PDA

View Full Version : I know anti-freeze will work, but is there any other way to keep dogs from digging?

PastorMikH
03-08-2007, 12:25 PM
My dogs never really had an issue with digging until someone gave me a dog that I kept for a year or so that dug. Now they have all learned to love it. They don't try to dig out persay, just dig. Now that we have a fenced in yard, I'd really like to let the dogs run loose in the back yard but they both are starting to dig.

Any solutions that keep the dogs healthy while detering them from digging?

Simply Red
03-08-2007, 12:26 PM
Rat Poison mixed with Alpo (canned)

JimNasium
Stab him in the face.

PastorMikH
Rat Poison mixed with Alpo (canned)

LMAO

Simply Red
03-08-2007, 12:27 PM
Seriously though? I know this isn't what you want to hear but: Google it on this one.

JimNasium
03-08-2007, 12:27 PM
Seriously though, my BIL had to kennel his German Sheppard with a concrete run. He didn't want to do it but he also wanted to have grass in the yard.

PastorMikH
03-08-2007, 12:31 PM
Seriously though? I know this isn't what you want to hear but: Google it on this one.

I could do that but...

1) I trust the Planet's insight more than Google
2) On Google I have to weed through more than just humorous death suggestions
3) I'm lazy
4) Unlike some posters that put threads up at random, I like to have a reason to start a thread.

:)

wutamess
03-08-2007, 12:31 PM
Cut off the muthafuggin feet.

JimNasium
03-08-2007, 12:32 PM
Mike, I've also heard that if the digging is in a specific area that you should bury his latest poo and he won't dig in that area anymore. Wouldn't hurt to try.

J Diddy
teach him to wear shoes. He might dig, but it will be entertaining to watch.

NewChief
One thing I've heard:

Bury an inflated balloon where they dig. They'll try to dig up the balloon. It will pop and scare the crap out of them. They then are scared to dig. Never had to try it myself, but might be worth trying.

If that doesn't work, fill the balloon with antifreeze instead of air.

Stewie
03-08-2007, 12:33 PM
Usually they just need more exercise. Live cats in the yard work well as a distraction. :)

JimNasium
03-08-2007, 12:34 PM
You might also consider signage
http://www.tarmac.co.uk/quarryville/i/safety/DoNotDig.gif

seclark
03-08-2007, 12:36 PM
i have a lab that digs in the yard when there are moles around.
sec

PastorMikH
teach him to wear shoes. He might dig, but it will be entertaining to watch.

LMAO

I have a pair of boots for the bird dog for when she's hunting in an area with lots of sand burrs. That might be worth a laugh or two.

Dartgod
I wish I knew. My dog likes to dig up the nuts that the squirrels have buried and eats them. She's taught the new dog that trick too.

PastorMikH
03-08-2007, 12:37 PM
Mike, I've also heard that if the digging is in a specific area that you should bury his latest poo and he won't dig in that area anymore. Wouldn't hurt to try.

I don't think that would work.

The Bird Dog would dig to get to the Stupid Spaniel's and the Stupid Spaniel would dig to get to the Bird Dogs.

Wile_E_Coyote
03-08-2007, 12:37 PM
clip thier nails?

Simply Red
03-08-2007, 12:38 PM
You might also consider signage
http://www.tarmac.co.uk/quarryville/i/safety/DoNotDig.gif
:D

PastorMikH
03-08-2007, 12:40 PM
Usually they just need more exercise. Live cats in the yard work well as a distraction. :)

Yeah, right! :rolleyes:

I opened the shades this morning while I was making coffee. I looked out the window and there's a puny little black cat strolling accross the yard. Both dogs are snoozing in the wife's chairs (that something else she thinks they need broke from). I hollered at them to sic'em and they just looked around. Finally I step outside holler and point, the cat looks at me, the dogs look at the cat then back at me. When they were penned up all the time they acted vicious towards the cats. I guess it's a whole different story when they can actually get in range of the cat's claws.

NewChief
03-08-2007, 12:42 PM
Here are some ideas from some site I found online. Note: the balloon idea is on here, so don't act like I'm crazy.

Confine your dog when you can't supervise him. Place him in a crate or kennel run whenever you aren't around to spy on him. You'll need to do this until you have fixed the digging problem.

Blow up some balloons and bury them in the area your dog likes to dig. When he strikes a balloon, the noise of it popping startles your dog. In some cases the negative association this produces is enough to stop your dog from digging in the future.

