PDA

View Full Version : RAND: Defense growing gradually

C-Mac
04-03-2007, 08:23 PM
RAND: Defense growing gradually
Apr 03, 2007, 3:42:05 AM by Jonathan Rand - FAQ

Chiefs fans should feel good about linebacker Kawika Mitchellís one-year, $1 million free agent-contract with the Giants.

That signing means that a solid player who gave the Chiefs everything he had has landed on his feet. And it underscores Herm Edwardsí commitment to upgrading his defense.

Mitchellís 118 tackles were 31 more than any other Chiefs defender made last year. In the Chiefsí Tampa Two defense, the middle linebacker is supposed to be the leading tackler because so much of the action gets funneled his way. Still, Mitchell was productive and itís doubtful anyone would have knocked Edwards had he left that position alone.

Middle linebacker, after all, wasnít an obvious problem area, like defensive tackle or weak-side linebacker. Edwards, however, wanted a middle linebacker who could cover more ground than Mitchell and signed Napoleon Harris, a former Viking.

Given the Chiefsí defensive struggles of recent years, these signings are especially significant. When the Chiefsí defense ranked at or near the bottom of the league throughout the Dick Vermeil era, they signed free agents to plug gaping holes. Mitchell, a second-round pick in 2003, was one of their better defensive acquisitions, and started a dozen games in his second season.

Ideally, a team fills a key need by drafting an impact player who stars for a decade. A team would like every free-agent signing to bring as much of an upgrade as the Chiefs achieved by signing ex-Charger Donnie Edwards to replace right outside linebacker Kendrell Bell.

More often, however, upgrades come in increments. If you have a solid player, you try and replace him with someone better than solid or more suitable for your scheme. But you still keep looking for that Pro Bowl-caliber player who might some day help you win a championship.

The Chiefs have taken an incremental approach at several positions. Left tackle Damion McIntosh isnít the Pro Bowler that Willie Roaf was before his retirement last summer but heís an upgrade over Jordan Black. And Black received a two-year, $3.5 million contract from the Houston Texans, validating his improvement last season. Former Bears backup Alfonso Boone is projected as an upgrade at defensive tackle, though we can expect Edwards to keep shopping there.

Itís always an endorsement of a teamís talent when rivals want its free agents, especially those below the level of must-keep players like tight end Tony Gonzalez and running back Larry Johnson. Itís an even better sign when a team signs new players it believes will outperform those who have the credentials to catch on elsewhere.

Because of free agency, itís rare these days to see team fielding a lineup loaded with Pro Bowlers. More often, a Super Bowl contender has a handful of marquee players, a bunch of players a cut below the Pro Bowl level and solid players completing the lineup.

The Chiefs had no Pro Bowlers on defense last season, so Edwards is building from the bottom up. He should, however, see some breakthrough seasons from his young ends and safeties.

For better or worse, the Chiefsí defense now has fewer big questions to answer than the offense. The strength of the offense lies with Gonzalez and Johnson. The strength of the defense may be that itís wiping out its weaknesses.

milkman
04-03-2007, 08:26 PM
I justed wasted a whole ****ing minute on that tripe.

Direckshun
04-03-2007, 08:27 PM
Meh.

C-Mac
04-03-2007, 08:28 PM
Offseason

DJ's left nut
04-03-2007, 08:42 PM
We're absolutely certain that GoChiefs didn't write that?

What a load of crap that was. There's just too much nonsense in that article to even know where to begin.

Evidently the fact that the Patriots signed Warfield and Biesel over the last 2 seasons proves that our defense was actually far better than foolish stats like 'points against'. It's all about how badly teams want your castaways.

CoMoChief
04-03-2007, 08:48 PM
Blah Blah Blah. Could have summed this up with...

Dick Vermeil ****ed this team over with his shitty draft picks and Herm is replacing them with people who can actually play football.

Douche Baggins
04-03-2007, 08:49 PM
We're absolutely certain that GoChiefs didn't write that?

That was mean. I'm a good writer.

boogblaster
04-03-2007, 08:55 PM
Play ball gentlemen ....the red-team defendes the west-goal ....

Crashride
04-03-2007, 10:53 PM
Rand mentioned willie roaf does that mean hes coming back??

OctoberFart
04-03-2007, 10:56 PM
I can say Oak does have a better D than the Queefs though.

Bugeater
04-03-2007, 11:06 PM
Great. Now can you say go die a fiery death, troll?

crazycoffey
04-03-2007, 11:12 PM

and I can say I just won the lottery and became a millionaire, do you believe me?

OctoberFart
04-03-2007, 11:14 PM
and I can say I just won the lottery and became a millionaire, do you believe me?
No but you can look up the stats. Now saying better than KC's D isn't saying much although they have improved a little under the Edwards guidance.

CHIEF4EVER
04-03-2007, 11:23 PM
No but you can look up the stats. Now saying better than KC's D isn't saying much although they have improved a little under the Edwards guidance.

The only thing you turds were better at was giving up the ass on demand. LMAO

blueballs
04-04-2007, 01:18 AM
Augratin wind which blows on low
smells like three day dead old ho

Hydrae
04-04-2007, 07:03 AM
I love how having team sign your former starting middle linebacker to a measly 1 year $1 million contract validates something. All it tells me is that he is a marginal player at best and has a good chance to be a backup. :shake:

Direckshun
04-04-2007, 07:20 AM
Well to a certain extent, he's right. People are signing our rejects.

Sammy Knight will land somewhere.
Black and Walls found a home, although I have no idea how.
Mitchell was signed.
Welsey's getting ready to pack his bags in a trade.
Green's being bid on by at least three different teams.
James Reed is one of the best commodities left at DT.

So playing for the Chiefs must look good on your resume or something.

Direckshun
04-04-2007, 07:22 AM
I love how having team sign your former starting middle linebacker to a measly 1 year $1 million contract validates something. All it tells me is that he is a marginal player at best and has a good chance to be a backup. :shake:
Actually, I think he's starting for them. He's going to be waaaay out of position in New York, though. They're putting him in at OLB.