PDA

View Full Version : Oklahoma Sooners' workout-TMarshall impressive, Heupel mixed reviews

One Arrowhead Dave
03-15-2001, 12:46 PM
FYI- a little football news from Oklahoma's workout for Vermeil and others.

http://www.oklahoman.com/cgi-bin/show_article?ID=652731&pic=none&TP=getsports

oleman47
03-15-2001, 03:43 PM
I have mixed feelings for I didn't want him to look too good so he would be a cheap pick and yet wanted him to look good enough to draft. Hard to tell until the draft.

ChiefsFanatic
03-15-2001, 03:55 PM
Marshall ran a low 4.4. Outstanding. I really wanted to steal him in maybe the 3rd round. I knew 3rd would be a stretch, but now stealing him in the second would be a stretch. And since we don't have a second, not only is it a stretch, but not possible.

Marshall and Edwards would be a speedy pair of 'backers. I know this will probably get me ridiculed, but I watched Morgan about 3 times and Marshall about 5 times this year, and I always thought Marshall was more talented and made bigger plays.

One Arrowhead Dave
03-15-2001, 04:01 PM
FWIW here is another link concerning the Sooners' workout....More specifics regarding Heupel in this one.

http://data3.soonerinsider.com/cgi-bin/FrontPageList.cgi?section=football&rec=527

oleman47
03-15-2001, 04:47 PM
I pooh poohed OU last year and their sissy football. Since I was going broke I started watching a little more closely--as much as you can on TV which many times gives no view of the passing patterns-- and figured out that Heupel is special and got my money back. Since then viewing some tapes he looked more special than I thought.

KCJohnny
03-15-2001, 06:31 PM
Chiefsfanatic,
I TOTALLY agree with you.
Marshall is another Seau. KC should jump on this guy now to help their suspect D. What a player!
KCJ

ChiefsFanatic
03-15-2001, 07:58 PM
KCJohnny,

I think Marshall would be like another Derrick Brooks or a Sharper, only a better run stopper.

But, I have resigned myself to fact that Peterson is lost in this Green for QB void. Garner will slip away, and we will lose our number 12. Now that they say the trade may not take place until draft day, Holmes will probably even be gone. Not that I want Holmes, cause I don't, it is just frustrating watching other teams identify needs and then FILL them.

KCJohnny
03-15-2001, 11:22 PM
I know, I just saw the sickening story on CNNSI that the Green deal is still alive.
1. Draft Marshall
2. Sign Cunningham/Banks/Aikman to back up Collins/Heupel/McMahon
3. Start T-Rich at RN & sign/draft a FB (Ron Janes?)
4. Take a SERIOUS look at Brohms/Druckenmiller (XFL) as possible QBs
5. Continue to strengthen secondary/OL with low-risk FAs.
KCJ
Sees a winning season as a possiblity in spite of DeeVee and Alice

milkman
03-17-2001, 06:56 AM
Early in the offseason, before all this crap with Green, I was suggesting the possibility of a tradedown in the first round and to add a couple additional picks. In my plan, we'd use that later #1 to draft Marshall.
With Marshall in R&G, my plan further included moving Donnie Edwards to WSLB, and converting Marshall to SSLB, with Maz in the middle. My feeling was that Marshall's speed made him a better OLB possibility than Maz, and his size suited the strong side better than Donnie.
With Maz and Marshall, it would free up Donnie to use his quickness much the same as DT did.
I've always felt that Edwards has been out of position as long as he's been with the Chiefs.
BTW, someone told me that Marshall was to slow to be anything but a MLB. Wish I could remember who that was.

oleman47
03-17-2001, 11:37 AM
Milkman

You bring up a point. I do nothing but watch football and basketball. I have done this for fifty plus years. What I see on TV I find is often pooh poohed by those who "know". Most often when all is said and done what everyone sees on TV as good or bad, turns out to be true and not what those who "know". Marshall we see running all over the place. Yet he was slow. Ok. The other guys are so slow that it made him look fast. OOPS. Wrong. Fastest linebacker in decades.

tommykat
03-17-2001, 12:06 PM
Oleman 47...
I was just reading about Heupel and the deal with his foot. Apparently it is worse than he is letting on. What happened with his foot? Haven't been into college football very much.
Kathy

milkman
03-17-2001, 12:23 PM
Nap,
Most people who "know" are generally east coast media, therefore east coast baised.
I've said before that I believe that Marshall is going to be a better pick than Morgan. His size combined with his speed and athleticism will lead him to Seau type domination.

oleman47
03-17-2001, 01:50 PM
Know nothing about Heupel's foot. He had a "bad" arm when he beat Kstate, Neb, and FSU.