PDA

View Full Version : Grbashers coming out of the closet

47mack
03-13-2001, 07:08 AM
I haven't been on the planet in a couple of days, but I am shocked at what I've been missing........EVERYONE IS A GRBASHER.

There is so much tension on this board. I remember not to long ago when I was a Grbasher (which I am no longer, though I still don't like him and I am willing to be again) and life on the planet was tough.

Lets hear everyone's real thoughts on EG, now that he is gone......

Mark M
03-13-2001, 07:22 AM
I used to be Grbacker, and I think that he will do well in Baltimore's simplistic offense.

But the way in which he left ... the fact that he wouldn't restructure, made a ridiculous contract demand and his comment that he "knows how to win" has turned me into a Grbasher.

To quote from 58forever: screw the Mother Grbacer, son of a Grbac, Grbachole ...

MM
~~Holds a Grbac grudge.

Gaz
03-13-2001, 07:35 AM
Grbac did what he thought best for his career. I am not going to bash him for that. Did we expect him to remain in KC out of loyalty?

To quote Packfan: get real.

This is a business. Loyalty is an outdated concept. Free agency and the salary cap crushed loyalty. An athlete is vulnerable to release when his value to the team declines or his price escalates [Grbac, Anders, Hasty].

Should the Chiefs have retained these players out of loyalty?

See the previous Packfan quote.

Grbac is gone. He is making public comments to show how happy he is to be in his new home. Part of that performance requires that he explain why his last venue was not a good place to work. It is not personal, it is business.

xoxo~
gaz
lost interest in Grbac when he left the R&G.

kcred
03-13-2001, 07:45 AM
Gaz, you summed it up admirably, this is a business pure and simple. What did everyone expect him to do, go to Baltimore and say, "well, I really wish I were still a Chief". And whether anyone wants to admit it or not, he was treated like sh!t here. The losses were all his fault, and the wins were credited to his great receivers. I still wish we had him, and hope he does well in Baltimore, except, of course, if we meet in the playoffs.

Baby Lee
03-13-2001, 07:45 AM
Grbashers coming out of the closet
So, they admit they're gay? Not that there's anything wrong with that :)

Seriously though, I may take a good deal of flack for this, but I glean a bit of [masochistic, I guess] pleasure from seeing Grbac stand up for himself. It seems rare in sports that a player so disliked wielded so much power over his destiny. While I might have hoped that Elvis would do all the heavy lifting [restructure AGAIN, play kissy-kiss with DV and AS[s], swallow the bile and take responsibility for another loss where the 'sacrosanct-sieve' defense played patty-cake with the opposition, resume pushing that 'booing home fans' rock up the hill, pray his wife is treated with an ounce of dignity in the stands, etc.], I can certainly understand why playing for the SB champs might be a little more appealing.

I cannot get out of my mind the mental picture of Chiefs fans as the typical movie 'bad boyfriend' watching with incredulity as the 'mousy girlfriend' tells him to take a flying leap and hops in the Trans Am with the BMOC. Ironically, the Chiefs fans have the same agape, dumbfounded expression on their faces as that for which Grbac was once so famous.

Mark M
03-13-2001, 07:49 AM
Gaz, kcred and JC--
All very good points. And I guess I should've clarified mine.

My point is that if he was so unhappy here, if he was so miserable that he wanted to leave, then he should've just said so at the end of the season.

Instead, he screwed KC by waiting until the last minute and now they are left in a bind. I could care less about a player being loyal. Being honest, on the other hand ...

MM
~~Believes that honesty is the best policy.

gh4chiefs
03-13-2001, 08:01 AM
I would agree with you Gaz but Grbac is taking his "business comments" to an extreme. He's going beyond talking up Baltimore to actually bad mouthing KC, the team, and the fans. See the other thread here talking about how he "made Tony G better" blah, blah, blah for an example.

I don't blame him for leaving either, but he's not being very gracious about it. I tried to cut the guy some slack but after reading his comments, I share Joe's feeling exactly. F' him big time and I hope he fails miserably in Baltimore.

