PDA

View Full Version : Adam Schefter says we're the favorite for Donnie Edwards

Zouk
03-07-2007, 05:23 PM
On NFL Total Access tonight.

Says it's likely to be a 2 year deal, and that the Packers are our biggest competition for him.

eazyb81
03-07-2007, 05:24 PM
DJ, Edwards, and Harris - I like the sound of that.

ChiefsfaninPA
03-07-2007, 05:25 PM
Nice. As long as the price is right.

JBucc
03-07-2007, 05:26 PM
I don't really want Donnie, but I wouldn't be upset if we signed him to a two year deal. Let him finish his career here and give some tutelage to DJ, Nap, and Fox.

JBucc
03-07-2007, 05:27 PM
Oh and we can tell Bell to GTFO.

Extra Point
03-07-2007, 05:29 PM
Peterson will make every effort to blame Edwards' agent, so Poz can write about it in "The Amicable Horror 2."

DeezNutz
03-07-2007, 05:30 PM
Who moves outside, Harris or Edwards? No way Hermie switches to a
3-4, right? Has he ever run this type of defensive system?

keg in kc
03-07-2007, 05:30 PM
Blech.

CoMoChief
03-07-2007, 05:33 PM

Donnie Edwards played outside when he was previously with us right?

If he didnt he was an OLB in a 3-4 at SD IIRC.

eazyb81
03-07-2007, 05:34 PM

definitely Donnie moves outside.

Iowanian
03-07-2007, 05:35 PM
I still don't think I want Edwards....especially if Harris is in the middle.

I guess he'd be an improvement in coverage, but I hate seeing him being drug down field by running backs.

Mecca
Edwards is an OLB in a 4-3 system.....he only played inside in SD because of the 3-4 system that requires the big pass rushers outside.

Buck
Adam Schefter said the Chargers would fire AJ Smith after the NFL Draft and sign Pete Carroll.

the Talking Can
03-07-2007, 05:36 PM
so we let him go in his prime, then sign him when he's old and we're trying to get younger....

****ING BRILLIANT

Mecca
03-07-2007, 05:37 PM
so we let him go in his prime, then sign him when he's old and we're trying to get younger....

****ING BRILLIANT

Blame DV and Greg Robinson for that brilliant move......they're the ones who told Carl he sucked and couldn't play in the defense.

Fairplay
03-07-2007, 05:38 PM
If Edwards came here and finished out his pro years.

Then made it to the Hall of Fame, i wonder if he would he go in as a Chief?

Mecca
03-07-2007, 05:39 PM

You don't go into the NFL HOF with a team you just go in.......if you go look at all the players in they're listed with all the teams they played for. Like Montana is listed with both the Chiefs and 49ers for example.

Fairplay
03-07-2007, 05:40 PM
You don't go into the NFL HOF with a team you just go in.......if you go look at all the players in they're listed with all the teams they played for. Like Montana is listed with both the Chiefs and 49ers for example.

Oh, okay, thanks for the info.

Buck

Yes he would. Hes not a hall of famer though.

crazycoffey
Nice. As long as the price is right.

bingo

definitely Donnie moves outside.

bingo again.

Fairplay
Yes he would. Hes not a hall of famer though.

Im confused, heh.

the Talking Can
03-07-2007, 05:41 PM
Blame DV and Greg Robinson for that brilliant move......they're the ones who told Carl he sucked and couldn't play in the defense.

uh, yeah, I'm aware of that...everyone is...

....the point is that re-signing him would about the stupidest ****ing thing in the world....unless of course we're not really trying to get younger, and we're not really trying to rebuild...in whic case its just Carl spinning our wheels for the 16 year in a row

I hope we give him a 10 year contract....YOUTH MOVEMENT FULL STEAM AHEAD LIKE A STEAMER OUT OF CARL'S ASS

DeezNutz
03-07-2007, 05:41 PM

First, thanks for the answers guys.

