PDA

View Full Version : Subs, Grinders, Hoagies, and Heros.

BigMeatballDave
04-01-2007, 03:52 PM
I have been on a Sub kick lately, particularly Quiznos. Who has the best. Poll, forthcoming...

Bowser
04-01-2007, 03:52 PM
Gyros.

SBK
04-01-2007, 03:54 PM
Firehouse Subs is good, but they're only in GA and FL.

Bowser
04-01-2007, 03:56 PM
Planet Sub is pretty tasty.

BigMeatballDave
04-01-2007, 03:56 PM
Gyros.I loves those. Just make sure you pronounce it correctly.
:)

milkman
04-01-2007, 04:00 PM
Of the choices listed, I've only ever eaten at Subway, Quiznos and Arby's, and all three suck.

sedated
04-01-2007, 04:11 PM
Quiznos - overpriced, but good
Subway - crap, but has some good deals occassionally
Blimpies - never been
Arby's - hehehehe...hehe. I'm thinkin pussy
Goodscents - best bread

but PlanetSub owns all of 'em, and you should be castrated for not including it on the list

Count Alex's Losses
04-01-2007, 04:14 PM
Hoagies and grinders.

Hoagies and grinders.

Navy beans. Navy beans.

MEATLOAF SANDWICH!

SLOPPY JOE! SLOP-SLOPPY JOE!

blueballs
04-01-2007, 04:15 PM
for the price you pay for that crap
you could make excellent sandwichs
at home

kstater
04-01-2007, 04:18 PM
Firehouse Subs is good, but they're only in GA and FL.

Have them in Arkansas also.

And Quiznos hands down if you have the money.

gblowfish
04-01-2007, 04:29 PM
The Sub Shop, Columbia MO. Best subs in Missouri, no contest.
http://tinyurl.com/2agzmw

Best hot subs ever.
My favorite is a "Bastard Veggie" that's roast beef on a vegetarian sub with 3 cheeses. MMMM....

Shakespeare's Pizza is Columbia is great too. Both places, one of a kind.

Dr. Facebook Fever
04-01-2007, 04:31 PM
Jimmy Johns

crazycoffey
04-01-2007, 04:32 PM
Hoagies and grinders.

Hoagies and grinders.

Navy beans. Navy beans.

MEATLOAF SANDWICH!

SLOPPY JOE! SLOP-SLOPPY JOE!

I'm really surprised we haven't gotten along better, that was the first thing I thought of too.

"down in Lunch Laaaaady laaaaaaand"

crazycoffey
04-01-2007, 04:35 PM
I voted for Quizno's, because "I like the subs....., they are gooooood toooooo eat"

http://re3.mm-a2.yimg.com/image/2294204571 (http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A9gnMiE2JRBGC1kA516JzbkF;_ylu=X3oDMTBjdmNoOTVjBHBvcwMyBHNlYwNzcg--/SIG=1fhmdk812/EXP=1175549622/**http%3A//images.search.yahoo.com/search/images/view%3Fback=http%253A%252F%252Fimages.search.yahoo.com%252Fsearch%252Fimages%253Fp%253Dquizno%252527 s%252Brats%2526fr%253Dyfp-t-501%2526toggle%253D1%2526cop%253Dmss%2526ei%253DUTF-8%26w=435%26h=304%26imgurl=www.corson.tv%252Frats%252Fquiznosrats.jpg%26rurl=http%253A%252F%252Fwww. corson.tv%252Frats%252Frats.htm%26size=35.0kB%26name=quiznosrats.jpg%26p=quizno%2527s%2Brats%26type= jpeg%26no=2%26tt=8%26oid=9cae63084d4cb0fe%26ei=UTF-8)

JimNasium
04-01-2007, 04:36 PM

Best hot subs ever.
My favorite is a "Bastard Veggie" that's roast beef on a vegetarian sub with 3 cheeses. MMMM....

