PDA

View Full Version : The N Word

Fat Elvis
03-31-2007, 04:47 AM
The other night, Stephen Colbert asked one of his guests, Jabari Asim, who wrote The N Word: Who Can Say It, Who Shouldn't and Why , if the "N Word" has come to actually replace the very word it was meant to reference.

So I thought I'd ask the Planeteers thier opinions on the subject: When we say the "N Word" we all know what it means; since we know what original word that phrase references, has it, de facto, become-at least on some level- the offending word it was intending to reference? Does it allow us to pat ourselves on the back and say we aren't racist because we say "the N Word" instead of the original word?

Thoughts?

Guru
03-31-2007, 05:15 AM
What you have a problem with being called Nancy or something?

BigRedChief
03-31-2007, 06:56 AM
Because of the history of the "N Word" white people have lost the right to use the word. It's still hard for me to fathom an America just 40 years ago where the attitudes and laws that word represents existed.

African Americans/Black people because of their ancestory own that word. They are free to use it and or not use it. It's theirs to do with what they want.

But this is a voluntary social etiquette that we all should agree on not have legislatures passing laws to prohibit its use. We do have freedom of speech and I don't want that ever taken away. I just think that we should choose on our own free will to never use that word again.

chagrin
03-31-2007, 07:12 AM
Does it allow us to pat ourselves on the back and say we aren't racist because we say "the N Word" instead of the original word?
Thoughts?

Just to isolate this last part, yes, yes it does. It allows lefties to feel better about themselves, everyone else is just afraid to say it because of the problems it causes. Of course, it's not a word that should be said but what about wigga (except with the n on it)? Like if you're joking around with your "boys" as the kids say these days, why can't you say - yo what up wigga (again with the N on it)?
As a matter of fact, I say that all the time to my "boys" because I think it's a silly sounding word, and if ebonics and rap is all the rage, and the rappers and the society it represents demand so much respect for their lifestyle, we should be allowed to say it as well.
It's totally acceptable for whitey to say "what up pimp" "yo, what up homey"

So f*ck it, I say it anyway, fuggin stop me bitches - that's what I say, not on here though because I know Zach would ban me.
It's all ridiculous.

stevieray
03-31-2007, 07:27 AM
Either the word is right or wrong. I wonder what MLK would think.

If it can only be used by one race, then it appears his message hasn't reached it's full potential, because then you would be able to say it based on the color of your skin, rather than as a reflection of your character.

"funny how times have changed
but some of these cats frames remain the same"

Mile High Mania
03-31-2007, 07:27 AM
I just don't see the purpose in the word... why would you ever need to say it? Whether you're white, black, purple or green... there are so many other things to say.

JBucc
03-31-2007, 07:28 AM
Only all you old people have problems with it. People under say 25 or so that are into that hip hop culture say it without regards to race. It's become so common that it's lost most of it's bad meaning. But, you can still tell when someone wants it to be derogatory, just like when your buddy says "**** you" as a joke and when he says "**** YOU!" like he's really pissed at you.

Mile High Mania
03-31-2007, 07:35 AM
Only all you old people have problems with it. People under say 25 or so that are into that hip hop culture say it without regards to race. It's become so common that it's lost most of it's bad meaning. But, you can still tell when someone wants it to be derogatory, just like when your buddy says "**** you" as a joke and when he says "**** YOU!" like he's really pissed at you.

That's one of the more retarded things I've read. It's meshed into the young/hip hop culture, but that doesn't mean the word has lost it's meaning. It just means that the people throwing it around at will don't have a good grasp on why it is such a devisive word.

White kids say it b/c they think they're being cool. Reality, they're being retarded.... pick a new word, get creative.

JBucc
03-31-2007, 07:39 AM
That's one of the more retarded things I've read. It's meshed into the young/hip hop culture, but that doesn't mean the word has lost it's meaning. It just means that the people throwing it around at will don't have a good grasp on why it is such a devisive word.

White kids say it b/c they think they're being cool. Reality, they're being retarded.... pick a new word, get creative.I agree that they say it to be cool, but I disagree that they don't know why some people consider it offensive. They just don't consider it offensive.

Mile High Mania
03-31-2007, 07:42 AM
I agree that they say it to be cool, but I disagree that they don't know why some people consider it offensive. They just don't consider it offensive.

Weird. You've kinda said the same thing as I did. They don't consider it offensive b/c they don't understand why it's a devisive word. If they understood why this word is such a lightning rod for issues, then maybe they'd consider it offensive.

I was young once and across the board, young people are ignorant about many things. Just b/c the word is said a dozen times on every hip/hop album out there doesn't make it non-offensive.

Simplex3
03-31-2007, 07:45 AM
Because of the history of the "N Word" white people have lost the right to use the word. It's still hard for me to fathom an America just 40 years ago where the attitudes and laws that word represents existed.

African Americans/Black people because of their ancestory own that word. They are free to use it and or not use it. It's theirs to do with what they want.
Nice to see we still have resident racists.

Simplex3
03-31-2007, 07:47 AM
If it can only be used by one race, then it appears [MLK's] message hasn't reached it's full potential, because then you would be able to say it based on the color of your skin, rather than as a reflection of your character.
BINGO.

Not all racists are white.

