PDA

View Full Version : NFB(or Green)T: Tom Clancy books

Zebedee DuBois
03-16-2001, 07:39 PM
I've always liked Tom Clancy books, and finished reading his latest "The Bear and the Dragon" about a month ago. While the story was pretty good, I noticed that Clancy sure could have used an Editor. Several passages were repeated nearly word for word by separate characters. Maybe, Clancy has gotten too "big" for his works to be reviewed by an editor.

Any other readers out there?

Raiderhader
03-16-2001, 08:00 PM
I love Clancy's work. The Bear and the Dragon ranks as one of my top three favorites, which also includes Hunt for Red October and The Cardinal in the Kremlin.

If you like spy/war novels I would also suggest The Rogue Warrior - Dick Marcinko. He is the oone responsible for creating SEAL Team Six. He does not go into quite as much detail as Clancy, and has a lot more action. This guy is a real life John Wayne. I strongly reccomend his autobiography, and then his fiction works to find out about some of his other missions that he can only tell you about in a fiction format.

kcred
03-16-2001, 08:25 PM
I have read all of Tom Clancey's books, at least as far as the Jack Ryan character. His latest has been on my bookshelf for over two months, and have been just waiting for the righ weekend to start, maybe tomorrow. I didn't think much of his Netforce book that I read though.

Zebedee DuBois
03-16-2001, 08:30 PM
I think I've read 'em all too.
When I read one of those "Tom Clancy's Op-center" books a few years back, I noticed the quality was way down. Then I realized that he didn't write those, just has his name on the cover to help sales. I generally steer clear of those now. Perhaps the Netforce books are the same deal.

RJ
03-16-2001, 08:44 PM
I lost interest in Clancy when his books started reading like he knew they would become movies. The settings and dialog seemed to me to be designed with a viewer in mind rather than a reader. I think it happened somewhere around Patriot Games. Did enjoy Rainbow 6, though. Same faults, but I liked the story.

Zebedee DuBois
03-16-2001, 08:53 PM
Well, I think the end of the cold war didn't do him any good. He was too invested mentally in that situation, and everything since has required the reader to go along with the pretense (sort of like you do for sci-fi)

Logical
03-16-2001, 09:36 PM
Clancy is clearly one of my favorite authors along with Cussler, Dale Brown, Crichton, Coonts, Grisham (well never mind their are over 15 authors that write in similar style that I have read everything they have ever written). But Clancy's books are heads and tails above all others except Cussler though we are talking different approaches. Interesting that you mention op-center and net-center books they use different primary creators Pieczenik and Greenburg for the latest "Power Plays" series with Clancy providing advice and some input and of course his name for selling power. This reportedly is similar too how Clancy got his start. He wrote part of some of the Cussler novels (though he did not even get his name mentioned) so supposedly he is giving back by helping others get off the ground.

By the way the op-center series gets better as the series has progressed. I like the net center charachters but the plot lines are too contrived and the quality just is not robust (but with my voracious reading appetite I read them anyway as filler until one of my favorite authors puts out another book). The Power Plays books are of a better quality than the -center books but still not true Tom Clancy, however I would recommend them more than the -center series.

KCWolfman
03-16-2001, 10:31 PM
To be honest, I really like Clancy, but I wonder why he exploited Jack Ryan when he had a much better character in John Clark.

Without Remorse is my favorite well over any others of his I have read.

I am in the middle of Red Storm Rising and ready to start Debt of Honor.

KevB
03-16-2001, 11:51 PM
I've read (I believe) all of them, and Debt of Honor is my favorite with Without Remorse being a close second. It's not very often that I'm excited about tearing through a 1,000 page book, but I get through Clancy's in a couple of weeks (a few too many late nights). The Bear and the Dragon was decent. I am intrigued with the level of technology he describes, and wonder if the information in his books is anywhere close to the truth.

Mass-Chief-Fan
03-18-2001, 07:06 PM
This is my first post on this board. I find it to have less repetition than the other board. I've read all Clancy's novels & "Without Remorse" is the best w/ "Rainbow Six" a close second. I read most of the Op-Center books & they're okay but I avoid all his other co-written books.

Alton deFlat
03-19-2001, 07:26 AM
I've read all of his novels also. My favorite would have to be Debt of Honor, although The Sum of All Fears was close behind. I agree with you that the Op-Center, Politika, Power Plays, etc books are not as interesting. IMO, the Op-Center series is the better one. The one fiction he released (name I can't think of right now) about submarine warfare, was pretty good. He may not have written it either, but it was interesting.

nmt1
03-19-2001, 10:44 AM
I just got done reading "Every Man A Tiger". It a great non-fictional narrative on the air campaign portion of the Gulf War with interjections from General Chuck Horner who reported directly to Schwarzcopf and ran the air campaign.
It is a little slow in the middle but very enlightening with information on people that played major roles in the Gulf including: Colin Powell, Schwarzcopf, Dick Cheney, and their Saudi counterparts.
Also, it goes into great detail regarding the structure of the Air Force and has a good section on the Vietnam air campaign. I would recommend it if you have any interest in the military and recent conflicts involving the US.

PACHIEFSFAN
03-19-2001, 06:33 PM
I too have read all of the "Ryan" novels. However, I think the Red Storm Rising is by far the best. The action was quick paced, going from one scene to the other. This really kept my interest. I think it only took me a week to read it, couldn't put it down. Without Remorse is my second best, followed by Hunt for Red October.

Phobia
03-19-2001, 06:59 PM
I stopped buying him when he co-authored that book about a Dessert Storm tank battalion. I got through about 1/4th of it and couldn't maintain interest. Was that Into the Storm?

Has he put out any others since?

Phobia
03-19-2001, 06:59 PM
Logical,

Your tastes in fiction are virtually identical to mine. Have you read any W.E.B. Griffin?

Raiderhader
03-19-2001, 07:02 PM
KPhobia,
I belive that was a non-fiction book about war stratagy. I wouldn't have been able to stay with it either. I am not real sure when that came out, so I can't say what books exactly have come out since then but some have.

Logical
03-19-2001, 07:37 PM
KPhobia,

Not yet, but a guy here at work suggest I go out and get the "Lieutenants" to get started. So as soon as I finish Dale Browns latest paperback and the Robert Crais book that another guy suggested I try I will be reading my first Web Griffin book. Do you agree that "Lieutenants" is a good one to start with?

Phobia
03-19-2001, 07:48 PM
Being a Marine, I prefer his Marine Corps series. The Brotherhood of War series begins with The Lt's and is quite entertaining as well. That would be a good place to wet your appetite. His police series isn't bad but I much prefer his war storytelling.

Zebedee DuBois
03-26-2001, 05:39 PM
Come on guys!
I really thought the people on this board would have raved about Clancy's "Sum of all Fears".
After all, if memory serves, this story included the Super Bowl being nuked by terrorists.
The Super Bowl site was Denver's new Stadium.
One of the SB contestants were the Chargers.

How could any Chiefs Fan not have a warm spot in his heart for this tale. :D