PDA

View Full Version : Joe Lunardi has KU a 1 seed, K-state out, TT in

acesn8s
03-05-2007, 10:16 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/bracketology

K-State has a better conference record and overall record than Texas Tech. Why would they be overlooked?

What about Bradley?If they don't get in who will beat KU? Belmont?:p

Guru
03-05-2007, 10:19 AM
KSU has a serious shot at getting hosed this year. They deserve to go.

sedated
03-05-2007, 10:22 AM
their conference/overall record is better becuase they played in the JV north and had a horrible non-con schedule.

their RPI is lower.

and the fact that KSU lost the head to head looks even worse.

I said it before, I'll say it again: KSU will not go and doesn't deserve to go, unless they beat TTech in the Big12 tourney. even then it's iffy

Skip Towne
03-05-2007, 10:37 AM

K-State has a better conference record and overall record than Texas Tech. Why would they be overlooked?

Mizzou is Belmont's bitch. Try to keep up.

greg63
03-05-2007, 10:39 AM
I'm just wondering how long KU will last in the NCAA Tournament this year.

ChiTown
03-05-2007, 10:47 AM
I said it before, I'll say it again: KSU will not go and doesn't deserve to go, unless they beat TTech in the Big12 tourney. even then it's iffy

I agree with the first part. They need to beat Tech in the Quarters. If they win, they are in, they lose they are out. It's THAT simple.

Pitt Gorilla
03-05-2007, 10:47 AM
KU looks better than any team I've seen so far this year. They could lose a game, but they shouldn't.

Bearcat
03-05-2007, 10:59 AM

SoS and wins over the top 50.

Gee, I hope you and coupe have the opportunity to use your in-depth trend analysis at work, so you can start quarter pounders for all the red cars as they turn into the parking lot.

;)

duncan_idaho
03-05-2007, 11:05 AM
Personally, I think K-State and Texas Tech both should be in.

Tech has some impressive wins (though they've suffered several blowout losses on the road). K-State simply is a better team than SMS, which by Lunardi's estimate is the last team in.

ChiefsCountry
03-05-2007, 11:12 AM
Another dumb ass Mizzou fan.

duncan_idaho
03-05-2007, 11:16 AM
Another dumb ass Mizzou fan.

I'm a dumb ass? Because I realize your team is sorely lacking in athleticism other than Deven Mitchell? Because the Bears' D can't handle quick guards? Because 'star' Blake Ahearn disappears for long stretches at a time?

K-State would pound the crap out of SMS.

ChiefsCountry
03-05-2007, 11:19 AM
I'm a dumb ass? Because I realize your team is sorely lacking in athleticism other than Deven Mitchell? Because the Bears' D can't handle quick guards? Because 'star' Blake Ahearn disappears for long stretches at a time?

K-State would pound the crap out of SMS.

Doubt it.

ChiTown
03-05-2007, 11:25 AM
Doubt it.

From a KSU fan, I like MSU's team. I think they are plenty deserving to be in the NCAA Tourney. I'd guess they'll get a slot in the Dance, but it may depend upon how many upsets there are in the Conf Tourneys.

I think KSU's slot is much more simple. If they beat TT, they are in. They lose, they're out. I'm good with that.

duncan_idaho
03-05-2007, 11:33 AM
Doubt it.

OK... K-State puts stopper Akeem Wright on Ahearn. That's an extremely difficult matchup for the Bears.

Who from SMS is going to guard Cartier Martin? Deven Mitchell? Even so, it still favors KSU. That leaves Bilyeu or Lamberth to guard Hoskins. He's too athletic for Bilyeu and too strong for Lamberth.

And in Stewart and Harris, K-State also has two big, athletic guards who can shoot and drive. Who guards them? Perimeter defense has been a problem for SMS all season, and K-State has the weapons to exploit it.

The Wildcats aren't a great offensive team, but their athleticism and rebounding would be huge problems for the Bears.

sedated
03-05-2007, 12:14 PM
I almost think OkSt deserves to be in more than KSU.

Head-to-Head win and much, much, much better non-con schedule, and better con sched

duncan_idaho
03-05-2007, 12:16 PM

Head-to-Head win and much, much, much better non-con schedule, and better con sched

I'd agree with you if they hadn't collapsed down the stretch almost as hard as a Quin Snyder-coached squad...