JBucc
03-31-2007, 07:48 AM
Weird. You've kinda said the same thing as I did. They don't consider it offensive b/c they don't understand why it's a devisive word. If they understood why this word is such a lightning rod for issues, then maybe they'd consider it offensive.

I was young once and across the board, young people are ignorant about many things. Just b/c the word is said a dozen times on every hip/hop album out there doesn't make it non-offensive.I think it does. The F word is supposed to be a terrible thing to say, but eventually you hear it so much in movies or music and from your friends it doesn't mean much anymore. Once everyone agrees it's not offensive then it ceases to be offensive. Younger people don't find it offensive in everyday conversation because it's so common. Just like the F word.

Mile High Mania
03-31-2007, 07:48 AM
I don't think that one race "owns the word and can use it as they wish", that's kinda silly as well. I know that's a PC thing to say, but that isn't the answer in my opinion.

You can't make the word disappear and people are going to continue to use it. The only thing you can control is how you choose to treat the word, it doesn't exist for me... I don't have a reason to use it.

Simplex3
03-31-2007, 07:50 AM

White kids say it b/c they think they're being cool. Reality, they're being retarded.... pick a new word, get creative.
I disagree. Society re-brands words/things all the time.

Mile High Mania
03-31-2007, 07:52 AM
I think it does. The F word is supposed to be a terrible thing to say, but eventually you hear it so much in movies or music and from your friends it doesn't mean much anymore. Once everyone agrees it's not offensive then it ceases to be offensive. Younger people don't find it offensive in everyday conversation because it's so common. Just like the F word.

Well, the F Word doesn't have a history of being negatively used to describe a particular race. The F word (or any other word) are not the same as the N Word.

Rationalize it all you like, but using that word isn't the same as using other words... and you'll never (not 100 years from now) get everyone to agree that it is no longer offensive.

Mile High Mania
03-31-2007, 07:53 AM
I disagree. Society re-brands words/things all the time.

Well, good luck "re-branding" that word.

JBucc
03-31-2007, 07:56 AM
Well we'll just agree do disagree then. Peace out my n****s!:)

Mile High Mania
03-31-2007, 07:56 AM
Stupid cracker. Oh - if you don't think it's offensive, why type the *'s and refer to it as the N-word? Grow a set, type it out.

JBucc
03-31-2007, 07:57 AM
Stupid cracker.You Racist?

Mile High Mania
03-31-2007, 07:58 AM
You Racist?

Nah, that's just a word that me and my boys use from time to time.

JBucc
03-31-2007, 08:00 AM
Nah, that's just a word that me and my boys use from time to time.Well I find it offensive, and I don't really care what you and your boys think. So stop using it right now.

Mile High Mania
03-31-2007, 08:00 AM
Well I find it offensive, and I don't really care what you and your boys think. So stop using it right now.

You're just too young to grasp it...

Mile High Mania
03-31-2007, 08:05 AM
Back to the original question... whether you say the word or just call it the N-word, you're having the same effect. My question is... when do you actually use either?

You said "so when we say...", I don't use it and I'm not saying I'm better for not, I just don't use it. I'm wondering when in the day you're using either.

Are you telling a story and that's what you say to describe someone?

PunkinDrublic
03-31-2007, 08:09 AM
Just my opinion but I don't think anybody should be calling each other the N word. I don't see why anyone would embrace a term that was used to demean and dehumanize someone because of their race. It's even more ignorant when you see Asians and Hispanics calling each other the N word. There are a lot of black people who don't want to be called the N word by anybody including other black people. Not that I'm going to confront black people about it but it's just my personal opinion.

wutamess
03-31-2007, 08:10 AM
I went to Damon Wayans comedy show 2 weekends ago @ the Majestic.

He said the term came from Europe when upper class Europeans would call poor Europeans ******s.

Is there any truth to that?

boogblaster
03-31-2007, 08:15 AM
Everything situation is different...sometimes its the only word that fits ....

Mile High Mania
03-31-2007, 08:21 AM
Everything situation is different...sometimes its the only word that fits ....

Interesting.

Fairplay
03-31-2007, 08:21 AM
Black people can say the word and the under 25 crowd who are hip-hop cultured.

Anyone else who says this word is racist.

Mile High Mania
03-31-2007, 08:22 AM

Idiotic.

Mile High Mania
03-31-2007, 08:23 AM
I'm curious... are the replies in this thread coming from a bunch of white guys?

Fairplay
03-31-2007, 08:31 AM
Im being sarcastic mile high. Calm down.

Mile High Mania
03-31-2007, 08:33 AM
Im being sarcastic mile high. Calm down.

I figured as much, which is why I just typed "idiotic" and not "you're idiotic". :p

Fairplay
03-31-2007, 08:34 AM
I figured as much, which is why I just typed "idiotic" and not "you're idiotic". :p

Yeah, i figured you probably knew that.

Back to being sarcastic.....

Im white, unless i listen to Rap music, then im black.

Lzen
03-31-2007, 09:12 AM
I was playing hoops with my nephew and a few of his black friends last Summer. Now, I've played ball with these guys before and these boys are alright. But one of them has a mouth on him. He kept calling my nephew "ni..a". After about the 3rd or 4th time I asked him why he kept calling "ni..er." Oh man, talk about getting some boys pissed off. Honestly, I didn't understand the subtle difference. I still don't understand it, but I do realize they have a different meaning for young black people.