If you are able to be around your dog for a couple of days, you could achieve some success with this method. Whenever your dog starts to dig, reprimand him and spray him with the hose. Again this method produces a negative association to your dog each time he digs. You must be perform this reprimand every time your dog starts digging holes.

If your dog has a favorite spot he likes to dig you can bury some chicken wire just under the surface of this area. When your dog starts to dig he won't like the feeling of his paws scraping along the wire. I've used this method myself and found that it worked well for my dalmation puppy.

This one doesn't sound very nice but is a very popular and effective way to stop your dog from digging. What you do is fill up the holes your dog has created, adding some of his poop (feces) to the filling. Most dogs are really put off by this and won't attempt to dig again. Some trainers advocate feeding your dog pineapple before performing this technique. Apparently the pineapple smells terrible when mixed with the poop.

Some dogs just copy what they see their owners doing. So if you're working away in the garden, suddenly your dog may be interested in doing the same! Such dogs may need to be confined while you are working in the garden.

If you've got the room a great solution for both you and your dogs is to provide them with a digging area. You can actually encourage your dog to dig in this designated area. Fill it with nice soft sand and bury some of your dogs favorite treats in it. Most dogs figure out that if they want to dig, they must go to this area.

If your dog is digging under the fence it may be worth filling in all the holes in and under the fence. This takes away the visual temptation your dog may be trying to get at.

If none of the above methods work for you and your dogs, you may wish to try a remote electronic training collar or e-collar. This method does work, although I realise many dog owners don't like the sound of using such a device. In reality it works the same way as many of the other techniques in that it provides a negative association to the act of digging.

If you take a trip down to your local Pet Shop you will find many commercial products that claim to help digging problems. They are effective for some dogs and may be worth a try.

JBucc
03-08-2007, 12:42 PM
1-800-CZR-MLAN

AZORChiefFan
03-08-2007, 12:45 PM
I've heard about burying their poop in the holes where they dig or mothball flakes, burying a mouse trap so when they dig it'll snap and scare them kinda like the balloon.

patteeu
03-08-2007, 12:50 PM
One thing I've heard:

Bury an inflated balloon where they dig. They'll try to dig up the balloon. It will pop and scare the crap out of them. They then are scared to dig. Never had to try it myself, but might be worth trying.

That's a pretty clever idea.

JBucc
03-08-2007, 12:52 PM
Find a dog at the pound that has digging problems and let him hang out with your dogs until they become friends. Then when the stray starts to dig, grab him by the back and slit his throat. Make sure the other dogs see this. Might want to leave his dead body there for a few days just as a reminder. Unless the other dogs start to eat him, in which case, you should remove the dead body by throwing it into the neighbors' yard.

seclark
03-08-2007, 12:53 PM
let the dog dig.
more holes = less mowing
sec

patteeu
03-08-2007, 12:54 PM
If none of the above methods work for you and your dogs, you may wish to try a remote electronic training collar or e-collar. This method does work, although I realise many dog owners don't like the sound of using such a device. In reality it works the same way as many of the other techniques in that it provides a negative association to the act of digging.

This is the technique I used and it worked like a charm. The down side is that you have to devote a significant amount of time to spy on your dog in order to catch him in the act and apply the shock.

stlchiefs
03-08-2007, 01:03 PM
Long time lurker, present N00b posting here.

I had a lab that dug and chewed (only trees in the backyard) when she was a pup. There is a product called Boundary available at pet stores that I used. I just spread the granules in the holes. http://www.petsmart.com/global/product_detail.jsp?cm_ven=goo&cm_cat=adwords&cm_pla=unknown&cm_ite=sku&ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_id=2534374302023689&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302033167&PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524441780739&bmUID=1173383905743

I also heard of and tried putting crushed red/chili peppers in the holes, but this didn't work well for my dog.

While on the topic another good remedy that I've heard of and swear by, if you dog chews on unwanted items (such as sapling trees). Mix a spice called Alum with water to form a paste and spread on the target object. Alum is bitter and the dog will quickly avoid chewing on the object.

