PDA

View Full Version : ***Official Royals Spring Training Thread***

PunkinDrublic
03-04-2007, 08:54 AM
COUNTDOWN TO OPENING DAY: 29 DAYS
ROYALS DAY IN CAMP
The Kansas City Star
“I don’t think I have reason to be concerned at not doing well in my first outing. The main thing is I got my work in, and I feel good.”
Royals starter Odalis Perez after allowing four runs and five hits in 1 1/3 innings.

RANGERS 8, ROYALS 5

GAME SUMMARY

Neither Odalis Perez nor Todd Wellemeyer succeeded Saturday in lasting his scheduled three innings in an 8-5 loss to the Texas Rangers at Surprise Stadium.

Perez exited after allowing four runs and five hits in a forgettable 1 1/3 innings. Wellemeyer worked two scoreless innings before giving up three runs in the sixth without recording an out.

The Royals finished with 13 hits, including homers by Mark Teahen and John Buck.

WHO’S HOT/ WHO’S NOT

Outfielder Joey Gathright was both. He was thrown out easily after getting a bad jump in attempting to steal second base in the first inning. But he tied the game at 4-4 with a two-out RBI single in the sixth.

Outfield prospect Billy Butler continues to cement his great-hit, no-field reputation. He had a double and a single in three at-bats but misplayed a fly ball in left field that turned a single into a double.

Andres Blanco had three hits in four at-bats.

REGULAR GUYS

Teahen also made a nice running catch in right field . Angel Berroa stranded runners in scoring position in his first two at-bats before getting a two-out single in the sixth with nobody on base.

SICK BAY

Reliever Ryan Braun was pulled from his scheduled appearance after experiencing migraine headaches. Shortstop Angel Sanchez is increasing his workout after being limited by a sore elbow.

Relievers Joe Nelson and Joel Peralta each expressed satisfaction after throwing bullpen workouts for the first time in more than a week.

NOTABLES

•The season opener April 2 against Boston is officially a sellout after a brisk first day of single-game sales. “This is the best first day of sales for the Royals in over 15 years,” ticket director Lance Buckley said.

•Gil Meche will make his next start Wednesday in a “B” game against Texas. That enables him to avoid a matchup against division-rival Chicago — and a trip to Tucson, Ariz.

ON DECK

Zack Greinke makes his spring debut today in a planned three-inning performance in relief of starter Luke Hudson when the Royals conclude a three-game weekend series against campus co-tenant Texas. Octavio Dotel, John Bale, Jason Standridge and Neal Musser are also scheduled to pitch.

• Royals (RHP Luke Hudson) vs. Rangers (RHP Brandon McCarthy) at 2:05 p.m. in Surprise, Ariz.

PunkinDrublic
03-04-2007, 08:56 AM
Nice to see Teahen playing well coming out of off season surgery and rehab.

Stewie
03-04-2007, 09:26 AM
I'm in Phoenix on business in a week. I'm hoping to catch a Royal's practice or hopefully a game. I'm pumped about this year.

acesn8s
03-04-2007, 09:32 AM
Teahen and Gordon 3-4 in the lineup.
That makes slappy happy

jeffery
03-04-2007, 10:47 AM
haha haha haha... i am stationed at luke afb and live about ten minutes away from surprise stadium. went to the game on saturday and wasnt that impressed. though it is spring traing both teams suck. i did see a kid get nailed with a fouled off line drive by a fag tex ranger. and an autistic girl point and laugh as the kid was crying. but overall very intertaining for 30 bucks(my wife and I)

milkman
03-04-2007, 11:04 AM
haha haha haha... i am stationed at luke afb and live about ten minutes away from surprise stadium. went to the game on saturday and wasnt that impressed. though it is spring traing both teams suck. i did see a kid get nailed with a fouled off line drive by a Rump Ranger tex ranger. and an autistic girl point and laugh as the kid was crying. but overall very intertaining for 30 bucks(my wife and I)

Holy crap.

I hope you don't have any important job in the AF.

iwasthere
03-04-2007, 11:32 AM
anyone else try to get tickets yesterday when they went on sale for opening day? What a complete cluster-f*ck.

PinkFloyd
03-04-2007, 11:43 AM
anyone else try to get tickets yesterday when they went on sale for opening day? What a complete cluster-f*ck.

I had to work yesterday as did another friend of mine... So; we asked another friend to get up early and get us some seats... The turd head didn't get up til almost 10am, and then was only able to get us STANDING ROOM ONLY !!!!!