I told them straight up that I was not calling them that word. I would never call anybody that. It is derogatory to me and it should be to them, as well. I was simply asking why they continued calling my nephew that. It is idiotic to get pissed at a white person for saying it yet you use that same (or the hip hop variation).

vailpass
03-31-2007, 09:16 AM
****** please.

keg in kc
03-31-2007, 09:42 AM
In the context of the original question, saying "the N word" instead of, well, the N word, is pretty much like when people pretending at religion say "darn" or "dang" instead of "damn". Like it's some kind of magical loophole that lets you use the word without saying it. You're thinking the word, folks, is that really any better? You really believe you're gonna fool your God with coy wordplay?

In any case, however, that said, using the term "the N word" when you're involved in a conversation regarding the actual word of origin is pretty much the only way to reference the word without actually saying it.

ChiefFripp
03-31-2007, 09:47 AM
It's a funny word and I'm keeping it in the lexicon, it comes in handy in rare occasions. Ofcourse the best is being called "whiteboy" and then responding with "whatever blackboy or brownboy". Have to keep things equal afterall.

Oh and white people haven't lost the right to say any word. Just the idea of anyone losing the right to say anything is plain stupid .

crazycoffey
03-31-2007, 10:01 AM
In my opinion, it is just a word, while I understand the background, I certainly can't say I know how it feels. So out of respect for the past I won't say it (racial thoughts and actions are built on more than words anyway.)

I also agree that it should just be taken out of use from anyone, any color, and all varieties of the word. If it is frowned upon for me to say it when I don't have a problem being racist (meaning, I'm not racist) then where is my freedom, and what has happened to MLK's dream?

keg in kc
03-31-2007, 10:05 AM
Ofcourse the best is being called "whiteboy" and then responding with "whatever blackboy or brownboy". Have to keep things equal afterall.Ah, the good old "I'm going to be a racist dipshit because they're being racist dipshits" argument.

ChiefFripp
03-31-2007, 10:11 AM
Ah, the good old "I'm going to be a racist dipshit because they're being racist dipshits" argument.
Well the thing is you hear "whiteboy" being used everywhere from regular network television to your co-worker and it's not considered a racist remark. That's why I'm shocked (not at all for the sarcasm impaired), when people get offended with 'anyothercolor-boy'. I'm not racist but I find the modern day hypocrisy aimed at white men to be appalling and backwards thinking.

plbrdude
03-31-2007, 10:16 AM
all the girlies say i'm pretty fly for a white guy

keg in kc
03-31-2007, 10:21 AM
Well the thing is you hear "whiteboy" being used everywhere from regular network television to your co-worker and it's not considered a racist remark. That's why I'm shocked (not at all for the sarcasm impaired), when people get offended with 'anyothercolor-boy'. I'm not racist but I find the modern day hypocrisy aimed at white men to be appalling and backwards thinking.I don't disagree, but the way to offset that hypocrisy is not for white people (or any people, in fact...) to respond with the same kind of attitude. Be better than that and lead by example. Show that you don't approve of the behavior by refusing to participate in it. You may not have any control over what's written or acceptable for television, but you can try to teach the people around you to respect you by respecting them, and, hopefully in doing that, teach them to respect themselves and others around them in the process.

ChiefFripp
03-31-2007, 10:25 AM
I don't disagree, but the way to offset that hypocrisy is not for white people to respond with the same kind of attitude. Be better than that and lead by example. Show that you don't approve of the behavior by refusing to participate in it. You may not have any control over what's written or acceptable for television, but you can try to teach the people around you to respect you by respecting them, and, hopefully in doing that, teach them to respect themselves and others around them in the process.
Yeah you may have the moral highground there ,but your method takes too much time. I prefer right-back-atcha shock tactics. Some people will see where I'm coming from, most will cry "racist" before they even think.

Baconeater
03-31-2007, 10:28 AM
Well the thing is you hear "whiteboy" being used everywhere from regular network television to your co-worker and it's not considered a racist remark. That's why I'm shocked (not at all for the sarcasm impaired), when people get offended with 'anyothercolor-boy'. I'm not racist but I find the modern day hypocrisy aimed at white men to be appalling and backwards thinking.
HolmeZz should be along shortly to explain to you why there is no hypocrisy or double standard involved with the usage of the word.

keg in kc
03-31-2007, 10:30 AM
Yeah you may have the moral highground there ,but your method takes too much time. It took hundreds of years to get where we are. It'll be generations yet before racism is really exised from society, if it ever is. The fact that it's a difficult change to make, or one that will take time, or even one that may never take place in the end, isn't a reason to either give up or give in.

Mr. Flopnuts
03-31-2007, 12:00 PM

But this is a voluntary social etiquette that we all should agree on not have legislatures passing laws to prohibit its use. We do have freedom of speech and I don't want that ever taken away. I just think that we should choose on our own free will to never use that word again.

I just don't agree with this. I'm not going to take responsibility for my ancestors. When people die their bills aren't passed to their kids. Their bad habits, inhibitions, and ignorant ways of thinking shouldn't be either. I've never owned a human being. I've never whipped a man for not working to my standards. I've never partaken in any of the silliness of racism. That being said, if black people think they "own" the n word and that's satisfactory for their reparations then so be it. I don't use the word, if I did though I sure wouldn't feel guilty since the black community has made it such a mainstream thing. None of us get to have our cake and eat it too. I'll be damned if my ancestors actions are going to affect me any more negatively than they already do. If people don't want to hear the word. DON'T ****IN USE IT. PERIOD.

