PDA

View Full Version : Brunell a Chief?

JimNasium
03-20-2001, 11:29 AM
According to NFL Scoop there have been trade talks....

http://www.nflscoop.com/cgi-bin/display.cgi?page=newsbody.html&id=20010320180509521135000000&teamid=&linktype=

Wrasse
03-20-2001, 11:32 AM
I hate hearing "news" (I'll use that word loosely) like this...I don't know what to think about it. I do know he WILL be expensive and I do know I respect the hell out of the guy. I also know he'd make us forget about Elvis in a heartbeat...

Oh, I almost forget, Grbac sucks! :P hehe

Mark M
03-20-2001, 11:36 AM
Oh crap ... I hope this doesn't happen. Don't get me wrong, I do like Brunnel ... circa 1998. He is on the downside of his career (IMO) and would be way too much of a hit to our salary cap.

I'd rather go with a rookie.

Again, just my opinion.

MM
~~Thinking cheapness now for the future of the team.

JimNasium
03-20-2001, 11:36 AM
Here's the source for NFL Scoop

http://www.jaguars.com/

kcred
03-20-2001, 11:38 AM
Isn't this the same guy who wants a Favre-Bledsoe like contract. I mean 100 mil., how the hell can we do that, plus if the Rams want a 1 and 3, what the hell will the Jags want. If this goes thru, we may not have a #1 choice for years. Just say NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NaptownChief
03-20-2001, 11:43 AM
I would probably soil myself if this happen...To completely understand where I am coming from you would first have to realize that I have a authentic Mark Brunell jersey hanging in my closet, this despite being a die hard R&G supporter...

This would probably cost us our #12 but he is one of the few players on the market that I would be willing to part with the pick...

oleman47
03-20-2001, 11:43 AM
Seems more like Steinberg negotiations for Brunell and the Jags than KC.

alanm
03-20-2001, 11:45 AM
If it turns out to be a user friendly trade so to speak, Hell yes!! I'd grab him.

BIG_DADDY
03-20-2001, 11:52 AM
I can't imagine how they can make this happen. I think he was balking at 103 million. This combined with compensating the jags. Sounds pretty tuff to me.

ct
03-20-2001, 12:03 PM
Hell, if we're gonna trade for a high-priced Jaguar, go for FreddieT!!!

ct

NaptownChief
03-20-2001, 12:03 PM
KCRED,

You have to realize that those 100 mill contracts aren't really 100 mill contracts...The players will never see the backend loaded 15-20 mil per year base salaries that come up in years 7,8,9 and 10....They just make it a 10 year deal so that they can spread the signing bonus out in 1/10th increments...

58Forever
03-20-2001, 12:08 PM
If Brunell is traded we just have to pay him based on his present contract which is like 6 mill...plus having to give up the draft choices...no way, no how...unless of course he just wants out of JAX and will come to us and restructer...which I doubt...

He definitely would be a QB that would make us forget Elvis...but I don't see how we can get him...pipe dreams...

ChiTown
03-20-2001, 12:11 PM
Jl80

I think the crux of the matter is that if the Chiefs have $6.5mm remaining for the FA market and their rookies, there is no way we can sign Brunell, and get the remaining needs taken care of without mortgaging the future.

I'm not real thrilled about mortgaging for a 31 yr old QB (who was injured last year) at this point in our rebuilding process.

Help me out if you think I'm missing the economic impact to the team.

ChiTown
~loves Brunell, but hates the price tag to the team

NaptownChief
03-20-2001, 12:16 PM
Chi,

The only way they would make the trade would be contingent on working out a cap friendly long term contract so it wouldn't wreck the team or the future...His current contract would wreck our cap so that is why it would only happen if they were able to hammer out a new contract...

47mack
03-20-2001, 01:03 PM
If this were to happen, I'd be a happy man. I am a huge Brunell fan! Although, I wouldn't give just anything for him....it would have to be a smart investment.

Red Till Dead
03-20-2001, 01:12 PM
If the Jags can't work out a deal for Brunell they will have to cut him. Why should we trade something for him. If they do work out a deal it will be for more than the chiefs could afford anyway.

If Brunell gets cut see if we can pick him up bargin basement. Not to many teams out there with QB needs and a lot of cash right now.