:shake: :doh!:

ChiTown
03-05-2007, 12:22 PM

BS

They have not won 1 true road game this year (not including neutral courts). Away from GIA - they suck. KSU has won 6 true roadies this year. Better conf. schedule? Please.

Head to head or not, OSU doesn't "deserve" shit. IMO, OSU has to win the Conf Tourney to go. There's no other way around that at this point.

KevB
03-05-2007, 12:30 PM

Other than Senior Night vs. KSU, OK St. has folded completely down the stretch. They just lost a road game at Baylor, knowing their tourney lives depended on it. They don't belong in the tourney, period.

jAZ
03-05-2007, 12:32 PM

Lunardi is a tool.

Lzen
03-05-2007, 12:34 PM

The selection committee has said in the past that they look at how a team played down the stretch (last 10 games). They are 3-7 in their last 10 games. Add that to the fact that they can't win a road game in the Big 12 and OSU is not getting in.

Saulbadguy
The selection committee has said in the past that they look at how a team played down the stretch (last 10 games). They are 3-7 in their last 10 games. Add that to the fact that they can't win a road game in the Big 12 and OSU is not getting in.
High basketball IQ.

KevB
Lunardi has Illinois and Purdue as two of the last four teams in (and that makes 6 from the Big 10), while KSU is out. I just don't see it. I looked at both the Illinois and Purdue schedules, and neither of them have a win as impressive as at Texas. The USC win for KSU was also on the road (ok, neutral site). The only significant wins for Illinois/Purdue were home games vs. Indiana and Michigan St. One of them beat Virginia at home early in the season. I don't care what the RPI says, I just don't believe for a minute that the Big 10 is better than the Big 12. Equal maybe, but not better. I can't believe they'd put the 6th Big 10 team in over the 4th/5th Big 12 team.

KevB
03-05-2007, 12:37 PM
For reference:

----Illinois (21-10, 9-7, 38 RPI)
------------Positives: t-4th in Big Ten, 26 SoS
------------Negatives: 3-8 vs RPI Top 50, 3-5 road, lack of quality wins
------------Best wins: at Missouri, at Bradley
------------Remaining Schedule: Penn St (Big 10 Tournament)

----Purdue (20-10, 9-7, 47 RPI)
------------Positives: t-4th in Big Ten, 24 pt win vs Michigan St
------------Negatives: 2-7 road, 8-2 vs RPI 101-200
------------Best wins: Virginia
------------Remaining Schedule: Iowa (Big Ten Tournament)

KCFalcon59
03-05-2007, 12:43 PM
Finishing .500 or worse in your conference should exclude you from the tournament. I don't care if your name is Duke or GTech.

Braincase
03-05-2007, 12:44 PM
High basketball IQ.

I think sedated is just High, no basketball IQ involved (see avatar).

Reerun_KC
03-05-2007, 12:46 PM
Saul, your arrogance is showing.

Someone posted on phog.net that Saul is about as smart as a urinal cake.

ROFL

Saulbadguy
03-05-2007, 12:49 PM
Someone posted on phog.net that Saul is about as smart as a urinal cake.

ROFL
That's grand. There is so much basketball IQ over there, they are worth at least a case of urinal cakes. The minty-smelling kind.

Reerun_KC
03-05-2007, 12:52 PM
There is no reason KSU or TT should miss the Dance.

They have both played well enough to get a 10-12 seed...

Sucks that the Big XII only gets 4 and the Weak ACC gets 7+

Reerun_KC
03-05-2007, 12:53 PM
That's grand. There is so much basketball IQ over there, they are worth at least a case of urinal cakes. The minty-smelling kind.

so is "Basketball IQ" the phrase of the day?

If we are going to have a POTD, then you should sent out memo's

Saulbadguy
03-05-2007, 12:57 PM

It's a rising star.

Lzen
03-05-2007, 01:00 PM
High basketball IQ.

