PDA

View Full Version : I am new to cell phones can someone help!

chief4life
04-04-2007, 07:56 AM
I have no clue what is the best cell phone company out there verizon, t-mobile sprint. I just want a cell phone that has good coverage any suggestions would be helpful. Also there is a service out there called cricket wireless is that a good service or are they crap?

Mr. Plow
04-04-2007, 08:29 AM
I'm with Sprint. Never had any problems and get generally good coverage in all major US cities.

Free Roaming for $5/month
Nights starting at 7p I think
Bill runs me about $65.00/month or so and I never go over my minutes. I've got a "shared plan" with my brother in law that gives us like 2,000 anytime minutes.

I'm sure you can get similar deals with the other major companies, but I've always had Sprint and never had any problems.

percysnow
04-04-2007, 08:36 AM
new to cell phones???? its 2007, but to answer ur question it is different in different areas. . .from my experience verizon is the best

Baconeater
04-04-2007, 10:30 AM
They all pretty much suck IMO. They rope you into a contract, then give you shitty service and there's not a damn thing you can do about it. Cricket's not bad if you stay in your local area most of the time, but it's worthless when you're travelling. I've been using a TracFone for the past couple years, it works fine for me, but I don't recommend one if you are planning to use it a lot.

Phobia
04-04-2007, 10:41 AM
I've had both Verizon and Sprint in Kansas City.

There's no comparison.

Verizon is 50x better than Sprint - IN KC.

I had Sprint for 7 years in Houston and they were awesome there. But they're pretty bad in KC.

JimNasium
04-04-2007, 10:43 AM
I've had nothing but bad luck with Sprint. My contract is up and I'm getting ready to make a switch.

Mr. Plow
04-04-2007, 10:45 AM
I've had both Verizon and Sprint in Kansas City.

There's no comparison.

Verizon is 50x better than Sprint - IN KC.

I had Sprint for 7 years in Houston and they were awesome there. But they're pretty bad in KC.

I've heard Sprint is bad in KC. When I lived there, I didn't have them so I can't comment.

Where I live - South Central KS - I have had no problems.

journeyscarab
04-04-2007, 10:45 AM
Never had a problem with Sprint in Kansas City at all. It helps to keep the PRL updates current on your phone otherwise you wont be hitting a new towers as they come on line.

Like your PC's and MACs your phone software needs to be updated every so often so you get the benefit of new services, fixes to your phones firmware and any new towers that are added.

Phobia
04-04-2007, 10:48 AM
Never had a problem with Sprint in Kansas City at all. It helps to keep the PRL updates current on your phone otherwise you wont be hitting a new towers as they come on line.

Like your PC's and MACs your phone software needs to be updated every so often so you get the benefit of new services, fixes to your phones firmware and any new towers that are added.

Yeah, I did that all the time. I went around and around with Sprint trying to fix my problems for several months. They couldn't and they finally let me out of my contract. They even had the audacity to ask for $240 for me breaking the contract. I told them thanks, but that I wasn't going to pay anything else to them.

stlchiefs
04-04-2007, 10:51 AM
NEVER get Sprint in KC (amazing with their headquarters there). Verizon is the way to go in KC. Good coverage compared to constant dropped calls with Verizon. Be sure to get a phone like this:

Ecto-I
04-04-2007, 10:51 AM
I've had a cell phone for five years and have been with Verizon since the beginning. I've had no problems and have found the customer service to be very helpful.

Cochise
04-04-2007, 10:53 AM
I had Sprint in Kansas City for 4-5 years. Never had any problems at all beyond a rare drop. I don't know where everyone else was located, but I had good service everywhere in the city I went.

I've had Cingular now for about 2 years, and I can say without any reservation that Sprint was better. With Sprint I almost never lost a call or had poor call quality, had coverage anywhere in the city I went, etc. With Cingular I get many more drops and see a lot more 'holes'. Of course there are a lot of factors there, probably most importantly your phone.

With Sprint, sometimes someone would leave me a voicemail and the notification wouldn't show up for a few hours. That pissed me off. Then I went to Cingular and have the same problem.

Neither of them I have found to be bad - people who expect not to have any issues at all with a wireless phone are not being realistic.

Cingular hasn't pissed me off or anything, but I think if I were at the end of a service agreement I'd be likely to go back to Sprint.

Mr. Plow
04-04-2007, 10:54 AM
You're going to find issues with whatever company you go with. There is no lesser of two evils.

journeyscarab
04-04-2007, 10:56 AM
NEVER get Sprint in KC (amazing with their headquarters there). Verizon is the way to go in KC. Good coverage compared to constant dropped calls with Verizon. Be sure to get a phone like this:

Check your sentence here...looks like I should go with Verizon eventhough Verizon is constantly dropping calls. ROFL

Also...is that Verizons new "Invisible Phone"? Maybe the reason there are so many dropped calls - no phone to receive them. ROFL

Just razzing ya...