Shakespeare's Pizza is Columbia is great too. Both places, one of a kind.
Nope. Lenny's (http://www.lennyssubshop.com/) Case closed.

sedated
04-01-2007, 04:40 PM
Jimmy Johns

why would anybody like that place, besides being cheap?

their entire store consists of: one kind of bread, 3 kinds of meat, mayo or mustard, lettuce, tomato..that's it. simplicity at its worst

Dr. Facebook Fever
04-01-2007, 04:48 PM
I'm really surprised we haven't gotten along better, that was the first thing I thought of too.

"down in Lunch Laaaaady laaaaaaand"
Me too. I was actually gonna post it and then saw Gocockhunger did and I thought........................................... oh.

KC Jones
04-01-2007, 04:49 PM
D'bronx makes some pretty damn good subs too.

I've always like Schlotzsky's Deli too (spelling?)

I don't think they have them in KC yet, but Heidi's Brooklyn Deli makes some great sandwiches and is starting to spread across the country.

Of course, everyone will have a favorite independent deli, some of mine in KC are:

New York Bakery and Deli at Gregory and Troost - best damn reuben evah!!!1

Accurso's Main Street Deli at 51st and Main

... and the long gone George's sandwich shop that used to be at 46th and Main (or thereabouts).

Dr. Facebook Fever
04-01-2007, 04:51 PM

their entire store consists of: one kind of bread, 3 kinds of meat, mayo or mustard, lettuce, tomato..that's it. simplicity at its worst
There are a bunch of different things at the one here and at least a few different kinds of bread. They have subs and regular style sandwichs.

sedated
04-01-2007, 04:55 PM
D'bronx

good call, excellent.

Schlotzsky's Deli

I don't think they have them in KC yet

we do, but they aren't very successful

BigMeatballDave
04-01-2007, 04:56 PM
Of the choices listed, I've only ever eaten at Subway, Quiznos and Arby's, and all three suck.Subway does suck. I love Quiznos! Their prime rib and peppercorn is the shiznit! They just pile on the meat. $10, but well worth it.

sedated
04-01-2007, 04:57 PM
There are a bunch of different things at the one here and at least a few different kinds of bread. They have subs and regular style sandwichs.

well, they have white bread subs and wheat bread sandwiches.

but it just doesn't have very much selection. everyone in school liked that place, I never saw why.

Dr. Facebook Fever
04-01-2007, 05:00 PM
well, they have white bread subs and wheat bread sandwiches.

but it just doesn't have very much selection. everyone in school liked that place, I never saw why.
Actually I like Subway better anyway. Just thought I'd throw out another to be difficult.

Demonpenz
04-01-2007, 05:00 PM
hi vee

milkman
04-01-2007, 05:08 PM
Subway does suck. I love Quiznos! Their prime rib and peppercorn is the shiznit! They just pile on the meat. $10, but well worth it.

I've only eaten at Quiznos once, but I was highly disappointed, and came to the conclusion that once was one time too many.

Dr. Facebook Fever
04-01-2007, 05:12 PM
I've only eaten at Quiznos once, but I was highly disappointed, and came to the conclusion that once was one time too many.
Here at least they are the most expensive sub place in town and I don't think they're good enough to warrant the extra cash.

cdcox
04-01-2007, 05:12 PM
Nope. Lenny's (http://www.lennyssubshop.com/) Case closed.

JimNasium is a smart man. I'm partial to their cheese steaks. The hot pepper relish really sets that sandwhich off.

crazycoffey
04-01-2007, 05:22 PM
Me too. I was actually gonna post it and then saw Gocockhunger did and I thought........................................... oh.

Well, me and sloppy joe got married, got two kids and we're doing just fine.......

Phobia
04-01-2007, 05:36 PM
Planet Sub is the best far and away in KC. Schlotskies is very good but never seemed to catch on in KC. Good bread is the key and both of those places have mastered that aspect.

The places listed in the poll are the Pizza Hut of sub shops. Complete crap.

Phobia
04-01-2007, 05:37 PM
I've always like Schlotzsky's Deli too (spelling?)

They had them in KC and they closed.

Dr. Facebook Fever
04-01-2007, 05:43 PM
Planet Sub is the best far and away in KC. Schlotskies is very good but never seemed to catch on in KC. Good bread is the key and both of those places have mastered that aspect.

