PDA

View Full Version : Holtus on Jock 98.7

Woodrow Call
04-05-2007, 06:08 PM
Only caught about half of it but thought I'd pass along the info I heard.

In the draft he thought the Chiefs will take the best CB available or DT in round 1. Said the Chiefs were high on Revis. Also said that if Ginn falls to 23 the Chiefs might take him due to his explosiveness at WR and at PR/KR.

On offense the Chiefs will try to beat opponents with talent not by fancy shifts and tricky formations. That is the changes Herm is talking about.

McIntosh was a great addition and big upgrade over Black.

Shields still hadn't made up his mind but that Wiegman is working out and will probably be back. Also said Wiegman will have to fight for his job.

Non Chiefs stuff...

Said Spoonhour would be a great hire for UMKC.

Felt Huggins didn't want to go but he couldn't pass up the chance to go to WVU again. Thinks it could get ugly between KSU and recruits wanting out of their LOI.

Count Alex's Wins
04-05-2007, 06:09 PM
On offense the Chiefs will try to beat opponents with talent not by fancy shifts and tricky formations. That is the changes Herm is talking about.

Disturbing.

Mr. Plow
04-05-2007, 06:11 PM

Sooooooo.....it's gonna be can you stop our running back?

the Talking Can
04-05-2007, 06:17 PM
I'm crying inside all the time since Herm arrived.

Count Alex's Wins
04-05-2007, 06:18 PM
I'll be pissed if we draft a corner in round 1.

the Talking Can
04-05-2007, 06:19 PM

I'll be more pissed if we draft a DT.

I'm going to assume this is a smokescreen.

Count Alex's Wins
04-05-2007, 06:20 PM
I'll be more pissed if we draft a DT.

I'm going to assume this is a smokescreen.

That's what I was thinking. And yes, there's only two DTs worth drafting at #23.

homey
04-05-2007, 06:22 PM
O line should be our priority in the draft and when in the hell did we do some shifting to throw off the opposing defense?

Count Alex's Wins
04-05-2007, 06:23 PM
when in the hell did we do some shifting to throw off the opposing defense?

We did it less last year than in past years but we still did it. There's no excuse for the formation garbage. That's basic offensive football. I certainly hope Herm isn't planning to play I-formation football the entire year. That would suck.

the Talking Can
04-05-2007, 06:24 PM
That's what I was thinking. And yes, there's only two DTs worth drafting at #23.

curious who you think they are

seems the conscencus is that there isn't much first round quality after Branch....oh yeah, and that guy from Nebraska

Count Alex's Wins
04-05-2007, 06:27 PM
curious who you think they are

seems the conscencus is that there isn't much first round quality after Branch....oh yeah, and that guy from Nebraska

Okoye.

Chiefless
04-05-2007, 06:27 PM
"Quote:
Originally Posted by Archie Bunker

Very gunther-esque

the Talking Can
04-05-2007, 06:30 PM
Okoye.

oh, would be nice...and a miracle

Mr. Laz
04-05-2007, 06:31 PM
:banghead: :banghead:

guess what Herm ... you retard ... the talent level for players is so close in the NFL these days that if you don't give your players some sort of advantage through scheming, they are going to LOOK less talented.

therefore you're always going to be chasing "talent" when in reality you aren't making good enough use of your existing talent.

dumbass :mad:

Coach
04-05-2007, 06:41 PM
We did it less last year than in past years but we still did it. There's no excuse for the formation garbage. That's basic offensive football. I certainly hope Herm isn't planning to play I-formation football the entire year. That would suck.

Actually, I wouldn't be surprised if that did actually happen. I mean, it IS Herm Edwards after all.

Reerun_KC
04-05-2007, 06:45 PM

This should be the title of the message board!

Outfreaking standing!!!

Rep to you!

htismaqe
04-05-2007, 07:02 PM
"Quote:
Originally Posted by Archie Bunker

Very gunther-esque

That's vintage Marty.

They call is smashmouth for a reason.

Frazod
04-05-2007, 07:13 PM
If we draft anything other than an offensive lineman or wide receiver in the first round, somebody needs to DIE. :#

Messier
04-05-2007, 07:14 PM
I like it. As I see it a "safer" offense is the best way for this team to win games.

Mr. Laz
04-05-2007, 07:16 PM
That's vintage Marty.

They call is smashmouth for a reason.
but it's NOT martyball

FAX

ROFL

Misery loves company, Mr. the Talking Can.

And, I moved in last fall.

