PDA

View Full Version : A rare year but I hope we sign NO free agents.

Logical
03-01-2007, 07:45 PM
We are tremendously far from being a championship caliber team so I say no free agents this year.

One possible exception would be an offensive tackle, but I don't know of any top notch young ones available.

JBucc
03-01-2007, 07:46 PM
New Orleans free agents? Your in luck my friend, they just cut Joe Horn.

ChiefsCountry
03-01-2007, 07:50 PM
I say we need to sign a LT at least. Maybe some young free agents but no mega deals.

Simply Red
03-01-2007, 07:52 PM
I say we need to sign a LT at least. Maybe some young free agents but no mega deals.

Dude, Lawrence Taylor hasn't been around in years.

Halfcan
03-01-2007, 07:54 PM
Wow Carl has you guys brainwashed....

Higher tickets-yes please

Higer parking- yes please

Better talent- no please

You guys can't expect to fill all the holes on this team in one draft. We are lucky to get one good player out of draft let alone 25.

Direckshun
03-01-2007, 07:55 PM
Yeah, a good draft typically produces only a handful of decent players.

The Chiefs need to usher in a new era of youth, and they're not going to do it through the draft alone.

crazycoffey
03-01-2007, 07:58 PM
hard to do, but I hear ya. Offensive line is the only exception.

milkman
03-01-2007, 08:07 PM
Wow Carl has you guys brainwashed....

Higher tickets-yes please

Higer parking- yes please

Better talent- no please

You guys can't expect to fill all the holes on this team in one draft. We are lucky to get one good player out of draft let alone 25.

No one expects to build in one draft.

But you don't build SB winners via free agency.

Mr. Laz
03-01-2007, 08:15 PM
repost

Logical
03-01-2007, 08:58 PM
repostHow the heck can it be a repost. I did not post an article.

milkman
03-01-2007, 09:00 PM
How the heck can it be a repost. I did not post an article.

He's saying you're creating a thread to express an idea some of us had already expressed within other threads.

Logical
03-01-2007, 09:07 PM
My thought is that this is

1 a weak free agent group
2 we can save cap space for when we really need it
3 get rid of some dead weight instead
4 get younger

Ebolapox
03-01-2007, 09:09 PM
yep... enough patchwork 'rebuilds,' we need to go exclusively through the draft for when carl and herm are gone, we'll have a good nucleus of young talent

Skip Towne
03-01-2007, 09:10 PM
No one expects to build in one draft.

But you don't build SB winners via free agency.
Who was the Washington coach who always traded his draft picks for vets? He did very well doing that.

milkman
03-01-2007, 09:20 PM
Who was the Washington coach who always traded his draft picks for vets? He did very well doing that.

George Allen.

And he is, as you like to say, the exception that proves the rule.

But he also never won a SB.

Manila-Chief
03-01-2007, 09:23 PM
Skip, wasn't that George Allen? Did he win a S.B.?

Skip Towne
03-01-2007, 09:24 PM
George Allen.

And he is, as you like to say, the exception that proves the rule.

But he also never won a SB.
Yes, the exception but he proved it could be done. What he really proved was that he was a better judge of talent than the others.

milkman
03-01-2007, 09:25 PM
Skip, wasn't that George Allen? Did he win a S.B.?

:doh!:

Mecca
03-01-2007, 09:39 PM
Yeah, a good draft typically produces only a handful of decent players.

The Chiefs need to usher in a new era of youth, and they're not going to do it through the draft alone.

You don't get good young players in FA.......teams keep their top young talent. If any young talent does make it into FA you overpay in a bidding war.

Skip Towne
03-01-2007, 09:45 PM
I think what has been proved is that there are several ways to win a SB. Sometimes it is just the coach. Like the ledgendary Bum Phillips said about Don Shula, "He can take your'n and beat his'n or he can take his'n and beat your'n." That describes Marty as well. Yes, I know, Milkman, except in the playoffs.

milkman
03-01-2007, 09:54 PM
I think what has been proved is that there are several ways to win a SB. Sometimes it is just the coach. Like the ledgendary Bum Phillips said about Don Shula, "He can take your'n and beat his'n or he can take his'n and beat your'n." That describes Marty as well. Yes, I know, Milkman, except in the playoffs.

I don't know Skip.

I would imagine if you were to look at SB winners over the years, including the last several in the free agency era you'd find that the core of the majority of those teams were drafted by those teams.

Logical
03-01-2007, 10:17 PM
He's saying you're creating a thread to express an idea some of us had already expressed within other threads.While I have little doubt that is possible, you would have to open every thread to know if it was a topic from that day.