The places listed in the poll are the Pizza Hut of sub shops. Complete crap.
We had a Schlotskies are a few years ago and I loved it. They were always busy but somehow they went out of business. There have been 3 or 4 more restaurants in that building since and each one has gone under, even though it's on the main drag and in a good spot. There's another restaurant that isn't a chain in there now. I give 'em six months.

Maybe the place is haunted... or cursed.

Dr. Facebook Fever
04-01-2007, 05:45 PM
Well, me and sloppy joe got married, got two kids and we're doing just fine.......
That part always struck me as ghey... a little I mean. Sloppy joe has to be male... unless it's short for Joann or something.

Count Alex's Losses
04-01-2007, 05:46 PM
Sloppy Joe marries a LUNCH LADY.

Count Alex's Losses
04-01-2007, 05:47 PM
LA-HAUUUUUUUUUNCH-LA-HAAAAAAADY .........LEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWNNNNNNNND!!!!!!!!!!!!

milkman
04-01-2007, 05:47 PM
That part always struck me as ghey... a little I mean. Sloppy joe has to be male... unless it's short for Joann or something.

I have no idea what any of you are talking about, but if Joe IS a woman, and she's sloppy, who the hell wants any part of that?

Baby Lee
04-01-2007, 05:54 PM
Planet Sub is pretty tasty.
Planet/Yellow pwns joo.

DeezNutz
04-01-2007, 05:55 PM
Jersey Boyz, particularly the original location in Stanley; it's fantastic.

Baby Lee
04-01-2007, 05:57 PM

Errrr, because their bread, meat, and toppings are all top notch.

They don't do tomatillo parmesan salami and gouda on rosemary foccacia, but they do basic subs right.

FTR, they offer

French Bread
7-grain Whole Wheat Bread

Applewood smoked ham
Roast Beef
Turkey Breast
Genoa Salami
Capicola
Bacon
California Baby Tuna salad

Provelone

Lettuce
Tomato
Onion
Oregano
Sprouts
Cucumber
Hot Peppers
Cherry Peppers

Avacado Spread
Mayo
Vinaigrette
Dijon Mustard

crazycoffey
04-01-2007, 06:09 PM

I always thought that he was singing from the lunch lady's perspective, so it was heterosexual.

crazycoffey
04-01-2007, 06:09 PM
I have no idea what any of you are talking about, but if Joe IS a woman, and she's sloppy, who the hell wants any part of that?

mmmmmm, sloppy joe - the new roast beef sandwich?

Dr. Facebook Fever
04-01-2007, 06:11 PM
I always thought that he was singing from the lunch lady's perspective, so it was heterosexual.
I feel better now, thanks.

Deberg_1990
04-01-2007, 06:13 PM
A new one down here thats catching on is "Firehouse" subs. Founded by Firemen

http://www.firehousesubs.com/

Up in KC I used to love Mr. Goodcents.

Simply Red
04-01-2007, 06:34 PM
Carnegie Deli - NY

Hand carved pastrami on sour dough w/ provolone (hot)

Groves
04-01-2007, 07:04 PM
Another vote for Jimmy John's, but none of them compare to the on-every-block subs available when I lived in NJ for two summers.

DaFace
04-01-2007, 07:13 PM
Of those on the list, I'd choose Quiznos. Schlotsky's is pretty good, too. I liked Planet Sub back when I had access to one, but never thought it was anything spectacular myself.

KC Jones
04-01-2007, 07:35 PM
They had them in KC and they closed.

Actually, I was talking about Heidi's Brooklyn Deli - it's a chain that has great bread and excellent sandwiches. One of my favorites is Hell's kitchen - egg salad, cajun sauce (it hot), bacon, avacodo, and swiss cheese.

http://heidisbrooklyndeli.com/

BigMeatballDave
Carnegie Deli - NY

Hand carved pastrami on sour dough w/ provolone (hot)Ooo, that sounds good.

Fairplay
Quiznos, No question.

BigMeatballDave
04-01-2007, 07:39 PM
I am certain some of these small, privately owned shops make far superior subs than any of the ones I have named. Unfortunately, I don't have that luxury here.

