PDA

View Full Version : Does this bother you too? - caution racial material –

MIAdragon
03-31-2007, 08:11 PM
I’m probably going to catch heat for this but…..

Let me caveat this by stating that by no means am I raciest in the slightest bit. Watching the Cards Indians game all you hear is how its just a travesty there are not more blacks in baseball and how we have to correct this obvious “problem”. Its not just this game its all over ESPN and the media. Why is this such a problem, is there something I’m missing? Have you ever heard we need more whites on basketball or the NFL? I haven’t and I’m guessing because that would be raciest. I know it shouldn’t but its starting to bother me.

Spott
03-31-2007, 08:14 PM
Is it also a travesty that the NHL and Nascar are 99.9% white?

|Zach|
03-31-2007, 08:17 PM
That bothers you?

ChiefFripp
03-31-2007, 08:17 PM
Well it IS baseball afterall, not like they have anything of interest to talk about, may as well start some controversy.

chagrin
03-31-2007, 08:18 PM
I have not heard one single sports broadcaster say that we need more blacks in baseball, I hear the usual equality bit, but nobosy has said "we need more blacks in baseball" but then again I don't watch every single game

chagrin
03-31-2007, 08:19 PM
Is it also a travesty that the NHL and Nascar are 99.9% white?

No, just the popular sports it seems to bother people.

MIAdragon
That bothers you?

yup pretty pathetic I know, more an annoyance than anything I guess

Cochise
I wonder how they propose to correct it, assuming of course that racist team owners or managers are keeping down black players for some reason...

Fruit Ninja
03-31-2007, 08:20 PM
Nope, but i know white guys can play some hoops, and more and more have been popping up in the NBA lately. Some little dude that is the MVP is pretty good.

unothadeal
03-31-2007, 08:21 PM
If Whites, Blacks, Hispanics, Asians want to play a certain sport they can. But to recruit a certain race just so there's a fair share of multiculturalism is just stupid.

ChiefFripp
03-31-2007, 08:22 PM
If Whites, Blacks, Hispanics, Asians want to play a certain sport they can. But to recruit a certain race just so there's a fair share of multiculturalism is just stupid.
Bingo!

Spott
03-31-2007, 08:23 PM
No, just the popular sports it seems to bother people.

Baseball is popular?

MIAdragon
03-31-2007, 08:24 PM

does it stem from the need to "right the wrong"? I dont get it.

crazycoffey
03-31-2007, 08:28 PM
It should be a none issue, the statement should be "we need more athletic people in this sport" or "Not enough young people are involved with this sport"

but I agree that an announcer would be fired if he said, "we need more white people in the NFL."

Fruit Ninja
03-31-2007, 08:29 PM
Baseball is popular?
for sure. GO DODGERS!!!!

DODGERS GIANTS next week on fox in HIGH DEF. Cant wait.

Ultra Peanut
03-31-2007, 08:31 PM
I'M NOT A RACIST BUT

crazycoffey
03-31-2007, 08:32 PM
does it stem from the need to "right the wrong"? I dont get it.

yes, that is where it started, I think. Affirmitive action, was needed because qualified individuals were overlooked in all work places, sports too, because of their race or sexual orientation.

No doubt it was needed to right the wrong, even though I don't like it, it was probably very useful to get things going the right way. But just as it was probably needed then, it shouldn't be needed forever, we need to level it out.

JBucc
03-31-2007, 08:33 PM
Doesn't baseball start tomorrow? I've been playing MVP 05 (with 07 mod) nonstop for the past week.

DaneMcCloud
03-31-2007, 08:42 PM
This has to do with the lack of baseball parks in most inner-cities. Basketball rules the inner-city and football isn't too far behind. If MLB can invest in baseball academies in places like the Dominican Republic, Puerto Rico and South America, they could invest in the inner-cities of America. But they don't.

MIAdragon
03-31-2007, 08:48 PM
This has to do with the lack of baseball parks in most inner-cities. Basketball rules the inner-city and football isn't too far behind. If MLB can invest in baseball academies in places like the Dominican Republic, Puerto Rico and South America, they could invest in the inner-cities of America. But they don't.

actually they do, take a ride do to Compton they have one there and in several other cities. Again does the NBA have academies in Montana to encourage Whites to play. Im all about equality but be fair across the board

keg in kc
03-31-2007, 08:51 PM
This has to do with the lack of baseball parks in most inner-cities. Basketball rules the inner-city and football isn't too far behind. If MLB can invest in baseball academies in places like the Dominican Republic, Puerto Rico and South America, they could invest in the inner-cities of America. But they don't.Yeah, the Royals are involved with the RBI program (http://www.bgc-gkc.org/main.asp?id=13), Returning Baseball to the Innercity, through the Boys and Girls Club of Greater KC. Ryan Lefebre (Royals play-by-play guy) has been involved over the years with it, as well, with his Gloves for Kids program.