I can never tell if you are joking/being a smartass or you're serious.
:banghead:

Saulbadguy
03-05-2007, 01:05 PM
I can never tell if you are joking/being a smartass or you're serious.
:banghead:
I just like riling up some of the more "sensitive" posters...;)

Lzen
03-05-2007, 01:06 PM
BTW, did anybody see that if this bracket happened, KU would play either Arizona or Kentucky in the 2nd round. I know they are down, but they are traditional power houses. Would not be an easy task.

Lzen
03-05-2007, 01:07 PM
I just like riling up some of the more "sensitive" posters...;)

Well.....yeah. I knew that. ROFL

Ari Chi3fs
03-05-2007, 02:37 PM
This just in....

if KSU doesn't get into the tourney, I will laugh hysterically.

ChiTown
03-05-2007, 02:42 PM
This just in....

if KSU doesn't get into the tourney, I will laugh hysterically.

Why?

It wouldn't be a surprise to anyone, especially if they lose to Tech. They win and they're in. You Mythical Bird fans are a silly breed.

Ari Chi3fs
03-05-2007, 02:43 PM
btw, if the tourney seedings end up like this, KU's second round opponent would be either Kentucky or Arizona.

How brutal.

ArrowheadHawk
03-05-2007, 02:58 PM
btw, if the tourney seedings end up like this, KU's second round opponent would be either Kentucky or Arizona.

How brutal.
I remember once upon a time going through both arizona and duke on the way to the final four

Saulbadguy
03-05-2007, 03:16 PM
QUESTION:

How can KU be a #1 seed, while 4th place team in the Big XII be in the NIT?

Is the Big XII that weak? :(

Guru
03-05-2007, 03:44 PM
QUESTION:

It is watered down but is by no means THAT weak. There should be 5 teams in period. They are just in love with the Big 10 this year.

Teams with losing records should not be invited to the tourney. I don't care if they did win their conference championship game. It is crap that teams get in with 17 or less victories while teams with 20+ are left out.

CoMoChief
03-05-2007, 03:45 PM
I remember once upon a time going through both arizona and duke on the way to the final four

Yep 2002 I think. Redick was ice cold that game and Luke Walton played like shit.

Saulbadguy
03-05-2007, 03:46 PM
Yep, I agree. It is UNREAL that K-State and Texas Tech are on the bubble, considering that KU=1 seed, A&M = 2 seed, Texas = 3 seed.

The logic is baffling. Why are those 3 teams ranked that high when the competition is obviously weak.

The flip side of that is, why are KSU and TTU out when the competition is obviously that tough?

:shrug:

ROYC75
03-05-2007, 03:54 PM
Yep, I agree. It is UNREAL that K-State and Texas Tech are on the bubble, considering that KU=1 seed, A&M = 2 seed, Texas = 3 seed.

The logic is baffling. Why are those 3 teams ranked that high when the competition is obviously weak.

The flip side of that is, why are KSU and TTU out when the competition is obviously that tough?

:shrug:

The selection committee is ran by the bias media.......

sedated
03-05-2007, 04:16 PM
Unbalanced Scheduling

The south is so much tougher than the north it's disgusting.
Texas
A&M
Tech
OkST
Oklahoma

all had great stretches and big wins, that gives support to the South teams that are looking for bids; they all had to play eachother twice.

But the North was pathetic, so those schools had a cake-walk through their conference scheds.

Kansas handled their business in the non-con, beating Florida, Southern Cal, Boston College, then not screwing up too much during the con schedule.

Saulbadguy
03-05-2007, 04:23 PM
The south is tougher than the north.
Texas
A&M
Tech
OkST
Oklahoma

all had great stretches and big wins, that gives support to the South teams that are looking for bids; they all had to play eachother twice.

But the North was pathetic, so those schools had a cake-walk through their conference scheds.

Kansas handled their business in the non-con, beating Florida, Southern Cal, Boston College, then not screwing up too much during the con schedule.
High basketball IQ.

Is the South leaps and bounds better than the North this year? Look at the top 3 teams in each division.

KU vs A&M
K-State vs Texas
Missouri vs Tech

The only thing that really screws w/ the numbers is OSU. They had a great non-con run, and fell flat on their ass in conference play. Oklahoma sucks. Baylor sucks.

I'd say overall the South is slightly better than the North, but not by a whole lot.

