PDA

View Full Version : Pontoon Boat...........talk to me.

Bwana
03-03-2007, 06:54 PM
Do any of you own one of those portable one man pontoon boats? I am going to invest in one, but I want to know a little bit more about them. I know that they go from a Class 1 through a class 5 river rating. I have no burning desire to shoot class five rapids over by Jackson Hole with a fly rod in my hand so I really don't need something like that. I also see that you can put an electric motor on the back of them and cruise around the lakes and rivers................that I warm up to. (On a side note, how fast would a 50 thrust electric motor make one of those things go, 5MPH?)

Other than that, I plan to pack it on the back of my Polaris 700 ATV up to various mountain lakes and use it. Any thought on various models or things I should consider before picking one up?

Bwana
03-03-2007, 07:11 PM
For those of you who have zero clue WTH I'm talking about, I offer this delightful photo aid. :)

Demonpenz
03-03-2007, 07:13 PM
just get a real boat. Like a marada

Demonpenz
03-03-2007, 07:13 PM
stuff

Demonpenz
03-03-2007, 07:15 PM
damnit sorry i thought you ment to boat. Disreguard the idiot

Bwana
just get a real boat. Like a marada
I would in a heartbeat if there were more lakes around here, but 95% of my fishing is on high mountain lakes or rivers.

CoMoChief
For those of you who have zero clue WTH I'm talking about, I offer this delightful photo aid. :)

Put a 25 horse on the back of that thing and they can move. I used to see them at Lake Jacomo all the time when I used to work at the Marina

Skip Towne
03-03-2007, 07:17 PM
Don't you have enough toys?

Bwana
03-03-2007, 07:20 PM
Put a 25 horse on the back of that thing and they can move. I used to see them at Lake Jacomo all the time when I used to work at the Marina

Really, well hell, I guess I could troll with it as well then. Rod in the rod holder, left hand on the motor control and a tasty beverage in the other..........sounds about right. I know they have beverage holders built into them as well in the event a fish has the stones to bug me and take my bait.

Bwana
03-03-2007, 07:21 PM
Don't you have enough toys?
ROFL

Good Gawd No!!

~Wondering if my wife hacked into Skips account?~

rtmike
03-03-2007, 07:37 PM
I'm of no help. It looks like a kick in the pants tho.

Years ago when I was in the field we went out on some logging road to set bridge beams for a bridge that had been washed out. On the other end of it miles down the road was a lake that hadn't been fished in years. Always wanted to make the trip back up there and fish it. Lots of lakes like you mention out here that are only accessible by an ATV or foot.

Halfcan
03-03-2007, 07:41 PM
That looks badass-good luck!

Bwana
03-03-2007, 07:47 PM
I'm of no help. It looks like a kick in the pants tho.

Years ago when I was in the field we went out on some logging road to set bridge beams for a bridge that had been washed out. On the other end of it miles down the road was a lake that hadn't been fished in years. Always wanted to make the trip back up there and fish it. Lots of lakes like you mention out here that are only accessible by an ATV or foot.

I hear that, or horse and I got rid of my hay burners a long time ago. ;) Nothing like getting way back in there and hitting waters where you won't see another person all day is there? I have a buddy of mine I ATV with all the time that I went with last year and used one of his float tubes and had a blast, We got to places of the lake where no one had ever been.

It was 15 miles back there before we even got to the lake on ATV's and I'm talking tail busting trail. From talking to other people, the one man pontoon boats are a lot better than a float tube as far as getting around. I guess there is a huge differance on a river. I am busting my azz this year, so when it comes time to take some time off on the weekends and vacation, I want to spend even more time up in the mountains fishing and this thing will get me way back in the hidden areas where the Monster Hawgs lurk. :)

Bwana
03-03-2007, 08:06 PM
This bad boy pictured is loaded with the upgrade seat and the trolling motor. Daddy like...............:drool:

Phobia
03-03-2007, 08:19 PM
It doesn't look like there's very much room for beer onboard.

Bwana
03-04-2007, 08:52 AM

Heh! I bet a guy can get a case on that thing and not even notice it's there, which is more than this boat jockey would ever down. Hell, I'm only good for three or four these days. I am more concerned about if all my other gear will fit on there. ;) (such as tackle, coats and dancing girls)

Bwana
03-05-2007, 07:36 AM
OK, I'm going to let the week day crew take a crack at this, any takers?

Dartgod
03-05-2007, 07:47 AM
OK, I'm going to let the week day crew take a crack at this, any takers?Our friend Bill (from the tailgate crew) has one, but he just uses the oars that came with it. A few of us have float tubes and we usually take them up river when we go on float trips and fish all the way back to camp.

Anyway, although you will be using yours in a different situation, I prefer the float tube to the pontoon. It seems that ol' Bill is always struggling to keep his pontoon pointed in the right direction, while a couple of kicks of the flippers will usually right the float tube.

This is the float tube that we have:

http://image.basspro.com/images/images2/71500/71976.jpg

NewChief
03-05-2007, 08:50 AM
Bwana,

You've already shown a picture of the one you should get, if you have the money. Everyone says that Scadden's are the "best." FYI: Here's a thread about selecting a pontoon boat:
http://outdoorsbest.zeroforum.com/zerothread?id=562972

HonestChieffan
03-05-2007, 08:57 AM

Beer is towed

Dartgod
03-05-2007, 09:10 AM
Beer is towed
Yep.

