PDA

View Full Version : Wow...McMichael to Rams

OnTheWarpath58
03-08-2007, 01:28 PM
They need defensive help in the worst way, but keep signing offensive guys.....That offense is looking even better now.....look for a lot of 38-35 games until they get some DT's/CB's

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2791987&campaign=rss&source=NFLHeadlines

Tight end Randy McMichael, released by the Miami Dolphins earlier this week, on Thursday afternoon reached an agreement with the St. Louis Rams on a three-year contract.

Financial details of the contract were not yet available, but St. Louis was one of at least five teams to aggressively pursue McMichael after his release. Despite his consistent productivity, the Dolphins jettisoned McMichael to avoid paying him a $3 million roster bonus that was due this week.

The deal reunites McMichael with Rams head coach Scott Linehan, who was his offensive coordinator in Miami in 2005.

McMichael, 27, is the second significant addition to the Rams' passing game in recent days. Last week, St. Louis signed unrestricted free agent wide receiver Drew Bennett to a six-year, $30 million contract. The two new acquisitions will add even more firepower to an already explosive Rams' passing game.

In five seasons with the Dolphins, McMichael established himself as one of the league's top receiving tight ends. The former University of Georgia standout is not an overpowering in-line blocker, but is an excellent athlete who runs good routes and has the ability to add yards after the catch.

A fourth-round choice in the 2002 draft, McMichael has 282 career catches for 3,096 yards and 18 touchdowns. He has 60-plus receptions in each of the past three seasons and has never posted fewer than 39 catches in a campaign.

McMichael has never missed a game in his career, appearing in 80 straight contests, all as a starter.

The Rams invested a pair of draft choices on tight ends in 2006, selecting Joe Klopfenstein in the second round and Dominique Byrd in the third round, and both played well at times as rookies. But being able to land a veteran tight end with McMichael's credentials figures to provide a boost to the St. Louis offense and should provide Linehan plenty of flexibility.

Mile High Mania
03-08-2007, 01:30 PM
Nice! From a fantasy perspective, I'm digging this addition a lot and along with Drew Bennett... this should not only help Bulger, it will definitely help Steven Jackson. It will likely cut into this PPR numbers, but that's ok by me.

jiveturkey
03-08-2007, 01:30 PM
This will make my job even easier when I have to pick for these retards in the mock draft.

Best DT or DB available.

OnTheWarpath58
03-08-2007, 01:31 PM
This will make my job even easier when I have to pick for these retards in the mock draft.

Best DT or DB available.

If Okoye is there at 13 and they don't take him......

noa
03-08-2007, 01:32 PM
I'm not surprised. Scott Linehan had McMichael for that year in Miami when he was the OC.

Iowanian
03-08-2007, 01:33 PM
I'll bet they are taking care of their offense in FA and will draft very heavy on Defense.

I like Both signings...Bennet and McMichael

DaneMcCloud
03-08-2007, 01:38 PM
I'm not surprised. Scott Linehan had McMichael for that year in Miami when he was the OC.

Bingo.

Sure-Oz
03-08-2007, 01:39 PM
They def. should go all Def. in the draft, they have a pretty potent offense now, esp with the 2 signings now.

Woodrow Call
03-08-2007, 01:43 PM
I'd say Byrd's act has wore thin.

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=NFL&id=3622

Rams TE Dominique Byrd was arrested for a DUI Tuesday.

The second-year player was already facing assault charges and could eventually be punished by the league. Byrd was a disappointment after St. Louis drafted him in the third round last year.

OnTheWarpath58
03-08-2007, 01:46 PM
I'll bet they are taking care of their offense in FA and will draft very heavy on Defense.

I like Both signings...Bennet and McMichael

Me too, as much as I hate to say it.

The core of their offense is still really young.

Their oldest offensive starter is 31...Orlando Pace.

Defense is pretty young too....just have made some draft mistakes.

(Jimmy Kennedy, Ryan Pickett, Damione Lewis, Robert Thomas)

StcChief
03-08-2007, 02:07 PM
And the reason we care about the Lambs is what?

L.A. Chieffan
03-08-2007, 02:19 PM
bye bye okoye..

Mile High Mania
03-08-2007, 02:20 PM
And the reason we care about the Lambs is what?

Well, it is your home town team... just trying to make you feel at home.

Brock
03-08-2007, 02:20 PM
bye bye okoye..

Uh....ok.....

L.A. Chieffan
03-08-2007, 02:30 PM
Uh....ok.....
I was holding onto a small hope he would fall to us but it's looking more and more unlikely will even be able to trade up and get him

Brock
03-08-2007, 02:34 PM
I was holding onto a small hope he would fall to us but it's looking more and more unlikely will even be able to trade up and get him

I guess I don't see what that has to do with Randy McMichael.

L.A. Chieffan
03-08-2007, 02:37 PM
I guess I don't see what that has to do with Randy McMichael.
Uhhh the Rams are going to draft defense?
Is this...what thread is this?

Brock
03-08-2007, 03:08 PM
Uhhh the Rams are going to draft defense?
Is this...what thread is this?

And you think signing a tight end was going to change what their first round pick is?

L.A. Chieffan
03-08-2007, 03:19 PM
And you think signing a tight end was going to change what their first round pick is?
You're right they're gonna draft a TE still. My bad.

Cave Johnson
03-08-2007, 03:40 PM
This is a random signing. Joel Kloppenstein in the 2nd last year and now McMichael?

Brock
03-08-2007, 03:46 PM
You're right they're gonna draft a TE still. My bad.

I'd sure like to know what TE you think they were going to take up there.

L.A. Chieffan
03-08-2007, 03:51 PM
I'd sure like to know what TE you think they were going to take up there.
It's not just a TE. They also signed Drew Bennett and resigned one of their OT. Not to mention they have 4 or 5 defensive guys that are UFA's and they don't seem to overanxious to keep em. Adding it all up it looks like they are probably going to draft defense early and Okoye is the top Dt in the draft.

Did I really have to spell all that out for you, or are you just giving me a hard time. :rolleyes:

Brock
03-08-2007, 03:56 PM
It's not just a TE. They also signed Drew Bennett and resigned one of their OT. Not to mention they have 4 or 5 defensive guys that are UFA's and they don't seem to overanxious to keep em. Adding it all up it looks like they are probably going to draft defense early and Okoye is the top Dt in the draft.

Did I really have to spell all that out for you, or are you just giving me a hard time. :rolleyes:

Well, no shit they're going to draft defense. Thanks, Nostradamus. I was just curious what real difference it makes that they've signed some second tier tight end.

L.A. Chieffan
03-08-2007, 04:06 PM
Well, no shit they're going to draft defense. Thanks, Nostradamus. I was just curious what real difference it makes that they've signed some second tier tight end.
I was just curious why you're singling me out when pretty much every poster in the thread before me said the same thing. All I was saying was that I wanted Okoye.

Time to switch to decaff dude.

noa
03-08-2007, 04:24 PM

Its not the fact that they've signed some second tier tight end. Its that they spent more money on the FA market on offense. That makes it pretty clear they are going defense in the draft. Even more so than it already was. I think that's all L.A. Chieffan was trying to say.