PDA

View Full Version : Need Maui advice

chief husker
04-03-2007, 08:05 PM
Mrs Husker and I are heading to Maui later this month. Any advice on things to do? Places that are must see destinations? How about the places to avoid? We are staying in Hana for two days once we arrive. Two days in Lahaina and then four days up north at the Ritz. Planning on snorkeling at Molokini crater. Maybe the sunrise bike ride. Any help would be appreciated.

Carlota69
04-03-2007, 08:16 PM
Mrs Husker and I are heading to Maui later this month. Any advice on things to do? Places that are must see destinations? How about the places to avoid? We are staying in Hana for two days once we arrive. Two days in Lahaina and then four days up north at the Ritz. Planning on snorkeling at Molokini crater. Maybe the sunrise bike ride. Any help would be appreciated.

If You are interested in a romantic dinner on the beach, and it is sweet...check out feastonthebeach.com. My friend Raja is the owner/chef and it fuc*ing rocks!

Also make sure you check out the Wailaei Hotel...Unbeleivable...The spa is awesome there.

chief husker
04-03-2007, 08:29 PM
Looks great. Nice menu? What is the price range?

Simplex3
04-03-2007, 08:31 PM
Snorkel at Molokini? Check.

Visit Hana? Check.

Do the 7 sacred pools while in Hana. When we were there the water was cold as hell. Also do the black sand beach.

Drive to Haleakala visitor's center (the top of the volcano)? Do.

Carve out half a day to just f**k around at the hotel/beach.

There was a neat little shopping area just up the highway from our hotel (the Aston Kaanapali Shores, I highly recommend it), I'll be damned if I can remember what the name was. Old Lahaina Town maybe?

Do a luau somewhere. Eat seafood. That's about it.

Joie
04-03-2007, 08:45 PM
Not sure if they still are or not, but the Travel Channel was all about Hawaii this afternoon.

SBK
04-03-2007, 08:51 PM
Kaanapali Beach Sheraton has a huge rock that you can cliff jump into the ocean on, that's fun. It's probably 30-45 ft high, and kids jump off it all freakin day.

If Zulu's is still there, in Old Lahaina town, and I've heard it might not be, get the blackened swordfish. Better than any steak I've ever had, and I don't like seafood.

Sit on the beach and do nothing, it's freakin great. Maui is amazing, you're going to have fun.

Oh yeah, get some snorkel gear and take it with you to the beach. You literally can just jump out of the car and snorkel anywhere. And be sure to do the dive at the crater (Molokini.) I saw a 6-8 ft shark there, and about a bazillion other fish. They have some of the biggest angel fish I've ever seen.

chief husker
04-03-2007, 08:52 PM
Excellent. Good stuff so far. Thanks.

Brianfo
04-03-2007, 09:31 PM
My wife and I were there in February. We had a great time. We were not impressed with Hana at all. You should still be seeing a lot of whales and that is fun. We took a cocktail cruise in the evening that was offered and would recommend that. It's also a great time to do whale watching. I would snorkel as much as you can as it's a great time. Whaler's Village is a great place to shop and Old Lahaina town has some nice eating places and several shops. Make sure to see the Banyan tree in Lahaina harbor. Make sure to eat on the ocean some evening and watch the sun go down. Breathtaking. Have a great time.

SNR
04-03-2007, 10:54 PM
You'll love the sunrise bike ride. That was one of the more memorable things I did in Maui. Highly recommend it.

T-post Tom
04-03-2007, 11:03 PM
Blue Hawaiian Helicopters offers some phenomenal tours. You'll see terrain that is not accessible by land. This includes some of the most stunning waterfalls in the world. And the ride over Haleakala is like visiting a lunar landscape. Prices are surprisingly reasonable, but even if they weren't, it would still be worth every penny and then some.

Try one of the smaller dinner cruises. (10 or less.) Nothing like an intimate sunset dinner on the blue waters of Maui. You've missed most of the whales (Nov-Mar), but it's still an awesome experience. (Save the whales for your next trip there. :) )

Be careful at Molokini. Stray beyond 30 or 40 ft of water and you'll likely bump into a few sharks. The tour boats don't like to advertise that there's deep water on the 'other' side of the crater and it's a shark breeding area. But stay inside the crater's boundries and you'll be fine.

Want to see the most spectacular sunrise of your life? Take one of the Haleakala sunrise tours. Words won't do it justice. You might also try one of the sunrise bike tours. They will haul you to the top and let you ride down.

And don't forget to try the Kona coffee, papaya, guava, lichee (best in May) and mangos. Shaka bra!

TinyEvel
04-04-2007, 01:10 AM
NIce. You're going to have a great time.

The morning Haleakala Bike ride? Dress warm. In layers. It is friggen cold up there.

I suggest you buy a snorkel/mask/flippers here and bring it with you. you can do snorkeling anywhere on the island, basically, and keep them your whole life as incentive to return to warm tropical places.

The pineapple winery is not really that great. More like a novelty and in the middle of the island. Not really a destination.

If you're going from Hana to the rest of the Island, take the paved road. That one road that's only for 4-wheel drives is not fun and not a scenic drive. It's the dry side of the island.