KC Jones
04-01-2007, 07:40 PM
Seriously, you folks in KC need to try New York Bakery and Deli on 71st and Troost.

It's as close to a real NY deli as you're going to get in the midwest. Everything is kosher, they bake their own breads including some phenomenal challah. They hand carve the meat right there in front of you. It's outta this world and you gots to try the reuben.

Baconeater
04-01-2007, 09:11 PM
Schlotsky's hands down as far as chain shops, their bread is far better than anyone else's. They also make pizzas with the same bread that they make their sandwiches with and they're damn good too. :drool:

Simply Red
04-01-2007, 09:18 PM
Ooo, that sounds good.

Check their menu @: http://www.carnegiedeli.com/

stlchiefs
04-01-2007, 09:22 PM
Planet Sub in KC
- Tijuana Taxi
Penn Station in STL
- Original Philly

BigMeatballDave
04-01-2007, 10:02 PM
Planet Sub in KC
- Tijuana Taxi
Penn Station in STL
- Original PhillyI have a friend who just moved back from St. Louis. He just raved over Penn Station.

milkman
04-01-2007, 10:04 PM
Seriously, you folks in KC need to try New York Bakery and Deli on 71st and Troost.

It's as close to a real NY deli as you're going to get in the midwest. Everything is kosher, they bake their own breads including some phenomenal challah. They hand carve the meat right there in front of you. It's outta this world and you gots to try the reuben.

I wish I was in KC to try that Reuben.

Mr. Kotter
04-01-2007, 10:05 PM
"Yellow Sub" in Lawrence, Kansas.

THEY were Quiznos, BEFORE there was a "Quiznos"--except even better.

It's not even CLOSE....IMHO. :)

KC Jones
04-01-2007, 10:10 PM
"Yellow Sub" in Lawrence, Kansas.

THEY were Quiznos, BEFORE there was a "Quiznos"--except even better.

It's not even CLOSE....IMHO. :)

ah... yello sub changed their name to planet sub and franchised.

stlchiefs
04-01-2007, 10:15 PM
I believe it's still called Yellow Sub in Lawrence though. Everywhere else it's Planet Sub.

Mr. Kotter
04-01-2007, 10:17 PM
ah... yello sub changed their name to planet sub and franchised.

It's still Yellow Sub in Lawrence last time I was back there..... five years or so ago. If they are now "Planet Sub" I'll have to check them out, if a franchise ever makes it up North. :hmmm:

Phobia
04-01-2007, 10:25 PM

I've had it many times. BringBackMarty and I did a lot of work for the owners of that joint a couple summers back. It's worth every penny of the $12 you pay for them.

Mr. Kotter
04-01-2007, 10:29 PM
I've had it many times. BringBackMarty and I did a lot of work for the owners of that joint a couple summers back. It's worth every penny of the $12 you pay for them.Ah-ha....a "snob" Sub shop. Sounds like Johnson County is the perfect place for it. Heh.

"Culver's" is a good eats place up North here; but I'm convinced they purposely "over-price" their menu to keep out the riff-raff...and trailer park trash. It's good; but not THAT good. Heh.

Thus I only get to enjoy when when the "in-laws" are buying--which ain't often. :shake:

If I'm spending that kinda dough, it's either a buffet; or a NICE restaurant. :)

Phobia
04-01-2007, 10:37 PM
Ah-ha....a "snob" Sub shop. Sounds like Johnson County is the perfect place for it. Heh.
You couldn't be further from the truth. It's in Jackson County on Troost. It doesn't look like much but it's pretty amazing. It's absolutely loaded with corned beef, which is why it's $12. You could feed your family with one.

stlchiefs
04-01-2007, 10:41 PM
It's still Yellow Sub in Lawrence last time I was back there..... five years or so ago. If they are now "Planet Sub" I'll have to check them out, if a franchise ever makes it up North. :hmmm:

I don't know where "North" is, but Planet Sub is the same as Yellow Sub, they just kept the name of the original the same and all the shops they opened after it they went with the Planet Sub name. They have a number of shops throughout KC. I always get a Red Cream Soda with my sub there, I've never seen it as a fountain drink anywhere else.