WilliamTheIrish
03-05-2007, 05:06 PM

The team that just lost at Baylor? They play @ Nebraska tonight. As poor as they have been on the road, that's no gimme. OSU could finish 308 down the stretch. They aren't getting in unless they run the table in the OKC.

WilliamTheIrish
03-05-2007, 05:07 PM

C'mon, you know where Saul picked up that gem.

jAZ
03-05-2007, 06:13 PM
BTW, did anybody see that if this bracket happened, KU would play either Arizona or Kentucky in the 2nd round. I know they are down, but they are traditional power houses. Would not be an easy task.
Lunardi is a complete tard.

Arizona won't be an 8 seed. They will likely be a 6 seed... maybe a 4/5 if they win the Pac 10 Tourney (which I doubt they will).

Here's a few relevant facts I stole from GoAZCats.com
Arizona has an RPI of 13 and a SOS of 2.

We also beat Louisville this year head to head but Lundardi has them at #5 seed and us at #8 with the following profile...

Link (http://forum.goazcats.com/showpost.php?p=733217&postcount=9)

Cats resume (supposed 8 seed):
20-9 (11-7)
RPI: 13
SOS: 2
vs. RPI top 100: 14-9

Louisville resume (supposed 5 seed)
19-9 (12-4)
RPI: 41
SOS: 42
vs. RPI top 100: 6-8

He also has the following based upon RPI analysis...

Link (http://forum.goazcats.com/showpost.php?p=733096&postcount=6)

one #1 seed
two #2 seeds
one #3 seed
two #4 seeds
three #5 seeds
four #6 seeds
four #7 seeds
and all three of the other #8 seeds

... have worse RPIs than Arizona. That's right, 17 of the 28 better-seeded teams in his bracket have worse RPIs.

jAZ
03-05-2007, 06:21 PM
Do you remember a "down" Arizona going through #1 Kansas, #1 North Carolina and #1 Kentucky to win the National Championship in 1997?

Skip Towne
03-05-2007, 06:37 PM
QUESTION:

Because the selection committee has High Basketball IQ? (They know a shit team when they see one)

kstater
03-05-2007, 06:59 PM
I highly doubt that Lunardi has seen much of either TT or KSU. Can you honestly say that by watching bot TT and KSU that TT is the better team?

Disclaimer: As in previous threads, I'm just a little biased.

WilliamTheIrish
03-05-2007, 07:04 PM
TT has 3 huge wins. They have some weird losses too. Plus TT handled KSU in Manhattan.

Life of a bubble team. Win one and things look good. Win two, it's money in the bank.

Braincase
03-05-2007, 07:08 PM
I highly doubt that Lunardi has seen much of either TT or KSU. Can you honestly say that by watching bot TT and KSU that TT is the better team?

If you saw them both versus KU, the answer is obviously yes. If you saw them both against Texas, the answer is obviously no.

chiefsfan987
03-05-2007, 07:57 PM
Teams with losing records should not be invited to the tourney. I don't care if they did win their conference championship game. It is crap that teams get in with 17 or less victories while teams with 20+ are left out.

And I think its crap that 65 teams get a shot at winning the title. Why should teams like KSU get a shot at winning the championship when they didn't even win their conference? The tournament should be 8 teams or less but that wouldn't make as much money and wouldn't generate as much excitement nationally.

Don't get me wrong, the tournament is exciting the way it is. However, if you're going to complain about teams who get in just by winning your conference tournament I'll complain that a team that finishes 4th in their conference are not deserving of a shot for the national title either. Only teams who win their conference IMO should get a shot at a national championship.

WilliamTheIrish
03-05-2007, 08:11 PM
Unbalanced Scheduling

The south is so much tougher than the north it's disgusting.

Yea, Okie Sate is only down 30 points to Nebraska 56-27 with 15+ minutes to play.

The only thing disgusting here is how completely clueless you are about the conference your team plays in.

Do you know the head to head record of N vs S?

kstater
03-05-2007, 08:15 PM
Do you know the head to head record of N vs S?

you know this or are you asking?

I'd like to know.

WilliamTheIrish
03-05-2007, 08:21 PM

I'd like to know.