Congrats Pastor, you brought me out of my 3+ years of lurking. Sorry so long for a 1st post.

seclark
03-08-2007, 01:08 PM

Congrats Pastor, you brought me out of my 3+ years of lurking. Sorry so long for a 1st post.

welcome
quality is always better than quantity.
unless we're talking money.
sec

Redrum_69
03-08-2007, 01:15 PM
My dogs never really had an issue with digging until someone gave me a dog that I kept for a year or so that dug. Now they have all learned to love it. They don't try to dig out persay, just dig. Now that we have a fenced in yard, I'd really like to let the dogs run loose in the back yard but they both are starting to dig.

SHoot the bastard

Redrum_69
03-08-2007, 01:16 PM

Stop having your wife reproduce

Redrum_69

dog pound

seclark
SHoot the bastard
the dog, or the guy that gave him the dog?
sec

Taco John
03-08-2007, 01:17 PM

I had a lab that dug and chewed (only trees in the backyard) when she was a pup. There is a product called Boundary available at pet stores that I used. I just spread the granules in the holes. http://www.petsmart.com/global/product_detail.jsp?cm_ven=goo&cm_cat=adwords&cm_pla=unknown&cm_ite=sku&ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_id=2534374302023689&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302033167&PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524441780739&bmUID=1173383905743

I also heard of and tried putting crushed red/chili peppers in the holes, but this didn't work well for my dog.

While on the topic another good remedy that I've heard of and swear by, if you dog chews on unwanted items (such as sapling trees). Mix a spice called Alum with water to form a paste and spread on the target object. Alum is bitter and the dog will quickly avoid chewing on the object.

Anyone got the cliff notes version for this one?

Redrum_69
03-08-2007, 01:18 PM
replace the yard with concrete and triple razor wire to encourage the dog not to jump

Spread the claymore mines around the yard and dont forget to put dog biscuits in small piles in front of said location of claymores.

wilas101
03-08-2007, 01:29 PM
I think JimNasium was on the right track with the sign.

Personally, I would explain to my dog(s) that digging isn't allowed unless you have called 1-800-DIG-RITE and had all buried cables/pipes marked.

Since dogs can't use the phone they can't call it in themselves. I would never make the call therefore nothing would be marked and as a result my dogs would be kept in limbo waiting for someone to mark everything so they could start digging.

As long as they don't figure out you can make the request on the internet everything will work out.

Frankie
03-08-2007, 01:39 PM
Build them a large hill and let them dig away until it's flat in a few years.

stlchiefs
03-08-2007, 01:41 PM
Anyone got the cliff notes version for this one?
1. Use this: http://www.petsmart.com/global/product_detail.jsp?cm_ven=goo&cm_cat=adwords&cm_pla=unknown&cm_ite=sku&ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_id=2534374302023689&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302033167&PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524441780739&bmUID=1173383905743
2. Go Here:
http://www.orangemane.com/ :p

Redrum_69
03-08-2007, 01:45 PM
Teach the dogs how to play in the highway

Redrum_69
03-08-2007, 01:46 PM
If they are pitbulls, let them run wild along with the other packs

soon everything will fall

and then all that will be left are packs of pitbulls

JimNasium
03-08-2007, 02:01 PM
welcome
quality is always better than quantity.
unless we're talking money.
sec
Now you tell me.

Pushead2
03-08-2007, 02:12 PM
I just have a fat Puggle that I wished dug or did some type of exercise. I took him on a run once and no more then 3min in he was dragging. They told me he wasn't to be more then 20lbs!!!! I followed the feeding guideline :(.... hes just fat....

Eric
03-08-2007, 02:38 PM
http://www.landroller.com/myimages/Cesar-Millan-dog-whisper-lr.jpg

Frazod
03-08-2007, 02:43 PM
let the dog dig.
more holes = less mowing
sec

Spoken like a true cricker. :D

Iowanian
03-08-2007, 02:46 PM
Have you tried Cayene pepper sprinkled in the areas in which its digging?

12 guage with rock salt?

Simply Red
03-08-2007, 02:54 PM
Have you tried Cayene pepper sprinkled in the areas in which its digging?

12 guage with rock salt?

Wouldn't you want to use the rock salt with a 16 gge. so that it eases the blow a bit?

boogblaster
03-08-2007, 03:00 PM
Map out a area for the dog to dig..when hes done fill it with water..gives your wife a place to wallow...

seclark
03-08-2007, 03:03 PM
you know what it's like around these parts.
sec

MOhillbilly
03-08-2007, 03:06 PM
cut its feet off.

e-collar.

cs gas.

all have worked wonders for me in the past.

Redrum_69
03-08-2007, 03:10 PM
If you have asian or oriental ancestors....fatten the dog up ...then cook the dog and eat him for thanksgiving...