FAX

Mr. Laz
I like it. As I see it a "safer" offense is the best way for this team to win games.
all safer does is get you kicked in the nuts

htismaqe
04-05-2007, 07:29 PM
but it's NOT martyball

It wasn't until about game 12, but it certainly was after that.

Messier
04-05-2007, 07:30 PM
all safer does is get you kicked in the nuts

I disagree.

FAX
04-05-2007, 07:41 PM
Not to be an alarmist, Mr. Messier. But, disagreeing can get you kicked in the nuts as well.

FAX

Mr. Laz
04-05-2007, 07:43 PM
I disagree.
so i'll put you into the "it's all because we lost willie roaf" department.

we'll see

Coogs
04-05-2007, 07:47 PM

That is how the Colts do it. Harrison on the right. Wayne on the left. Manning reads how many are in the box and calls the play.

HemiEd
04-05-2007, 07:54 PM
Disturbing.

Herm and offense in the same paragraph is disturbing.

Toad
04-05-2007, 07:55 PM
"...the Chiefs will take the best CB available or DT in round 1."

I would hope the best DT thing is a smokescreen. There is no way Branch or Okoye are available to us. Any other DT in R1 would be a complete joke. I would hope R1 is best available player period.

"On offense the Chiefs will try to beat opponents with talent..."

Yikes!

"Wiegman will have to fight for his job."

I'm wondering who he would be fighting it for, Bober?

HemiEd
04-05-2007, 07:57 PM
:banghead: :banghead:

guess what Herm ... you retard ... the talent level for players is so close in the NFL these days that if you don't give your players some sort of advantage through scheming, they are going to LOOK less talented.

therefore you're always going to be chasing "talent" when in reality you aren't making good enough use of your existing talent.

dumbass :mad:

yep, I hope it is another smoke screen and Brodie turns into Dan Fouts..

htismaqe
04-05-2007, 08:00 PM

I'm guessing Niswanger.

milkman

I would hope the best DT thing is a smokescreen. There is no way Branch or Okoye are available to us. Any other DT in R1 would be a complete joke. I would hope R1 is best available player period.

"On offense the Chiefs will try to beat opponents with talent..."

Yikes!

Niswanger.

htismaqe
yep, I hope it is another smoke screen and Brodie turns into Dan Fouts..

It's not a smokescreen.

He really means it.

:shake:

bdeg

Rudy Niswanger for one.

HemiEd
04-05-2007, 08:03 PM
It's not a smokescreen.

He really means it.

:shake:

I know, I was trying to kid myself, and see if I could get any help doing it. :banghead:

Has there ever been two head coachs of any team so polar opposite than Vermeil/Edwards?

FAX
04-05-2007, 08:14 PM
I know, I was trying to kid myself, and see if I could get any help doing it. :banghead:

Has there ever been two head coachs of any team so polar opposite than Vermeil/Edwards?

Interesting point, Mr. HemiEd. I can't think of back-to-back coaches who were so different in philosophy.

Herm's hit the brakes on this offense so hard, the fans have gone through the windshield.

FAX

the Talking Can
04-05-2007, 08:20 PM
Herm's hit the brakes on this offense so hard, the fans have gone through the windshield.

FAX

that is perfect

Toad
04-05-2007, 08:21 PM
I'm guessing Niswanger.

Gotcha. Jeesh, Herm is serious about turning this roster over and making the Chiefs younger.

Count Alex's Wins
04-05-2007, 08:22 PM
It wasn't until about game 12, but it certainly was after that.

They tried to open it up against the Raiders, Jaguars and Chargers. It didn't work very well.

Then they went back into a total shell in the playoffs, and really sucked.

Finding the middle ground is what they have to do.

HemiEd
04-05-2007, 08:32 PM
Interesting point, Mr. HemiEd. I can't think of back-to-back coaches who were so different in philosophy.

FAX

Man, you have some real talent! I have got glass pieces imbedded in my body from the windshield.

HemiEd
04-05-2007, 08:34 PM
They tried to open it up against the Raiders, Jaguars and Chargers. It didn't work very well.

Losing the Cleveland game did not win Herm over to the offensive side of the ball.

htismaqe
04-05-2007, 08:53 PM

Yep.

Herm panicked and crawled into a damn shell. Hardly the thing champions are made of...

beer bacon
04-05-2007, 09:09 PM
I really hope we don't draft a CB in round one. It doesn't seem to make sense to pay the premium for 4.3 speed, when you don't really need that for a cover 2 CB.