ChiefFripp
03-31-2007, 12:06 PM
I just don't agree with this. I'm not going to take responsibility for my ancestors. When people die their bills aren't passed to their kids. Their bad habits, inhibitions, and ignorant ways of thinking shouldn't be either. I've never owned a human being. I've never whipped a man for not working to my standards. I've never partaken in any of the silliness of racism. That being said, if black people think they "own" the n word and that's satisfactory for their reparations then so be it. I don't use the word, if I did though I sure wouldn't feel guilty since the black community has made it such a mainstream thing. None of us get to have our cake and eat it too. I'll be damned if my ancestors actions are going to affect me any more negatively than they already do. If people don't want to hear the word. DON'T ****IN USE IT. PERIOD.
Your ancestors most likely didn't own slaves. I'm pretty sure less than 5% of the population owned slaves at any given time in N.America. Most of the white population's ancestors worked in factories or farms and sure as hell didn't own them. Reparation of any kind is largely misguided.

Knob
03-31-2007, 12:09 PM
It all comes down to ignorant people. What side do you want to be on. Choose wisely.

Yours truely,

G-Unit. :rolleyes:

Sully
03-31-2007, 12:12 PM
In my opinion, if the word offends someone, then just don't use it. It's not that hard. It doesn't make my life any less bright to refrain from saying something that is so divisive and ugly.

Obviously there are judgment calls on whether someone is overreacting to the use of a given word, for instance, some people get their feelings hurt for years if you use the word "hate" toward something they do. Some people get uptight about the term ***-damn. Some folks just plain don't like bad grammar. Hell, my wife's grandmother can't stand the word butt.
But the point I'm making is, do we waste all this energy crying that we "can't" use a word that some find offensive, or do we just make the decision whether or not we want to be decent human beings and move on with our lives?

Pitt Gorilla
03-31-2007, 12:15 PM
I've never understood how one word can be bad and it's synonym can be fine. "Poo" versus "sh!t." "Making whoopie" (Chuck Woolery) versus f*cking.

ChiefFripp
03-31-2007, 12:17 PM
Well it comes down to an ugly word that shouldn't be used. But I would get more angry at the person saying someone didn't have the right to use it. Anyone has the right to use any word they want provided they are ready to face the consequences. This is America afterall.

Simplex3
03-31-2007, 12:34 PM

Ultra Peanut
03-31-2007, 12:38 PM
http://imgred.com/http://knifingaround.com/images/ohshitbears.jpg

Simplex3
03-31-2007, 12:39 PM
I know we've had this discussion. There is a list of groups that it's Ok to bash as a group:

1. Christians
2. White people
3. Men
4. Atheists
5. ...

I know I'm missing some in there somewhere.

Simplex3
03-31-2007, 12:43 PM
Your ancestors most likely didn't own slaves. I'm pretty sure less than 5% of the population owned slaves at any given time in N.America. Most of the white population's ancestors worked in factories or farms and sure as hell didn't own them. Reparation of any kind is largely misguided.
Don't forget the incredibly minute number of blacks in this country who have an ancestor that was a slave. Due to these two factors the whole "reparations" thing is a giant scam.

Simplex3
03-31-2007, 12:47 PM
It took hundreds of years to get where we are. It'll be generations yet before racism is really exised from society, if it ever is. The fact that it's a difficult change to make, or one that will take time, or even one that may never take place in the end, isn't a reason to either give up or give in.
The very people who make a living trying to extinguish racism are the very people that can't afford for it to ever go away. Anti-racism is HUGE business.

About a year ago one of the major CA papers had an article where some race pimps were bemoaning the fact that kids today don't talk about race and acknowledge race enough. See, I was always under the impression that was the GOAL. Guess not.

|Zach|
03-31-2007, 01:06 PM
Maybe its just me, I have never once been offended by someone making fun of white people. The whole thing seems a bit silly.

I do wish racism was as marginalized as much as a non issue as some on this thread seem to potray it.

Jayhawkerman2001
03-31-2007, 01:07 PM

yah, id have to agree with mile high mania on this one, what you said here is the dumbest shit i have ever heard. That word will never lose its meaning.

Simplex3
03-31-2007, 01:18 PM
Maybe its just me, I have never once been offended by someone making fun of white people. The whole thing seems a bit silly.

I do wish racism was as marginalized as much as a non issue as some on this thread seem to potray it.
Racism is as irrelevant as you want it to be. It's like like the stone soup, where if you think about a certain animal it won't work. The harder you try and ignore it the more it's there.

Mile High Mania
03-31-2007, 01:20 PM
The finality on this word for me is ... if you use it and you don't choose wisely when you use it and you have your ass handed to you in the process, then that's a life learning lesson for you.

Nobody owns the word... it's a free country, so sure you can use it as you wish. Just understand that b/c you don't think it's a big deal, someone else will.

The impact of the word is generally intended to have a negative impact on someone, so why use THAT word... call the person a stupid f*cking a$$clown and be on your way. There are so many other creative ways to describe someone...

