PDA

View Full Version : Has the annual Big Ten swoon begun?

oleman47
03-15-2001, 01:29 PM
Who gets the most picks and earliest losers, you guessed it.

oleman47
03-15-2001, 01:40 PM
Wisconsin and Ohio State already toast.

58Forever
03-15-2001, 02:06 PM
And Iowa is losing...still early though....

ROYC75
03-15-2001, 02:11 PM
Did the Badgers get badgered ? I love it when a plan come together !

BTW...Yes I realise that I'm sett'n myself up for the same treatment ! "I CAN'T HELP MYSELF " !

ChiTown
03-15-2001, 02:44 PM
Usually, it's Indiana getting the early exit (sorry Wolfman), but they still have their opportunity this evening against Kent State. The highly overrated Badgers and Buckeyes beat IU to the punch by getting tossed by the 11th and 12th seeds respectively. Typical of the Big 10. However, I will say that the Big 10's upper tiered teams have performed well in recent years and you have to give them props for their performances. I thought it was a joke that they sent 7 teams to the Tourney in the first place, but there's nothing like proof to ease the burden of your speculation. Penn State will lose to a very good Providence team tomorrow.

ChiTown
~waiting for Iowa to lose to to Creighton and Indiana to follow suit with #13 seeded Kent State. And then there were 2......

shakesthecat
03-15-2001, 03:48 PM
WOW! Iowa, down 10 in the second half, win by 13.

Bring on the Mildcats!

Unfortunately, Brody Boyd may be out with a knee.
Calling Dr. Recker......

ChiTown
03-15-2001, 04:08 PM
I was a bit premature to speak of Iowa's demise. They have been on a big time roll lately. They can be a tough matchup when they are hitting the jumper. The Hawks were off with their shot most of the Creighton game, which kept it close until the last 5 minutes.

Congrats Hawk fans & Good luck!

htismaqe
03-15-2001, 04:11 PM
Fortunately, the Hawks don't suffer from the early round blah's that often catch other Big Ten teams offguard. I've been watching Hawkeye basketball since 1980 and I'm struggling to think of any time they were really "upset".

Mi_chief_fan
03-15-2001, 04:12 PM
Ahhhhhh, the jealosy. Of course the Big ten will lose a few. Heck, when nearly 1/8 of the bracket is comprised of the big 10, they will lose some.

The Maryland game is starting to worry me, though.........

ChiefsFanatic
03-15-2001, 04:26 PM
Tell me Richmond wuoldn't have been a better choice than the 7th Big 11 team.

Phobia
03-15-2001, 04:59 PM
There wouldn't have been 7 Big Ten teams if Iowa hadn't won the championship.

Richmond probably has a good BB team. However, they didn't meet the selection committee's criteria. It happens every year and has happened to Iowa in the past. That's what the consolation NIT tournament is for. Personally, I think the NIT championship game participants would be better candidates for 15 & 16th seeds than the current jokers....

Mi_chief_fan
03-15-2001, 05:12 PM
Would Utah St. & Georgia St. fall under the category of 'jokers'? ;)

Phobia
03-15-2001, 05:25 PM
I thought my 15th & 16th seed description was adequate for what I consider to be "jokers".

I don't think either of those teams are jokers. In fact, I believe USU has a VERY good ball team. I think I picked them to win in my bracket. I don't think GSU is too bad either. Clearly, OSU & Wisconsin trailed off at the end of the year. Expect Penn State to make an early exit as well.

keg in kc
03-15-2001, 05:30 PM
Anyone should have been able to see that GSU upset coming. It couldn't have been scripted better. 'course maybe I pay more attention to "Lefty" because he "coached" (didn't do much coaching...) at my old alma-mater in Virginia before going to Georgia State.

I don't think anyone should be surprised that the "Lefty" vs. Maryland game came to fruition...

redhed
03-15-2001, 06:07 PM
criminy, 7 teams in?
Already 2 gone from zee petite 10(11?).
Good seeds losin' to not so good seeds.... not too nice.

lil' 10 = 1 fer 3

RJ
03-15-2001, 06:15 PM
My Terrapins are trying to drive me to an early grave. They probably should have lost today, but hopefully they'll respond the way Florida did last year after beating Butler on a last second shot in a 1st round game. They pulled themselves together after that and made it to the Final Four.

Keg, Lefty always gets that knock about not doing much coaching, but I have to disagree. I've been a fan of his since 1970 and watched him pull off some great upsets with brilliant tactics, particularly at the end of games. He was a master at coming up with unusual wrinkles that the opponents didn't see coming. It'll be hard rooting against him Saturday.

keg in kc
03-15-2001, 06:27 PM
I went to James Madison and watched Lefty coach live and in person for 5 years in the 90's.

We had as much (or more) talent as anyone in our conference (Colonial) for the entire time I was in college. We were consistently bridesmaids or also-rans, and basically ran playground-esque 5 man one-on-one for our offensive sets for my entire time there (it's gotten worse since, though, they hired a coach basically because of his race, and despite his long losing record as a coach at a smaller school...). There were a couple of shining moments, including one NCAA bid and a near upset of an elite eight Florida team in the first round, but for the most part he did nothing for the team beyond bringing in sponsorship.

