white rappers were seen less than the Loch Ness Monster, the thought of one of us uttering that word was unthinkable. There was Funk Wizard Snow and BMOC (who went on to found The Source) in Philly, Serch, Pete Nice and the Beastie Boys in New York and Tony D in Trenton. That was about the extent of whiteboys on the mic. What did they all have in common besides skin color? Number one they all had skills. They had to to survive. Number two and more importantly, they all understood, embraced and RESPECTED the Black core of the Hip Hop. They would never even fathom uttering that word. They were products of the same environment that Black and Latin rappers came from. They had to be because in the beginning few outside of the inner city even knew what Hip Hop culture was.

Somewhere between the appearances of those few respected white rappers came Vanilla Ice. He was the worst thing that ever happened and attached a stigma to white rappers literally overnight. It took several years and Eminem to undo the damage. After digging out from the Ice Age white rappers began to appear again and in greater numbers than ever before. Credit MTV for the proliferation of white rappers. They bought the culture from the inner city and beamed it into the homes of the white suburbs. The result was a generation of white rappers who came up outside of the culture and were able to write rhymes in the comfort of their posh bedrooms without ever interacting with Hip Hop culture. They were in effect the first creation of the rise of the Rap Music Industry. Along comes the internet and now white kids can put their music out there on the web, get it pressed up and sell it online without ever leaving their cul de sac. Now I'm obviously not dissing all white rappers en masse or suggesting that all white rappers are spoiled suburban brats pretending to be Bloods and Crips. I can only assume that these events led to 2003 and the bizarre climate where whites feel that they've somehow become acceptable to utter the word in their rhymes. The second a white rapper does this he or she not only discredits themselves but disgraces the legacy of Kool Herc, Flash and Bam. It has even gotten to the point where I've witnessed white rappers using the word in rhyme in front of Black people. Sooner or later I'm going to witness one of these white rappers beatdown by the very people they try to impress. I'm not going to intervene.

I've had numerous conversations with young white rappers who use the word in their material and ask them what possessed them to do it? They always come with the same answer that I'm an oldhead and things are different now. They tell me I don't understand cause I'm not "gangsta" like they are. They run out that tired excuse that they're using the "a" version of the word instead of the bad "er" version. In a country where white people enslaved Africans it doesn't matter which way it comes out, it comes out wrong.

You don't know how bad I want to rip those bandannas off the buffoon FUBU wearin' whiteboys strutting though suburban malls trying to be something they aren't and use them to choke the ish out of them. They make me angry, sad and embarrassed. I remind them that nothing is "different" now. Not after four hundred years of white racist colonialism and not eight hundred years from now. Why can't white people excuse themselves from the controversy of the use of the word? Black people are capable of hashing it out all by themselves without annoying intervention from white folks. Why do white people always feel the need to say "well I think..." SHUT UP! No one cares what you think. The responsibility to put an end to this is for white consumers to stop buying the music of other whites who use the word in their music. No matter how many white rappers come along, regardless of the fact that whites account for seventy percent of the sales of Hip Hop music it will never change the fact that Hip Hop at its core is a deep rooted Black experience. We have an obligation to make sure that white people do not do to Hip Hop what they did to Rock N' Roll. At least the white people back in the 1950's were ignorant. White kids in the new millennium are not. Along with knowledge comes responsibility.

Another frequent defense from the sorry white rappers is often something along the lines of Hip Hop being "universal" now and all inclusive. While this is true it doesn't change the nature and history of Hip Hop. Pizza is universal too and all races of people enjoy a good slice every now and then but that doesn't mean that it's not Italian anymore just because everyone consumes it.

In the words of the greatest rapper of all time, "rap is something you do, Hip Hop is something you live." Recognize. Respect. React.

ROFL

Lzen
03-02-2007, 06:53 PM
free speech does have a line, like yelling fire in a crowd.

I'm not saying this crosses it, I'm just sayin :shrug:
I understand the reason for not allowing someone to yell fire in a crowd. It can be a safety hazard. This issue is no the same. Like I said, I don't like the word and don't like to hear it used. I'm just afraid if we allow words to be banned other things will follow. Where do we draw the line?

Tribal Warfare
03-02-2007, 07:06 PM
http://www.ifilm.com/video/2795961

damn these guys are F*CKED