PDA

View Full Version : Ravens release their starting left guard

dirk digler
03-07-2007, 05:04 PM
Any thoughts?

The Ravens released longtime left guard Edwin Mulitalo in a cap-cutting move, the team announced today.

Mulitalo, 32, started eight years for the Ravens beside perennial Pro Bowl tackle Jonathan Ogden. There had been speculation since the season ended that Mulitalo would be cut because the Ravens were impressed with his replacement (Jason Brown) and also needed the salary cap room.

"When you release a player like Edwin, it gives you pause," Ravens coach Brian Billick said in a release. "This is the cold side of the business. All he did was everything we asked him to do and more. He gave us stability at left guard. He was always an example to his teammates as to how a professional should conduct himself."

In releasing Mulitalo, the Ravens could use a new part of the collective bargaining agreement that allows teams to release players before June 1 but still declare them a June 1 cut for salary cap purposes.

Under that scenario, the Ravens would spread Mulitalo's cap hit over two seasons, meaning they will save $2 million this season but Mulitalo will still count $1.7 million (the remainder of his pro-rated bonus) against the 2008 cap.

Cutting Mulitalo means Brown will enter this season as the Ravens' starter at left guard. A fourth-round pick in 2005, Brown started the last 12 games of the regular season after Mulitalo tore the triceps muscle in his right arm against the San Diego Chargers on Oct. 1.

Fairplay
03-07-2007, 05:17 PM
Hes 32, we kinda of need some youth.

Iowanian
03-07-2007, 05:25 PM
He's 32 and in Brian Water's position.

My thoughts? I'm sure there is a team out there that will retain his services, not named the KC Chiefs.

dirk digler
03-07-2007, 05:26 PM
Hes 32, we kinda of need some youth.

I know but if Shields retires as we assume he could come in and start right now

Fairplay
03-07-2007, 05:28 PM

I agree. He would be a short term (2 years?) answer.

CoMoChief

Welbourn will play guard and Terry will play RT.

LT Macintosh
LG Waters
C Weigman
RG Welbourn
RT Terry

Wow this line is gonna look different.

StcChief
deperate for 1 year deal....what about Rudy and the other youth we drafted in last 2 years.

Why draft at all if you aren't gonna bite the bullet and let them play. I'm sure Herm isn't that interested.

Mecca
03-07-2007, 05:36 PM
Relying on Welbourne......a guy who's been suspended 2 years in a row and 1 more is his 3rd strike....

I'm personally against signing Guards because you should be able to draft a productive starting guard in rounds 3-5.

dirk digler
03-07-2007, 05:44 PM
I think Carl\Herm should come out and let the fans know what their intentions are this season. Are they rebuilding or are they plugging holes and trying to get to the SB this year.

If they are the latter I think this guy could help if they are rebuilding then they need to stay away from him

Mecca
03-07-2007, 05:45 PM
I think it's a combo of trying to get some FA's who fit what Herm wants to do and going young.......you can't get 22 young guys at once. So getting some guys who fit the system in FA is going to be done also.