Laz sorry about that.

big nasty kcnut
03-01-2007, 10:52 PM
jim we not dead come on we get a wr and ot and a player for the d line we will be good.

beer bacon
03-01-2007, 11:11 PM
My guess is that by the end of the season certain people on this board will be convinced we are going to be winless next season. Furthermore, said posters will think a winless season would be a good thing.

DaneMcCloud
03-01-2007, 11:17 PM

No offense, Skip but this isn't 1972. The NFL has changed so dramatically that most of the old timers wouldn't have a clue as to how to run a team in today's NFL. It's so incredibly different, which is the main reason that many teams turn to younger, "hipper" coaches that can better relate to the players.

DaneMcCloud
03-01-2007, 11:19 PM
Ravens: through the draft
NE: through the draft
Indy: through the draft
Tamba Bay: through the draft (and a young head coach).

Even the teams they faced:

Rams: through the draft (and the Marshall Faulk trade)
Giants: through the draft
Carolina: through the draft
Philly: through the draft
Chicago: through the draft

Logical
03-01-2007, 11:33 PM
jim we not dead come on we get a wr and ot and a player for the d line we will be good.Who said anything about being dead. I stick by my statement that we are not championship caliber.

ChiefsFanatic
03-02-2007, 02:14 AM
We are tremendously far from being a championship caliber team so I say no free agents this year.

One possible exception would be an offensive tackle, but I don't know of any top notch young ones available.

I would like Adalius Thomas, and a young corner not named Jones.

Spott
03-02-2007, 04:16 AM
Kind of a moot point. Carl never gets anyone in free agency, no matter who is available. He always waits for all of the leftovers that noone else wanted.

Kerberos
03-02-2007, 05:01 AM
Kind of a moot point. Carl never gets anyone in free agency, no matter who is available. He always waits for all of the leftovers that noone else wanted.

Yup

Whatever is left at BUTT cheap prices. Bargain Basement Free Agency.

Learn it, Live it and Love it as long as King Carl is calling the shots.

But I also agree that it is NOT good practice to pay gargantuan amounts of cash for free agents expecting them to take you to the promise land.

See Dan Snyder and the DeadSkins for more details.

Mr. Laz
03-02-2007, 10:36 AM
While I have little doubt that is possible, you would have to open every thread to know if it was a topic from that day.

Laz sorry about that.
i was just kidding around with the repost shtick.

i started a similar thread and was just giving you shit. :)

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=158787

Brock
03-02-2007, 10:49 AM
You have to sign at least a couple of free agents. Hell, you're losing probably half a dozen players.

htismaqe
03-02-2007, 10:55 AM
You have to sign at least a couple of free agents. Hell, you're losing probably half a dozen players.

The key is to sign a Nap Harris or similar player instead of shelling out big bucks for the next Ed Hartwell or Kendrell Bell.

KurtCobain
03-02-2007, 11:30 AM
My thought is that this is

1 a weak free agent group
2 we can save cap space for when we really need it
3 get rid of some dead weight instead
4 get younger

I 100% agree with this statement. But I don't agree with your original post, stating that we have no chance at winning a championship this year. The chances are pretty low but we're not a HORRIBLE team. Mediocre teams win the big game™ all the time. I really doubt we get a top 15 draft pick next year or the next, so we won't be building shit. Especially not with King Carl drafting. And would you honestly want to have a couple of 3-13 seasons? It would be depressing and embarrassing. Like the Royals. I rather us be 8-8 and going nowhere rather than 3-13 and going nowhere.(Carl would draft a kicker with the first or second pick.)

htismaqe
03-02-2007, 11:32 AM
(Carl would draft a kicker with the first or second pick.)

Yeah, there's a MOUNTAIN of evidence to support that.

Reerun_KC
03-02-2007, 11:33 AM
Yeah, there's a MOUNTAIN of evidence to support that.

Carl prefers, T. Jenkins and R Sims type of players with the first round.

htismaqe
03-02-2007, 11:34 AM
Carl prefers, T. Jenkins and R Sims type of players with the first round.

Ryan Sims was 100%, unequivocally DICK VERMEIL'S pick. Unless you're calling Dick Vermeil a liar.

Reerun_KC
03-02-2007, 11:36 AM
Ryan Sims was 100%, unequivocally DICK VERMEIL'S pick. Unless you're calling Dick Vermeil a liar.

True he did that as a favor for this friend Bunting @ North Carolina....

DV is the sole reason we are stuck with this crap of a team that we have now.

Yes DV is a moron for thinking Ryan "drive thru" Simms is actually an NFL player.

htismaqe
03-02-2007, 11:38 AM
True he did that as a favor for this friend Bunting @ North Carolina....

DV is the sole reason we are stuck with this crap of a team that we have now.

