PDA

View Full Version : God I hate "journalists"

Bootlegged
04-03-2007, 06:33 PM
Masters week - they have to trot out the race thing with a story on "why haven't more blacks made it in golf". Some douche on Yahoo.com

It's like a contest of who can outwhine the other person - and jump on any perceived "little guy vs. big guy" story. Just pathetic.

Cave Johnson
04-03-2007, 07:01 PM
Disclaimer... I'm not racist. I have a couple of black friends not named Alan. Anyway, the last time I golfed I ran across a black guy and his son on the way in/out. It's not as rare as, say, running into a black family on the slopes, but close.

Deberg_1990
04-03-2007, 07:08 PM
Im convinced most of the reason that Race is still an "issue" in sports is because the media loves to keep it alive with ignorant stories like this. Controvery sells...

Simplex3
04-03-2007, 07:08 PM
If we aren't a bunch of racists then why do we give a rat's ass how many blacks are golfing?

I'm going to start calling all these racists out when they start whining about "racism".

keg in kc
04-03-2007, 07:09 PM
Why are some of you guys so sensitive about stuff like this?

Bootlegged
04-03-2007, 07:11 PM

The Masters in particular has turned into a media whine fest about women/race/etc. It's an enjoyable week for those of us that like to go - just sick of the latest shitstain that has to raise something to complain about and try to make a name for themselves.

Fuzzy Zoeller
Martha Burke
Lack of blacks
etc
etc
etc

Simplex3
04-03-2007, 07:13 PM
I'm just sick of hearing about it. It's enough to make me want to become bigoted against journalists. I hate those f**kers.

Sam Hall
04-03-2007, 07:23 PM
I'm just sick of hearing about it. It's enough to make me want to become bigoted against journalists. I hate those f**kers.

I'm majoring in journalism. Can I still be a member of the Evil Triumvirate? Can we talk this over?

duncan_idaho
04-03-2007, 07:33 PM

Well, we're sick of people like you blaming us for everything, calling us biased and claiming there's an agenda.

Did anyone make you click on the story link? Did anyone make you read the article? If you're sick of it, don't read it.

Bootlegged
04-03-2007, 07:39 PM
Well, we're sick of people like you blaming us for everything, calling us biased and claiming there's an agenda.

Did anyone make you click on the story link? Did anyone make you read the article? If you're sick of it, don't read it.

This particular story was on the front page of Yahoo - so kind of forced to read it while getting to email.

Dr. Facebook Fever
04-03-2007, 07:41 PM
Im convinced most of the reason that Race is still an "issue" in sports is because the media loves to keep it alive with ignorant stories like this. Controvery sells...
Good point.

duncan_idaho
04-03-2007, 07:43 PM
This particular story was on the front page of Yahoo - so kind of forced to read it while getting to email.

I assume you're talking about this:
"Tiger Woods' success still hasn't boosted black participation on the PGA Tour"
with the photo of Tiger?

Sam Hall
04-03-2007, 07:44 PM

What? Race will always be an issue whether the media brings it up or not.

Sam Hall
04-03-2007, 07:49 PM
A journalist's job is to raise hell. Woodward and Bernstein weren't afraid of Richard Nixon. Journalists who don't make people mad aren't doing their job. However, I don't know what can be done about this issue.

Bootlegged
04-03-2007, 08:00 PM
I assume you're talking about this:
"Tiger Woods' success still hasn't boosted black participation on the PGA Tour"
with the photo of Tiger?

Yes, that is the one.

plbrdude
04-03-2007, 08:03 PM
i know i'm dumder than a box of rocks, cause i just thought not many blacks liked to golf. go figure.

Bootlegged
04-03-2007, 08:04 PM
A journalist's job is to raise hell. Woodward and Bernstein weren't afraid of Richard Nixon. Journalists who don't make people mad aren't doing their job. However, I don't know what can be done about this issue.

This is the problem imo. You believe this job is to raise hell. It's all about making a name, creating controversy and pushing personal beliefs out as the norm. It's not much about reporting "news". The big 3 networks all report the same "news" stories every night. Wonder why that is?

duncan_idaho
04-03-2007, 08:14 PM
Yes, that is the one.