2bikemike
04-04-2007, 02:07 AM
Check out this book "Maui Revealed"

http://www.amazon.com/Maui-Revealed-Guidebook-Andrew-Doughty/dp/0971727937/ref=pd_bbs_2/002-7849244-7812820?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1175670293&sr=8-2

My wife and I have been to Maui many times and its probably our favorite vacation spot.

spe725
04-04-2007, 06:33 AM
I agree, you must get Maui Revealed. It will have everything you want to know and then some.

MIAdragon
04-04-2007, 07:23 AM
If you have time and its your first trip to Hawaii hop over to Oahu and check out he Polynesian cultural center, Peal Harbor and the North shore you can do it all in a day.

chief husker
04-04-2007, 08:08 AM
Oahu sounds cool. $295 per person to helicopter over and play for the day. Worth it?

Sully
04-04-2007, 08:52 AM
Ok, here's my take on the sunrise bike ride...

We just did this, and though it ends up being one of the things we always talk about, I would not recommend it readily. Here's why...
The van picked us up at our hotel at 3am, in order to take us to the company, and then for the long ride to the top of the mountain. Once we were at the top of the mountain, it was cold as ****. (so if you do it, dress as warm as possible, and it wouldn't hurt to OVERDO it.) Our campany gave us a couple of layers of coats and gloves... but it still wasn't enough. SInce there are so many companies that do this, it is crowded as hell overlooking the crater.
The bike ride was fun (and scary at times), so I can't really talk badly about that.

Here';s the bottom line, you lose most of the day due to the trip and getting some sleep when you get back , since you were up at 3am to see a sunrise. And even though it's the coolest sunrise EVER, it just wasn't worth what we gave up in order to freeze our baguettes off.

...but, like I said... after all that, it's still one of the top 3-4 things we talk about when telling of our trip.

MIAdragon
04-04-2007, 08:53 AM
Oahu sounds cool. $295 per person to helicopter over and play for the day. Worth it?

I think so, I lived on Oahu for a few years and its by far my favorite. If you make it over there is a local sandwich hut called the big kahuna that has the BEST pulled kalua pork you have ever had. I say go for it you wont regret it.

Sully
04-04-2007, 08:59 AM
DEFINITELY do the whale watching...

...amazing.

SBK
04-04-2007, 09:18 AM
You can fly to Oahu on Hawaiian Air or Aloha Airlines for far less than $295 per person.....but, I'm sure that's part of the tour you'd get by helicopter that airplanes won't take you on.

Iowanian
04-04-2007, 10:38 AM
Send me a couple of big cans of fresh macadamia nuts.

My folks just got back, and I'm not sure if the migration will be over when you get there, but they said there were whales everywhere....up close several times.

ImuMamalukabubuday
04-04-2007, 10:46 AM
As for food, you can't miss Mama's Fish House. It's a bit of a drive from Lahaina (back towards the airport), but I've never heard anyone have a bad experience there. The food and atmosphere is amazing.

Also, check out the clubhouse at the Plantation Course on Kapalua for a sunset dinner (believe it's called the plantation house. It's a short 10 minute drive from Lahaina. The golf course is a championship PGA course, and it's amazing. The clubhouse overlooks the course, the food is great, and the sunset there is amazing.

Carlota69
04-04-2007, 10:57 AM
Looks great. Nice menu? What is the price range?

You know I'm not exactly sure...but contact Raja and tell him I sent you and he'll take good care of you.

chief husker
04-04-2007, 11:40 AM
As for food, you can't miss Mama's Fish House. It's a bit of a drive from Lahaina (back towards the airport), but I've never heard anyone have a bad experience there. The food and atmosphere is amazing.

Also, check out the clubhouse at the Plantation Course on Kapalua for a sunset dinner (believe it's called the plantation house. It's a short 10 minute drive from Lahaina. The golf course is a championship PGA course, and it's amazing. The clubhouse overlooks the course, the food is great, and the sunset there is amazing.

Thanks. I will check it out. We are staying in Lahaina and then at the Ritz which I think is near or on the Plantation course.

DrRyan
07-20-2010, 04:51 PM
Just booked the honeymoon for the wife and I today to Maui. Nine nights, three each in Ka'anapali, Wailea and Hana. Anyone else been out there since 2007 that cares to add any other "must dos" to the thread?

Off the top of my head we plan to do: Sunrise at Haleakala, 7 Sacred Pools, Road to Hana, some hiking, snorkel at Molokini, hang out at the Hotel for at least a day, surf. Maybe a luau but that really is not a must do for me after living in New Zealand for a while. Already did the NZ version of a luau.

Joe Seahawk
07-20-2010, 04:56 PM
2 Words: Napili Bay:clap:

JD10367
07-20-2010, 07:37 PM
I drove the road to Hana. A white-knuckle adventure in a standard rental car. Take a tour bus, so you can actually look around instead... or rent a small sporty car that can handle the road more easily.

Groves
07-20-2010, 07:57 PM
The only thing you really need to watch out for is the man in the grey suit.