PDA

View Full Version : Defense anybody?

JaggedEdge
03-13-2001, 08:17 PM
Trying to change the subject from quaterback a bit.

Is it possible that Norris McCleary(6'4" 305lbs)or Derrick Ransom(6'3" 310 lbs) may turn out to be useful someday, considering the success that Eric Hicks showed us this year?
I know some people are in a panic to draft/find a DT to replace Chester, but there may be another Eric Hicks on the roster that we won't know about till next year.Lets hope there is.

Cannibal
03-13-2001, 08:45 PM
I like Derrick Ransom and I'd like to see him get more of an opportunity.

Everytime I saw him in there he seemed to have a mean streak.

Clint in Wichita
03-13-2001, 08:52 PM
Browning outplayed Glock at DT last year, IMO.

He and Williams will be an effective duo, if healthy.

Mark M
03-14-2001, 07:16 AM
IMO, Browning is very underrated. He plays both the run and the pass solidly, and occastionally comes up with the big play (and all for about 1/5th the price of Chester). The only knock on him is that he did go through surgery and isn't the youngest guy ... I'd like to see the Chiefs pick up a DT in the 3rd round just for a bit of youth to groom.

He and Ransom, along with Williams if he returns to his '98 (?) form, should do very well in the middle.

MM
~~Would rather have 3 decent DT's for the price of 1 Chester.

milkman
03-14-2001, 08:23 AM
Browning is only 26 or 27 isn't he? I personally think he'll be even better his season than last. '00 was his first season at DT. He'd been a DE prior. With a season under his belt at the new postion, improvement could be a reasonable expectation.

shakesthecat
03-14-2001, 08:31 AM
I wouldn't be suprised at all if Ransom became this years Hicks. You'd have to believe he sees the opportunity before him.

Mark M
03-14-2001, 11:41 AM
Browning will be 28 this September.

As long as he stays healthy and affordable, he should be with us for at least 4-5 more years.

MM
~~Did some research ... proved himself wrong ... able to admit it.

Gaz
03-14-2001, 01:50 PM
"Browning" and "healthy" are words that never went together until this season. Until last year, Browning was the king of IR.

We need a DT and we need him with the #12 pick. With that pick we could get Richard Seymour or Damione Lewis or Marcus Stroud.

xoxo~
gaz
picturing a revived DL in R&G.

One Arrowhead Dave
03-14-2001, 02:16 PM
FYI-
LE
98 Eric Hicks
93 John Browning
55 Gary Stills
96 Tyrone Williams

LT
90 Steve Martin
95 Derrick Ransom
71 Norris McCleary

RT
92 Dan Williams
93 John Browning
90 Steve Martin
71 Norris McCleary

RE
99 Duane Clemons
93 John Browning
96 Tyrone Williams

This is the KCCHIEFS.com DL depth chart.....It has Dan Stryzinski listed as the punter so this appears to be current.
IMO,(and I've posted it before) drafting a DT in the 1st would suit me fine. I can see it now... More push up the middle...the QB fades to one side to escape the heat..... HELLO MR.HICKS

Mark M
03-14-2001, 02:38 PM
Gaz--
LOL! Very, very true. I just hope the guy shakes that. He is a solid player and a genuinely nice guy (the Mrs. met him and got his autograph for me). Besides, he can play almost anywhere along the line.

I just hope that we do draft some kind of DT this year to help our piss-poor rushing D, and, like Best-in-West pointed out, to drive the QB into Hicks or Clemons. I'd also like to see them get another LB to help with the blitz/covering the RBs out of the backfield (the Faiders killed us with those plays last year).

MM
~~Loves talking D.

ct
03-14-2001, 02:50 PM
Only a matter of time before Gaz began clammoring for his annual QB-CRUSHER!!! :D

Gaz
03-14-2001, 02:59 PM
coryt-

I've been clamoring, dude. It was just drowned out by the Green debate.

xoxo~
gaz
consistent and dependable; shoulda been a car.

ct
03-14-2001, 03:04 PM
I know I can ALWAYS count on you, Gaz, to represent the defensive Homers till the bitter end!!

I've been out for quite awhile, have hardly even visited the planet for a month or two.

ct

Clint in Wichita
03-14-2001, 03:10 PM
The Chiefs had 48 sacks last year, if I'm not mistaken. That's only 4 fewer than in 1997. IMO what the defense needs are some speedsters that can tackle in the open field...a couple more Mazlowskis would be nice.

Peterson should avoid Stroud like the plague. He supposedly has a questionable work ethic and desire.

Can you say McGlockton Jr.?

Gaz
03-14-2001, 03:15 PM
What the Chiefs need is a run-stuffing DT. If the RBs stack up at the front of the draft it is quite possible that Richard Seymour could fall to #12. As much as I like Dan Morgan, I would snatch Seymour in a heartbeat at #12. I also like the idea of Kirkland in R&G at the right price.

xoxo~
gaz
whetting his appetite for stuffing and crushing.

ct
03-14-2001, 03:21 PM
I've been privately crossing my fingers we'll make the trade for TGreen, effectively tossing aside all hopes of drafting immediate playmakers. My only reason being, KC would then look to FA for playmakers, since we no longer need to hold cap space for any 1st, 2nd or 3rd round draftees. My #1 choice is Jamie Sharper. Perhaps even Cortez Kennedy, although I hesitate on this guy(similar to Clint's Glock Jr. comment, this would be Glock 2).

Doesn't look like Sharper is goin anywhere, and Kirkland would come much cheaper anyway. Trading youth for $$ in this case.

ct

htismaqe
03-14-2001, 03:24 PM
Clint,

I totally agree.

We need tacklers...we need to stop the run. And the word on Stroud is that he's lazy. We'd draft him and he'd end up living at Gates like old Chester, "the buffet molester"

shakesthecat
03-14-2001, 03:35 PM
Clint,
I'm sure Maz would be flattered to know someone considers him a speedster.

The thought of Maz, Edwards, and Kirkland, roaming around looking to abuse RB's, put's me in my happy place.

That, and cold beer.

Clint in Wichita
03-14-2001, 06:37 PM
I don't think Maz runs a great 40, but maybe it's because he knows WHERE to run...he seems to be all over the field. I loved the several times he pulled down RBs from behind. I have yet to see him miss a tackle.