Mr. Kotter
04-01-2007, 10:49 PM
You couldn't be further from the truth. It's in Jackson County on Troost. It doesn't look like much but it's pretty amazing. It's absolutely loaded with corned beef, which is why it's $12. You could feed your family with one.
Well, then....damn. I'll have to give it a go. At Noon...on a sunny Sunday....when the joint has LOTS of customers (witnesses.) Heh. ;)

I don't know where "North" is, but Planet Sub is the same as Yellow Sub, they just kept the name of the original the same and all the shops they opened after it they went with the Planet Sub name. They have a number of shops throughout KC. I always get a Red Cream Soda with my sub there, I've never seen it as a fountain drink anywhere else.

Heh. I'm a bit north of the River.....the Missouri, and the Sioux....heh. South Dakota, man. Good Cents made it's way up here; I guess with the growth of my city, I'll hope Planet Subs finds it's way here....

:spock:

Hey, any chance you know what a franchise would cost me??? :hmmm:

stlchiefs
04-01-2007, 10:52 PM
I went to Rockhurst Univ., saw the place hundreds of times, craved numerous reubens and never went in. Now whenever I get back to KC, it's Planet Sub or bust.

stlchiefs
04-01-2007, 10:55 PM
Well, then....damn. I'll have to give it a go. At Noon...on a sunny Sunday....when the joint has LOTS of customers (witnesses.) Heh. ;)

Heh. I'm a bit north of the River.....the Missouri, and the Sioux....heh. South Dakota, man. Good Cents made it's way up here; I guess with the growth of my city, I'll hope Planet Subs finds it's way here....

:spock:

Hey, any chance you know what a franchise would cost me??? :hmmm:

I know the guys who franchised in Wichita, KS and they are making a killing. They started with 1 and within the first 12-18 months built another 2-3 stores. They have since looked into the STL franchise rights (which some bastard apparently owns but isn't utilizing) and instead bought the Dallas area franchise rights.
I think Wichita was helped out by people knowing of the place from KC and Lawrence, but the place can survive on its food alone. Give it a go, what do you have to lose except tens of thousands of dollars?

Mr. Kotter
04-01-2007, 11:00 PM
I know the guys who franchised in Wichita, KS and they are making a killing. They started with 1 and within the first 12-18 months built another 2-3 stores. They have since looked into the STL franchise rights (which some bastard apparently owns but isn't utilizing) and instead bought the Dallas area franchise rights.
I think Wichita was helped out by people knowing of the place from KC and Lawrence, but the place can survive on its food alone. Give it a go, what do you have to lose except tens of thousands of dollars?

I half-azzed serious, here. I mean, if I could swing a small business loan from those generous Democrats in Congress....:hmmm:

stlchiefs
04-01-2007, 11:03 PM
Take the loan, if it doesn't work declare bankruptcy. Hell that's what restaurant owners do isn't it, with the 60+% failure rate and all. :shake: Just make sure you buy a big house and a couple nice cars before you file, god knows those are necessities.

KCChiefsMan
04-02-2007, 02:35 AM
I do like Quiznos, but I love Jimmy Johns

Rausch
04-02-2007, 03:32 AM
I picked other before my drunken whits noticed there was no Sub Shop and this poll is ****ing worthless...

icepick64
04-02-2007, 08:19 AM
down here in florida, I would have to say Publix, a grocery store, has the best subs.

eazyb81
04-02-2007, 08:20 AM
I hate the big franchise sub restaurants, their stuff just tastes too plain for me.

In KC, I would highly recommend Jersey Boyz.

Saulbadguy
04-02-2007, 08:38 AM
Jersey Mikes makes a mean italian.

BigMeatballDave
04-02-2007, 11:54 AM
I picked other before my drunken whits noticed there was no Sub Shop and this poll is ****ing worthless...Sorry, Sub Shops aren't everywhere. I have never heard of them, or just don't remember. Either way, that is what the 'Other' option was for.
:)

Redrum_69
04-02-2007, 12:01 PM
Go down to LIttle Italy down by the city market

theres a place down there of a name I no longer speak of

that place has the best sub in the four state area

its been around since the early 1920's

hey, whaddaya expect...I had several contacts from dating a mafia's neice.