Then how are you being forced to read it? It's a head and deck. It's one sentence. You don't have to read more about it if you don't want to.

How is that worse than, say a story abuot how great John Elway was? I assume you'd be just as interested in that story?

And did you read the article?

Sam Hall
04-03-2007, 08:14 PM
This is the problem imo. You believe this job is to raise hell. It's all about making a name, creating controversy and pushing personal beliefs out as the norm. It's not much about reporting "news". The big 3 networks all report the same "news" stories every night. Wonder why that is?

The problem is journalists are not raising hell and affecting change. They are afraid of ruffling someone's feathers. The media would rather cover Anna Nicole's death than do an investigative report about government. Our society is more interested in Anna Nicole and the entertainment value of that story.

It's not about the three things you mentioned. I'll agree that every network is reporting the same news. The conglomerates who own media are interested in entertainment. I'm in it to report the news and tell people things they didn't know.

Bootlegged
04-03-2007, 08:19 PM
Then how are you being forced to read it? It's a head and deck. It's one sentence. You don't have to read more about it if you don't want to.

How is that worse than, say a story abuot how great John Elway was? I assume you'd be just as interested in that story?

And did you read the article?

First - I put journalists in quotes for a reason. There are certainly all walks.

This was on the front page of Yahoo when I opened my browser - a picture of Tiger with the subtitle about more blacks not catching on with the PGA tour. Of all the stories to be written about this great event - the focus is always on one of the perceived injustices of the world. Martha, Fuzzy, and now this. Was I held hostage and forced to read it? No. Am I sick of seeing the same biased crap pushed out time after time and now interjected into a sporting event I enjoy? Yes.

Bootlegged
04-03-2007, 08:21 PM
The problem is journalists are not raising hell and affecting change. They are afraid of ruffling someone's feathers. The media would rather cover Anna Nicole's death than do an investigative report about government. Our society is more interested in Anna Nicole and the entertainment value of that story.

It's not about the three things you mentioned. I'll agree that every network is reporting the same news. The conglomerates who own media are interested in entertainment. I'm in it to report the news and tell people things they didn't know.

So you think journalists should set the agenda for the country? Affecting change - whose to say journalists are the moral compass?

A journalist is a person who practices journalism, the gathering and dissemination of information about current events, trends, issues and people.

Reporters are one type of journalist. They create reports as a profession for broadcast or publication in mass media such as newspapers, television, radio, magazines, documentary film, and the Internet. Reporters find the sources for their work, their reports can be either spoken or written, and they are generally expected to report in the most objective and unbiased way to serve the public good.

Depending on the context, the term journalist also includes various types of editors and visual journalists, such as photographers, graphic artists, and page designers.

Micjones
04-03-2007, 08:23 PM
The more I hang around this forum...
The more I realize that ignorance is bliss.

Sam Hall
04-03-2007, 08:25 PM
First - I put journalists in quotes for a reason. There are certainly all walks.

This was on the front page of Yahoo when I opened my browser - a picture of Tiger with the subtitle about more blacks not catching on with the PGA tour. Of all the stories to be written about this great event - the focus is always on one of the perceived injustices of the world. Martha, Fuzzy, and now this. Was I held hostage and forced to read it? No. Am I sick of seeing the same biased crap pushed out time after time and now interjected into a sporting event I enjoy? Yes.

I think it's a legitimate issue and I don't think its been crammed down our throats like other issues. I don't see the bias. It's only one story on one web site.

Bootlegged
04-03-2007, 08:27 PM
I think it's a legitimate issue and I don't think its been crammed dpwn our throats like other issues. I don't see the bias. It's only one story on one web site.

Here's another story - with the same exact point.

http://www.newsday.com/sports/columnists/ny-sppow0404,0,733637.column?coll=ny-sports-columnists

Bootlegged
04-03-2007, 08:27 PM
I think it's a legitimate issue and I don't think its been crammed dpwn our throats like other issues. I don't see the bias. It's only one story on one web site.

Here's AP with the same slant..

