PDA

View Full Version : Whats there to do in New Orleans?

ChiefsCountry
03-07-2007, 12:20 AM
I think I am heading down there for Spring Break for a couple days before we head over to Florida. What's there to do in the Big Easy?

SPchief
03-07-2007, 12:23 AM
Drink? :shrug:

Avoid the beer looter.

cdcox
03-07-2007, 12:25 AM
Who are you going with?

Do you like spicey food?

What do you consider a fair price for a great meal?

Art? Zoos? Booze? Jazz? Other music?

ChiefsCountry
03-07-2007, 12:34 AM
Buddy of mine has family there, so its a swing through before hitting Florida.

I am game for about anything, so just start naming what to do.

Miles
03-07-2007, 12:43 AM
There is some great food there depending on what you think is reasonable to spend. Commanders, Emril's, K-Paul's are a few of the famous ones.

For bars, if you have never been to NOLA before you might as well check out Bourbon Street. Patty O'Briens's is a decent place to start.

If you are into coffee definitely check out Rue de la Course. They roast locally and have the best dark roast I have tried. There was one near Poydras and St Charles but Im not certain its still there anymore after the storm. The more popular one but less convenient to downtown is on Magazine.

KcMizzou
03-07-2007, 12:46 AM
This might be the dumbest question I've ever heard. Do you own a television?

:D

ChiefaRoo
03-07-2007, 12:52 AM
Great food, insane partying until dawn. Girls showing their boobies. Big crowds.

Go for it. Spend some extra money eating at a good restaurant on Bourbon Street. It's worth it.

Silock
03-07-2007, 12:53 AM
I hear there's lots of swimming.

/goes to Hell

SPchief
03-07-2007, 12:58 AM
I hear there's lots of swimming.

/goes to Hell

I laughed.

Papi
03-07-2007, 12:59 AM
this is easy for the night time: Bourbon Street. If you're young and hip go to Utopia, lots of fine young ladies dance there every night. Go to Pat O'Briens and get a famous Hurricane. If you're in to jazz go to The Maison Bourbon Jazz Club. I always enjoy eating at The ACME Oyster House (look it up for directions, its a little off Bourbon Street). If you're there during the day there's a very interesting WWII museum I'd recommend, The National World War II Museum. Enjoy, the French Quarter is a blast

cdcox
03-07-2007, 01:02 AM
Buddy of mine has family there, so its a swing through before hitting Florida.

I am game for about anything, so just start naming what to do.

I've been to NO twice, both times with my wife, but the locals will have far more knowledge.

New Orleans is a city that you can easily enjoy without having a detailed plan. It so much different from any other US city that just being there and trying different foods and doing what looks interesting is going to make it a memorable visit.

I'm a food and wine nut, so that is probably my #1 attraction. About the only thing I do plan carefully is where we are going to eat. But that is because I enjoy eating out at really good restaurants and NO is one of the top 5 food cities in the US. We had a great meal at Bayona last time I was there, but you can eat really good in many places for far less.

Try gumbo, jambalaya, red beans and rice, po boy sandwich etc. All can be had for under $10. Definitely do beignets at Cafe Du Monde.

It's a hot place for live music of all kinds. Jazz is traditional, but it is being displaced by other forms to please a younger crowd. You'll have to check what is going on once you get down there, or just walk around the French Quarter and go inside when you hear something interesting.

It is a great place to walk around and stare. Do a stroll through the French Quarter during the day and again at night. Two different experiences. It will take much longer at night due to numerous stops at interesting places to drink.

Plenty of skin places on Bourbon Street. Not my thing, but to each his own. Stay away from con artists. They are every where.

If you like history, there are some several plantation houses within a 30 to 90 min drive from downtown. Worth doing one, but probably not more than one.

Silock
03-07-2007, 01:17 AM
BTW, +1 vote for Cafe du Monde. That place is awesome.

Miles
03-07-2007, 01:21 AM
BTW, +1 vote for Cafe du Monde. That place is awesome.

Cafe du Monde has always annoyed me whenever I have been. The beignets are solid and a good novelty but nothing outstanding. The downside is their coffee is mediocre at best and its always crowded as hell.

chagrin
03-07-2007, 05:36 AM

I agree

Dude, I am from Louisiana and have plenty of family and friends in New Orleans and surrounding area.