There are always CBs that are great on the field, good tacklers, good instincts, that drop in the draft because they don't have blazing forty times. Those are the guys we should be looking at.

htismaqe
04-05-2007, 09:11 PM
I really hope we don't draft a CB in round one. It doesn't seem to make sense to pay the premium for 4.3 speed, when you don't really need that for a cover 2 CB.

There are always CBs that are great on the field, good tacklers, good instincts, that drop in the draft because they don't have blazing fory times. Those are the guys we should be looking at.

I think that's more Herm's style, too, for the most part.

HemiEd
04-05-2007, 09:13 PM

There are always CBs that are great on the field, good tacklers, good instincts, that drop in the draft because they don't have blazing fory times. Those are the guys we should be looking at.

This is the one warm fuzzy for me about Herm. I don't think he feels like he needs to draft dbs early. Anyway that seems to be his history from my memory.
We need some offensive draft choices on this team, I am sick of hearing about the defense, I got glass in my face.

milkman
04-05-2007, 09:27 PM

There are always CBs that are great on the field, good tacklers, good instincts, that drop in the draft because they don't have blazing forty times. Those are the guys we should be looking at.

I hope we aren't targeting a CB.

BPA.
If that happens to be a CB, I'm good with that.

|Zach|
04-05-2007, 09:41 PM
Yep.

Herm panicked and crawled into a damn shell. Hardly the thing champions are made of...With the way that team was palying...esp the oline...what the hell could Herm have done?

Tribal Warfare
04-05-2007, 10:33 PM
Only caught about half of it but thought I'd pass along the info I heard.

In the draft he thought the Chiefs will take the best CB available or DT in round 1. Said the Chiefs were high on Revis. Also said that if Ginn falls to 23 the Chiefs might take him due to his explosiveness at WR and at PR/KR.

It seems like they might have a man crush on Eric Wright

CupidStunt
04-06-2007, 03:15 AM

It's not a "joke". It's called speculation.

Herm has already made it quite clear that we're a BPA draft-style team. And I believe him.

If we land another Hali-type, at whatever position (save the obvious few), I'll be happy.

huskerdooz
04-06-2007, 07:06 AM
I don't see us spending a #1 on a WR. I don't think Herm sees the need to waste such a high pick on a position that won't be utilized as much as the other positions that have been mentioned like CB, DT, or possibly even OL. Unless one of the top Offensive Tackle prospects dropto us at 23, I see us taking someone on defense.

Mecca
04-06-2007, 07:12 AM
I think that's funny seeing as in Herms first draft with the Jets and his first pick ever was used on a WR.

tomahawk kid
04-06-2007, 07:29 AM
I find it amazing that so many folks on this site shit themselves everytime Herm says anything......

chop
04-06-2007, 07:37 AM
Losing the Cleveland game did not win Herm over to the offensive side of the ball.

Maybe my memory isn't clear because I didn't get to actually watch the game but, if I remember correctly, this was the game a rookie qb torched our D. How is that the problem with the offense?

htismaqe
04-06-2007, 08:19 AM
With the way that team was palying...esp the oline...what the hell could Herm have done?

Nutted up and tried anyway? The worst that could have happened is that we STILL LOST.

I'd rather strike out swinging than watch the pitches go by and do nothing.

htismaqe
04-06-2007, 08:20 AM
Maybe my memory isn't clear because I didn't get to actually watch the game but, if I remember correctly, this was the game a rookie qb torched our D. How is that the problem with the offense?

Because we came out early in that game all guns blazing on offense and didn't, in Herm's eyes, control the clock and wear them down.

htismaqe
04-06-2007, 08:21 AM
I think that's funny seeing as in Herms first draft with the Jets and his first pick ever was used on a WR.

And a GOOD WR at that.

Soupnazi
04-06-2007, 08:56 AM
I've got news for Herm. The offensive formation changes and motions create defensive confusion and were a big part of why this offensive team was so successful in the past few years. Is there any team in a salary-capped NFL who's going to be able to whip everyone based on talent alone?

It seems to be code for Herm saying "neither myself nor my offensive coordinator are smart enough to run it or coach it the right way." Maybe they don't trust Brodie or Damon to run an offense like that. I just don't dig on the inferrence that it was uneffective and useless when we dominated teams offensively.

I appreciate the increased focus on the defense, but we've got some major holes on this team's offense. The talent level currently at some major offensive positions ain't enough to whip anyone.