Phobia
04-04-2007, 10:58 AM
For those of you posting your experiences please share which city you're in so we can make a distinction.

Mr. Plow
04-04-2007, 10:59 AM
I'm in Mmmmmmm......Forbidden Donut.

journeyscarab
For those of you posting your experiences please share which city you're in so we can make a distinction.

Overland Park, KS. Just down the street from the Sprint Headquarters. I get great signal citywide, countywide and throughout Kansas.

JBucc
I use Cingular, and they have pretty good coverage in C. AR but apparently not so hot up there. They're all I've ever used so I couldn't tell you about anything else. It's kinda like cable and satellite companies, they all have their problems.

morphius
04-04-2007, 11:00 AM
Pretty much look at the type of locations you are going to be in, if you are going to be in rural areas some phone companies have better coverage, if you are going to be in major cities all the time, then probably just look for the one that will get you the best deal for the shortest contract, making sure to pay attention to roaming rates.

NewChief
04-04-2007, 11:02 AM
I use Cingular, and they have pretty good coverage in C. AR but apparently not so hot up there. They're all I've ever used so I couldn't tell you about anything else. It's kinda like cable and satellite companies, they all have their problems.

I use Cingular as well in Arkansas. It does fine. When I'm in Kansas City at Chiefs games, I can rarely make a phone call on game day at Arrowhead. Maybe that has nothing to do with the carrier, though. I've never had any other problems in KC, though, but I don't use it that often when I'm there.

rageeumr
04-04-2007, 11:05 AM
Anything but Nextel. I know I am risking Neg Rep from Slag here, but I have it through work and it's terrible. If I paid for it myself I'd be gone tomorrow.

wutamess
04-04-2007, 11:05 AM
I'm in K.C. I've only had Sprint.
I've experienced the occassional dropped calls and the occasional dead spots.

But I've noticed that with a newer phone some of those dead spots weren't so dead anymore... (maybe it's the PRL updates).

My mother just switched from VZ to Sprint. She hates the switch.
However... she'd always ask to borrow my phone when we're down at the Lake of The Ozarks as her VZ phone wouldn't let her call out in some of the more rural areas. My Sprint phones have always worked like a charm.

So there you have it. We're both in KC.
If you're gonna go Sprint... Might wanna check out this thread... (discounted plan)

http://www.fatwallet.com/
search for sero in their hot deals forum.

morphius
04-04-2007, 11:06 AM
I use Cingular as well in Arkansas. It does fine. When I'm in Kansas City at Chiefs games, I can rarely make a phone call on game day at Arrowhead. Maybe that has nothing to do with the carrier, though. I've never had any other problems in KC, though, but I don't use it that often when I'm there.
My guess is that Cingular hasn't built up their capacity to handle that many people at the game. Sprint didn't for a while, but the last few times it has worked perfect for me.

journeyscarab
04-04-2007, 11:18 AM
Here is Sprint's coverage tool. Its pretty easy to navigate and you can see where they are adding new towers or where one was recently added.

http://coverage.sprintpcs.com/IMPACT.jsp?ATR_ExtraOne=PERSONAL_Coverage

BigMeatballDave
04-04-2007, 11:26 AM
Well, all cellular carriers are evil. I have Verizon. Your quality of service depends on your location.

Phobia
04-04-2007, 11:38 AM
FWIW, I'm all about supporting local business whenever possible. I'd love to go back to Sprint but their service was unacceptable. When I stop hearing horrible stories about dropped calls, missed calls, and dead zones I'll switch back.

stlchiefs
04-04-2007, 11:45 AM
Here is Sprint's coverage tool. Its pretty easy to navigate and you can see where they are adding new towers or where one was recently added.

http://coverage.sprintpcs.com/IMPACT.jsp?ATR_ExtraOne=PERSONAL_Coverage

Coverage Maps don't mean chit, read what Sprint (and all carriers for that matter) say about their coverage map:
"Our coverage maps provide high level estimates of our coverage areas when using your device outdoors under optimal conditions. Coverage isn't available everywhere. Estimating wireless coverage and signal strength is not an exact science.
There are gaps in coverage within our estimated coverage areas."