Forget everything you've read on this thread. there's no "specific place" to go to party at, every little tiny bar you find is a good place to go, well except for the Jazz Preservation Hall (I totally recommend this place, see if Jamil Sahrif is still the featured act - it's old style New Orleans Jazz dude) and any place to eat, no matter how nice looking or run down, has some good damn food! Just enjoy yourself and stay away from Frenchman Street; that's where the locals go and it can be dangerous for tourists, however if you are street savvy, you might do alright.

Oh yeah, and Rampart street is the hood so take care in that area.

Bottom line on Partying in NOLA is this:

If you are walking down a street and all of the sudden you look around and nobody else in on the street except yourself, turn around!

Don't be a stupid frat boy, not that you are. Simply getting drunk in NOLS is easy to do, but keep your senses and you should be fine. Oh and if you carry a wallet, wear it in the front pocket.

Eat whenever you can, you won't find this food anywhere else, unless you're visiting Orlando of coures and I can hook you up, heh.

Enjoy yourself dude, it's a unique experience.

Douche Baggins
03-07-2007, 05:37 AM
You can bang Willie Roaf's wife.

stumppy
03-07-2007, 05:44 AM

ROFL

Thats what I was thinking.

If you have to ask you probably shouldn't be going.

vailpass
03-07-2007, 07:38 AM
Avoid the ******s and get the hell out as soon as you can.

DMAC
03-07-2007, 08:09 AM
You could help clean. :shrug:

Idahojim
03-07-2007, 08:20 AM
I'm down there a couple of times a year - headed there next week as a matter of fact. Lot's to do. Best restaurant I've been to there is Irene's in the French Quarter. Was recommended by some locals, and it will not disappoint. The local beer, Abita, is pretty good. Hit some of the music clubs early evening on Bourbon Street if you are looking for Zydeco. ACME Oyster bar is terrific for oysters and gumbo. Another good spot for that is the restaurant at the Royal Sonesta on Bourbon St. Favorite hotel is the W in the French Quarter on Chartres St.

You can't help but have fun. Hope this helps.

Dr. Van Halen
03-07-2007, 08:33 AM
I used to live there.

One of my favorite things to eat was the banana cream pie at Emiril's. Or Banana's Foster at Brennan's or The Court of the Three Sisters. Hmm, I guess I really used to like bananas.

There used to be this amazing all-you-can-eat red beans and rice/fried chicken/sausage/cornbread place on Feret St. called Dunbar's. I haven't heard if it survived...

Get a Muffaletta in the French Quarter. Bread pudding anywhere.

Eat cheap and save up for one really huge expensive meal at Commander's Palace (a souffle should be involved) or one of the others.

Go see Marie Laveau's tomb, voodoo, etc. I think I heard it survived.

AZORChiefFan
03-07-2007, 08:37 AM
Fish?

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b310/usagiaz/bush_vacation_fishing.jpg

Duck Dog
03-07-2007, 08:40 AM
I hear NO is better than ever now that most of it's people live in Houston.

Skip Towne
03-07-2007, 08:44 AM
I used to live there.

One of my favorite things to eat was the banana cream pie at Emiril's. Or Banana's Foster at Brennan's or The Court of the Three Sisters. Hmm, I guess I really used to like bananas.

There used to be this amazing all-you-can-eat red beans and rice/fried chicken/sausage/cornbread place on Feret St. called Dunbar's. I haven't heard if it survived...

Get a Muffaletta in the French Quarter. Bread pudding anywhere.

Eat cheap and save up for one really huge expensive meal at Commander's Palace (a souffle should be involved) or one of the others.

Go see Marie Laveau's tomb, voodoo, etc. I think I heard it survived.There were only two sisters when I was there.

bringbackmarty
03-07-2007, 08:49 AM
Okay a big **** you to most of the people who posted on this thread with the hurricane jokes.

If you have never been:

Cafe Du Monde

Take a ride on the St Charles streetcar line if it's up and running yet, (wasn't in OCT)

Go to JeanLAfitte park and take a WALK through the swamp to look at some gators.

Walk down Bourbon street,
Walk down Frenchman street.

Best Jazz is @ Snug Harbor, on frenchman.

Drive through the lower nine.

