PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Pursuit Begins

Woodrow Call
03-02-2007, 08:33 AM
Chiefs’ pursuit begins

Four KC starters become unrestricted free agents as the signing deadline passes.

By ADAM TEICHER
The Kansas City Star

The Chiefs planned to head into free agency with four of their starters out looking for new places to play.

They were pessimistic about their chances of reaching a contract agreement by the Thursday night deadline with any of the four: linebacker Kawika Mitchell, offensive tackle Jordan Black and defensive tackles Ron Edwards and James Reed

Four other players — deep snapper Kendall Gammon, defensive lineman Jimmy Wilkerson, cornerback Lenny Walls and running back Dee Brown — were also scheduled to become unrestricted free agents when the signing period begins today.

The Chiefs also planned to make minimum one-year contract offers to defensive end Jared Allen, wide receiver Samie Parker, kicker Lawrence Tynes and four other players, making them restricted free agents.

The others are linebackers Keyaron Fox and Rich Scanlon, offensive lineman Kevin Sampson and cornerback Benny Sapp.

The Chiefs have the right to match any offer sheet any of the restricted free agents might sign with another team. In the case of Allen, who was offered $2.35 million, the Chiefs would receive first- and third-round draft picks if they decline to match his offer sheet.

The Chiefs can begin negotiating with other free agents as soon as today. President/general manager Carl Peterson declined an interview request but said last month he didn’t expect the Chiefs to be players in the early days of free agency, when many of the premium players sign and most of the high-dollar contracts are issued.

Mitchell would be one of the premier defensive players on the free agent market. The Chiefs’ second-round draft pick in 2003, Mitchell is 27 and played well the last two seasons after starting his NFL career slowly.

He said Thursday night his preference was to remain with the Chiefs but added, “I’m not married to anybody except my wife.”

The Chiefs have no viable safety net at left tackle if Black signs with another club. Kyle Turley began last season playing the position but chronic back problems forced him from the lineup and make his future less than certain.

The Chiefs would like to improve at defensive tackle, but their depth would suffer greatly if Edwards, Reed and Wilkerson depart. Wilkerson was the top reserve last season.

Their only other experienced defensive tackle is former No. 1 draft pick Ryan Sims, who quickly fell from favor with coach Herm Edwards and will likely be released in the spring.

In other news:

•The agent for quarterback Trent Green said neither he nor Green has spoken with the Chiefs since they re-signed Damon Huard early in the week. Peterson said at the start of the offseason he would ask Green to take a cut in his scheduled $7.2 million salary.

He has yet to make that request and the Chiefs have offered Green in a trade to other teams.

•The Chiefs failed to make a qualifying offer to injured fullback Ronnie Cruz, leaving him eligible to sign with other teams.

Cruz tore ligaments in his right knee in the middle of last season and may not be ready to participate when next season begins

Mecca
03-02-2007, 08:36 AM
If Kawika Mitchell is a premier FA this market is even worse than I thought......let him walk he's not worth it.

Hell most all of those guys who are FA's aren't worth bringing back.

Frazod
03-02-2007, 08:38 AM
Hey Shanahan - Jordan Black is a great offensive tackle. Truly, he's something special. I think you should sign him to a big money multi-year contract immediately. :titus:

Chiefs Pantalones
ROFL

This reads like a high school article.

Arrowhead Pride
Trent seems to be getting the run around a bit. We haven't talked with him yet but we've already offered him in trades?

<a href="http://www.arrowheadpride.com">Arrowhead Pride</a>

el borracho
03-02-2007, 09:24 AM
Mitchell, Black, Edwards, Reed, Gammon, Wilkerson, Walls, Brown, Allen, Parker, Tynes, Fox, Scanlon, Sampson, Sapp.

What a bunch of garbage. Of those 15, only Allen and Wilkerson would be missed. I wouldn't mind seeing Mitchell, Tynes and Fox return for cheap competition, but I also wouldn't cry if they left.

Frankie
03-02-2007, 09:30 AM
Hey Shanahan - Jordan Black is a great offensive tackle. Truly, he's something special. I think you should sign him to a big money multi-year contract immediately. :titus:
Reply from Shanahan:

"Can he chop block?"

Frankie
03-02-2007, 09:31 AM
WHY IS WILKERSON BEING IGNORED?!!

kepp
03-02-2007, 09:32 AM
You may be right, actually. All he has to do to cut block is fall down.

TrickyNicky
03-02-2007, 09:33 AM
Are you saying you won't miss Kendall Gammon? The greatest LS to ever put on a KC uniform?

