PDA

View Full Version : Open casting call

FDS
03-03-2007, 08:20 PM
...for all Samie haters out there.

Geico's Cavemen May Get Own TV Series
Mar 3, 2:39 PM EST

The Associated Press

NEW YORK -- Those Geico "cavemen" shouldn't be so upset after all they may get their own television series. ABC said Friday it had ordered a pilot for a comedy, tentatively titled "Cavemen," that features the characters used in a series of ads by the insurance company.

In the ads, cavemen appear insulted by a Geico pitchman's claim that the company's Web site is so easy to use that "even a caveman can do it."

The potential series, one of 14 pilots that will be produced by Touchstone Television this spring, features the cavemen as they "struggle with prejudice on a daily basis as they strive to live the lives of normal thirty-somethings in 2007 Atlanta."

It's unusual for characters from an advertising campaign to move into shows of their own, but not unprecedented. The CBS comedy "Baby Bob" featured a talking baby that had been used in several advertisements, according to Daily Variety.

The advertising copywriter who helped create the "cavemen" ads is writing the pilot, the studio said.

A pilot order is no guarantee a show will make it on the air; in fact, the majority of pilots don't make it that far.

Phobia
03-03-2007, 08:21 PM
Maybe they could cast a big, fat, lazy caveman named Ryan?

FDS
03-03-2007, 08:23 PM
All the Brontosaurs burgers he can wolf down. ROFL

PBJ FirstDownSamie PBJ

noa
03-03-2007, 08:24 PM
Those commercials are already stale, how do they think they can sustain a series?

Lzen
03-03-2007, 08:37 PM
I hate those Geico commercials. This is a terrible idea.

cdcox
03-03-2007, 08:41 PM

I imagine it does hit a little to close to home for KU grads. :p

Bill Parcells
03-03-2007, 08:43 PM
<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/H02iwWCrXew"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/H02iwWCrXew" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

PBJ bill parcells PBJ

FDS
03-04-2007, 06:36 AM
"Waiter, change that order from Oregan Duck to crow with the mango salsa."

Fishpicker
03-04-2007, 07:02 AM
the humor is pretty lame in those commercials. the hisssshhhhing sound of the actors' voices annoys the piss out of me

Thig Lyfe
03-04-2007, 08:31 AM
I LOVE those commercials. They tend to be funnier (and smarter) than the show that's on at the time. I hope they retained the same creative team that made the commercials. It's going to be interesting to see how this turns out.

"It's my mother. I'll put it on speaker."

Gets me every time! ROFL

StcChief
03-04-2007, 08:35 AM
This is DOA.

Phobia
03-04-2007, 08:40 AM

Almost every successful sitcom concept seemed to be a horrible idea in theory. It's really going to come down to quality writing and the actors chosen.

At least it's not another sitcom with the fat, nasty husband and brutally hot wife. I've had quite enough of those, thankyouverymuch.

Thig Lyfe
03-04-2007, 08:42 AM
This is DOA.

Not so fast! I can understand why people are dismissing this, but I think it deserves a chance. I read that it's going to be single camera, meaning it will be more like Arrested Development or The Office and less like crappy laugh track studio sitcoms like... well, everything on CBS. This will be a turn-off for the millions of Americans who no like thinking when watching TV, but it shows some promise that at least the quality and intelligence will be there. Hopefully, if it turns out to be a good show, ABC acts more like NBC has with The Office and less like how Fox did with Arrested Development. You've got to give these shows a chance to find its audience.

Bwana
03-04-2007, 09:41 AM
This show is going to sink faster than a rock tossed off the back of a boat. I thought the spots were OK when they first came out, but as time goes on, the Caveman comes off more and more as an over senative tree hugging PETA member.

Direckshun
03-04-2007, 09:42 AM
Those commercials are hysterical.

"Looks like somebody woke up on the wrong side of the rock."

Thig Lyfe
03-04-2007, 11:39 AM
<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/gASTTppXM48"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/gASTTppXM48" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

siberian khatru
03-04-2007, 11:47 AM
At least it's not another sitcom with the fat, nasty husband and brutally hot wife. I've had quite enough of those, thankyouverymuch.