I'm sure you're going to get a lot of this, Mecca, but CP has to show a spine. Tell those idiots to shove it, and keep the talent. Cliche as it may be, let individuals (i.e. talent evaluators) do their jobs. Oh, but I also blame DV and GRob, too. :)

Mecca
03-07-2007, 05:43 PM
As long as it's a reasonable contract it won't totally bug me........you can't go young at 22 positions all at once. Especially in this market where a 3-13 results in the entire community not supporting the team.....

Edwards is still productive and can fill a spot for a period while youth is put in other positions.

Buck
03-07-2007, 05:44 PM
Edwards is going to the Saints though.

Mecca
03-07-2007, 05:44 PM
First, thanks for the answers guys.

I'm sure you're going to get a lot of this, Mecca, but CP has to show a spine. Tell those idiots to shove it, and keep the talent. Cliche as it may be, let individuals (i.e. talent evaluators) do their jobs. Oh, but I also blame DV and GRob, too. :)

Carl say no?!?! Carl lets his coaches have to much say that much is obvious hell the 1 time he made the pick DV bitched and moaned about it forever.

I guess it comes down to do you want to give your coach a player he doesn't want.......remember when he did that it took a bunch if injuries before LJ ever saw the field.

Zouk
03-07-2007, 05:45 PM
I just think the defense needs leadership. That's what Donnie Edwards' real value would be for the next 2 years.

Fairplay
03-07-2007, 05:45 PM
I would think that playing at that position with that many tackles would seem to wear and tear and the body bigtime.

But the guys a stud, maybe he can go a few more and still be productive.

Steve Sewell
03-07-2007, 05:48 PM

Donnie Edwards a HOF LB? I've heard it all...

Buck
03-07-2007, 05:50 PM
Why is this thread still going? Donnie Edwards will not be a Chief next year. He will be a Saint, or maybe a Patriot.

Mecca
03-07-2007, 05:50 PM
Why is this thread still going? Donnie Edwards will not be a Chief next year. He will be a Saint, or maybe a Patriot.

Says who.........the Saints and Pats have both already signed a LB.

Buck
03-07-2007, 05:51 PM
Says who.........the Saints and Pats have both already signed a LB.

The Chiefs have already signed a LB

Me 1
You 1?

Deberg_1990
03-07-2007, 05:52 PM

It was either Edwards or Warfield at the time......still pisses me off and im not even a huge Edwards fan.

I think he can still play and be productive though....it would be a decent move to have him back here a couple of season.

Mecca
03-07-2007, 05:54 PM
The Chiefs have already signed a LB

Me 1
You 1?

NE has no spot for him.....where would he play? In a 3-4 he has to be a MLB and he has to be the smaller one and Bruschi is already in that spot.

The Saints are well generally cheap.....the odds they sign him are slim to me.

HemiEd
03-07-2007, 05:54 PM
I still don't think I want Edwards....especially if Harris is in the middle.

I guess he'd be an improvement in coverage, but I hate seeing him being drug down field by running backs.

Those memories are still pretty fresh for me too. Did he improve any?

Buck
03-07-2007, 05:55 PM
NE has no spot for him.....where would he play? In a 3-4 he has to be a MLB and he has to be the smaller one and Bruschi is already in that spot.

The Saints are well generally cheap.....the odds they sign him are slim to me.

Thats funny because the Saints were the only team who offered us anything for him before the season.

Oh yeah its also funny cause they gave their QB $9 Mil a year with a questionable arm, and gave Reggie Bush more money than the #1 overall pick.

the Talking Can
03-07-2007, 05:59 PM
every penny spent on players over 28 is wasted....we aren't a player away from anything but another mediocre midround draft pick

play Croyle, or Huard, and lose and get a top pick and then get better and then maybe we could sign some crusty trash from a team smart enough to let that crusty trash walk....

OR...sign Edwards and finish 8-8 just because that's the way Carl likes it, good and ****ing mediocre forever...look at what we gained from Bell/Surtain/Law/Knight...that's right - ZIP ****ING NADDA NOTHING ****ING NEIN

i hate this ****ing team more than I hate redrum's mom begging for another facial....

