PDA

View Full Version : Congratulations Randy Couture on 3rd heavyweight championship

BIG_DADDY
03-05-2007, 11:17 AM
Over 6'8" 263 pound Tim Sylvia at 43 years of age. Randy has the heart of a lion. What a warrior.

jlscorpio
03-05-2007, 11:19 AM
Damnit I missed that. I watched Rich Franklin OWN, though. Can't wait to see Franklin-Silva again

CoMoChief
03-05-2007, 11:21 AM
Wow, I wasn't expecting that at all.

I've always like Randy. Congrats to him.

Sully
03-05-2007, 11:23 AM
Started out great when he rocked Sylvia in the 1st. Looked like he could end it pretty quickly. The fight settled down after that, but it was clear that Couture was better.

Delano
03-05-2007, 11:25 AM
In the first round I looked at Couture and Sylvia on the ground and though that Tim looked like a Goliath and Randy like David. However, when the camera view from above was shown in the later rounds and Randy had dominated the entire match, Sylvia looked so small and Couture looked like a giant. Amazing to see!

Anyone have any idea what the next heavyweight title match will be?

chop
03-05-2007, 11:28 AM
I can see them giving Cro Cop a shot.

BIG_DADDY
03-05-2007, 11:29 AM
In the first round I looked at Couture and Sylvia on the ground and though that Tim looked like a Goliath and Randy like David. However, when the camera view from above was shown in the later rounds and Randy had dominated the entire match, Sylvia looked so small and Couture looked like a giant. Amazing to see!

Anyone have any idea what the next heavyweight title match will be?

They will probably match Randy against one other competitor before making him fight Mirko Cro Cop. I fear for Randy in that one, he has to take Mirko to the ground IMO to have a chance.

chop
03-05-2007, 11:31 AM
I really want to see Cro Cop fight Sylvia. I like watching two standup fighters slugging it out.

BIG_DADDY
03-05-2007, 11:34 AM
I really want to see Cro Cop fight Sylvia. I like watching two standup fighters slugging it out.

Cro Cop would kill Sylvia. Chop him down like a big ol tree.

chop
03-05-2007, 11:35 AM
They will probably match Randy against one other competitor before making him fight Mirko Cro Cop. I fear for Randy in that one, he has to take Mirko to the ground IMO to have a chance.

I fear for Randy too if he has to face Cro Cop. Cro Cop won't hesitate to fire off those big kicks he has.

BIG_DADDY
03-05-2007, 11:37 AM
I fear for Randy too if he has to face Cro Cop. Cro Cop won't hesitate to fire off those big kicks he has.

If Randy can get him on the ground he has a decent chance.

chop
03-05-2007, 11:38 AM
Cro Cop would kill Sylvia. Chop him down like a big ol tree.

You're probably right but I think Sylvia is a different fighter when he's not worried about being taken down. I don't know if Sylvia has the chin to fight with Cro Cop though.

Chief Henry
03-05-2007, 11:40 AM
Over 6'8" 263 pound Tim Sylvia at 43 years of age. Randy has the heart of a lion. What a warrior.

I watched this at our neighbors house. Saturday nights action was
basically the first of these kind of fights I've watched. These dudes are bad asses. 6-8 Tim Sylvia looked soooooo sloooooowwwww.

This Randy Couture is lightening quick for 43 years old. His wife is not bad looking either.

Iowanian
03-05-2007, 11:45 AM
If he were still here, I'm pretty sure this is where Clint in Wichita would post that Wrestlers are vaginers who just like to wear tights and lay on sweaty men.

I like Couture and hope he doesn't hang around too long like Salamander holyfield.

Soupnazi
03-05-2007, 11:46 AM
What happened with the Hughes fight?

chop
03-05-2007, 12:03 PM
What happened with the Hughes fight?

Hughes won the decision. Hughes went back to his bread and butter and kept the fight on the ground. He couldn't put Lytle away but he looked decent.

Demonpenz
03-05-2007, 12:16 PM
I wish they would bring all the different fights to ufc. ISn't there like 10 leagues right now?

BIG_DADDY
03-05-2007, 12:45 PM
I wish they would bring all the different fights to ufc. ISn't there like 10 leagues right now?

Too many different levels of talent now. MMA is going BIG TIME. I think it is already bigger than boxing.

TrickyNicky
03-05-2007, 12:48 PM
Only a few big leagues, pay-scale and TV exposure, which includes UFC, Pride, and K-1.

