PDA

View Full Version : Browns Step Up Effort for Green

Count Zarth
04-05-2007, 01:15 PM
http://chiefs.scout.com/2/633008.html

With a little more than two weeks left before the 2007 NFL Draft, it appears the Chiefs have two bona-fide participants in the Trent Green sweepstakes. The Miami Dolphins appeared to be the front-runner but now the Cleveland Browns have made public their interest in the Chiefs former starting quarterback.

On Thursday morning, Browns General Manager Phil Savage went on record with the Cantonrep (an Ohio-area newspaper) that he would step up his efforts to contact Greenís agent, Jim Steiner.

According to the article, Savage has informed his two incumbent quarterbacks, Charlie Frye and Chiefs-killer Derek Anderson, itís a real possibility Green will be a Brown before the draft.

Savage understands the Dolphins are a real player for Green and Kansas City is looking for a first-day draft pick in exchange for the veteran. Those two items donít seem to be issues preventing Savage from moving forward.

At the same time, this could be a smokescreen from the Browns. Savage is an astute GM and itís not beyond him to play this one up in the media to throw teams like Oakland, Tampa Bay and Miami off in their pursuit of one of the young quarterbacks. They Browns plan on taking a serious look at LSUís JaMarcus Russell and Notre Dameís Brady Quinn when theyíre on the clock with the third overall pick later this month Ė if they donít trade out of that spot in the next couple weeks.

Meanwhile, the Chiefs couldnít be in a better spot in their attempt to acquire a first-day draft pick for Green. General Manager Carl Peterson has been steadfast in his demands with Miami and Cleveland.

The Dolphins initially offered a seventh-round pick, but that was rejected, as was the sixth-round pick offered earlier this week.

Now the Chiefs can play both teams against each other, knowing that if one of them flinches, the other could follow. Peterson has informed the Dolphins he wonít settle for anything less than a second-round pick, but our guess is the Chiefs will take a fourth-rounder as they lack one this year.

The Chiefs have already begun their offseason workouts and Green has reported, but donít read too much into that, because Green is still a member of the Chiefs. Itís entirely possible the team could change their mind about giving Brodie Croyle the opportunity to start this year.

But the chances of that are slim. The Trent Green saga may be coming to an end soon.

Gravedigger
04-05-2007, 01:43 PM
Good stuff can't believe that the draft is so close I can't wait!

chop
04-05-2007, 01:53 PM

The Chiefs have already begun their offseason workouts and Green has reported, but donít read too much into that, because Green is still a member of the Chiefs. Itís entirely possible the team could change their mind about giving Brodie Croyle the opportunity to start this year.

I don't understand this paragraph.

I feel dirty now that I have read a Nick "The Erroneous One" Athan article. I am going to take a shower now.

Cochise
04-05-2007, 01:55 PM
Nick Athan is reporting that the Browns have offered us 7 second round picks for Green's services.

chop
04-05-2007, 02:04 PM

At the same time, this could be a smokescreen from the Browns. Savage is an astute GM and itís not beyond him to play this one up in the media to throw teams like Oakland, Tampa Bay and Miami off in their pursuit of one of the young quarterbacks. They Browns plan on taking a serious look at LSUís JaMarcus Russell and Notre Dameís Brady Quinn when theyíre on the clock with the third overall pick later this month Ė if they donít trade out of that spot in the next couple weeks.

What does Oakland care if the Browns are putting up a smokescreen in their efforts to get Green?

Count Zarth
04-05-2007, 02:04 PM
What does Oakland care if the Browns are putting up a smokescreen in their efforts to get Green?

Oakland may trade down.

tomahawk kid
04-05-2007, 02:08 PM
Nick "The Erroneous One" Athan is reporting that the Browns have offered us 7 second round picks for Green's services.

Bullshit.

el borracho
04-05-2007, 02:12 PM
The Dolphins offerred us a 6th round pick this week? Still not acceptable but that is news to me. Was this reported somewhere and I just missed it?

chop
04-05-2007, 02:21 PM
Bullshit.

you think :rolleyes::D

ct
04-05-2007, 02:22 PM
REPOST

I expected better from you GoChiefs, really.

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=160809