Deberg_1990
03-07-2007, 06:01 PM
OR...sign Edwards and finish 8-8 just because that's the way Carl likes it, good and ****ing mediocre forever...look at we gained from Bell/Surtain/Law/Knight...that's right - ZIP ****ING NADDA NOTHING ****ING NEIN

King Carl's biggest flaw.....he always makes the mistake of thinking this team is only a player or two away. He even does a great job of convincing the fanbase of it......

HemiEd
03-07-2007, 06:02 PM
i hate this ****ing team more than I hate redrum's mom begging for another facial....

yeah right.. LMAO

Fairplay
03-07-2007, 06:02 PM
King Carl's biggest flaw.....he always makes the mistake of thinking this team is only a player or two away. He even does a great job of convincing the fanbase of it......

Not i. And not with Herm at coaching.

DeezNutz
03-07-2007, 06:03 PM
Carl say no?!?! Carl lets his coaches have to much say that much is obvious hell the 1 time he made the pick DV bitched and moaned about it forever.

I guess it comes down to do you want to give your coach a player he doesn't want.......remember when he did that it took a bunch if injuries before LJ ever saw the field.

I always thought that JWhit was correct when he used to argue that DV spent too much time trying to validate his own role in the Rams' SuperBowl run. Case in point: pre Grandpa, Edwards = best player not to have played in the Pro-Bowl; Grandpa era = Edwards can't play at all, far too many tackles and int's for GRob's system.

shrek6849
03-07-2007, 06:05 PM
I think it's hilarious that you made the wrong decision in letting him go in his prime, and now pick him up in the twilight of his career.

Woodrow Call
03-07-2007, 06:07 PM
I don't have a problem with it at all. Upgrade over Bell and he still has 2 good years left IMO. Get lucky on a couple of DTs and this D could be pretty damn good.

Woodrow Call
03-07-2007, 06:11 PM
I think it's hilarious that you made the wrong decision in letting him go in his prime, and now pick him up in the twilight of his career.

Pretty productive in the twilight though. 141 Tackles last year so basically even if his tackles drop by 90 he would still match Bell.

Mecca
03-07-2007, 06:12 PM
Also when you hear the Chiefs may want to resign Mitchell and weigh this as Kawika Mitchell or Donnie Edwards......I don't care about age at that point Edwards is the way to go, no more Mitchell.

milkman
03-07-2007, 06:43 PM
Also when you hear the Chiefs may want to resign Mitchell and weigh this as Kawika Mitchell or Donnie Edwards......I don't care about age at that point Edwards is the way to go, no more Mitchell.

This possible signing doesn't thrill me, but as you said in an earlier post, we can't get young at every position all at once.

2 year deal and draft a repalcement with in the next couple years.

I've always felt that Chiefs fans in genneral have Edwards way overrrated, but I can live with it for a year or two if it means no Kawika.

dtebbe
03-07-2007, 06:46 PM
I lost all respect for Edwards when Dante pancaked him.

I think GoChiefs has the video...

DT

Douche Baggins
03-07-2007, 06:50 PM
If we sign Edwards it's obvious we're trying to win NOW. There will BE NO DOWN YEAR.

2007 KANSAS CITY CHIEFS AFC WEST CHAMPIONS NO.1 SEED IN THE PLAYOFFS SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS REPEAT IN 2008 AND 2009 MAKE HISTORY HERM IS GREAT LJ LEAGUE MVP HOF CAREER YEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

OnTheWarpath58
03-07-2007, 06:53 PM
If we sign Edwards it's obvious we're trying to win NOW. There will BE NO DOWN YEAR.

2007 KANSAS CITY CHIEFS AFC WEST CHAMPIONS NO.1 SEED IN THE PLAYOFFS SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS REPEAT IN 2008 AND 2009 MAKE HISTORY HERM IS GREAT LJ LEAGUE MVP HOF CAREER YEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

Hitting the cough syrup pretty hard, eh?