Although, i'll never show my face down there....since I no longer exist

macdawg
04-02-2007, 12:12 PM
jimmy johns, planet sub, and quiznos, in that order.

UL Washington
04-02-2007, 12:16 PM
Quiznos is from Denver people. Please boycott.

Pitt Gorilla
04-02-2007, 12:20 PM

Best hot subs ever.

Shakespeare's Pizza is Columbia is great too. Both places, one of a kind.The Sub Shop's rueben is incredible.

Also,
please don't talk about Shakespeare's Pizza. I really miss getting slices at lunch a couple times each week.
:(

Pitt Gorilla
04-02-2007, 12:25 PM
Schlotsky's sour dough bread is very good. I love an original with some balsamic vinegar. Jimmy John's beach club and Italian Night Club sandwiches are both good.

When I lived in KC, I'd eat at a place called Jersey Boys (in Stanley) once a week or so. They had old Chiefs posters and their sandwiches were wonderful. Good times.

stlchiefs
04-04-2007, 11:13 AM
Damnit, I guess this is another vote for quiznos?

Coyote a cool customer:
http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/04/04/chicago.coyote.ap/index.html

Frazod
04-04-2007, 11:26 AM
I really like the Quiznos prime rib on garlic bread sandwich. A bit pricy but worth the extra coin.

Frazod
04-04-2007, 11:29 AM
Damnit, I guess this is another vote for quiznos?

Coyote a cool customer:
http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/04/04/chicago.coyote.ap/index.html

Heh. That's not the one I ate lunch at yesterday.

BigMeatballDave
04-04-2007, 11:34 AM
but PlanetSub owns all of 'em, and you should be castrated for not including it on the list:) Sorry, I just don't remember them. I've been away from KC for 10 years.

Stewie
04-04-2007, 11:52 AM
Jason's Deli is decent. I prefer Planet Sub but I don't eat there as often as I used to. I have to stay away because the "Planet Sub" is like 1200 calories, but I've never eaten a finer sandwich.

stlchiefs
04-04-2007, 11:55 AM
I go for the Super Spuds at Jason's Deli, never actually had a sandwich there.

CosmicPal
04-04-2007, 12:15 PM
Damn, can't believe the options here...it's like choosing McD's over a genuine hamburger.

What kills me too, is that Chartroose Caboose didn't get a single nod in this thread. One of the most under-rated philly sub places.

When I was in KC- it was always Planet Sub, Goodcents, or Chartroose for me. There was a place on Main St, just short of downtown KC, that made the absolute BEST meatball grinders ever. It was well worth the drive from the burbs. I also recall some NY Deli near the city market that made some great sandwiches, but the name evades me.

Honestly though, nothing compares to a couple of sandwich places here in Denver: Heidi's NY Deli and The Spicy Pickle. Both of these places rule!

As for Quizno's- they're okay. I don't always like my sandwiches toasted, but they do have a couple of good ones. Subway is still a very good sandwich, and reliable. I find myself going to Subway more often particularly now that they have a nice selection of sandwich breads to choose from.

The bread is everything to a sandwich, just like a pizza dough is everything to the pizza. At least Subway understood that and developed their bread.

BigMeatballDave
04-04-2007, 12:25 PM
The bread is everything to a sandwich, just like a pizza dough is everything to the pizza. At least Subway understood that and developed their bread.I think the contents are more important. I agree Subway has great bread, but the contents are lousy. Ever eat a prime rib sub from Quiznos?

stlchiefs
04-04-2007, 12:34 PM
Damn, can't believe the options here...it's like choosing McD's over a genuine hamburger.

What kills me too, is that Chartroose Caboose didn't get a single nod in this thread. One of the most under-rated philly sub places.

When I was in KC- it was always Planet Sub, Goodcents, or Chartroose for me. There was a place on Main St, just short of downtown KC, that made the absolute BEST meatball grinders ever. It was well worth the drive from the burbs. I also recall some NY Deli near the city market that made some great sandwiches, but the name evades me.