He's a cheap turd, so I imagine he took the least expensive route... First time in 30 years I'm not in a seat on opening day !!! :cuss: :banghead: :cuss: :banghead:

I've been to every opening day since I was 12.... Skipping school was awesome back then...

iwasthere
03-04-2007, 12:08 PM
After standing in a "virtual waiting room" forever, then being allowed in, told the server was busy, starting over again in the "waiting room", told there were no 2 seats together, searching again, I got 1 ticket in the lower infield row AA. I need 2 at least however. I prob try to sell it on ebay to help pay for the 2 nosebleeds I'm going to have to buy on ebay.

PinkFloyd
03-04-2007, 12:37 PM
After standing in a "virtual waiting room" forever, then being allowed in, told the server was busy, starting over again in the "waiting room", told there were no 2 seats together, searching again, I got 1 ticket in the lower infield row AA. I need 2 at least however. I prob try to sell it on ebay to help pay for the 2 nosebleeds I'm going to have to buy on ebay.

I'm thinking the same thing... I'd give up those damn SRO tickets for a seat...

chief52
03-04-2007, 12:47 PM
I'm in Phoenix on business in a week. I'm hoping to catch a Royal's practice or hopefully a game. I'm pumped about this year.

The park in Surprise is nice. Kick back...swill a beer. AHHHH, Spring Training. Wish I was down there.

shrek6849
03-04-2007, 02:19 PM
How is Gordon doing so far this spring?

siberian khatru
03-04-2007, 02:40 PM
BTW, Grudz will have surgery to repair a torn meniscus in his knee. German will open the season as the 2B.

L.A. Chieffan
03-04-2007, 02:47 PM
Perez is horrible. One of the best days for the Dodgers last season was getting rid of that lop.

beavis
03-04-2007, 02:53 PM
BTW, Grudz will have surgery to repair a torn meniscus in his knee. German will open the season as the 2B.
That sucks. Where'd you hear that? All I can find is he went in for an MRI.

siberian khatru
03-04-2007, 02:55 PM
That sucks. Where'd you hear that? All I can find is he went in for an MRI.

http://rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=MLB&id=2042

SPchief
03-04-2007, 03:05 PM
How long is he out?

acesn8s
03-04-2007, 04:17 PM
How long is he out?Indefinetly

PinkFloyd
03-04-2007, 05:58 PM
How long is he out?

If your talking about Griz --- it's 4-6 weeks... Minor surgery is all... I had the same tear, and was back out playing in 5 weeks...

PunkinDrublic
03-05-2007, 10:00 AM
COUNTDOWN TO OPENING DAY: 28 days
ROYALS' DAY IN CAMP
The Kansas City Star
“It was supposed to be a sinker, and I just left it up. I just put it on a tee for him. It sped up his bat, and it was right in his wheelhouse. It was a bad pitch, but I made a bunch of bad pitches in the first two innings.”
| Royals pitcher Luke Hudson on Sammy Sosa’s home run

RANGERS 5, ROYALS 0

Game summary

The Royals managed just three hits Sunday in a 5-0 loss to the Texas Rangers at Surprise Stadium.

Rangers right fielder Sammy Sosa delighted the crowd of 4,955 by hammering a leadoff homer in the second inning against Royals starter Luke Hudson.

It was a no-doubt bomb deep onto the grass berm beyond the left-field wall.

Texas starter Brandon McCarthy struck out four in two innings and got the victory.

Arms race

Zack Greinke breezed through a one-two-three fourth, including an inning-ending strikeout of Sosa, before getting roughed up for three runs and four hits in the fifth. Ian Kinsler’s two-run homer was the big blow.

Closer Octavio Dotel made his spring debut by working one scoreless inning. He gave up one hit and had one strikeout.

Hudson worked around some early wildness by getting a double play on a hopper back to the mound in the first. He retired eight of his last nine hitters — the exception being Sosa’s homer.

Regular guys

Third baseman Alex Gordon broke a zero-for-six spring with a line-drive single in the second inning. First baseman Ryan Shealy took away a hit from Frank Catalanotto with a nice diving stop on a grounder up the line for the final out in the third. Center fielder David DeJesus is now zero for nine after going hitless in three at-bats.

Moves and deals

The Royals are initiating an alumni guest instructor program today that will run during the next three weeks in minor-league camp. Plans call for 12 former players to participate.

This week: Larry Gura, Jeff Montgomery and Joe Randa. March 12-16: Steve Busby, Dennis Leonard, Brian McRae and Willie Wilson. March 19-22: Mike Boddicker, John Mayberry, Fred Patek, Marty Pattin and Paul Splittorff.