Dunbars is good and cheap, but has gone downhill the last five, go to JAcque-Imo's, or crabby JAcks.

el borracho
03-07-2007, 08:55 AM
1. Drink
2. Look at boobs
3. Get your pocket picked
4. Ruin your shoes
5. Have a powdered sugar fight at the beignet place
6. Eat seafood
7. Check out street performers
8. Photograph things you never thought you would see
9. Make fun of the Jesus freaks
10. Stand on top of a cop car, naked and masturbating with your hair on fire (don't worry... it's a small fine and you're out and drinking again in a few hours)

kc rush
03-07-2007, 09:26 AM
The Jazz Preservation Hall is cool, but expensive. When I went there (years ago) they had a 2 drink minimum per set and the beers were expensive and small.

The cool thing is that there are drink vendors right there on the street and lots of good people watching.

We ended up just walking up and down the street and jumping into any bar that was playing good music at the time.

vailpass
03-07-2007, 09:27 AM
NOLA was a shithole whose time had passed by BEFORE Katrina.
It's the same shithole now only some of the puke got hurricane scrubbed off the street and a lot of the hoods and thugs and panhandlers are "working" in some other city.
Be sure and say hi to beer looter guy when you go.

Dr. Van Halen
03-07-2007, 09:28 AM
There were only two sisters when I was there.

Ha! That's right. The other "sister" is more of just a live-in friend. She's a lagniappe.

chagrin
03-07-2007, 09:42 AM
NOLA was a shithole whose time had passed by BEFORE Katrina.
It's the same shithole now only some of the puke got hurricane scrubbed off the street and a lot of the hoods and thugs and panhandlers are "working" in some other city.
Be sure and say hi to beer looter guy when you go.

So many people, including myself are mostly referring the dude to the French Quarter an it's immediate surrounding area. There are nice parts of NOLA but I don't think he's going there to spend a bunch of money on plantation tours and the like.

And the French Quarter isn't just a dump, maybe you havent' been there in a while or have no appreciation for it's history - however, you are certainly entitled to your opinion.

chagrin
03-07-2007, 09:44 AM
Ha! That's right. The other "sister" is more of just a live-in friend. She's a lagniappe.

it is two sister, heh.

Their brunch kicks solid ass - of course it costs something like 80 dollars. Arnaud's is 5 star as well, and well worth the price. If he's just going to party though, I highly doubt he's going to drop in on any of these places, considering how much they cost.

noa
03-07-2007, 09:46 AM
Somebody already mentioned it, but I highly recommend Acme Oyster Bar. Also, if you can afford it, Jacques-Imo's Cafe is amazing.

vailpass
03-07-2007, 09:49 AM
So many people, including myself are mostly referring the dude to the French Quarter an it's immediate surrounding area. There are nice parts of NOLA but I don't think he's going there to spend a bunch of money on plantation tours and the like.

And the French Quarter isn't just a dump, maybe you havent' been there in a while or have no appreciation for it's history - however, you are certainly entitled to your opinion.

Sorry Chagrin, no offense to your homeland. Certainly there are some beautiful parts of town, those uphill where whitey lived backed in the day. To me most of the history of NOLA reeks of slavery and poverty with some good music in the background.

It's scary to walk the streets, especially at night. Everything seems so run down and tired, IMO. Everyone should see NOLA once. It's the third world right here in the USA.

kc rush
03-07-2007, 10:37 AM
I did eat at a place called Olivier's. It is a Creole place across from the House of Blues. It was excellent.

There was also some place across from the convention center (can't remember the name) that basically brought out your weight in fried foods. That was an experience. I did enjoy the alligator nuggets though.

chagrin
03-07-2007, 11:59 AM
Sorry Chagrin, no offense to your homeland. Certainly there are some beautiful parts of town, those uphill where whitey lived backed in the day. To me most of the history of NOLA reeks of slavery and poverty with some good music in the background.

It's scary to walk the streets, especially at night. Everything seems so run down and tired, IMO. Everyone should see NOLA once. It's the third world right here in the USA.

No, it's okay - plenty of people don't like it and I understand that. Whitey still lives in some nice areas, here's my take on the slavery thing though - without opening up the whole book on it of course. Even though it was wa widely practiced part of daily life around the world for most of the early ages up through the 20th century (not to mention how it's still practiced today in places), though it's ugly it's still History, I didn't mean to infer that things like slavery are to be appreciated by being favored, liked, whatever. I should have clarified that part, sorry about that.