Honestly though, nothing compares to a couple of sandwich places here in Denver: Heidi's NY Deli and The Spicy Pickle. Both of these places rule!

As for Quizno's- they're okay. I don't always like my sandwiches toasted, but they do have a couple of good ones. Subway is still a very good sandwich, and reliable. I find myself going to Subway more often particularly now that they have a nice selection of sandwich breads to choose from.

The bread is everything to a sandwich, just like a pizza dough is everything to the pizza. At least Subway understood that and developed their bread.

Your opinion lost all credibility when you talked up Subway at the end and admitted going there more often than other places. Have you ever watched them make a sandwich? Peel back the cellophane for your pre-packaged toppings? :Lin: You might as well go buy some Carl Buddig. The only time I go to subway is when I'm traveling and it's the only option in a small town besides McDs and Wendy's.

Stewie
04-04-2007, 12:55 PM
Not to sway anyone away from Planet Sub, but this is why I can't eat there too much any more. Tubby Smith wouldn't be the only Tubby known in my household. And these are only for 1/2 sandwiches. I'm not sure how other subs compare calorie-wise, but this isn't better than eating a fast food meal.

CosmicPal
04-04-2007, 01:03 PM
Your opinion lost all credibility when you talked up Subway at the end and admitted going there more often than other places.

For starters, I didn't say I go to Subway more often than others, I said, I find myself going there more often than in the past when they only served white/wheat bread. I'm merely commending a franchise for at least trying to keep ahead of the Joneses.

I go to Heidi's, Spicy Pickle, Fat Jack's, and Taste of Philly far more than I ever go to Subway. Subway is convenient food, like McD's is, as you mentioned- "only when you're traveling and you have no other options."

Every food critic knows that the dough is the primary ingredient in sandwiches and pizzas.

CosmicPal
04-04-2007, 01:04 PM
. Ever eat a prime rib sub from Quiznos?

Yes, and Quizno's sucks. My beef w/Quizno's is most of the time, the bread is far too toasted, and in some cases, burnt.

HemiEd
04-04-2007, 01:22 PM
I am absolutly addicted to Charlies Grilled Subs, their Philly Cheese Steak is to die for. I eat there at least twice a week and have only had something besides the Philly once.

www.charleys.com

the food is actually better than the picture.

morphius
04-04-2007, 01:28 PM
If we get a sub, it is normally from Planet Sub.

Alton deFlat
04-04-2007, 01:44 PM
Not to sway anyone away from Planet Sub, but this is why I can't eat there too much any more. Tubby Smith wouldn't be the only Tubby known in my household. And these are only for 1/2 sandwiches. I'm not sure how other subs compare calorie-wise, but this isn't better than eating a fast food meal.

Jeez, a six inch sandwich called The Veggie has 534 calories. Do they dip it in lard?

listopencil
04-04-2007, 03:27 PM
Togo's.

gblowfish
04-04-2007, 04:45 PM
From today's USA Today Online:
Coyote makes sandwich run; stops at Chicago Quiznos

CHICAGO (AP) For one day, at least, the roadrunner was safe. It seems the coyote was hankering for another kind of fast food.

Employees and customers at a downtown Chicago Quiznos sandwich shop were stunned to see a coyote walk through the propped-open front door Tuesday afternoon and lie down in a cooler stocked with fruit juice and soda.

"It wasn't aggressive at all," restaurant manager Bina Patel told the Chicago Tribune. "It was just looking around."

Employees and customers calmly cleared out of the restaurant, though some took the time to finish their sandwiches and snap some cell-phone photos, the Chicago Sun-Times reported. Animal control officers took the passive coyote away after about 40 minutes, after a curious crowd had gathered outside.

"This one definitely I will definitely remember forever. A coyote in downtown Chicago," Quiznos employee Rick Torres told WLS-TV.

The city captures 10 to 15 coyotes every year, especially in the spring when they are most active, said Anne Kent, director of Chicago Animal Care and Control. Veterinarians will examine the coyote and, if he is not injured, release him into the wild.