NaptownChief
03-20-2001, 01:17 PM
Originally posted by Red Till Dead
If they do work out a deal it will be for more than the chiefs could afford anyway.

I'm not sure I follow you on this point...The Jags are in far worse of a cap position than us....

Red Till Dead
03-20-2001, 01:33 PM
Was talking about the Jags willing to take the slash and burn approach to get a contract Brunell can live with. The jags are currently trying to negotiate a deal so that they will not have to cut an additional three of four players. If they decide to do this it will be for a bigger contract than the chiefs could offer anyway.

If they don't, they will have to cut Brunell, and depending on takers the chiefs could be in a fairly strong negotiating position, cap wise.

NaptownChief
03-20-2001, 01:39 PM
True, but the advantage of making a trade is you don't have to get in a FA bidding war with other teams...Granted, you make a vaild point earlier that there isn't that many teams that would be in the running. I think Cincy, Dallas, and Pitt would all have interest. Cincy would be the only one of those three that could outbid us on a contract.

htismaqe
03-20-2001, 02:03 PM
There's no way Cinci could afford Brunnell AND COREY DILLON...

~~trying to start the Dilgasm again...

ct
03-20-2001, 02:12 PM
So, htismaqe, what you're sayin is if Brunell won't reneg, gets cut, and signed by the Bungholes, WE COULD GET COREY DILLON?!?

IS THAT WHAT YOU'RE TELLIN ME??!!??

YYYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH
BBBBBBBBBBAAAAAAAAAAABBBBBBBBBBYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!

ct
whohoo, dillon's comin to kc

Gaz
03-20-2001, 02:19 PM
Dammit, htismaqe, now you see what you did? Donít you know any better than to mention Dillon on a Chiefs BB?

Now get yourself in there and clean up the mess that Dillon Homer left.

I tell you, kids these daysÖ

xoxo~
gaz
hall monitor.

AJKCFAN
03-20-2001, 02:25 PM
I had to rub my eyes on this one and then seeing it on jaguars.com

Forget about the price tag just for a moment. Mark Brunell. A Chief? Holy sh*t!!!

This would be like manna falling from the skies, if the Chiefs were to obtain Mark Brunell.

This would be like Charlie Bucket finding the 5th Golden Ticket, if the Chiefs were to obtain Mark Brunell.

This would be like getting locked inside a room full of sex-starved Playmates, if the Chiefs were to obtain Mark Brunell.

This would be like getting the Chiefs a huge step closer to the Super Bowl. Mark Brunell brings with him leadership (something Grbac never really had), intelligence (something Grbac never ever had), and confidence.

Mark Brunell would give the Chiefs the best QB in the AFC West. He's better than Gannon and for now, he's better than Griese.

Damn right this move would fill in those seats at Arrowhead... and with good reason! With Brunell on board and with Vermeil and that staff around, the Chiefs and their fans have reason to believe.

Now, the tricky parts. First, what will it cost the Chiefs?

I say if the Chiefs were mulling giving up the 12th pick for Green, they better give it up for Brunell... using that logic. However, something tells me that given the circumstances surrounding Brunell and the Jaguars, I don't think the Chiefs need to move this pick. In fact, we could give up 50 cents on the dollar to get Brunell.

Also, Brunell's price tag. According to Clayton, the Chiefs are $6.9 million under the cap. If you give Brunell a $10 million signing bonus, that means $2.5 million count against the cap. Give him a base salary of $2.1 million and his cap hit is $4.6 million... or two-thirds of the remaining cap. That's fair value for an established, top-tier QB that Brunell definitely is.

Chiefs would still have $2.3 million to spend and could easily cut a few more players to get them back to the $5 million mark.

Brunell has suffered a few injuries, but then again, which QB hasn't? The guy still has a great amount of skill left and can be a solution to the Chiefs QB problems for the next 4-5 years.

You get what you pay for. In this case, you pay for Brunell...

Zebedee DuBois
03-20-2001, 06:22 PM
What would be the economics of this? Is the Jags/Brunnell situation like the Chiefs/Grbac one was? If they cut him or release him or whatever, can we sign him for whatever Brunnel & Carl agree on. If so, I am for it.