It was kind of a shame, and most of the students (at least those who paid attention to the b-ball team) were disappointed and didn't raise much of a fuss over his leaving. Maybe there were other factors involved, who knows...

It's nice to see Lefty doing well, I just wish he'd put in the effort when he coached the Dukes (that was our mascot, such as it is - a regal bulldog).

RJ
03-15-2001, 06:58 PM
As I recall, though, JM became a better team almost immediately upon Lefty's arrival. There was a kid named Steve Hood who transferred there from Md. to follow Lefty and was one of the top scorers in the country. And if memory serves, they stayed respectable to good the whole time he was there.

He always got stuck with the label of being just a good recruiter, which always seemed unfair. I mean, he was a good recruiter, getting truly blue chip guys like John Lucas, Albert King, Adrian Branch, Len Bias and even had Moses Malone signed before he turned pro instead. But it's a shame that his recruiting abilities overshadowed all the victories he coached his teams to. He probably didn't coach as hard after his Md. days though. The man is no spring chicken.

KCWolfman
03-15-2001, 09:07 PM
Hmmm, annual swoon....

Well let's hope they also do their annual cakewalk to own half of the Final Four and annual dance to the trophy once again.

While the Big 12 is still on course for one every 15 or 20 years......

keg in kc
03-15-2001, 09:11 PM
Pop goes Indiana's bubble.

Back to Lefty for a second. He did relatively good recruiting at JMU, we did field competitive teams, but I liken it to my experiences with the Chiefs over the last two years: you get your hopes up and think "this'll be the year!" and then they play the games...

Thud! back to reality...

You're absolutely right about the age part, and I think that was (and probably still is) a big factor.

We liked Lefty while he was there, but we always seemed to come up short, and like the QB in football, the coach gets the brunt of that, maybe unfairly.

KCWolfman
03-15-2001, 09:14 PM
Yup, another one for IU, but we did alright for an interim coach for the year.....

Next goal is to catch Steve and tell him to come home where he belongs.... See ya Iowa.

RJ
03-15-2001, 09:30 PM
Russ-
Do you think they'll dump Davis? I feel like the guy did a great job considering the nightmare he inherited. The Hoosiers had some pretty impressive wins in the regular season, went to the conference tournament final and got a 4 seed. They lost to a Kent St. team that didn't look half bad, from the little I saw. I'm not an Indiana fan and don't know the politics involved, but it looks to me like Davis did a good job as a first year coach.

bgilmore
03-15-2001, 09:38 PM
It's nice to see Indiana hasn't lost its touch without KNIGHT.

KCWolfman
03-15-2001, 10:01 PM
Rjintx - Yes, Davis did great, without a single Senior on the squad....

But the feeling at home is for Alford.

KCWolfman
03-15-2001, 10:04 PM
Rjintx - Think about it.... Davis does alright, but what happens the first year he is subpar???

However, bring home the guy that saved your butt in the second game of your championship year, and the state could forgive him a bad season or two.

KCWolfman
03-15-2001, 10:07 PM
OH MY GOD....

Listen to you big 12 baboons bash the Big 10 and look at Iowa State barely holding off Hampton and OK State may as well put on a sign that says "I am USC's Biotch for the evening" at 49-19.

PPPPLLllleeeeasssse.

KCWolfman
03-15-2001, 10:48 PM
Missouri squeaks one out (someone needs to remind Rush that a turnover under a minute with a three point lead is a bad thing)..... I guess they will have a second life until Duke punks them on Saturday.

oleman47
03-15-2001, 10:59 PM
Baylor should have gone rather than Ok-State but the tragedy and their courage in the aftermath was rewarded.

KCWolfman
03-15-2001, 11:21 PM
Donald <B><I> COUNT AGAIN!!!!</b></i>

Goodbye Cyclones

[Edited by KCWolfman on 03-15-2001 at 11:24 PM]

KCWolfman
03-15-2001, 11:22 PM
Well, I guess that hushes the Big12 crowd for the night....

Only the second loss by a second to a 15th in the history of the game.

Ouch! that is gonna leave a mark.

KCWolfman
03-15-2001, 11:23 PM
Redhead - What was that you said about good seeds again??

Pride goeth before the annual big12 purge.

RJ
03-15-2001, 11:28 PM
Thank you Hampton. What a great effort. My Terps chances to get past the Sweet 16 are looking real good.

shakesthecat
03-16-2001, 07:00 AM
Russ,
I think deep down, most Iowa fans realize that if there is one place Alford would leave Iowa for, it's Indiana.
Of course if he does leave, it's going to be "fargin war" everytime those teams play.

Oh well, we may as well get our moneys worth out of him and punk Kentucky.

ChiefsFanatic
03-16-2001, 07:16 AM
KCWolfman,

it is actually the 5th time a 15 has beat a 2

KCWolfman
03-16-2001, 07:33 AM
CF - I remember Coppin St. Who else was there?

Shakes - D'Accord.... Anybody kicking the evil empire that Rupp built gets my 100% support. The only thing worse than communism, nazis, serial killers, raiders, and old men who cut you off in traffic is the kentucky wildcats - a pox on Lexington.