[Edited by gh4chiefs on 03-13-2001 at 09:06 AM]

47mack
03-13-2001, 08:02 AM
Originally posted by kcred
I still wish we had him, and hope he does well in Baltimore, except, of course, if we meet in the playoffs.

I wouldn't mind playing him in the playoffs, especially if it is a close game and comes down to a final 2 minute drive by Grbac....I'd say we would be pretty safe. Chances are, we might even get an inteception thrown right to us.

Baby Lee
03-13-2001, 08:11 AM
he screwed KC by waiting until the last minute and now they are left in a bind.

According to DV. . . Remember, in that article DV says on one hand it was a complete blindside and on the other that he knew about it for over two weeks. I am a little cynical about the poor wounded party angle. This huge albatross of a roster bonus is hanging over everything and the Chiefs are doing nothing to initiate talks with him? They're doing nothing to mask their wistful glances at the 'cute' backup Qb from the news coaches' former team? DV no more wanted to keep Elvis than he wanted to meet with Doug 'the stopgap' Flutie.

Iowanian
03-13-2001, 08:12 AM
I've tried to support the Chiefs QB who happened to be the Elvi....he was actually growing on me to the point the even after the initial cussing rampages he induced with stupid 2 minute drill decisions, I'd cheer him the next series....

BUT!!!! It is very much like a Girlfriend who told me to buy concert tickets for July, and 2 weeks after I get them, she starts screwing a kid from the next town....then she becomes know as "THE RUTT", the HO etc.....

I don't really blame Elvis for leaving..but I have a problem with the way he left...now I hope stubbs his pinky finger twice a year.

F@** Elvis and the Horse he left town on.

58Forever
03-13-2001, 08:20 AM
I think Mr. Grbac did owe this team his loyalty...If I'm not mistaken, wasn't CP and the Marty at the time who stuck with the stupid son of a Grbac when almost everyone and their mothers wanted Gannon?...The fans booed him...the players didn't respect him...if he would have kept his mouth shut and not made stupid comments all that may have been different too...

He wanted to play in a Championship...and I guess the other 1000 plus players in the NFL don't?...business decision?...no, not in this case...he got a better contract offer from us than from the Ravens...this was personal...he didn't feel like he was wanted here anymore...no one liked him...whatever...

After looking at his stupid face at his press conference in Balt....and listening and reading his comments and then after reading the details of his contract I've come to the conclusing that Grbac is as stupid as everyone, including the Mayor of SF, says he is...

He can kiss my lily white Grbac.....

I hope he fails miserably and that the Ravens go down the tube with him...next year he'll be looking for a job instead of starting for the Chiefs...

Am I bitter, you bet...but the way things are going, we may be better off...

Baby Lee
03-13-2001, 08:26 AM
wasn't CP and the Marty at the time who stuck with the stupid son of a Grbac when almost everyone and their mothers wanted Gannon?

Marty is not here. Dick "I heart everything Rams" Vermeil is.

He wanted to play in a Championship...and I guess the other 1000 plus players in the NFL don't?...
No, they just don't get contract offers from the SB winners. Man, I am as big a homer as anybody, but if you have any delusion of the Chiefs and Ravens having comparable chances at a Championship in the near future, Well. . . [loss for words]

[Edited by JC-Johnny on 03-13-2001 at 09:29 AM]

MrBlond
03-13-2001, 08:29 AM
I certainly don't condone treating his family badly. But for the rest, I don't feel sorry for him one bit. QBs get booed every day. QBs are second guessed and their back-ups lauded every day. Fans in SF called for the replacement of Joe F'n Montanta. I could care less if Grbac bashes KC or the fans. IMO, it is undisputable that Grbac was a mediocre QB. Pointing fingers in the locker room, bonehead plays on the field, outragous contract demands, questionable injuries, no playoff victories, 4000 yards. If not for the gaudy stats, Elvis would not even be mediocre.