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17858430/

Bootlegged
04-03-2007, 08:29 PM
And another

http://www.canada.com/topics/sports/golf/masters2007/story.html?id=b2e9943f-31e6-43a1-b0aa-60f650e10b3e&k=12669

Sam Hall
04-03-2007, 08:32 PM
So you think journalists should set the agenda for the country? Affecting change - whose to say journalists are the moral compass?

A journalist is a person who practices journalism, the gathering and dissemination of information about current events, trends, issues and people.

Reporters are one type of journalist. They create reports as a profession for broadcast or publication in mass media such as newspapers, television, radio, magazines, documentary film, and the Internet. Reporters find the sources for their work, their reports can be either spoken or written, and they are generally expected to report in the most objective and unbiased way to serve the public good.

Depending on the context, the term journalist also includes various types of editors and visual journalists, such as photographers, graphic artists, and page designers.

I didn't say anything about setting the agenda for the country. Journalists are supposed to be the watchdog for society. I'll give you an example of affecting change. Let's say there's a fatal car accident at an intersection. A journalist/reporter/broadcaster (it's the same thing) reports that there have been five fatalities at that intersection in the last 10 months. A city official reads the artcle and goes about making the intersection safer. That scenario happens all the time. That's what I mean by affecting change for the benefit of society.

You didn't tell me anything I didn't know.

Douche Baggins
04-03-2007, 08:33 PM
I'm majoring in journalism

You poor bastard.

Sam Hall
04-03-2007, 08:36 PM
You poor bastard.

I get to attend games for free and write about them. It could be worse. Aren't you in the profession? I'm interpreting that as sarcasm.

duncan_idaho
04-03-2007, 08:45 PM

Did you read the article, bootlegged? Because if you didn't, how can you claim the story was biased? If you read the story and still feel that way, OK. But if you're basing your opinion that the article is biased on the blurb, that's short-sighted.

Oh, and the second link you provided (the canada.com one) is the same AP story as the one you linked to on MSNBC.

duncan_idaho
04-03-2007, 08:46 PM
I get to attend games for free and write about them. It could be worse. Aren't you in the profession? I'm interpreting that as sarcasm.

Sam - where are you going to school?

Sam Hall
04-03-2007, 08:47 PM
Sam - where are you going to school?

University of Central Missouri.

duncan_idaho
04-03-2007, 08:51 PM
University of Central Missouri.

Ah, good times. They still call the paper there the Mule Skinner? I worked for the Sedalia paper in high school - that's a fun area to cover. Kids like to talk and the coaches are helpful, mostly.

Douche Baggins
04-03-2007, 08:53 PM
I get to attend games for free and write about them.

Yeah, so did I.

It could be worse.

True. You could be a photographer.

Aren't you in the profession? I'm interpreting that as sarcasm.

I'm not really "in" the biz. It's not for me. Out of curiosity, how many games and what sort have you covered?

Sam Hall
04-03-2007, 08:55 PM
Ah, good times. They still call the paper there the Mule Skinner? I worked for the Sedalia paper in high school - that's a fun area to cover. Kids like to talk and the coaches are helpful, mostly.

Yes, I'm on the Muleskinner.

Sam Hall
04-03-2007, 09:00 PM
Yeah, so did I.

True. You could be a photographer.

I'm not really "in" the biz. It's not for me. Out of curiosity, how many games and what sort have you covered?

I've done a little baseball here and there. I don't have much expereince yet, but I'll get more during my internship this summer. I've done some golf, but that was over the phone with the team since we can't attend the tournaments. I just gave them a call when the tournament was over. Most of my experience is with general feature stories at UCM.

Sam Hall
04-03-2007, 09:01 PM
I didn't have a problem with the article about Tiger and the lack of African Americans in golf. The article had some good quotes.

Douche Baggins
04-03-2007, 09:02 PM
Well, that's not too bad. That was always the part I enjoyed most.

BTW, summer generally blows for college sports in my experience.

Sam Hall
04-03-2007, 09:06 PM
Well, that's not too bad. That was always the part I enjoyed most.

BTW, summer generally blows for college sports in my experience.

I'll be covering American Legion baseball and 7-on-7 football. I've been told the Legion games are like a trainwreck. One team is far superior to the other. I didn't know they did 7-on-7 in the summer around here. I'll probably do some features, too.