Yeah, why watch it when you live it every day?

:p

Ari Chi3fs
03-04-2007, 11:50 AM
Id rather see a sitcom with the two dudes from teh Sonic commercials... and I don't really like those guys.

Skip Towne
03-04-2007, 11:59 AM
I liked those commercials the first 3257 times I saw them. Now, not so much.

Phobia
03-04-2007, 12:02 PM
Yeah, why watch it when you live it every day?

:p
Now that's just rude and hurtful. I may be plenty fat but I am not nasty - all the time.

Buck
03-04-2007, 02:36 PM
Jake Plummer anybody?

http://msnbcmedia.msn.com/j/getty/56625039bb001_denver_bronco.widec.jpg

Stewie
03-04-2007, 02:39 PM
Just more proof that the networks are out of ideas. Or they don't hire people who have creativity/ideas/humor.

FDS
03-04-2007, 02:44 PM
Rhonda Moss could win a emmy.

alpha_omega
03-04-2007, 03:12 PM
A pilot order is no guarantee a show will make it on the air; in fact, the majority of pilots don't make it that far.

VINCENT: What's a pilot?

JULES: Well, you know the shows on TV?

VINCENT: I don't watch TV.

JULES: Yes, but you're aware that there's an invention called television, and on that invention they show shows?

VINCENT: Yeah.

JULES: Well, the way they pick the shows on TV is they make one show, and that show's called a pilot. And they show that one show to the people who pick the shows, and on the strength of that one show, they decide if they want to make more shows. Some get accepted and become TV programs, and some don't, and become nothing. She starred in one of the ones that became nothing.

Halfcan
03-04-2007, 03:37 PM
I hate those commercials!

Thig Lyfe
03-04-2007, 04:34 PM
Id rather see a sitcom with the two dudes from teh Sonic commercials... and I don't really like those guys.

I love those commercials! TJ Jagadowski is an improv genius and is a legend in Chicago. A show with those two guys would have potential, too.

Just more proof that the networks are out of ideas. Or they don't hire people who have creativity/ideas/humor.

Some networks are out of ideas (CBS). But others are starting to gravitate towards more daring television. NBC is the best example; I don't think they have a single laugh track sitcom right now. With this, ABC is willing to take a chance on a single camera show with a cool concept (3 cavemen coping with prejudice in modern Atlanta). I think that shows way more balls than another standard family sitcom (cough, cough... CBS). Sure, you won't get all the lemmings that CBS gets, but you do get smarter viewers and higher quality entertainment. If a show is good and finds its audience, you'll find your advertisers.

BigMeatballDave
03-04-2007, 04:45 PM
I hate those Geico commercials. This is a terrible idea.Sounds like sombody woke up on the wrong side of the rock...

TinyEvel
03-04-2007, 11:18 PM
It can possibly be pretty funny.
I like those ads.

Chief Chief
03-05-2007, 07:46 AM
The TOP 10 current and former Atlanta-area residents who would be natural guest stars on this TV series:

10 - Julia Roberts
9 - Ludacris
8 - Jane Fonda
7 - Whitney Houston
6 - Ted Turner
5 - Little Richard
4 - Jeff Foxworthy
3 - Jennifer Wilbanks
2 - Bobby Brown
...and Number 1...
Nancy Grace!!

kepp
03-05-2007, 07:56 AM
I really enjoy the commercials and I'll watch the show to see if it is good, but I don't have high hopes for it. Hollywood always thinks they need to change something when they remake/extend it.

elvomito
05-15-2007, 11:44 AM
i guess it is official now.

http://www.reuters.com/article/entertainmentNews/idUSN1535421320070515?feedType=RSS&rpc=22&pageNumber=1

NEW YORK/LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - ABC on Tuesday announced plans for 12 new television shows next season, including a spinoff of its hit hospital drama "Grey's Anatomy" and a caveman comedy based on the popular Geico insurance commercials.
The network even picked up a comedy called "Cavemen," adapted from the Geico commercials as an offbeat commentary on ethnic prejudice from the perspective of three prehistoric guys trying to make their way in the modern world.