Yea, I know it. I'm curious if the guy who made the statement about how the "South is so much better, it's disgusting" knows.

kstater
03-05-2007, 08:27 PM
Yea, I know it. I'm curious if the guy who made the statement about how the "South is so much better, it's disgusting" knows.

That's cool. Would you PM me the number?

Reerun_KC
03-05-2007, 08:28 PM
C'mon, you know where Saul picked up that gem.

And I can say that there are many that post there that wouldnt know what a basketball even looked like if they didnt attend KU...

WilliamTheIrish
03-05-2007, 08:53 PM
Ok.State has cut the lead to 7 w/1:07 to play.

Lzen
03-05-2007, 08:56 PM
Hey William, you gonna give us the answer? I could look it up if I really wanted to. But if you already have that info, I would like to see it.

ChiTown
03-05-2007, 09:05 PM
Hey William, you gonna give us the answer? I could look it up if I really wanted to. But if you already have that info, I would like to see it.

It's like 14-22 (if NU wins), or something like that. Not good, but certainly not as lopsided as the media makes it out to be.

WilliamTheIrish
03-05-2007, 09:07 PM

I'd like to know.

South vs North: 20 wins 16 losses.

aTm -6-0
UT 4-2
TT 4-2
OU 2-4
OSU 2-4
BU 2-4

The South is a better division. But not by a great margin.

ChiTown
03-05-2007, 09:12 PM

aTm -6-0
UT 4-2
TT 4-2
OU 2-4
OSU 2-4
BU 2-4

There you have it. Thanks WTI

WilliamTheIrish
03-05-2007, 09:14 PM

Sorry to make you wait. I thought maybe sedated would check the stats.

BTW, the Ok.St. team, part of the disgustingly good South division, went down in Lincoln 85 -73.

Hard o believe they fell so far after being ranked as high as 8th in early January.

Saulbadguy
03-05-2007, 09:14 PM
If only Bill Walker hadn't gotten hurt...;)

There would be no bubble talk. gah. Even if we miss out on the tournament, this season was far from a disappointment...and just thinking about what next season brings..wow.

ChiTown
03-05-2007, 09:22 PM
If only Bill Walker hadn't gotten hurt...;)

There would be no bubble talk. gah. Even if we miss out on the tournament, this season was far from a disappointment...and just thinking about what next season brings..wow.

I'll say this much, I don't think we lose to TT at home on Big Monday.

CoMoChief
03-05-2007, 09:24 PM

aTm -6-0
UT 4-2
TT 4-2
OU 2-4
OSU 2-4
BU 2-4

The North sucks outside KU. Although KSU is getting better and should make it interesting next season.

KU will still sweep them though.

BWillie
03-05-2007, 09:24 PM

Lunardi doesn't need to watch anybody play. I don't know why people get pissed off at the guy. What he is trying to do, is mimic what the selection committee will do. That's it. It has nothing to do with what he personally thinks about a team. Not one iota.

But to answer your question. I can honestly say that Texas Tech is by far a better team. I've watched K-State about five times this year, and all times they've looked like dog shit. I mean, they are on the up and up especially next year, but nothing they have done makes me think they should be in the tournament. They beat Texas..and thats it.

Lzen
03-05-2007, 09:34 PM
Sorry to make you wait. I thought maybe sedated would check the stats.

BTW, the Ok.St. team, part of the disgustingly good South division, went down in Lincoln 85 -73.

Hard o believe they fell so far after being ranked as high as 8th in early January.

Thanks. I, too, did not believe in the supposed south complete domination. That record is actually pretty close. OSU will not make the tournament. They have fallen hard. No way a team that can't win a conference road game deserves to make it.

BWillie
03-05-2007, 09:39 PM
Thanks. I, too, did not believe in the supposed south complete domination. That record is actually pretty close. OSU will not make the tournament. They have fallen hard. No way a team that can't win a conference road game deserves to make it.

I think it'd be funny if OSU pulled of the 3OT victory in the championship game. Game would get over at like 5:05 PM. What would the selection committee do? Post pone the show? They have repeatedly said it doesn't count...would they just not put an automatic bid in? The selection show starts right at 5 and goes quick...they get everything in about 430 I would guess.