Cochise
04-03-2007, 09:06 PM
I think it's just a matter of demographics.

Golf is not a cheap hobby. It's an expensive sport that is only in the last decade or so making a ton of inroads to the middle class. It's an unfortunate fact that the average black household is lower income than the average white household.

That's not to say anything about either group, that's just the current state of affairs. Less kids growing up in the past who were black had the opportunity to get into golf. It's not as accessible as other sports are. And I think if you look at things like the demographics around places where golf courses are located, in the suburbs and such, it's probably overwhelmingly white.

Not many people in the NHL are black either. It's not racism, it's just that hockey is popular in areas where there is a comparatively low minority population.

A sport has to be accessible to a kid before he can even begin to build the skills it takes to be a professional. A rich guy's kid has a greater chance to get into golf at an early age. Someone like me who grew up white and middle class in the suburbs may not have been exposed to golf, but we lived around where there were baseball diamonds and football fields, so that kid is more likely to have been exposed to that. In more urban areas, there aren't a lot of golf courses or neighborhood baseball parks (at least not as many) but there are tons of places to play basketball. The game itself just lends itself to that setting.

I think we're going to see a flattening and more of a melting pot effect in all sports in years to come. We're just looking at things now, a snapshot in the middle of a long process of change.

Douche Baggins
04-03-2007, 09:07 PM
I'll be covering American Legion baseball and 7-on-7 football. I've been told the Legion games are like a trainwreck. One team is far superior to the other. I didn't know they did 7-on-7 in the summer around here. I'll probably do some features, too.

I'm not familiar with American Legion baseball. What's 7-on-7 football? My university didn't have a football team.

Sam Hall
04-03-2007, 09:16 PM
I'm not familiar with American Legion baseball. What's 7-on-7 football? My university didn't have a football team.

I've been told the American Legion used to be a step below single-A ball. My grandpa played in the Legion and said the Dodgers came by one time to scout his team. The Legion isn't that good a league anymore.

The main thing I know about 7on7 is that all offensive players are eligible to catch a pass. It's mostly played at small schools that aren't big enough to field a regular size team.

|Zach|
04-03-2007, 09:21 PM
Lattimer wakes up dedicated to being unhappy about news he doesn't like or agree with.

Like that whole pope thing he dramaqueened up finding one tiny source that was critical about part of his past and making a big deal out of it like the problem was across the board when every major online news source had nothing but praise.

You can't stop people that are dedicated to being pissed off.

Valiant
04-03-2007, 09:26 PM
Disclaimer... I'm not racist. I have a couple of black friends not named Alan. Anyway, the last time I golfed I ran across a black guy and his son on the way in/out. It's not as rare as, say, running into a black family on the slopes, but close.

We give our friends shit when they go on float trips with us...

Valiant
04-03-2007, 09:27 PM

Valiant
04-03-2007, 09:29 PM

That is the thing.. It used to be the journalist job to report the news that needs to be known... Not MAKE UP news that serves to create a fake controversy...

Sam Hall
04-03-2007, 09:31 PM
That is the thing.. It used to be the journalist job to report the news that needs to be known... Not MAKE UP news that serves to create a fake controversy...

The story in question doesn't fit that category. Things like that are few and far between.

leviw
04-03-2007, 10:02 PM
My advice, and sure I know a little bit about the topic, get away from your respective school newspapers ASAP.

Douche Baggins
04-03-2007, 10:04 PM
My advice, and sure I know a little bit about the topic, get away from your respective school newspapers ASAP.

You sound even more jaded than I. Care to elaborate?

leviw
04-03-2007, 10:11 PM
You sound even more jaded than I. Care to elaborate?

Trust me, I'm as jaded as the come.

Bad habits, is my main reason in saying that. You develop them quickly at school newspapers, because they don't require anything from you other than good grammar, and anyone can learn commas, periods and their, there and they're. You can get away with cliches, editorial comments, poor journalistic skills, laziness, and the list goes on.