Others that are notable in the US:

King of the Cage
WFA (bought by UFC, contracts absorbed and disbanded)
WEC (bought by UFC, Kept on as a feeder org.)
EliteXC (Showtime's MMA partner)
International Fight League (Currently shown throughtout the week on FSN)
ICON
Rumble on the Rock (BJ Penn's UFC feeder org, Hawaii based)
Strikeforce

Notables in other parts of the world:

BodogFIGHT (First show is in Russia)
DEEP (Japanese Feeder Org.)
Pancrase (Formerly hybrid fighting only, now full MMA)
Shooto (One of the top Japanese organizations but it doesn't focus on the heavier weight classes)
Cage Rage Championships (UK's premiere MMA Org.)

BIG_DADDY
03-05-2007, 01:45 PM
Only a few big leagues, pay-scale and TV exposure, which includes UFC, Pride, and K-1.

King of the Cage
ICON
Strikeforce

Shooto (One of the top Japanese organizations but it doesn't focus on the heavier weight classes)

Any of the Japanese stuff televised?

chop
03-05-2007, 01:52 PM
I caught a BodogFight telecast a week or so ago.

It was interesting. I don't think the talent level was as good as Pride or UFC. During one of the breaks they had a Rock group perform. I would rather view the fights and could careless about the band (although the band did have an interesting sound to them).

BIG_DADDY
03-05-2007, 01:55 PM
I caught a BodogFight telecast a week or so ago.

It was interesting. I don't think the talent level was as good as Pride or UFC. During one of the breaks they had a Rock group perform. I would rather view the fights and could careless about the band (although the band did have an interesting sound to them).

Thery're just creating a league. With the Emelienko's going over there it's all the validation it needs.

TrickyNicky
03-05-2007, 02:05 PM
Any of the Japanese stuff televised?
Not in the US. :(

A lot of it is available on the net through nefarious means (Trackers) and there are Best Of DVD sets for Shooto sorted by year. If you want to see early Pancrase, look into buying Bas Ruttens MMA Career DVD set. Not only does it show you what hybrid fighting was like, but it is also hilarious and entertaining because Bas commentates on all of his fights, even though the UFC ones are shortened.

TrickyNicky
03-05-2007, 02:05 PM
http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q83/Mattiasblogger/UFC68/sylviacouture1.gif

Bam!

El Jefe
03-05-2007, 02:13 PM
Sweet fight, just a demoralizing loss for Big Timmy. Good win for my man Matt Hughes too, he is back on the path to the Title.

BIG_DADDY
03-05-2007, 02:22 PM
Not in the US. :(

A lot of it is available on the net through nefarious means (Trackers) and there are Best Of DVD sets for Shooto sorted by year. If you want to see early Pancrase, look into buying Bas Ruttens MMA Career DVD set. Not only does it show you what hybrid fighting was like, but it is also hilarious and entertaining because Bas commentates on all of his fights, even though the UFC ones are shortened.

I've seen pancrase before it went MMA. There is so much stuff now and it is expanding so quick I really look forward to the future. I'll tell you what I didn't like though, Pride changing their rules when they came to Vegas.

TrickyNicky
03-05-2007, 02:46 PM
They had to, and its understandable. They wouldn't have been able to have a show in Vegas without accepting the rule changes. I would much rather have knees allowed than elbow strikes, IMO. Elbows are way nastier because they open cuts easier. Knees have more concussive and therefore destructive force, sure, but I would rather see someone score a homerun Knee KO than an inside elbow that a fighter throws desperately after being dominated and stops the fight because of a cut a la KenFlo vs Leben in the TUF semis. /rant

Fishpicker
03-05-2007, 02:52 PM

actually he's a bit more conservative with the high kick when facing wrestler's. he schooled mark coleman and didnt throw a kick the whole time

BIG_DADDY
03-05-2007, 04:25 PM
Apparently Dana White told Sherdog that Randys next fight will be Cro Cop this summer.

Valiant
03-05-2007, 06:24 PM

King of the Cage
ICON
Strikeforce

There is one show on VS. channel that pits state teams vs. each other... different weight classes and a womens division with team scoring...

NaptownChief
03-05-2007, 07:20 PM
I'm amazed that Sylvia turned out to be a good fighter...I saw his very first UFC fight and thought they had unearthed Gheorghe Muresan with rickets.

mdstu
03-05-2007, 08:56 PM
In case you missed it.

http://www.broadcaster.com/video/player.php?clip=11837
http://www.broadcaster.com/video/player.php?clip=11838

TrickyNicky
03-05-2007, 09:31 PM
I'm amazed that Sylvia turned out to be a good fighter...I saw his very first UFC fight and thought they had unearthed Gheorghe Muresan with rickets.

didn't Muresan have rickets or something? He moved slower when he tried to run.