PDA

View Full Version : Mouse virus??

Mile High Mania
04-05-2007, 02:45 PM
Ok, I have a Dell Latitude D610 and my cursor does some weird shit.

It happens when I'm using the track mouse, the pad or connecting a mouse to my laptop.

Sometimes it seems like the mouse has a life of it's own and will float away to the top right or bottom left corner of my screen. Sometimes it will take me 15 seconds to essentially regain control and get the mouse back to where I can actually use it.

I had called Dell support, but they suck and couldn't point to a hardware or a software problem.

Is there such a thing as a mouse/cursor virus and if so, how can I get this fixed?

DaFace
04-05-2007, 02:50 PM
Weird issue, but I doubt it's actually any kind of a virus. I could see it being either hardware or software. Since replacing a trackpad would be a major pain in the ass, I'd try updating the driver for the trackpad first. Go to Dell's support area and download the most recent driver. If you have trouble figuring out which one, let me know and I'll see if I can help ya out.

ROYC75
04-05-2007, 02:59 PM
Mine does that........ it's a dirty mouse is what I was told.

Personally, I don't know, it only does it once in a while.

Hammock Parties
04-05-2007, 03:03 PM
Sounds like faulty motherboard drivers, or the motherboard itself.

Baby Lee
04-05-2007, 03:28 PM
Pour some antifreeze on it. [groan]

Miles
04-05-2007, 10:30 PM
My mouse on my desktop does that too. Drives me crazy and I can't seem to figure it out.

kcxiv
04-05-2007, 11:29 PM
http://www.38studios.com/

Put your cursor over Munch.

htismaqe
04-06-2007, 07:15 AM
It's a common problem with Dell laptops. It's a motherboard issue, the mobo will have to be replaced.

the Talking Can
04-06-2007, 08:13 AM
happens on my Dell Latitude as well....I just suffer it

Codered
04-06-2007, 09:36 AM
As an IT guy that supports an office with over 200 laptops. We are finally getting away from Dell. Anyways we had a model that did this constantly. Come to find out there was problems with the cable that connected the keyboard and palm rest together. The heat would cause the cursor to "wander" sometimes it would get so bad you had to shut the laptop down and let it cool off.

If you replaced the keyboard it was fine. Though we haven't had this problem happen on our D600 line yet.

htismaqe
04-06-2007, 09:39 AM
As an IT guy that supports an office with over 200 laptops. We are finally getting away from Dell. Anyways we had a model that did this constantly. Come to find out there was problems with the cable that connected the keyboard and palm rest together. The heat would cause the cursor to "wander" sometimes it would get so bad you had to shut the laptop down and let it cool off.

If you replaced the keyboard it was fine. Though we haven't had this problem happen on our D600 line yet.

It happens on the D600's here. It's caused by a lead that connects the center pointing stick to the mobo.

Codered
04-06-2007, 09:42 AM
It happens on the D600's here. It's caused by a lead that connects the center pointing stick to the mobo.

That makes sense. We are replacing all of our D600's with HP laptops. I am sure glad we missed that issue. The C600 line was bad enough!

htismaqe
04-06-2007, 09:49 AM
They've been telling us for 8 months that we're replacing the D600's. I've heard both Lenovo(IBM) and HP mentioned.

I really hope they decide to go HP.

The Chiefs Dude
04-06-2007, 10:43 AM
It does that all the time to me on my Dell laptop. It gets really annoying.