I lived just south of the Plaza for 4 years and couldn't even use my Sprint phone in my house. I had to go outside to use it. Everyone that I knew switched to Verizon when their plans were up.

the Talking Can
04-04-2007, 11:48 AM
t-mobile national....no problems around cities, a little sketchy on highways...all in all, no complaints

DaFace
04-04-2007, 11:49 AM
If you're gonna go Sprint... Might wanna check out this thread... (discounted plan)

http://www.fatwallet.com/
search for sero in their hot deals forum.

I can vouch for the fact that that plan works. My fiancee and I are both on the SERO plan at this point. It's like 500 anytime minutes, unlimited nights/weekends starting at 7pm, unlimited calling to other SprintPCS users, and unlimited Vision (internet). $30 per line covers the whole thing, and you can add on 300 text messages a month for $5 extra if that's your thing. My bill hasn't been above $68 with taxes since.

journeyscarab
04-04-2007, 11:50 AM
Coverage Maps don't mean chit, read what Sprint (and all carriers for that matter) say about their coverage map:
"Our coverage maps provide high level estimates of our coverage areas when using your device outdoors under optimal conditions. Coverage isn't available everywhere. Estimating wireless coverage and signal strength is not an exact science.
There are gaps in coverage within our estimated coverage areas."

I lived just south of the Plaza for 4 years and couldn't even use my Sprint phone in my house. I had to go outside to use it. Everyone that I knew switched to Verizon when their plans were up.

That's fine. I get it, you are a Verizon homer. :rolleyes:

Joie
04-04-2007, 11:55 AM
Sprint sucks. I had them when I lived in Iowa. The coverage was fine as long as I was near the interstate, but as soon as I went anywhere else I was either roaming or completely dead. And they have horrible customer service.

morphius
04-04-2007, 11:59 AM
I think some of the phone companies will let you borrow a phone to test them out, might not be a bad idea to test where you work and at home at least.

BigMeatballDave
04-04-2007, 12:08 PM
I think some of the phone companies will let you borrow a phone to test them out, might not be a bad idea to test where you work and at home at least.That is correct. Verizon has a 30-day trial, I believe.

Cochise
04-04-2007, 12:14 PM
Sprint sucks. I had them when I lived in Iowa. The coverage was fine as long as I was near the interstate, but as soon as I went anywhere else I was either roaming or completely dead. And they have horrible customer service.

They got cellphones in Iowa?

:p

Joie
04-04-2007, 12:21 PM

Cellphones yes. Decent coverage no.

crazycoffey
04-04-2007, 12:23 PM

http://mud.mm-a8.yimg.com/image/4062137492 (http://images.search.yahoo.com/search/images/view?back=http%3A%2F%2Fimages.search.yahoo.com%2Fsearch%2Fimages%3Fp%3Dcans%2Band%2Bstring%26fr%3Dyf p-t-501%26toggle%3D1%26cop%3Dmss%26ei%3DUTF-8&w=288&h=246&imgurl=www.fs.fed.us%2Fr3%2Fasnf%2Fsalvage%2Flocal-resources%2Fimages%2Fcans.jpg&rurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.fs.fed.us%2Fr3%2Fasnf%2Fsalvage%2Fcontact%2Findex.shtml&size=38.6kB&name=cans.jpg&p=cans+and+string&type=jpeg&no=8&tt=345&oid=082b0961a9e815bc&ei=UTF-8)

Joie
04-04-2007, 12:29 PM
My brother's still in Iowa. He's happy with his phone but he uses more a more local company.

bkkcoh
04-04-2007, 12:48 PM
We have had Verizon for about 10 years, I know even before it was Verizon. We haven't had any big issues at all.

If there have been billing problems, they have been resolved quickly.

Can't complain at all.

Silock
04-04-2007, 03:33 PM
I've had Sprint in Nashville, Kansas City and Kentucky and never had any problems whatsoever with them.

I used the Sprint SERO plan (See the above posting for it), and got a Samsung A900M and the unlimited data plan for $30/mo. Free internet, and 500 anytime minutes with all calls to other Sprint phones free. It works very well for me.

100% recommended.

Many times people claim to have problems with their carrier, but it's many times the fault of the phone.

Demonpenz
04-04-2007, 03:36 PM
if you are going to use it for business I wouldn't use sprint.

crazycoffey
04-04-2007, 04:10 PM
I have no clue what is the best cell phone company out there verizon, t-mobile sprint. I just want a cell phone that has good coverage any suggestions would be helpful. Also there is a service out there called cricket wireless is that a good service or are they crap?

I want to see the rest of the video from your signature, it's been messing with me everytime I come on here, I want her.......

stlchiefs
04-04-2007, 04:31 PM
I'm with ya there, but the people sitting behind me in the library already think I'm a big enough perv as it is. So hell with it, let's see them tatas