And, if I offended any clowns or the asses of any clowns... my apologies.

vailpass
03-31-2007, 02:02 PM
Get over yourself. Can a ****** get a table dance!?

Mile High Mania
03-31-2007, 02:14 PM
Why all the asteriks?

vailpass
03-31-2007, 02:56 PM
Why all the asteriks?

Is it because I'm too ashamed to type what I really think?
Is it because deep down I feel the guilt of the dirty white man?
Or is it because the filter on this site inserts the asteriks for me?

Your killing me here man, climb off the horse.

Silock
03-31-2007, 03:15 PM
My thoughts on this subject can be summed up in this video.

What did MLK die for?
*Language Warning*
http://www.yikers.com/video_video_project_-_the_state_of_a_dream.html

Halfcan
03-31-2007, 03:30 PM
I for one am tired of the polical correct world-is it suppose to make up for how minorities and women were treated in this country for 300 years?

If you can't say ****** anymore or even say the "N-word"-which I agree with, I never say it anyway- all racist words should be banned from our language and society. It is not okay for some to say it and others can't. If you are stupid enough to call a African American the "N word" or any other racist words-you deserve the wrath that will fall on you.

Honkie
Cracker
whitie
Spic
fungi
whore
slut
faggot
queer
carpetmuncher
dike
blackie
cotton picker
beaner
chink
towlehead
sand******
trailortrash
white trash
porch monkey

ect ect....

Racist epitaphs are just an ignorant person lableing someone else with generic bias towards a whole culture.

If you ban one word you have to ban them all.

Halfcan
03-31-2007, 03:33 PM
The finality on this word for me is ... if you use it and you don't choose wisely when you use it and you have your ass handed to you in the process, then that's a life learning lesson for you.

Nobody owns the word... it's a free country, so sure you can use it as you wish. Just understand that b/c you don't think it's a big deal, someone else will.

The impact of the word is generally intended to have a negative impact on someone, so why use THAT word... call the person a stupid f*cking a$$clown and be on your way. There are so many other creative ways to describe someone...

And, if I offended any clowns or the asses of any clowns... my apologies.

I agree- but it is too easy for people to attact the color of someone skin. You would think the USA would be past all this stuff.

Raiderhater58
03-31-2007, 03:37 PM
The Irish were called "******s" long before any black man was.

Dr. Facebook Fever
03-31-2007, 03:43 PM
In high school I had a couple black friends... they were brothers actually... (literally I mean) and every time one of them would say or do something goofy we would say "***** please" and everyone including them would get a good laugh. Everyone knew there was nothing mean spirited meant by it. They called us "whitey" or white boy" all the time too and it was all fine. I wonder if we could still get away with that today. Those guys were real cool with that stuff but it's not something you'd want others hearing probably.

Simplex3
03-31-2007, 03:45 PM
The Irish were called "******s" long before any black man was.
Damnit, stop confusing the issue with facts.

luv
03-31-2007, 03:46 PM
porch monkey

"What can I get you my little porch monkey?"

"It's okay. I'm bringing it back."

Halfcan
03-31-2007, 03:52 PM
"What can I get you my little porch monkey?"

"It's okay. I'm bringing it back."

Classic- that movie rocks.

I say we retire all racist words-but to do that you would have to ban Rap also-which is a sacrifice I am willing to make. :)

Rap is full of racist words and violent language disrespecting women and that seems okay with society. But if the N word slips out of a white person- Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson will be knocking on your door with 200 reporters to make you apologize.

Lets not even get into the whole Jewish thing- look what it did to Mel Gibson-lol

Halfcan
03-31-2007, 03:53 PM
In high school I had a couple black friends... they were brothers actually... (literally I mean) and every time one of them would say or do something goofy we would say "***** please" and everyone including them would get a good laugh. Everyone knew there was nothing mean spirited meant by it. They called us "whitey" or white boy" all the time too and it was all fine. I wonder if we could still get away with that today. Those guys were real cool with that stuff but it's not something you'd want others hearing probably.

Trying calling a black guy "Boy" that you don't know-see how well that goes over- :)

That is as bad as the N word.

listopencil
03-31-2007, 06:46 PM
Tell you what-I don't like hearing the word and I don't use it. It's offensive to me and I'm "white". The only times I've had to ask people not to use it were in my own house. Outside of my house if I hear someone use that word I drop dead silent, give them a blank stare and walk away from them. It works pretty good. We pretend they never said it and it never gets repeated again around me by that person.

BTW, the two times I had to ask someone not to use it in my house were 1) a "black" friend of my oldest son and 2) a "black" friend of my wife's. They said that they didn't mean anything by it but didn't have a problem not using it.

listopencil
03-31-2007, 06:50 PM
Oh, I forgot. When I used to manage Taco Bells I fired one of my Shift Managers (I didn't promote him) for using it. He used it in a derogatory manner, directed towards a "black" fellow Shift Manager, in the middle of a shift, while I wasn't there.

Phobia
03-31-2007, 07:55 PM
Tell you what-I don't like hearing the word and I don't use it. It's offensive to me and I'm "white". The only times I've had to ask people not to use it were in my own house. Outside of my house if I hear someone use that word I drop dead silent, give them a blank stare and walk away from them. It works pretty good. We pretend they never said it and it never gets repeated again around me by that person.