Baby Lee
03-13-2001, 08:32 AM
And don't downplay the impact of his wife's experience on his decision. I seem to recall another Chiefs Qb whose decision to "hang 'em' up" was said to be strongly influenced by his wife's dissatisfaction with KC life.

58Forever
03-13-2001, 08:36 AM
JC, of course I don't think our chances of getting to the SB are better then the RAvens...but just think, if Grbac can lead the Ravens back to the SB...what he could have done for us...I mean...if he knew how to win so well, he could have singlehandly brought us back into contention and to the SB...

In this instance I'm going to go the way of Gaz...Grbac is no longer a Chief, therefore he no longer mattters....case closed...I'm tired of getting mad at someone or something I have no control over...

Still hope he fails miserably...no, I take that back...in the true sense of support...I hope he succeeds...then, at least all my Grbacking while he was here will in someway be justified....

gh4chiefs
03-13-2001, 08:39 AM
That's okay Joe, I've got enough venom for the both of us for this motherGbracking son-of-a-Grbac.

Phobia
03-13-2001, 09:15 AM
I didn't harbour any ill will towards Elvis when he decided to leave. I didn't even care when he apparently only paid lip service to wanting to resign w/ KC when he really didn't. I can't blame him for wanting out. He wasn't exactly embraced as a superstar in KC.

What I had a problem with was his cavalier attitude in the interviews. "I bring leadership" - "I made Gonzalez an AllPro" - "I'm going to take this team to a new level" - "I know what it takes to win a championship"

WTF?!?

Was he holding back while on Lamar's payroll?

BIG_DADDY
03-13-2001, 09:34 AM
Phobia,

I certainly will not miss his stupid comments. I think it goes futher than that though. He was always saying stupid things to alienate his team. The first to point the finger and the first to take credit. SOME LEADER. He will do the same thing for the Ravens. I for one hope he fails. He is totally set up to dominate the league though. That defence will put the ball in his hands for a great majority of the game. The expectation is that he is the man to take them back so if he doesn't the backlash from the Ravens fans should provide some great entertainment at the very least. I for one hope he fails as I NEVER liked Guh rrbac. If anyone can throw away the big one, he's the man.

Clint in Wichita
03-13-2001, 09:44 AM
JC Johnny,

Are you saying Grbac is a whore?

I am.

KCTitus
03-13-2001, 09:46 AM
I saw the topic like this on the 'other' BB and didnt respond because the Author's intent was not to discuss it but to play the tired game of 'I told you so'.

In any event, the question is legitimate for those who have suddenly turned to 'grbasher'.

I like others are ambivilent to the issue at this point. The only reason I ever defended Elvis in the first place was because the criticisms that were leveled upon him during the last couple of seasons were not really criticisms of his play but the result of an ongoing grudge from the 1997 playoffs.

He has matured and he has improved, but it remains to be seen whether or not his play will continue at last years level or fall backwards. I know that most of those that have a lot of personal stock invested in Elvis' failure sure hope so, but now that he's gone, it really doesnt matter to me.

You cannot hate the guy for moving on, and quite frankly, like Gaz said, you'd have to be silly to think that he wouldnt leave for a team/city that might support him and escape the Gannon baggage of now 5 years ago if given the chance.

[Edited by KCTitus on 03-13-2001 at 10:49 AM]

Gaz
03-13-2001, 10:10 AM
Clint-

All professional athletes are whores.

xoxo~
gaz
may have to break the news about the Easter Bunny.

gh4chiefs
03-13-2001, 10:21 AM
I think Kphobia summed up my feelings on this issue the best. I just have a problem with the guy who hasn't won dick in KC, running him mouth about great he is.

I would think, that the Ravens players who actually played in, and won a SB, wouldn't think too much of his comments about "taking them to a new level." If I were them, I would be thinking "Who does this ******* think he is?"

[Edited by gh4chiefs on 03-13-2001 at 11:31 AM]