There's alot there, and it's not all slavery. Just like people who defend marrying and banging 12 years old girls as a legit and recognized practice in other lands, slavery was exactly the same.

All I know is that in Louisiana practically defined the term corrupt politicians, and at one point our 2 choices for Governor were David Friggin duke and "Fast Eddie" Edwin Edwards, who once told a pretty young Miss Louisiana contestant at a fund raising dinner, "David Duke and I share something in common, we're both wizards under the sheets."

God knows how many other cities in America share slavery as a large part of it's History, all I ask is that you notice that. Yeah, parts of NOLA are ugly, dirty and shitholes but when you walk through the city, it's not just crime and feces you smell, there's a rich tradition of good people, music and food as well. I suppose I can't change your mind, and I can understand that - but there it is, I tried.

NewChief
03-07-2007, 12:10 PM
Music and food should be at the center of any NOLA experience. That being said, the fishing is good as well. Lots of good charters for reds and specks if you want to get off the beaten path a little bit.

vailpass
03-07-2007, 12:10 PM
No, it's okay - plenty of people don't like it and I understand that. Whitey still lives in some nice areas, here's my take on the slavery thing though - without opening up the whole book on it of course. Even though it was wa widely practiced part of daily life around the world for most of the early ages up through the 20th century (not to mention how it's still practiced today in places), though it's ugly it's still History, I didn't mean to infer that things like slavery are to be appreciated by being favored, liked, whatever. I should have clarified that part, sorry about that.

There's alot there, and it's not all slavery. Just like people who defend marrying and banging 12 years old girls as a legit and recognized practice in other lands, slavery was exactly the same.

All I know is that in Louisiana practically defined the term corrupt politicians, and at one point our 2 choices for Governor were David Friggin duke and "Fast Eddie" Edwin Edwards, who once told a pretty young Miss Louisiana contestant at a fund raising dinner, "David Duke and I share something in common, we're both wizards under the sheets."

God knows how many other cities in America share slavery as a large part of it's History, all I ask is that you notice that. Yeah, parts of NOLA are ugly, dirty and shitholes but when you walk through the city, it's not just crime and feces you smell, there's a rich tradition of good people, music and food as well. I suppose I can't change your mind, and I can understand that - but there it is, I tried.

I'll bet I'd have a more complete and favorable impression if someone such as yourself would have been in our group; someone to show us the city as whole. I think I've told you before that LA politics are an interest of mine, especially the Huey Long era.

chagrin
03-07-2007, 12:16 PM
I'll bet I'd have a more complete and favorable impression if someone such as yourself would have been in our group; someone to show us the city as whole. I think I've told you before that LA politics are an interest of mine, especially the Huey Long era.

Eh, that's okay, you might still hate it, lol!

Valiant
03-07-2007, 12:17 PM
The same as any other spring break destination..

booze, titties, booze, sex, naked ladies, booze and some myspace..

I swear you younger generation kids do not know how to do anything..

ChiefaRoo
03-07-2007, 12:22 PM
There were only two sisters when I was there.

Skip! sit down and be quiet.

ChiefaRoo
03-07-2007, 12:27 PM

Like oh, my god you are so right. Like there's not a mall anywhere and I like just couldn't keep my Prada shoes cleaned. You're right VP. He should go to Aspen and drink some Chiraz with you and the Donk fans. Who wants organic sushi and wine spritzers?!! VP does!!! yea!

vailpass
03-07-2007, 12:28 PM
Like oh, my god you are so right. Like there's not a mall anywhere and I like just couldn't keep my Prada shoes cleaned. You're right VP. He should go to Aspen and drink some Chiraz with you and the Donk fans. Who wants organic sushi and wine spritzers?!! VP does!!! yea!

LMAO

Silock
03-07-2007, 02:58 PM
Cafe du Monde has always annoyed me whenever I have been. The beignets are solid and a good novelty but nothing outstanding. The downside is their coffee is mediocre at best and its always crowded as hell.

Yeah, it's always crowded, but I really enjoyed the food and drink while I was there. The wife and I ate at a sidewalk cafe that's across the street from it (the name escapes me at the moment) and I had the best gumbo of my life there. Eating in downtown NO is more about the ambiance than anything else, really.

kstater
03-07-2007, 07:36 PM
I hear NOLA has some sort of festival every year. Haven't heard much about it, but someone told me that a few people get together the first part of March to celebrate something.