That's how I feel about it. But I use a different technique. I just tell the offending person that I'd prefer they didn't use such an inappropriate word at all. I have a cousin I've had to correct more than once.

Fruit Ninja
03-31-2007, 08:01 PM
Word doesnt bother me at all. If someone says it, i really dont react either way. Its just a word, i dont care who uses it. I also know that if you say it at the wrong time, you may be in a bit of trouble. I grew up listening to rap, so i heard it alot. I guess i can say i am desensitized to the word? i dont know.

Anyways, doesn't bother me one bit. I try not to let anything someone says bother me.

ChiefFripp
03-31-2007, 08:09 PM
Word doesnt bother me at all. If someone says it, i really dont react either way. Its just a word, i dont care who uses it. I also know that if you say it at the wrong time, you may be in a bit of trouble. I grew up listening to rap, so i heard it alot. I guess i can say i am desensitized to the word? i dont know.

Anyways, doesn't bother me one bit. I try not to let anything someone says bother me.
Holy shiit, someone here actually grew some thick skin growing up!

Fruit Ninja
03-31-2007, 08:22 PM
Holy shiit, someone here actually grew some thick skin growing up!
well, i am a minority, and i am not white or black. So maybe that has something to do with it? i been called a wetback a few times. haha. Didnt bother me either.

Spott
03-31-2007, 08:25 PM
i been called a wetback a few times. haha. Didnt bother me either.

It only seems to bother certain Bronco fans on this board to be called that.

Fruit Ninja
03-31-2007, 08:27 PM
Well, i was born in Los Angeles, so i guess they were close. haha

chagrin
03-31-2007, 08:30 PM

You confuse me, then why is it perfectly fine to call a non-black person making fun of black people racist while not the other way around, unless I misunderstand your post - you are the most racist by stating such a thing. Remember dude, the definition of racsim is NOT "white people being mean to black people"

chagrin
03-31-2007, 08:32 PM
Damnit, stop confusing the issue with facts.

Get off my wave, dude

chagrin
03-31-2007, 08:33 PM
Get over yourself. Can a ****** get a table dance!?

Check it out, check it out whoo- shake that thing!

LMAO

|Zach|
03-31-2007, 08:50 PM
You confuse me, then why is it perfectly fine to call a non-black person making fun of black people racist while not the other way around, unless I misunderstand your post - you are the most racist by stating such a thing. Remember dude, the definition of racsim is NOT "white people being mean to black people"My post is very clear...it has never offended me personally...it seems it really offends you...I dont know what to tell you...I guess we all have our battles?

Its never offended me because it sounds so silly. I don't really know how to respond to things added to my post by you to make it more interesting for yourself.

The name calling angle of all of this is a complete bore to me and rather childish...like I should be up in arms about the word cracker. Other aspects of racism do concern me, especially in regards to the work place.

Ari Chi3fs
03-31-2007, 11:38 PM
Wow, no Michael Richards youTube tirade video post yet?

pr_capone
10-16-2007, 12:31 PM
only 2 for hispanics?

You are slacking Mr. Malboro Chief

POND_OF_RED
10-16-2007, 12:33 PM
Nigg3r is my favorite word in the dictionary. Followed by spic, kike, jew, sand nigg3r, dune coon, camel jockey, mick, wop, guinea, guido, gook, chink, nip, porch monkey, b3aner........am i forgetting one?
You really expect us to believe you own a dictionary?

Chief Faithful
10-16-2007, 12:34 PM

I thought "bean3r" was the magic word.

Chief Faithful
10-16-2007, 12:36 PM
Oh, I forgot. When I used to manage Taco Bells I fired one of my Shift Managers (I didn't promote him) for using it. He used it in a derogatory manner, directed towards a "black" fellow Shift Manager, in the middle of a shift, while I wasn't there.

So how did you find out if you weren't there?

pr_capone
10-16-2007, 12:37 PM
Wetback?

You really lack creativity, don't you?

lol

Surely you have something better than that.

Micjones
10-16-2007, 01:17 PM

If it can only be used by one race, then it appears his message hasn't reached it's full potential, because then you would be able to say it based on the color of your skin, rather than as a reflection of your character.

Ironically MLK used the word himself.

*And MJ leaves.*

Chiefnj2
10-16-2007, 01:26 PM
"They are only words. It's the context that counts. It's the user. It's the intention behind the words that makes them good or bad. The words are completely neutral. The words are innocent. I get tired of people talking about bad words and bad language. Bullshit! It's the context that makes them good or bad. The context. That makes them good or bad. For instance, you take the word "******." There is absolutely nothing wrong with the word "******" in and of itself. It's the racist asshole who's using it that you ought to be concerned about. We don't mind when Richard Pryor or Eddie Murphy say it. Why? Because we know their not racist. Their ******s! Context. Context. We don't mind their context because we know they're black. Hey, I know I'm whitey, the blue-eyed devil, paddy-o, fay gray boy, honkey, mother-****er myself. Don't bother my ass. They are only words. You can't be afraid of words that speak the truth, even if it's an unpleasant truth, like the fact that there's a bigot and a racist in every living room on every street corner in this country."

The real George Carlin

Micjones
10-16-2007, 01:27 PM
Pryor swore off of the word in the latter part of his stand-up career.