The Bad Guy
03-07-2007, 07:12 PM
Edwards is going to the Saints though.

To play where?

They just signed Simmons, they have Fujita and Simoneau, who they gave a contract extension to last year.

This move wouldn't be a bad one. Yeah, he's older, but he played great football the last few years and getting him over tinkerBell would be a huge upgrade.

The defense would actually be a DT away from being damn, damn good.

crazycoffey
03-07-2007, 07:12 PM

we should always be trying to improve our team all the time and win NOW.

DaneMcCloud
03-07-2007, 07:29 PM
Let him finish his career here and give some tutelage to DJ, Nap, and Fox.

I never understood you guys who think that the Chiefs should sign players to multi-million dollar contracts so that they can "give some tutelage" to other players.

Isn't that what the coaches are for?

:shake: :shake:

shaneo69
03-07-2007, 07:36 PM
I still fondly recall those three years ('99-'01) that Marvcus Patton outplayed Donnie on our defense.

Douche Baggins
03-07-2007, 07:42 PM
I still fondly recall those three years ('99-'01) that Marvcus Patton outplayed Donnie on our defense.

Highly debatable.

Mr. Kotter
03-07-2007, 07:47 PM
Marvcus was a Mike. Donnie a Willie....yes, Donnie got his share of tackles too. Gun's system, especially back then, funneled everything Marvcus's way.

Yeah, he was good; but Donnie was, and is, better.

tommykat
03-07-2007, 07:55 PM
Maybe I am one of the few here......I always liked Donnie Edwards and was sad to see him leave. I understand his reason without a doubt. But, "he" would be a great come back kid for a year or two. He was always liked in KC. He was always good to people there in public and he did do good things on defense. Personally? Hey, I could finally where my jersey that is in my closet with the price tag still on it.....ROFL

HolmeZz
03-07-2007, 08:48 PM
BK sounds really scared about the idea of us re-signing Donnie.

Mr. Laz
03-07-2007, 09:14 PM

****ING BRILLIANT
ROFL ROFL

:deevee:

Thig Lyfe
03-07-2007, 09:23 PM

****ING BRILLIANT

You just made me really depressed.

Direckshun
03-07-2007, 10:12 PM
Donnie for two years would be excellent.

He's descending, so he won't cost much. He'll do great while we young-up the rest of the squad over the next couple years.

Rausch
03-07-2007, 10:14 PM
Wait, if we do trade Green how much salary cap can we get back?...

jlscorpio
03-07-2007, 10:47 PM
I love this place. In the past two days, it could be paraphrased..."I'd rather have Kawiffa than Napoleon Harris, and I'll take Tinkerbell over Donnie Edwards". I would take Donnie Edwards in a body cast over Bell. How quickly we forget the days when Donnie was considered the heir apparent to DT, until Vermeil rolled into town to "Build a champion". What a ****in joke.

cmh6476
03-07-2007, 10:50 PM
OLB - Edwards
ILB - Kawika
ILB - Harris
OLB - DJ

:shrug:

this would make the impact of an Allen suspension and the glaring weakness at DT maybe a little less noticed...

Douche Baggins
03-07-2007, 10:52 PM
WE ARE NOT SWITCHING TO THE BLOODY 3-4

milkman
03-07-2007, 10:55 PM
OLB - Edwards
ILB - Kawika
ILB - Harris
OLB - DJ

this would make the impact of an Allen suspension and the glaring weakness at DT maybe a little less noticed...

Yeah great idea.

Of course there is the issue of finding DL that work in a 34.
That glaring weakness at NT would be, wel, glaring.

And of course Hali and Allen would be relegated to the bench because they don't fit the scheme, leaving us a glaring weakness at DE as well.

But hey, those are just details.

boogblaster
03-07-2007, 11:01 PM
We dont have the DL to play a 3-4 ........

SPchief
03-07-2007, 11:04 PM
Yeah great idea.