Simply Red
03-08-2007, 03:10 PM
cut its feet off.

e-collar.

cs gas.

How many wifes ago was that?

MOhillbilly
03-08-2007, 03:12 PM
How many wifes ago was that?
lets say 'always one to few'.

mmmm that has a ring to it.....

Simply Red
03-08-2007, 03:13 PM
lets say 'always one to few'.

mmmm that has a ring to it.....
:shake:

ROFL

MOhillbilly
03-08-2007, 03:15 PM
this is an option.

http://andreaweckerlecopywriting.typepad.com/new_millennium_pr/images/dog_killed_as_food_5.jpg

PastorMikH
03-08-2007, 03:19 PM

I wonder how many people on the planet know what that means?

HemiEd
03-08-2007, 03:19 PM
Good thread Mike. I have experienced a similar problem when I had larger dogs that stayed outside.
There have been a lot of good ideas expressed.
You are down in red dirt country right? Where it is hot as heck?
I always thought they were doing it because the dirt is cooler under the surface and could lay there head in it. Do you have a cool basement they could reside in while it is hot?

PastorMikH
03-08-2007, 03:21 PM
http://www.landroller.com/myimages/Cesar-Millan-dog-whisper-lr.jpg

There's a level of society that Redrum has a legit chance of reaching - if he works at it really, really hard that is.

PastorMikH
03-08-2007, 03:22 PM
1. Use this: http://www.petsmart.com/global/product_detail.jsp?cm_ven=goo&cm_cat=adwords&cm_pla=unknown&cm_ite=sku&ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_id=2534374302023689&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302033167&PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524441780739&bmUID=1173383905743
2. Go Here:
http://www.orangemane.com/ :p

Second post and he's talking smaque at taco. This guy could have potential!

seclark
03-08-2007, 03:22 PM
I wonder how many people on the planet know what that means?
i do, but i always thought it was spelled "kricker". i'm not an authority though.
sec

seclark
03-08-2007, 03:24 PM
this is an option.

http://andreaweckerlecopywriting.typepad.com/new_millennium_pr/images/dog_killed_as_food_5.jpg
shouldn't this be in the "grill tips" thread?
sec

PastorMikH
03-08-2007, 03:27 PM
i do, but i always thought it was spelled "kricker". i'm not an authority though.
sec

I remember back not long after I first started posting here something was said about Frazod attending the same high school my wife did (he was a couple of years ahead of her). I asked her if she knew him and she said knew who he was and that he used to hang with the crickers (or Krickers) so she didn't really know him.

Frazod
03-08-2007, 03:45 PM
sec
The "crick" part is derived from the word "creek." "Crickers" is short for "Shitcrickers", who reside in Shitcrick Holler, or Shit Creek Hollow, otherwise known as the Valley of the Open Sewer.

So I guess it's just a matter of howe badd yur spelin iz. :D

Frazod
03-08-2007, 03:48 PM
I remember back not long after I first started posting here something was said about Frazod attending the same high school my wife did (he was a couple of years ahead of her). I asked her if she knew him and she said knew who he was and that he used to hang with the crickers (or Krickers) so she didn't really know him.

Hey, that's where I got my weed. :Pimp:

PastorMikH
03-09-2007, 07:32 AM
Well, I think the dogs have earned a free pass to dig where ever they want today.

A little before 6 am they both all of a sudden go crazy and are barking and such. They were so worked up that the wife (who was getting ready for work at the time) went to the door and the Bird Dog growled at her and wouldn't let her out of the door until after I stepped out first.

Upon surveying the yard, the gate was shut but the latch sticks so I always make sure it's down because I don't want the dogs getting out. It wasn't and I was the last one through it. I have no doubt that a person was in the yard. I'm thinking that they probably were cutting through the yard and hoping the back fence. Given the shape of the back fence (several panels/boards broken at the top) I'd say someone has been in the habit of this for a while. I'll bet they start going through another yard now though.

Brock
03-09-2007, 07:45 AM
cut its feet off.

e-collar.

cs gas.

dogs don't have feet

MOhillbilly
03-09-2007, 08:42 AM
dogs don't have feet

tell that to the dog w/ no feet.

Mr. Laz
03-09-2007, 08:46 AM
black pepper

MOhillbilly
03-09-2007, 09:47 AM
black pepper

always talkin bout it cause i love it.