I don't see how anything but good can come of it...

Silock
03-31-2007, 08:54 PM
Why aren't they complaining about the lack of latinos? There are more latinos in this country than black people.

listopencil
03-31-2007, 08:54 PM
Just let baseball die...

listopencil
03-31-2007, 08:57 PM
BTW, I'm offended that you felt the need to put "- caution racial material -" in the thread title.

Damn titlist. That's what's wrong with America today.

|Zach|
03-31-2007, 08:57 PM
Why aren't they complaining about the lack of latinos? There are more latinos in this country than black people.
I imagine because there in fact isn't a lack of latinos in baseball.

keg in kc
03-31-2007, 08:58 PM
actually they do, take a ride do to Compton they have one there and in several other cities. Again does the NBA have academies in Montana to encourage Whites to play. Im all about equality but be fair across the boardNo offense, but you're not making any sense. There are little leagues, babe ruth programs, american legion baseball, minor league teams (which host clinics and tryouts) all over the US. I grew up playing baseball in backwoods West Virginia, of all places. Ass end of nowhere, and we had youth soccer, basketball, football, you name it. There's no shortage of athletic opportunities for most of us who grow up outside of the inner city, regardless of our ethnic background.

The point of the RBI program is not so much to train kids to be professional ballplayers, it's to provide kids with role models and alternatives to the kind of life and lifestyle that they grow up around, through no fault of their own.

DaneMcCloud
03-31-2007, 09:00 PM
Yeah, the Royals are involved with the RBI program (http://www.bgc-gkc.org/main.asp?id=13), Returning Baseball to the Innercity, through the Boys and Girls Club of Greater KC. Ryan Lefebre (Royals play-by-play guy) has been involved over the years with it, as well, with his Gloves for Kids program.

I don't see how anything but good can come of it...

The program you linked isn't actually sponsored by the MLB or a Major League Club but I'm sure it's a good program.

A quick web search reveals that just this month, MLB is building academies in Atlanta & D.C. So it's very recent and something I wasn't aware of until now. Hopefully, it'll make a difference.

DaneMcCloud
03-31-2007, 09:02 PM
take a ride do to Compton they have one there...

No offense, but I'd prefer not to... :evil:

keg in kc
03-31-2007, 09:06 PM
The program you linked isn't actually sponsored by the MLB or a Major League Club but I'm sure it's a good program.Never said it was. I was just mentioning that the Royals were involved with it. They have been for years.A quick web search reveals that just this month, MLB is building academies in Atlanta & D.C. So it's very recent and something I wasn't aware of until now. Hopefully, it'll make a difference.Hopefully it will.

It's ironic that on a board where we regularly have people who'll bemoan the 'hip hop lifestyle' and complain about how black people talk, that there's someone classifying an effort like this, something to elicit positive change, something that may, in fact, serve as an alternative to the perpetuation of that lifestyle, racist.

listopencil
03-31-2007, 09:09 PM
So...how many "black" people are in baseball? Does anyone know? What kind of percentage are we talking about here?

listopencil
03-31-2007, 09:11 PM
Only 8.4 Percent of MLB Players Black

Thursday, March 29, 2007

By RONALD BLUM, AP Baseball Writer

NEW YORK — Only 8.4 percent of major league players last season were black, the lowest level in at least two decades.

As recently as 1995, 19 percent of big leaguers were black, according to Richard Lapchick, director of the University of Central Florida's Institute for Diversity and Ethics in Sports. Nine percent were black in both 2004 and 2005, and the current figure is the lowest since at least the mid-1980s, he said.

Just 3 percent of pitchers were blacks in 2006, Lapchick said Thursday in his annual study, the same as the previous year.

Lapchick gave baseball a B+ for racial diversity, the same as last year, and a C+ for gender, up from a C. Its overall grade improved from C+ to B.

"Jackie Robinson's dream was to increase the percentage of African-American players as well as coaches and front-office personnel," Lapchick said. "While MLB has achieved these new distinctions regarding who runs the game, the percentage of African-Americans playing the game reached a new low."

Baseball is holding its first "Civil Rights Game" exhibition in Memphis, Tenn., this weekend and is planning a celebration on April 15 to mark the 60th anniversary of Robinson breaking the sport's color barrier.

Cleveland pitcher C.C. Sabathia said this month that baseball must do more to promote the game in inner cities.