Yes DV is a moron for thinking Ryan "drive thru" Simms is actually an NFL player.

DV wanted Tyler Brayton instead of Larry Johson. And if that wasn't bad enough, he then threw a baby fit and punished Johnson for it.

88TG88
03-02-2007, 11:39 AM
With carl at the helm this will NEVER happen. He always signs at least one FA

htismaqe
03-02-2007, 11:41 AM
With carl at the helm this will NEVER happen. He always signs at least one FA

As well he should. We won't be able to fill the roster without a few free agents.

Reerun_KC
03-02-2007, 11:49 AM
DV wanted Tyler Brayton instead of Larry Johson. And if that wasn't bad enough, he then threw a baby fit and punished Johnson for it.

DV's Neglect of the defense and total disregard of planning for the future has really left Herm in a crappy spot with this team

Thankfully Herm can judge talent and will fill the roster with solid players.

htismaqe
03-02-2007, 11:50 AM

Hopefully, he can fill it just in time for his contract to expire...

Reerun_KC
03-02-2007, 11:58 AM
Hopefully, he can fill it just in time for his contract to expire...

If we are lucky...

Heres to hoping that Carl and Herm leave the cupboard full.

http://www.virtualgravy.com/images/beer3.gif

TRR
03-02-2007, 12:20 PM
A rare year but I hope we sign NO free agents.

Which New Orleans free agents do you want?

Sorry, had to....

Oregon chief
03-02-2007, 12:39 PM
Can we still cut Bell this year? It would be nice to free up that cap space plus there is a ton of good linebackers out there right now. Anyone know the situation with him?

Iowanian
03-02-2007, 12:51 PM
I don't think the chiefs bring any "blockbuster" FAs into the team, but there are too many holes and losses of players to retirement-FA-Suckage to address everything through the draft.

I think we can look forward to the Chiefs bringing in some offensive linemen and some backup players the team feels are ascending....young, not expensive and have potential.

I doubt this FA year has any "woo hooo!" moments, but more "Who?Oh he played behind...and looked decent".

I've prepared myself.....Its time. Its time to cut some dead weight, say goodbye to some vets we like, and try to accumulate draft picks. The team needs to get younger and faster.

Short Leash Hootie
03-02-2007, 01:56 PM
I hope we don't overpay for free agents, but I certainly hope we sign some guys, that's for sure.

KCTitus
03-02-2007, 02:05 PM

I find this post uproariously funny...I mean when in the 10 years Ive known Logical has he ever thought of KC as 'championship' caliber? Heh...

FTR, there is no such thing as a young 'available' top notch OT...they are worth more than their weight in gold. To get a young top notch OT, you draft one, or in Marty's case, you draft 5.

Iowanian
03-02-2007, 02:31 PM
The Chiefs will surely look at some Olinemen.

We're not likely to see any big name, and I still suggest that someone like Mike Gandy, Luke Pedi-GOUT or the like are possible....Maybe McIntosh who was just released by Miami.

milkman
03-02-2007, 07:34 PM

I agree with you.

But I don't want to sign any big name free agents to try to build around.

I want to see the core of this team built through the draft, with free agents to fill in a couple of holes.

milkman
03-02-2007, 07:37 PM
DV's Neglect of the defense and total disregard of planning for the future has really left Herm in a crappy spot with this team

While I hated Dick as much as you hate Herman ****ing Edwards, I would not accuse him of of neglecting the defense.

The Chiefs spent numerous high draft picks on defensive talent.

The problem is, those guys turned out to be useless.

Logical
03-02-2007, 09:26 PM
I find this post uproariously funny...I mean when in the 10 years Ive known Logical has he ever thought of KC as 'championship' caliber? Heh...

FTR, there is no such thing as a young 'available' top notch OT...they are worth more than their weight in gold. To get a young top notch OT, you draft one, or in Marty's case, you draft 5.

Actually your archivists skills are better than your memory. I was a big believer in the Chiefs being Championship Caliber in 97 and 98, I was one of a huge number in 98, boy were we wrong. Gunther burnt me out on the Chiefs as a championship potential team and also soured me on Carl. You may not remember but prior to Gunther I was a big Carl defender. Course all that was in the days we were on the Star BB.

boogblaster
03-02-2007, 09:30 PM
Holes need to be filled..hopefully our O can rebirth itself this year .. Oline has to improve for sure ...

Logical
03-02-2007, 09:31 PM
The Chiefs will surely look at some Olinemen.

We're not likely to see any big name, and I still suggest that someone like Mike Gandy, Luke Pedi-GOUT or the like are possible....Maybe McIntosh who was just released by Miami.

As long as we don't bust the bank on them. Carl has a bad habit of overpaying 3rd tier free agents.