And of course Hali and Allen would be relegated to the bench because they don't fit the scheme, leaving us a glaring weakness at DE as well.

Nevermind the fact that we don't have the depth at LB to do it either.

ceebz
03-07-2007, 11:08 PM
Edwards is an OLB in a 4-3 system.....he only played inside in SD because of the 3-4 system that requires the big pass rushers outside.

Donnie played the mike position in KC. He's capable of playing either.

pikesome
03-07-2007, 11:11 PM
OLB - Edwards
ILB - Kawika
ILB - Harris
OLB - DJ

I though 3-4 proposals were banned. :rolleyes:

jlscorpio
03-07-2007, 11:24 PM
this just in...We're switching to a 3-4, and Trent Green's our new OC...

Demonpenz
03-07-2007, 11:33 PM
I wouldn't mind letting key play the entire season our kris griffin. See what they got. If we sign edwards and some other older guys I will be alittle pissed but once august comes around I will still be dreaming "this is the year" it is a sad state but every august i just think about us making a run this year.

Douche Baggins
03-07-2007, 11:35 PM
this just in...We're switching to a 3-4, and Trent Green's our new OC...

You're just trying to anger me now, aren't you?

BWillie
03-08-2007, 12:30 AM
I'd rather have Key Fox right now. Edwards is going to be kind of expensive, and Key Fox has shown flashes of greatness. I'd rather go with the young guy than a 34 year old guy that could burn out. I have no doubt that Edwards can still perform, but I thought we were trying to get younger? I have no problems with a Johnson, Harris, Fox linebacker core. That suits the cover 2 a whole hell of alot better than Kendrell "I can't get right" Bell and Mitchell who weren't really suited to our new scheme.

FDS
03-08-2007, 12:47 AM
Edwards has spent his entire career under Marty. The choke stench will not just fall off him now.

PBJ FirstDownSamie PBJ

SPchief
03-08-2007, 12:53 AM
Edwards has spent his entire career under Marty.

He has not.

FDS
03-08-2007, 12:55 AM
9/10ths of his career. And the choke stench is powerful with this one.

PBJ FirstDoownSamie PBJ

beer bacon
03-08-2007, 12:57 AM
Yeah great idea.

I actually think Hali and Allen could be pretty good OLBs in the 3-4. That still doesn't address that we don't really have any suitable d-linemen for that type of defense.

beer bacon
03-08-2007, 01:00 AM
I'd rather have Key Fox right now. Edwards is going to be kind of expensive, and Key Fox has shown flashes of greatness. I'd rather go with the young guy than a 34 year old guy that could burn out. I have no doubt that Edwards can still perform, but I thought we were trying to get younger? I have no problems with a Johnson, Harris, Fox linebacker core. That suits the cover 2 a whole hell of alot better than Kendrell "I can't get right" Bell and Mitchell who weren't really suited to our new scheme.

I would rather sign Edwards to a short, reasonable contract that won't kill our cap if he doesn't pan out. Right now, Edwards is a world ahead of Fox.

SPchief
03-08-2007, 01:07 AM
9/10ths of his career. And the choke stench is powerful with this one.

Parker Sucks

You're right, it is obviously Edwards fault that marty sucks in the playoffs.

Guru
03-08-2007, 01:07 AM
We have some brilliant ones on here sometimes.

Logical
03-08-2007, 01:09 AM
Good Luck Green Bay I hope they sign him.

FDS
03-08-2007, 01:09 AM

Just ask Oprah about it. It is imprinted in Donnie's brain: choke, choke, choke...

PBJ FirstDownSamiie PBJ

FDS
03-08-2007, 01:11 AM
We have some brilliant ones on here sometimes.

Don't you have Greg63's schlong to fluff? Or maybe that is the problem, you don't.

PBJ FirstDownSammie PBJ

DaWolf
03-08-2007, 01:16 AM
Our defense has lacked direction, leadership, and balls for the past seven years. If Edwards brings some of that back with him, welcome aboard...