"It's not just a problem _ it's a crisis," he said.

Lapchick gave baseball a B+ for race and a C for gender for its senior administration hiring. When it came to team vice presidents, he gave a B for race and an F for gender. He gave a D for general managers _ Kenny Williams of the Chicago White Sox is the only black GM and Omar Minaya of the New York Mets is the only Latino GM. For the central offices, he gave an A+ for race and an A for gender.

http://www.foxnews.com/wires/2007Mar29/0,4670,BBOMLBDiversity,00.html

listopencil
03-31-2007, 09:13 PM
People who picked Black or African American in the 2005 census:

12.1% or 34.9 million

Also:

Some other race 6% or 17.3 million
Two or more races 1.9% or 5.6 million

Take that as you will.

Silock
03-31-2007, 09:50 PM
I imagine because there in fact isn't a lack of latinos in baseball.

That's what I was trying to get at, but didn't articulate very well.

Trying to enforce percentage of racial diversity is retarded. Latinos make up 26% of MLB, but are 13% of the US population. Likewise, Blacks are 8% of baseball, but 13% of the population. However, blacks make up over 50% of the NFL. You'd have to replace over 500 white guys with black guys to make it look like America. Just let people play what they want to play.

|Zach|
03-31-2007, 10:12 PM
That's what I was trying to get at, but didn't articulate very well.

Trying to enforce percentage of racial diversity is retarded. Latinos make up 26% of MLB, but are 13% of the US population. Likewise, Blacks are 8% of baseball, but 13% of the population. However, blacks make up over 50% of the NFL. You'd have to replace over 500 white guys with black guys to make it look like America. Just let people play what they want to play.Are they trying to enforce anything? Seems like they are just trying to promote it to a certain audience.

It isn't like affirmative action or anything.

dj56dt58
03-31-2007, 10:17 PM
I heard them say that too...i was like wtf..seems like the majority of the players are black. I mean most pitchers seem to be white but every other position seems to be dominated by blacks...maybe it's just me...i dunno

listopencil
03-31-2007, 10:27 PM
I heard them say that too...i was like wtf..seems like the majority of the players are black. I mean most pitchers seem to be white but every other position seems to be dominated by blacks...maybe it's just me...i dunno

I think you are confusing well tanned Central and South Americans with black people.

DJ's left nut
03-31-2007, 10:32 PM

It's just you.

Guys like Sosa and Edgar Renteria are not black, they're latin.

There really aren't a whole lot of black guys in baseball anymore. The Cardinals only have 1 off the top of my head (Preson Wilson...and he sucks). Willis, Crawford, Young, Sanders, Howard, Weeks, Griffey, Gary Matthews, CC Sabathia...I'm sure there are a bunch more, but it's still telling when you can count most of them.

As for the consequence of this.....who gives a flying @#!$% ?!?!

Black kids don't play baseball anymore, consequently they aren't as good at it. It's why latins dominate the game now, it's definitely the national pastime down there.

Then there's also the multi-sport consideration. Lets say we have a modern day Dave Winfield. Winfield was recruited for both MLB and the NBA. Nowadays, he could go to College, play 1 year and then go get a multi-million dollar contract. In baseball, he'd have to spend years in the minors or college, then play for the MLB minimum for 3 years. Granted, there are signing bonuses in MLB as well, but nowhere near the NFL and NBA dollars.

Sure, go ahead and enact programs designed to give inner city kids a chance to play (as a white guy, I would have loved to have something set up that allowed me to play more baseball after school), but I'm not one bit interested in hearing how this is some kind of crisis. If there is ever evidence that blacks are being passed in favor of inferior white guys (i.e. the 1940's), then something has to be done, but as long as the dearth of black players is a result of a dearth of GOOD black players, then what the hell do I care?

I really don't feel like having politics invade my sports.

Silock
03-31-2007, 10:54 PM
Are they trying to enforce anything? Seems like they are just trying to promote it to a certain audience.

It isn't like affirmative action or anything.

Not enforce like creating rules like the NFL has done with coaches, but more in the "affirmation" or "Hey, we support this" kind of way.

I'm not being very clear with my statements tonight... perhaps it was the 22 oz prime rib I had for dinner :)

|Zach|
03-31-2007, 10:56 PM
Not enforce like creating rules like the NFL has done with coaches, but more in the "affirmation" or "Hey, we support this" kind of way.

I'm not being very clear with my statements tonight... perhaps it was the 22 oz prime rib I had for dinner :)Niiice.

Ari Chi3fs
03-31-2007, 11:47 PM
There needs to be more Mexican Bowlers.

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e145/knelliott/BallLicker.jpg