Also, if you want to be a sports journalist, don't major in journalism. You'll learn next to nothing. Major in something like history or psychology that will help you dive deeper into issues you will come across later. It will also allow you to have another option when you get burnt out of the biz.

stlchiefs
04-03-2007, 10:15 PM
Yeah history and psychology are majors you can do a lot with. :shake: You need to plan on grad school if you want to do anything besides teach with those majors.

duncan_idaho
04-03-2007, 10:18 PM
Sam,

I'm assuming the Sedalia legion team still is pulling kids from all over the area ... they probably will be pretty good. Not sure about other teams in the area (does Warrensburg have a Legion team? I don't remember them having one).

Douche Baggins
04-03-2007, 10:20 PM
Trust me, I'm as jaded as the come.

Bad habits, is my main reason in saying that. You develop them quickly at school newspapers, because they don't require anything from you other than good grammar, and anyone can learn commas, periods and their, there and they're. You can get away with cliches, editorial comments, poor journalistic skills, laziness, and the list goes on.

Also, if you want to be a sports journalist, don't major in journalism. You'll learn next to nothing. Major in something like history or psychology that will help you dive deeper into issues you will come across later. It will also allow you to have another option when you get burnt out of the biz.

Very good advice, although I would say working on a daily college newspaper is invaluable experience (it certainly helped me to decide AGAINST the profession). The one I was at easily had tougher standards than your average community-run newspaper.

leviw
04-03-2007, 10:20 PM
Yeah history and psychology are majors you can do a lot with. :shake: You need to plan on grad school if you want to do anything besides teach with those majors.

That's what I was insinuating --going back to school. But what you learn with the undergrad courses will at least be something you can use as a journalist.

Douche Baggins
04-03-2007, 10:22 PM
Yeah history and psychology are majors you can do a lot with.

They're probably comparable to journalism:

http://img152.imageshack.us/img152/3048/dilbertzi1.gif (http://imageshack.us)

Sam Hall
04-03-2007, 10:25 PM
Sam,

I'm assuming the Sedalia legion team still is pulling kids from all over the area ... they probably will be pretty good. Not sure about other teams in the area (does Warrensburg have a Legion team? I don't remember them having one).

I know Lee's Summit, Blue Springs and Warrensburg have a team. I'll definitely cover Lee's Summit because that's where I'm working.

leviw
04-03-2007, 10:26 PM
Very good advice, although I would say working on a daily college newspaper is invaluable experience (it certainly helped me to decide AGAINST the profession). The one I was at easily had tougher standards than your average community-run newspaper.

Absolutley. If you are at a place with a good j-school (Mizzou, Northwestern, Syracuse, etc.) that has a daily newspaper with high standards, by all means, get after it. I worked at a daily college newspaper for one semester, then got on with a "real" newspaper. The difference in standards and accountability was night and day. But even in one semester, I torched myself with habits I'm still recovering from, but no one at the school paper was smart enough/willing to grab me and say, "Hey dumbass, why don't you __________."

Sam Hall
04-03-2007, 10:30 PM

The main problem I run into is finding sources. I never know when they're going to be available for an interview. It's sometimes hard to find time in someone's schedule to sit and talk for awhile. But it's easy once I secure the interview.

leviw
04-03-2007, 10:32 PM
The main problem I run into is finding sources. I never know when they're going to be available for an interview. It's sometimes hard to find time in someone's schedule to sit and talk for awhile. But it's easy once I secure the interview.

A lot of times, phone and e-mail interviews are much easier to schedule for all parties involved.

stlchiefs
04-03-2007, 10:34 PM
They're probably comparable to journalism:

http://img152.imageshack.us/img152/3048/dilbertzi1.gif (http://imageshack.us)

ROFL God I love Dilbert

Douche Baggins
04-03-2007, 10:34 PM

Just go to practice. Let them know you're going to be there. Coaches are usually in their office in the mornings. You can ask them to prepare a few specific players for interviews that afternoon.

Douche Baggins
04-03-2007, 10:36 PM
A lot of times, phone and e-mail interviews are much easier to schedule for all parties involved.

I made ample use of the phone. Everyone should have a recording device that plugs into the phone. Invaluable resource.

Sam Hall
04-03-2007, 10:37 PM

Yeah, but you can't establish rapport. It's easier to ask probing questions if the interviewee is comfortable with you. Email is hit and miss because the person may not respond or the person may not give thoughtful answers.