Guru
03-08-2007, 01:16 AM
Don't you have Greg63's schlong to fluff? Or maybe that is the problem, you don't.

Parker Sucks
You like to dish it but sure don't like to take it.

FDS
03-08-2007, 01:20 AM
You like to dish it but sure don't like to take it.

It is better to give than receive. Ask Believer.

PBJ FirstDownSamiie PBJ

acesn8s
03-08-2007, 01:24 AM
You like to dish it but sure don't like to take it.That is not what GoChiefs has said.

Douche Baggins
03-08-2007, 01:24 AM
Freakin' n00bs

FDS
03-08-2007, 01:25 AM
Freakin' n00bs

We can not post at the same time!!! Now I must be Proctor.

PBJ FirstDownSammie PBJ

SPchief
03-08-2007, 01:31 AM
Lame

RedThat
03-08-2007, 03:27 AM
every penny spent on players over 28 is wasted....we aren't a player away from anything but another mediocre midround draft pick

play Croyle, or Huard, and lose and get a top pick and then get better and then maybe we could sign some crusty trash from a team smart enough to let that crusty trash walk....

OR...sign Edwards and finish 8-8 just because that's the way Carl likes it, good and ****ing mediocre forever...look at what we gained from Bell/Surtain/Law/Knight...that's right - ZIP ****ING NADDA NOTHING ****ING NEIN

I think you're overreacting a little bit. Who says the Chiefs are a player away from anything? This team is active, and trying to get better. At least give them some credit? Credit for trying at least. Geez. Last time I checked we signed a LT, a MLB, and are still looking at other players to help improve this team. Oh yeah and we still have the draft too. Its not like the Chiefs are sitting on their butts and neglecting the areas of need to help improve their football team.

I can't believe the audicity of some fans, you really want to see this team tank it, just become completely crap, just to get a good draft pick? Gimme a break. That is ridiculous. This is a team that made the playoffs last year. It's not like they are Detroit, or some other crappy team.

Just because you sign a veteran player it doesnt necessarily mean it is a waste of money. We've signed lots of guys 30 years old or more. Some were good, some not. But i think that's the nature of this business. You gain or lose. That's FA.

Law and Surtain aren't wastes. Bell and Knight on the other hand, are underachievers, and weren't worth the signings. See what I mean, you win or lose. Give or take.

And besides that, Donnie Edwards is not a player that is gonna contribute to helping us finish 8-8. If anything, he'll make us better. He is a good football player. A consistent football player, who makes plays, and manages to get over 100 tackles every year, and stays healthy too, EVERY SINGLE YEAR. I'll take that on my team thank you. He is WAY better than Bell. Heck, Id rather see him lineup at OLB than Bell? Wouldn't you?

He's got all the tools, athleticism, skills, and intangibles to play in a cover 2 scheme.

Sometimes age can be overlooked. But he was still an effective LB last year, and I anticipate he will be again this year. Old or not, he is still showing he can play, and be productive year in or year out. Don't get me wrong, I like the idea of getting younger too, but not entirely young like some fans make it seem like we should do. A football team ALWAYS needs some veterans. Actually, I think you need a good mix of both veteran leadership and youth. Have you noticed that teams that win championships have their share of veteran leadership, and youth?

Signing a guy like Donnie Edwards won't hurt it'll only add another proven veteran on this team.

Fruit Ninja
03-08-2007, 03:52 AM
Knight was well worth the signing. Bell on the other hand has been worthless.

ChiefFan31
03-08-2007, 04:08 AM
Yes, CP used to sell very well that we were a player or two away. Even the casual fan knows that is not the case now, no matter what CP says or his minions write.

I have long since let go of any disappointment that we did not resign Donnie Edwards. Upon first thought of us maybe resigning him early in the offseason, I did not like it as we need to get younger and rebuild.

However, I think it is pretty much universally known that as long as Carl Peterson is the GM, we are not going to go through back to back 4-12 seasons and do a full rebuild and draft a solid core of players that will eventually gives us a legitimate shot at a SB Title.