*And MJ leaves.*

BigRedChief
10-16-2007, 01:28 PM
BINGO.

Not all racists are white.
So why don't you just walk up to wutamess at the next FF game use it to his face and see what happens?

Chiefnj2
10-16-2007, 01:32 PM
Pryor swore off of the word in the latter part of his stand-up career.

*And MJ leaves.*

After making his money he bowed down to the "soft language" problem that is permeating America.

Jilly
10-16-2007, 01:39 PM
I love how we try to say, "It's just a word", but isn't language all we have really? We communicate things in "words", whether verbally or nonverbally. The thing is is that language is not as powerless as we like to give it credit. Through language we can demean, we can uplift, we can empower and we can tear down. The use of any demeaning word has the ability to say to another person, "I don't think you're worth much." "You're a bitch" = I'm better than you. "You're a slut" = I'm passing judgment on your behavior according to my own standards. "You're a ******" = I have some sort of authority over you. All these terms, may seem like just "words" to us, but they all give off a message of inequality and judgment. Use your words how you want to, but don't pretend like they have no meaning behind them.

Jilly
10-16-2007, 01:42 PM
"They are only words. It's the context that counts. It's the user. It's the intention behind the words that makes them good or bad. The words are completely neutral. The words are innocent. I get tired of people talking about bad words and bad language. Bullshit! It's the context that makes them good or bad. The context. That makes them good or bad. For instance, you take the word "******." There is absolutely nothing wrong with the word "******" in and of itself. It's the racist asshole who's using it that you ought to be concerned about. We don't mind when Richard Pryor or Eddie Murphy say it. Why? Because we know their not racist. Their ******s! Context. Context. We don't mind their context because we know they're black. Hey, I know I'm whitey, the blue-eyed devil, paddy-o, fay gray boy, honkey, mother-****er myself. Don't bother my ass. They are only words. You can't be afraid of words that speak the truth, even if it's an unpleasant truth, like the fact that there's a bigot and a racist in every living room on every street corner in this country."

The real George Carlin

Except that communication and words go two ways. There's what comes out of a person's mouth and then there's what a person hears. It's not just talking, but it's listening. And one never knows how another person might hear them.

Chiefnj2
10-16-2007, 01:44 PM
Except that communication and words go two ways. There's what comes out of a person's mouth and then there's what a person hears. It's not just talking, but it's listening. And one never knows how another person might hear them.

Misinterpretation or one's own prejudices can make a word bad?

Jilly
10-16-2007, 01:47 PM
Misinterpretation or one's own prejudices can make a word bad?

One's own experience can make a word bad. In my opinion, you can't dictate to another person how they "hear" a word and how they should find "meaning" in that word.

For example, I preach. That's what I do. Every Sunday. I can preach the most awesome sermon, but someone in that congregation is going to think it was the worst sermon I have ever given. Because what they heard was something entirely different than the meaning that I intended. They hear it differently because of where they're at in life and I can't argue with that. Does that make sense?

Chiefnj2
10-16-2007, 01:50 PM
Does that make sense?
Yes, but it still doesn't make the word(s) "bad".

Rausch
10-16-2007, 01:53 PM
Words mean different things depending on the context.

I can tell my good friend to **** off and he doesn't care or take offense, but say that to a complete stranger at a bar or football game.

Jilly
Yes, but it still doesn't make the word(s) "bad".

Only because you're the one using it....but the person "hearing" you can still believe it to be "bad".

Another example...

We sing a song in an alternative worship that says this...

"sing you're freaking lungs out...."

When we sang that in the context of regular worship, man...we got some people really offended...but when we sang it in a group of youth/young adults, it gave the song even more meaning.

BigRedChief

We haven't reached the place of MLK's dream.

In a perfect world sure the word should not have any more meaning than another word but we ain't there yet.

This isn't part of the pussification of america. It's about voluntarily respecting others.

Valiant
10-16-2007, 01:54 PM
So why don't you just walk up to wutamess at the next FF game use it to his face and see what happens?

If I remember correctly Wutamess hates that word.. I have never heard it once when playing football or basketball (played once).. Now my tackle football game on Sundays, I hear it at least ten times a minute.. Got to the point I asked if I could yell out cracker every few seconds to the white guys.. Hardly anyone laughed except a few.. Then I sacked the QB...

Ultra Peanut
10-16-2007, 02:06 PM
Smurfs don't lay eggs! I won't tell you this again! Papa Smurf has a ****ing beard! They're mammals!

Ultra Peanut
10-16-2007, 02:10 PM
http://imgred.com/http://logan-1.mirror.waffleimages.com/files/69/69a908b96c0e4b4e085e07f5152a0473198292e7.jpg

Hydrae
10-16-2007, 02:17 PM
Smurfs don't lay eggs! I won't tell you this again! Papa Smurf has a ****ing beard! They're mammals!

But if you choke him, what color is he then? HMMM?

Micjones
10-16-2007, 02:20 PM
After making his money he bowed down to the "soft language" problem that is permeating America.

I think that was more a personal choice than it was being swept up in the tide of more politically correct language.

BigRedChief
10-16-2007, 02:24 PM
If I remember correctly Wutamess hates that word..
He's not the biggest dude out there on Saturdays but I bet he's one of the scrapiest dudes out there you wouldn't want to tangle with.