Sam Hall
04-03-2007, 10:38 PM
Just go to practice. Let them know you're going to be there. Coaches are usually in their office in the mornings. You can ask them to prepare a few specific players for interviews that afternoon.

I haven't had problems with sports sources, it's the general feature stories that sometimes give me issues with finding sources.

Douche Baggins
04-03-2007, 10:40 PM
I haven't had problems with sports sources, it's the general feature stories that sometimes give me issues with finding sources.

Are you saying the features aren't about sports?

Sam Hall
04-03-2007, 10:40 PM
I agree that the phone is the quickest way to do an interview, especially is the source is comfortable with you.

duncan_idaho
04-03-2007, 10:42 PM
I know Lee's Summit, Blue Springs and Warrensburg have a team. I'll definitely cover Lee's Summit because that's where I'm working.

That should be a good time. The Lees' Summit paper has a pretty good reputation at Mizzou - I had a professor who always sent a student there for a one-week section of class (it was a community journalism class).

The best advice I can give you is to make sure you read a lot of different types of writers make sure you pay attention to the beat writers and not just the columnists.

Sam Hall
04-03-2007, 10:43 PM
Are you saying the features aren't about sports?

I took a features writing class where we did general stories about various campus issues. Only a few of them were about sports, and those were the easiest because I knew who to call and when to call.

Douche Baggins
04-03-2007, 10:45 PM
I took a features writing class where we did general stories about various campus issues. Only a few of them were about sports, and those were the easiest because I knew who to call and when to call.

That's interesting. None of my classes involved doing any actual journalism.

Sam Hall
04-03-2007, 10:47 PM
That's interesting. None of my classes involved doing any actual journalism.

Juggling that class with my other classes was the hardest part.

Douche Baggins
04-04-2007, 05:35 AM
A journalist's job is to raise hell. Journalists who don't make people mad aren't doing their job.

BTW, I certainly hope you don't believe this.

Douche Baggins
04-04-2007, 05:37 AM
Why did Bootlegged delete his post? I have saved it for all to see:

http://img106.imageshack.us/img106/3341/bootxk9.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Bootlegged
04-04-2007, 05:51 AM
Why did Bootlegged delete his post? I have saved it for all to see:

http://img106.imageshack.us/img106/3341/bootxk9.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

I was going to write something else, but this should suffice.

Adept Havelock
04-04-2007, 05:54 PM
The job of the journalist is to comfort the afflicted, and afflict the comfortable.

-Finley Peter Dunne

Can't say I always agree with that, but it strikes me as an excellent starting point.

Sam Hall
04-04-2007, 10:03 PM
The job of the journalist is to comfort the afflicted, and afflict the comfortable.

-Finley Peter Dunne

Can't say I always agree with that, but it strikes me as an excellent starting point.

I enjoy some good cynicism, so let's keep it going. These quotes about journalism are from The Devil's Collection: A Cynic's Dictionary.

"The last refuge of the vaguely talented." -Walter Lippmann

Bob Knight would agree.

"The only thinkable alternative to working." -Jeffrey Barnard

"The ability to meet the challenge of filling space." -Rebecca West

That's certainly part of it.

"Something that largely consists in saying "Lord Jones is dead" to people who never knew Lord Jones was alive." -G.K. Chesterton

We've all thought about that one.

"Survival of the vulgarest." -Oscar Wilde

I respectfully disagree with the esteemed Mr. Wilde.

Journalist: "A man who lies in the sun all day, then goes home to his typewriter to lie some more." -Frank Sinatra

Only the bad journalists do this.

Douche Baggins
04-04-2007, 10:08 PM
"Something that largely consists in saying "Lord Jones is dead" to people who never knew Lord Jones was alive." -G.K. Chesterton

I like this one.

Mr. Plow
04-05-2007, 06:44 AM
i know i'm dumder than a box of rocks, cause i just thought not many blacks liked to golf. go figure.

I guess I'm as dumb as well. I know there is some interest for blacks to play golf, but not the interest that other races have.

StcChief
04-05-2007, 07:24 AM
Controversy sells. just don't buy it.