Given where we are at now, I am okay with resigning Donnie Edwards to a two year contract. He would do a good job at playing the outside LB spot putting us in the spot to wave goodbye to Kendrell Bell. That would give us a couple of good years to look to other positions of need in the draft, and we could eventually draft and groom a replacement as previously posted in this thread.

Why would anyone think we would go to a 3-4? Herm is a 4-3 Cover 2 guy. He would be tickled pink if we were just like the 99 Bucs and lost in the conference championship game 11-6. Once we rebuild a solid defense, he just might have Shaun King on speed dial and bring him out of retirement. Who knows.

KC56DJ
03-08-2007, 08:50 AM
I think if we had johnson, harris, and edwards we would have 3 very athletic talented backers, so i wouldnt complain one bit

the Talking Can
03-08-2007, 08:57 AM
I can't believe the audicity of some fans, you really want to see this team tank it, just become completely crap, just to get a good draft pick? .

no, I want us to sign more aging vets and finish 9-7 again and not win a playoff game for another 30 years....that makes me a true fan

The Bad Guy
03-08-2007, 09:05 AM
no, I want us to sign more aging vets and finish 9-7 again and not win a playoff game for another 30 years....that makes me a true fan

Signing one vet this offseason, who played at a pretty damn high level last year, doesn't mean we finish 9-7. You have to get good football players. The Chiefs defense next year will have hopefully 7 starters all 28 or younger.

We got jack shit production out of Bell. Fox has never shown anything when he has been in. We have 2 LBs that are 28 and younger starting.

I don't see the downside to signing Edwards when our depth at LB is pure shit.

htismaqe
03-08-2007, 09:08 AM
Signing one vet this offseason, who played at a pretty damn high level last year, doesn't mean we finish 9-7. You have to get good football players. The Chiefs defense next year will have hopefully 7 starters all 28 or younger.

We got jack shit production out of Bell. Fox has never shown anything when he has been in. We have 2 LBs that are 28 and younger starting.

You mean you wouldn't rather have a 7th-round draft pick starting at OLB, just because he's younger?

Bootlegged
03-08-2007, 09:09 AM

Agreed.

Sure-Oz
03-08-2007, 09:10 AM
Edwards game hasn't slowed down, he has always made some plays and thats what we need is more playmakers on defense. He is a pretty athletic LB and will make plays, i would be for signing him and helpin our LB depth.

the Talking Can
03-08-2007, 09:19 AM
You mean you wouldn't rather have a 7th-round draft pick starting at OLB, just because he's younger?

if it means the difference between the 5th pick and the 15th pick in the draft next year, then yes...vet LBs are always available in FA, and we have no need for one until we're serious about contending...otherwise we're just serious about 9-7....

I'd rather give the playing time to youngster who might actually be here when we're done rebuilding, save the money for FA next year, and get a higher draft pick to boot....

or sign more old Vets, hell why not...that strategy has a proven track record of success in KC....

whatever, I just want to be a true fan :)

InChiefsHell
03-08-2007, 09:26 AM
I just don't think that Kawika would be a bad fit on the outside. He's young and athletic. I have'nt read the whole thread, but I'm guessing I'm the only one that doesn't want to throw him under the bus...

Chiefnj
03-08-2007, 09:28 AM
Since I don't think the offense and the DL are going to rise to a level where the Chiefs can seriously compete for the Super Bowl. That means a player like DE would be wasted. When the Chiefs would be ready to make a run Edwards will be on a major decline. So, what's the point in signing him unless you want to try to maintain the status quo?

The Bad Guy
03-08-2007, 09:48 AM
if it means the difference between the 5th pick and the 15th pick in the draft next year, then yes...vet LBs are always available in FA, and we have no need for one until we're serious about contending...otherwise we're just serious about 9-7....

I'd rather give the playing time to youngster who might actually be here when we're done rebuilding, save the money for FA next year, and get a higher draft pick to boot....

or sign more old Vets, hell why not...that strategy has a proven track record of success in KC....

whatever, I just want to be a true fan :)

This argument has so many holes, I don't even know where to start.