Thig Lyfe
10-16-2007, 02:24 PM
All I know is that I hate Peruvians.

Rain Man
10-16-2007, 02:25 PM
I don't like it when someone refers to me with the N word, but mostly I just get confused by it.

Hydrae
10-16-2007, 02:33 PM
Words mean different things depending on the context.

I can tell my good friend to **** off and he doesn't care or take offense, but say that to a complete stranger at a bar or football game.

My 16 year old learned a similar lesson recently. He was at band marching practice and had just been chewed out for something. His friends started ragging on him so he flipped them off. Now he says this is a common "sign" to his friends that he is not in the mood for shit. However, someone else saw his actions and told the band leaders he was flipping them off.

As a result he had to write an apology to the band as a whole for his actions. It was hard for him to understand why he needed to apologize when he did not direct it at anyone who would be offended and he certainly did not mean to upset anyone. We had to explain that he needed to apologize for a public display of unacceptable behavior. Also, of course, that he needs to work out a new sign with his friends so he does not inadvertently offend someone else.

One persons actions can and will have an affect on others, intended or otherwise. In polite society you have to watch your words and actions or possibly suffer unexpected consequences.

wutamess
10-16-2007, 02:33 PM
I think that was more a personal choice than it was being swept up in the tide of more politically correct language.

Exactly, after going to Africa he had the revelation that black people are a beautiful thing and he wasn't going to use the demeaning term again.

I applaud his efforts but at the same time, *****s DO exist. The term "a" typically means a degenerate. The "er" is the connotation that has a more racist meaning.

You'll rarely catch a black person using the word "er" but you'll rarely find a black person not useing the "a" version.

DJ_is_the_realdeal
10-16-2007, 03:24 PM
The problem with the N word is its history of hate. I don't care if you are black or white you should not be saying that word for that reason. If a black person uses the word and then turns around and gets mad because he sees a white person do the same thing is freaking retarded. Wrong is wrong and I really hate when I hear black people say they are trying to turn a negative into a positive. There is nothing positive about that word.

Micjones
10-16-2007, 03:54 PM
Words are never static.
They're often complex and have varied connotative and denotative definitions.

The N-word has usage that doesn't signify hatred and vitriol.
Though I won't argue that the rules regarding its application aren't messy at times.

Baby Lee
10-17-2007, 04:43 AM
How dare these whippersnappers say words without the requisite historical malice I've come to expect!!!

Otter
10-17-2007, 05:27 AM
Alot of the racial tension that's been making its rounds lately seems to be highly media generated. Take for example the noose found in the professors office at Columbia University.

How do we know the people that did this weren't of a "minority" or done as a fraternity/sorority stunt or as an attempt to generate exactly what it did; media publicity.

Also, did I miss the memo where something like this becomes national news? Was anyone assaulted, raped, murdered? Remember that war in Iraq and oil hitting $100 a barrel this winter?

But let's focus on the bullshit, that's much easier for the people causing the problems and the people stupid enough to follow the carrot hanging from the stick in front of them.

Oh yeah, the absolute stupidity and hypocrisy of the "n" word being kept alive and well by the same group of people who are offended by it just ****ing baffles me.

Iowanian
10-17-2007, 06:33 AM

I can think of a couple of places in KC I'd like to see you and yo boyce throw that word around.

Saulbadguy
10-17-2007, 06:40 AM
Whats up ese?

MahiMike
10-17-2007, 07:35 AM
Everyone in America is racist. It's bred into our culture. There are varying degrees of it but it's impossible not to see color. It's forced upon us whether we want it or not. Statements like "blacks can say this word but not white" is itself a racist statement. Affirmative action plans and other discriminatory movements based on background force the ones left out of the benefits to think in terms of racism. You see little kids that play together in harmony - until a certain age. Once they become more familiar with our culture, they become programmed without realizing it.

If there are double standards, the result is racism. I say we go back to the days of Don Rickles and let everyone say whatever they want - with a smile on their face and a high five afterwards. THAT's diversity.

BucEyedPea
10-17-2007, 07:48 AM
The "N" word to me means "No!"

ROYC75
10-17-2007, 08:53 AM
Blah Blah Blah, sticks and stones may break my bones but words can never harm me....... unless you let it.

Grow up people, allowing yourself to be sensitive to stuff like this is not allowing yourself freedom of speach.

I have bi-racial grandkids, I teach them to be tough ( thick skinned ) with their understanding of words. If they get called a name, it only shows how stupid or foolish the other person is for saying it. People talk, tell lies, etc. all the time, their comments are only true if you believe in them, if you don't, it's just words, possibly words of a fool or someone who is uneducated about it.

I hate rap & hip hop, can't stand it at all, I tell the grandkids if you listen to it, it better be clean and to respect others around you when you listen to it. If it offends someone close by, turn it off or change the music, learn to get along instead of being childish about it.

Jmart
10-17-2007, 09:36 AM
I love this show. Who would have ever thought a show about lesbians could be so good!

Micjones
10-17-2007, 09:50 AM
Everyone in America is racist.

That's absurd.
I think what you wanted to say was "everyone has prejudices".

Affirmative action plans and other discriminatory movements based on background force the ones left out of the benefits to think in terms of racism.

Trust me when I say this...
You don't want to play the AA card.
You wouldn't like me if you played that card.