PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Boulevard

Archie F. Swin
03-14-2001, 08:55 PM
Next time I'm in Oklahoma City I may check out this package store that claims to stock Boulevard Beer.

Some of my fav mass-produced beers include: Fosters, Sam Adams, Amber Bock and Molson.

Any Suggestions? Would it be worth the trip?

Herzig
03-14-2001, 09:09 PM
CRP,
Im a big fan of Boulevard Wheat, Paul Laner Hefe Weizen, Sam Adams, Corona, and of course the microbrews of the good old local Ozark Brew Pub here in Fayetteville.

keg in kc
03-14-2001, 11:12 PM
I love the Boulevard Unfiltered Wheat. Gooooooood stuff.

It's my favorite beer if I'm going for "mass consumption" if you get my drift...

'course I basically drink a Guiness a day, so my tastes in beer don't exactly run the norm for your 27 year-old American male...

I've frequented the Ozark Brew Pub in Fayetteville a few times, too, Greg, but it's been a few years. Loved that place.

47mack
03-15-2001, 05:13 AM
Unfiltered Wheate is by far my favorite also. I just tried the seasonal Irish beer over the pastweekendand it was great. I am a huge fan of Boulevard Beer. Unfortunately, we don't get it in Texas, but my mom stocks up on Pale Ale in Missouri when my brother-in-law and I fly back. Last time I was in KC visiting friends we took a tour of the brewery. It is well worth the time, and it is free.

Herzig
03-15-2001, 06:16 AM
Cool Kyle..

So, did you used to live around here or what? Im originally from KC, but I have lived in Arkansas since 84'. My favorites at the Pub are Weizen and Six in Hand Stout..

Go Razorbacks...beat Georgetown!!

[Edited by Greg Herzig on 03-15-2001 at 07:19 AM]

Archie F. Swin
03-15-2001, 06:23 AM
47mack,

Living in Houston I doubt you get by OKC too often . . . I live on the Red River (in Texas) and the closest Boulevard distributor is only 140 miles away.

Thanx for the advice . . . I never would have considered the unfiltered wheat . . . I hope they have it in OKC.

Cheers!

[Edited by Chief Red Pants on 03-15-2001 at 07:38 AM]

Mark M
03-15-2001, 06:42 AM
The unfiltered wheat is very tasty. But I highly recommend the Bully Porter and their Tenpenny Ale as well.

Actually, they're all great!

MM
~~Believes life is too short to drink cheap beer.

Bob Dole
03-15-2001, 06:43 AM
Bob Dole gets one case of Boulevard Wheat each month from a Texarkana store that orders it for Bob Dole. It's Bob Dole's "have a beer with dinner" beer.

47mack
03-15-2001, 06:48 AM
CRP

Actually, I visit OKC quite often. My sister and brother-in-law live there. For some reason, I think you can only get unfiltered wheat on tap. I may be wrong, but during the tour they said that one of the beers was on tap only.....I could've swore that was it.

Archie F. Swin
03-15-2001, 07:11 AM

I think its the Stout that's available only in draught. The rest are bottled last time I checked.

47mack
03-15-2001, 07:24 AM
Robert_Dole

Is that ordered illegally????

KUChief
03-15-2001, 07:58 AM
IMO, the Boulevard Irish Ale is the best beer that they make although it is only seasonal. I also really like the Bully Porter, Pale Ale, and Stout (only available on tap).

If any of you are ever around the Lawrence Kansas area, you MUST stop into the Free State Brewery (www.freestatebrewing.com). It is the finest micro-brewery that I have ever encountered and I check out as many as I can when I travel. They always have 5-7 different beers (some seasonal, some regulars) and their food is excellect.

Lightning Rod
03-15-2001, 08:25 AM
Pale Ale and their porter. For a mass production beer Pete’s Wicked is about my favorite. Of course my all time favorite is FREE BEER.

KC Jones
03-15-2001, 08:29 AM
Boulevard's Irish Ale is my second favorite all time beer. It's awesome. The only other beer I'd rate above it isn't an every day beer so it's grasp on #1 is tenuous. It's Free State's 'Lemongrass Rye' brewed in the summers only. Simply the crispest most refreshing beer for a summer day I've ever come across and utterly unique. Everytime the wife and I have travelled we try local brew pubs, we came across one in Oregon that was close to Free State in terms of quality and ingenuity. Most of the time we usually end up saying "this is good, but it's no Free State".

I like the Boulevard unfiltered wheat, but it doesn't agree with my digestive tract. Their Bob's 47 christmas ale is awfully good too.

mmmm... I think I'll be making a beer run tonight.

KUChief
03-15-2001, 08:31 AM
RCGChief,

Have you ever tried Spanish Peaks Black Dog (regular) Ale? This beer is not to be confused with Coors-produced Red Dog. I too like Pete's Wicked, but I like the Black Dog Ale better. You should give it a try if you can find it.

Lightning Rod
03-15-2001, 08:41 AM
KU,
I’ll give it a try. I have a Barley’s Brewhaus mighty close to where I live, they probably have it. I have been meaning to get down to Free State for a long long, time I just haven’t made it yet.

KUChief
03-15-2001, 08:46 AM
KC Jones,

I hear you about the Free State Brewery, we also use the phrase "this is good, but it's no Free State" when we try other micro-breweries. I still live in Lawrence and I pick up a to-go jug of Ad Astra Ale or lately Oatmeal Stout at least once a week and eat there about about once a week. My wife calls it "barley therapy" and it is good for marriages.

keg in kc
03-15-2001, 09:07 AM
Greg,

I had a sister who lived for a short time in Fayetteville, so I took a couple of road trips from school in Virginia to see her. We frequented the Ozark Brewery while we were there... ;)

Been probably 5 or 6 years, since it was a while back but I was able to legally drink (I'm 27 now...).

Bob Dole
03-15-2001, 10:16 AM
47mack,

If it's ordered illegally, Bob Dole doesn't know about it. (Though at the price the guy charges for the case, it might be...)

Mark M
03-15-2001, 10:42 AM
Okay ... I'm thirsty.

KU--
Black Dog (if it's the one I'm thinking of) makes a damn fine Rasberry beer. Not too bad for an inexpensive beer.

For summers, try either Pete's Summer Brew (nice lemon zesty to it ... very refreshing) or Fat Tire (goes down nice and easy).

MM
~~Is it beer-thirty yet?

47mack
03-15-2001, 10:58 AM
Dole

I need to hook up with that guy. When I took the tour the guy named the 7 states they are licenced to sell in. Texas wasn't on the list. He said if you find it elsewhere he is happy, but doesn't want to know about it. That is my reason for asking.

KUChief
03-15-2001, 12:15 PM
Mark,

Yes Black Dog has several beers (honey-rasberry ale included), but I like the stock Black Dog Ale. It is very similar to Pete's Wicked Ale, but has a little more malt. It is the best inexpensive beer (that I will drink) that I have found (about $4.50 a six pack).