You have no idea whether we would get a top 5 or top 15 draft pick regardless if we started Edwards or a rookie 7th rounder.

If we did draft that high, you have no idea what would become of that said player. The last time we picked near 5, we have a fat, unmotivated pile of garbage taking up 2nd place on our non-existent DT depth chart.

I don't know how this team will shape up come September, but I'm happy about the additions thusfar, and the subtractions that came with the additions. Adding Donnie, who has played better the last 2 years than I have ever seen him, is not an indication that this team doesn't want to get younger.

It's an indication that if you have a lot of youth around you (Allen, Hali, DJ, Nap, Page, Pollard) then you need some vets to help lead the way. I think the biggest problem last year was Kawika tried to be a leader, and not one person on defense gave a rat's ass about what he was saying.

That changes with someone like Donnie.

htismaqe
03-08-2007, 10:17 AM
I've seen several mocks in the last few days that have Okoye and/or Brown falling into the 18 range.

Signing Donnie Edwards plugs a gap, allowing the team the ability to trade up if needed to get a bonafide stud player.

Logical
03-08-2007, 10:23 AM
Highly debatable.Your football knowledge?

Logical
03-08-2007, 10:25 AM
This argument has so many holes, I don't even know where to start.

You have no idea whether we would get a top 5 or top 15 draft pick regardless if we started Edwards or a rookie 7th rounder.

If we did draft that high, you have no idea what would become of that said player. The last time we picked near 5, we have a fat, unmotivated pile of garbage taking up 2nd place on our non-existent DT depth chart.

I don't know how this team will shape up come September, but I'm happy about the additions thusfar, and the subtractions that came with the additions. Adding Donnie, who has played better the last 2 years than I have ever seen him, is not an indication that this team doesn't want to get younger.

It's an indication that if you have a lot of youth around you (Allen, Hali, DJ, Nap, Page, Pollard) then you need some vets to help lead the way. I think the biggest problem last year was Kawika tried to be a leader, and not one person on defense gave a rat's ass about what he was saying.

That changes with someone like Donnie.

Not being a smartass, but have we actually cut anyone or let anyone go yet. Maybe I missed some. I am sure we will, just have not heard any.

RedThat
03-08-2007, 10:26 AM
I've seen several mocks in the last few days that have Okoye and/or Brown falling into the 18 range.

Signing Donnie Edwards plugs a gap, allowing the team the ability to trade up if needed to get a bonafide stud player.

Im hoping that, we trade Green, get some extra picks for him, and trade up in the draft to get a stud player.

the Talking Can
03-08-2007, 10:26 AM
ok, I've changed my mind

I don't want us signing anyone over the age of 24....

RedThat
03-08-2007, 10:29 AM
Not being a smartass, but have we actually cut anyone or let anyone go yet. Maybe I missed some. I am sure we will, just have not heard any.

No. But I think he means not re-signings guys back like Black, Mitchell, Reed, or R. Edwards.

siberian khatru
03-08-2007, 10:31 AM
I think the biggest problem last year was Kawika tried to be a leader, and not one person on defense gave a rat's ass about what he was saying.

Yeah, I've thought about that a lot of times. Whichever game it was, Kawika on the sidelines trying to fire up Law and Surtain, and they're sitting there looking like "Yeah, whatever."

Pushead2
03-08-2007, 10:43 AM
I wish Kawika would sign with someone else so I can have my party.....
IMO I would like Fox , Harris , Johnson...... Edwards is good to but Fox would be younger but his health is what draws him back alil.

noa
03-09-2007, 01:47 PM
Donnie Edwards update:

Eagles | Team interested in Edwards
Fri, 9 Mar 2007 12:20:05 -0800

John Nalbone, of the Trenton Times, reports the Philadelphia Eagles have expressed interest in unrestricted free-agent LB Donnie Edwards (Chargers).