“The Royals feel that it is important,” farm director J.J. Picollo said, “for our young players to understand and appreciate the rich baseball tradition that exists in Kansas City.”

Notables

•Broadcaster Denny Matthews threw out the first pitch in recognition of his recent election to the Hall of Fame. George Brett was the catcher.

•Ex-Royal Mike Wood closed out the victory with a one-two-three ninth inning. Another ex-Royal, Desi Relaford, went one for two with a double.

•The Royals have only one more spring game against campus co-tenant Texas — the Arizona finale for both teams on March 29.

TODAY'S GAME

Royals (LHP Jorge De La Rosa) vs. Padres (RHP Jake Peavy), at 2:05 p.m. in Surprise, Ariz.

Plans call for Brandon Duckworth to work two innings after Jorge De La Rosa pitches three in today’s game against San Diego. David Riske, Jimmy Gobble, Wayne Franklin and Roberto Giron are also scheduled to pitch.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
| Bob Dutton, bdutton@kcstar.com

PunkinDrublic
03-06-2007, 08:45 AM
COUNTDOWN TO OPENING DAY: 27 days
ROYALS' DAY IN CAMP
The Kansas City Star
“It felt good, and it was a real test to face (Jake) Peavy right out of the chute.”
| Mike Sweeney on going one for three in playing for the first time this spring

Royals 9, Padres 4

Ryan Shealy’s second homer of the spring highlighted a 14-hit attack Monday that carried the Royals to a 9-4 victory over the San Diego Padres at Surprise Stadium.

Royals starter Jorge De La Rosa left the game in the third inning after being hit on the first two fingers of his pitching hand by a liner off the bat of Todd Walker. De La Rosa said he’ll be able to throw today in his next scheduled bullpen workout.

“I’m OK,” he said. “But when it happened, I couldn’t feel my fingers.”

The Royals, 2-3, put the game away with a four-run seventh inning.

Arms race

De La Rosa got roughed up even before getting smacked by Walker’s comebacker. He gave up booming homers to Terrmel Sledge and Mike Cameron, and was spared further damage by web-gem defensive plays on low liners by third baseman Alex Gordon and shortstop Alex Gonzalez.

Reliever David Riske, in his spring debut, gave up one run on two doubles in one inning. He was signed in the offseason to serve as the club’s primary right-handed set-up man.

Brandon Duckworth threw free and easy in breezing through six hitters, with two strikeouts, in his first game action since undergoing surgery last August to remove bone chips from his elbow.

Regular guys

DH Mike Sweeney played for the first time this spring and went one for three before exiting for a pinch runner in the fifth inning. Sweeney is healthy, but the Royals are limiting his appearances in an effort to keep him that way.

David DeJesus drew a walk but otherwise went zero for three and is now hitless in 12 at-bats.

Mark Teahen continues to look at home in right field. He made a nice catch against the wall on Sledge’s deep drive in the third inning.

Sick bay

Shortstop Angel Sanchez, limited recently by a sore elbow, made his spring debut with a pinch single in the four-run seventh.

Moves and deals

Minor-league infielder Richie Lewis was reassigned to the big-league camp to provide depth in compensation for the injury to Mark Grudzielanek. Lewis, 26, marked the occasion with a two-run single in the seventh. The Royals obtained Lewis from the Cubs last December in the minor-league phase of the Rule 5 draft.

Notables

•Minor-league pitcher Jason Shiell got the victory. He got the final out of the third inning by striking out Kevin Kouzmanoff after replacing De La Rosa.

•The starting lineups were delivered by two members of the Royals’ 1985 World Series champions: George Brett for the Royals and new Padres manager Buddy Black.

On deck

Joakim Soria is expected to pitch two innings today after a planned three-inning start by Brian Bannister against the A’s. Relievers Kenny Ray, Ryan Braun, Jason Standridge are also scheduled to pitch one inning.

Today's game

Royals (RHP Brian Bannister) vs. A’s (RHP Joe Blanton), at 2:05 p.m. in Phoenix.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
| Bob Dutton, bdutton@kcstar.com

noa
03-07-2007, 11:50 PM
Hahahaha. I just saw highlights of the Mets/Red Sox game. They were tied 5 to 5 in the 9th inning when none other than Ambiorix Burgos gave up a grand slam. I know its meaningless, but it made me feel good about getting rid of him.

Reaper16
03-08-2007, 12:02 AM
Hahahaha. I just saw highlights of the Mets/Red Sox game. They were tied 5 to 5 in the 9th inning when none other than Ambiorix Burgos gave up a grand slam. I know its meaningless, but it made me feel good about getting rid of him.
ROFL ROFL ROFL