I'm finding myself rolling my eyes at Herm's comments after only one year in the driver's seat, when it took at least 3-4 years for Vermeil to reach that point.

el borracho
04-06-2007, 09:25 AM
What do we know about Rudolph Nelson Niswanger? His bio says he appeared in 3 games last year although I don't remember seeing him. Original free-agent, 6'5", just over 300 pounds. Any reason (besides the youth movement) to expect him to take over and do a good job for us? Who knows something?

ct
04-06-2007, 09:26 AM
What do we know about Rudolph Nelson Niswanger? His bio says he appeared in 3 games last year although I don't remember seeing him. Original free-agent, 6'5", just over 300 pounds. Any reason (besides the youth movement) to expect him to take over and do a good job for us? Who knows something?

Special teams perhaps? :shrug:

thurman merman
04-06-2007, 01:57 PM

me too. that would truly be a terrible decision. we might as well draft a running back or a tight end.

Messier
04-06-2007, 02:03 PM
me too. that would truly be a terrible decision. we might as well draft a running back or a tight end.

As much as it seems like something we don't need right now, it makes sense. This is likely Laws last season and surtain is getting older.

OnTheWarpath58
04-06-2007, 02:13 PM
I hope we aren't targeting a CB.

BPA.
If that happens to be a CB, I'm good with that.

My thoughts as well.....

We have no depth at the position, and Law and Surtain are just about done.

Honestly, there aren't too many positions this team couldn't use some serious help....

BPA unless it's a RB. I'd be fine with that.....

Not sure many others would be.....

Gravedigger
04-06-2007, 02:22 PM
Yeah it scares me cause I just thought Mel Kiper was an idiot when he said we were going after a corner in round one but now that holthus says it and knowing our stellar drafting of positions we already have filled it doesnt look good.

chop
04-06-2007, 02:31 PM
I've got news for Herm. The offensive formation changes and motions create defensive confusion and were a big part of why this offensive team was so successful in the past few years. Is there any team in a salary-capped NFL who's going to be able to whip everyone based on talent alone?

It seems to be code for Herm saying "neither myself nor my offensive coordinator are smart enough to run it or coach it the right way." Maybe they don't trust Brodie or Damon to run an offense like that. I just don't dig on the inferrence that it was uneffective and useless when we dominated teams offensively.

I appreciate the increased focus on the defense, but we've got some major holes on this team's offense. The talent level currently at some major offensive positions ain't enough to whip anyone.

I'm finding myself rolling my eyes at Herm's comments after only one year in the driver's seat, when it took at least 3-4 years for Vermeil to reach that point.

I think you could be correct about Herm not understanding the offense.

Herm has a weird personality and is very hard to relate to IMO. He says some off the wall stuff and then acts cocky.

HemiEd
04-06-2007, 02:45 PM

It was Trent's best game of the year and we lost. I am not about to try and defend Herm, I think he is an idiot.

We tried to outscore an opponent on the road, Herm says we are not going to do that anymore.

HemiEd
04-06-2007, 02:49 PM
Because we came out early in that game all guns blazing on offense and didn't, in Herm's eyes, control the clock and wear them down.

Better said than my interpretation.

SBK
04-06-2007, 03:05 PM
My thoughts are that the shifts and things are going to get taken out to simplify things for Croyle. I would think it'd be easier to run the offense if you didn't need to worry about 5-6 shifts and dudes in motion before you even snapped the ball.

Toad
04-06-2007, 03:10 PM

It seems to be an excellent draft for WR's this year as well... :hmmm:

milkman
04-06-2007, 07:43 PM

I don't think any of us know enough to make any evaluation of Niswanger.

However, the fact that he wasn't sent to Europe for development suggests to me that the Chiefs think enough of his progress in his rookie season that they might have plans for him this season.

KcMizzou
04-06-2007, 08:01 PM
I don't think any of us know enough to make any evaluation of Niswanger.

However, the fact that he wasn't sent to Europe for development suggests to me that the Chiefs think enough of his progress in his rookie season that they might have plans for him this season.My buddies and I know enough to get a good 7th grade level laugh out of Nice-Wanger.

I know... I know. :shake:

milkman
04-06-2007, 08:09 PM
My buddies and I know enough to get a good 7th grade level laugh out of Nice-Wanger.

I know... I know. :shake:

When I see wangers, I never think "Nice".

NTTATWWT.

KcMizzou
04-06-2007, 08:11 PM
When I see wangers, I never think "Nice".

NTTATWWT.That's how the announcer pronounced it... I think.

Beer makes ya stupid.