Woodrow Call
03-02-2007, 09:35 AM
WHY IS WILKERSON BEING IGNORED?!!

I'm not sure. He is the best DT the Chiefs have plus he could fill in for Allen the 1st 4 games.

I hope he comes back.

dirk digler
03-02-2007, 09:37 AM
Damn we better sign Kendall

el borracho
03-02-2007, 09:49 AM
Are you saying you won't miss Kendall Gammon? The greatest LS to ever put on a KC uniform?
I won't miss Gammon one bit.

tyton75
03-02-2007, 09:51 AM
I'm excited.. one way or another this team is going to look a LOT different next year

Woodrow Call
03-02-2007, 09:52 AM
Damn we better sign Kendall

I think Adam Johnson will take over this year.

NewChief
03-02-2007, 09:59 AM
Trent seems to be getting the run around a bit. We haven't talked with him yet but we've already offered him in trades?

<a href="http://www.arrowheadpride.com">Arrowhead Pride</a>

I said as much in another thread. Evidently this is the first time in his career that he's gotten this treatment where moves like this were made without even talking to him about them. Really ironic, since Carl used to be his bestest buddy, taking him and his family to the Kentucky Derby every year and acting like he was a true friend.

Knob
03-02-2007, 10:00 AM
Scanlon ........Don't let him get away Carl, he's all we got left as chief fans. :rolleyes:

Fish
03-02-2007, 10:10 AM
I won't miss Gammon one bit.

2005 Chiefs vs. Cowboys.....

el borracho
03-02-2007, 10:21 AM
2005 Chiefs vs. Cowboys.....
How many games do we lose each year because Gammon is holding that roster spot?

Fish
03-02-2007, 10:30 AM

Who else are you suggesting would mean the difference between winning and losing a game that is not on the game day roster?

Besides Scanlon......

el borracho
03-02-2007, 10:34 AM
Hmm, I don't know. Each year it is someone different. Perhaps Ryan Lilja would still be a Chief if his roster spot wasn't occupied by a long snapper. Fred Layne? Marcus Maxey? Other?

Frankie
03-02-2007, 11:54 AM
I'm not sure. He is the best DT the Chiefs have plus he could fill in for Allen the 1st 4 games.

I hope he comes back.The man played his heart out. He must be re-signed.

Reaper16
03-02-2007, 01:25 PM
The man played his heart out. He must be re-signed.
Yup. We really need his versatility on the line.

KCTitus
03-02-2007, 01:28 PM
Who else are you suggesting would mean the difference between winning and losing a game that is not on the game day roster?

Besides Scanlon......

LMAO..

the Talking Can
03-02-2007, 01:30 PM
Wilkerson is the only must sign on that list...he is exactly the type of FA I hope we pick off from other teams....young, hard working, versatile, cheap, productive....

ChiefsCountry
03-02-2007, 01:34 PM

Every freaking team keeps a spot for a long snapper.

Frankie
03-02-2007, 01:51 PM
Yup. We really need his versatility on the line.
Not to mention rewarding him for his good play. Here we have the most productive D-lineman beside Hali and Allen and we are telling him to go sign with someone else. :banghead:

Halfcan
03-02-2007, 03:02 PM
Mitchell, Black, Edwards, Reed, Gammon, Wilkerson, Walls, Brown, Allen, Parker, Tynes, Fox, Scanlon, Sampson, Sapp.

What a bunch of garbage. Of those 15, only Allen and Wilkerson would be missed. I wouldn't mind seeing Mitchell, Tynes and Fox return for cheap competition, but I also wouldn't cry if they left.

yep what he said

Bowser
03-02-2007, 03:27 PM
Yeah, the Chiefs came storming out of the gate.

htismaqe
03-02-2007, 03:31 PM
Yeah, the Chiefs came storming out of the gate.

Yeah, it's too bad we missed out on guys like Jeff Garcia and Jake Plummer...

Bowser
03-02-2007, 03:35 PM
Yeah, it's too bad we missed out on guys like Jeff Garcia and Jake Plummer...

Have faith. Hartwell is just sitting out there, like a ripe apple on a tree....

Count Zarth
03-02-2007, 03:37 PM
I said as much in another thread. Evidently this is the first time in his career that he's gotten this treatment where moves like this were made without even talking to him about them. Really ironic, since Carl used to be his bestest buddy, taking him and his family to the Kentucky Derby every year and acting like he was a true friend.

I think it has everything to do with the head coach. Not that I'm saying it's a negative. Just a difference I've noticed.