PDA

View Full Version : Finally, an interesting football topic.

Mi_chief_fan
03-18-2001, 07:16 PM
http://www.espn.go.com/nfl/news/2001/0316/1156461.html

Seems Tags wasn't so thrilled about having the 'Oakland' Raiders, thus losing the L.A. market. Al Davis is suing for $1 bil1ion. Hope he loses & is stuck with the court costs. ;)

morphius
03-18-2001, 07:26 PM
Al Davis made a stupid business move and now he wants the NFL to give him money for it. I like how he is claiming that he bought the market, but yet there was also a team called the Rams that were there. Is he planning on splitting that money with the Rams if he wins? I would also like to throw out the fact that the Rams had to pay to move to StL and Davis didn't have to pay to move to Oakland. He is not the brightest tool in the shed.

Mi_chief_fan
03-18-2001, 07:31 PM
I think part of it actually involved the Raiders unwillingness to share the new stadium w/ the Rams(thus Georgia's exodus to St. Louis).

Either way, I just don't see any creedence in Al's story. Why would Tags:
A) Not allow a new stadium to be built, and..
B) Want to lose such a large market?

Seems to be some holes in Al's logic.

hawaiianboy
03-18-2001, 09:07 PM
You know I'm basically an X's and O's football guy that doesn't get into these topics and I'm as sick as everybody else is with Al vs the NFL... but if I put myself in Al's jumpsuit, ... I take the same legal path as he does... There were some personal prejudices shown IMHO...
No way this happens to a Pat Bowlen for example....

Click for some interesting tidbits.... (http://www.raiders.com/Home/Legal/legal.html)

Just my opinion... but not something I'll expend time & energy arguing.... I deal with too damn much legal mumbo jumbo in real life... My attorneys feel Al will win though... Nice of them to do on my dime, huh?

DaWolf
03-18-2001, 09:21 PM
C'mon JQ, you just want the tax free winnings from this case so that you can dole out bigger signing bonuses to players...

:)

keg in kc
03-18-2001, 09:30 PM
AAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Geez, JQ, at least give a guy some warning!!!!!

I gotta go take a shower now, I feel dirty.

Too close to the dark side for my liking. ;)

On a serious note, it'll be interesting to see how all of the plays out.

hawaiianboy
03-18-2001, 10:53 PM
Yeah Arman.... maybe Al learned something from DeBartolo and will set up those special Cayman Islands or Belize retirement trust funds for players, hehe....

Thats some serious cabbage they're talking about in this case though.
... This is one time I wouldn't mind seeing Al stick it to the NFL powers that be....

Mi_chief_fan
03-19-2001, 06:33 AM
You know JQ, it hurts to write this, but I hope the Raiders stick it to Tags as well. Somebody needs to bring the reigning NFL dictator back down to earth.

I just wish it were someone other than Oakland.

Multi1
03-19-2001, 07:18 AM
Al Davis is a money grubbing butt!!

He received several million dollars from Oakland when he was toying with going back there. His only concerns are Al Davis and money.

I hope the NFL takes the franchise away from him and gives it to the People of Oakland.

Mark M
03-19-2001, 07:28 AM
I wouldn't mind seeing Al give the shaft to the NFL, but the problem is that the NFL is a legal monopoly, able to make their own rules (as it should be). No one team can say "we own this market" if the league itself decides otherwise. For Al to say that he owns it is a bit ridiculous considering (like stated before) that the Rams were also there. And if he leaves, who owns Oakland? You can't have it both way there, Al. You either play in one city or the other, and let the league put teams where they want them. If a team moves, then the league should be able to charge them for doing so. Just an opinion, of course.

Maybe if Al wins he can get some new clothes. You would think that with all of the money the guy makes that he could shop somewhere other than Chess King.

Mi_chief_fan
03-19-2001, 07:47 AM
Chess King would be a step up from target, don't you think?

Mark M
03-19-2001, 09:36 AM
Mi--
That's a toss-up. :)

I guess Al's attempt to look like a street-corner crack dealer with a 6th grade education is his attempt to show that he can relate to 99.99% of Raiders fans (jq is excluded from that group).

MM
~~Knows that the idiocy of Raiderfandom is not all-inclusive.

Mi_chief_fan
03-19-2001, 09:43 AM
OUCH! That was pretty good! ;)

"Thank you sir may I have another!" to quote Kevin Bacon from Animal House