This http://image.basspro.com/images/images2/71500/71976.jpg + http://www.psndealer.com/dealersite/images/americasmotorsports/yamcooler190.jpg

while floating down the river = Fishing and drinking fun.

stumppy
03-05-2007, 09:14 AM
Personally I'd get one with a bottom in it rather than foot rests. It's nice to be able to just lay something down and not have to worry about watching it drop to the bottom. I'd also rather have a small gas motor than just an elec. trolling motor. Trolling against the current will run a battery down real fast.

Oh yea, one last thing you might want to do. Pick out the exact one you want. The one that seems perfect to you. And buy one the next size bigger. I don't think I've ever met a boat owner who didn't want a boat just a little bit bigger. :-)

Demonpenz
03-05-2007, 10:01 AM
Did anyone do any fishing this weekend? I went down to the river and fished for awhile with worms. No luck. A giant ass cat did come up from behind me and scared the shit out of me. I don't know how to transfer pics from my camera or I would post them.

Radar Chief
03-05-2007, 10:10 AM
Did anyone do any fishing this weekend?

Fished a farm pond, that is basically a dammed up creek, and caught a small channel cat on livers and a small flat head on a minnow. 1 to 1 ½ pounds, but they were my first fish of the year. PBJ

Demonpenz
03-05-2007, 10:13 AM
Fished a farm pond, that is basically a dammed up creek, and caught a small channel cat on livers and a small flat head on a minnow. 1 to 1 ½ pounds, but they were my first fish of the year. PBJ

I wasn't really planning on going I don't think I had my worm to the bottom where I cats would be feeding. It was good to get out there though even if was beerless and sitting on a log. Lots of people fishing on the missouri river with small boats. I was pretty scared for them actually haha

ROYC75
03-05-2007, 10:15 AM
Can't help much, this is what I have for our local strip pits.

http://dun.imageg.net/graphics/product_images/p581980reg.jpg

jidar
03-05-2007, 10:17 AM
Along those lines, I'm the opposite of an outdoorsman so I'm not sure where to go with this.. but

I'm thinking of getting a small boat for my son and I to fish the local pits and lakes from. Mainly I want something affordable and I've been been eying these small plastic green two-seaters they have at the local sporting goods store. It looks like something I could pick up and carry (maybe not?) and would fit on top of my Grand Cherokee for transportation without a trailer.
Not sure if that's what I want or not.. anyone have any experience with those?

Edit: That picture Roy just posted is exactly what I'm talking about.

jidar
03-05-2007, 10:21 AM
Can't help much, this is what I have for our local strip pits.

http://dun.imageg.net/graphics/product_images/p581980reg.jpg

What do you call that?

Phobia
03-05-2007, 10:25 AM
What do you call that?

It's called a raft with office chairs.

Radar Chief
03-05-2007, 10:36 AM
What do you call that?

We call’m a "Scamp" but I’ve been try’n to Google pictures and keep come’n up with something different.
How old is your boy? If’es a young’n, I’d look for more of a boat with high sides that they can’t tip over as easily, or fall out of.

NewChief
03-05-2007, 10:44 AM
There's always this:
http://www.fishindog.com/blog/images/boat.jpg

Scaga
03-05-2007, 11:55 AM
Pontoon boat? What you going to do with a pontoon boat? Retake Omaha Beach???

The Great Outdoors...
Funny Stuff.

PastorMikH
03-05-2007, 02:30 PM
This bad boy pictured is loaded with the upgrade seat and the trolling motor. Daddy like...............:drool:

Where do you put the spotlight, .22 and the deer on that thing? I'd also be concerned about a trolling motor. Could you put an outboard on that? Seems to me it would be easier getting away from angry forest rangers if you had something bigger than a trolling motor.

Radar Chief
03-05-2007, 02:39 PM
Where do you put the spotlight, .22 and the deer on that thing? I'd also be concerned about a trolling motor. Could you put an outboard on that? Seems to me it would be easier getting away from angry forest rangers if you had something bigger than a trolling motor.

An outboard would probably make that thing scarey, like a flat rock skip’n ‘cross the water.
On second thought, sign me up. Sounds like fun. ;)

ROYC75
03-05-2007, 02:41 PM
What do you call that?

Some of the names range from Water Scamp to Bass Buggy.

It's a 1 or 2 man fiberglass boat. easy to load and unload by yourself. I have a 16 # trolling motor on it , it scoots across the water well.

Bwana
03-06-2007, 09:49 AM

Valid points Mike! ROFL

Bwana
03-06-2007, 09:55 AM
Bwana,

You've already shown a picture of the one you should get, if you have the money. Everyone says that Scadden's are the "best." FYI: Here's a thread about selecting a pontoon boat:
http://outdoorsbest.zeroforum.com/zerothread?id=562972

Very good read. I still need to figure out which trolling motor to buy. I see you can get several different motors with different thrust ratings. I wouldn't think a dinker pontoon boat would need all that much thrust to get around. I have to stick to electric because I take it into some wilderness areas when no gas engines are allowed and it and the trolling motor will be on the back of the ATV driven in as much as 20 miles at times.

Anyone have the 101 on trolling engines they could share?? I don't have clue one about them. :hmmm:

BTW: there was some very good advise so far in this thread....

NewChief
04-08-2007, 08:08 PM
Not sure if you've made a decision yet, but another thread on 'toons came up on the Rocky Mountain forum of that same board. This one got quite a bit more heated with a lot more opinions expressed on the pros and cons of various brands. It's also ongoing:
http://outdoorsbest.zeroforum.com/zerothread?id=605093