AJKCFAN
03-20-2001, 08:37 PM
I'm seeing double... what happened?

Frazod
03-20-2001, 08:42 PM
This thread, the first one, was buried on page 2, so I didn't see it when I put up the new one. I thought I was scooping the Planet, but people had been talking about it all day. I kind of felt like an a$$hole when I saw it.... :mad:

My apologies to JimNasium. I'm not in the habit of parroting other threads.

Archie F. Swin
03-20-2001, 09:28 PM
ESPN Just announced that DV confirmed communications with Brunell/Jaguars . . . no details.

Frazod
03-20-2001, 09:41 PM
Wow. Momentum building..... God, I want this one!

Frazod
03-20-2001, 09:51 PM
Just picked these of KFFL:

Chiefs | More On QBs - posted at KFFL (http://nfl.kffl.com)
23:43 ET: The Kansas City Star reports the Kansas City Chiefs are looking at their QB position from all angles. They attended workouts of several college QBs recently, including Oklahoma's Josh Heupel, Iowa State's Sage Rosenfels and Louisiana State's Josh Booty. The Chiefs will be in Indiana Wednesday to watch Purdue's Drew Brees. Coach Dick Vermeil had this to say about the team's reported interest in Jaguars QB Mark Brunell, "We're just sort of following what's happening with that. If they get to a point where they feel they're not able to sign him, that's when we might take a closer look." When talking about the team's upcoming free agent QB visits, Vermeil indicated he was bringing guys in for a look right now, and "not to sign them."

Chiefs | Add Another To the List- posted at KFFL (http://nfl.kffl.com)
23:30 ET: John Clayton of ESPN reports you can add the name of free agent QB Tony Banks (Ravens) to the list of QBs that will be visiting with the Chiefs. Banks may be in to see the Chiefs before the weekend. The candidate list now reads: Tony Banks, Jamie Martin and Trent Dilfer, in addition to the trade talks mentioned earlier involving Jaguars QB Mark Brunell. Earlier reports had Steve Beuerlein and Damon Huard as potential candidates as well.

Rausch
03-20-2001, 09:56 PM
I'd love to sign him, hate to have to trade for him...

cjderby
03-20-2001, 10:12 PM
Here's some info I dug up concerning Brunell's contract talks with Jax. Kinda long, but interesting:

"Brunell continues to insist that he deserves a huge signing bonus, somewhere in the $15 - $20 million range. The Jaguars have offered Brunell $10 million. The Jaguars do not want to pay Brunell his signing bonus in one lump sum. They would like to spread the money out over three years. Brunell does not like that scenario at all.

Another problem seems to be that the team does not want to agree to a deal that guarantees Brunell will receive a certain amount of money through the first few years of the contract. Bledsoe is guaranteed to receive $30 million in the first four years. The Jaguars just can't seem to find a way to afford that. "

"Brunell is seeking a long-term deal expected to be similar in compensation to the early years of the contract signed by Patriots quarterback Drew Bledsoe last week.

Bledsoe signed a 10-year, $103 million extension that will pay him an estimated $30 million over the first four years. Packers quarterback Brett Favre, a three-time NFL Most Valuable Player, recently agreed to an extension that will pay $32 over the next four years.

Brunell, a three-time Pro Bowl selection, turned down the Jaguars' offer of a six-year, $31 million contract with a $10 million bonus just before the March 1 cap deadline."

"The Jaguars are under the cap with Brunell on the roster, which means they can retain him as their quarterback, or his rights, indefinitely. As Weaver told jaguars.com in January, one strategy for retaining Brunell was to fit his current contract under the cap, then slap him with the "franchise tag" at the end of next season, if a new deal couldn't be reached. The Jaguars can do that indefinitely, which means Brunell would be paid the average of the top five quarterback salaries in the league, but without a signing bonus.

Such a scenario would further strap the Jaguars' cap, since salary must be declared in full in the year it is paid, but the lack of a signing bonus offers a team the potential for a full and immediate escape. For example, a "franchise player" who suffers a career-ending injury can be released without the team having to claim him on future caps. Book closed. "

Rausch
03-20-2001, 10:20 PM
They seem beyond committed to keeping him...

They Can't afford him, but neither can we if his demands don't budge...

keg in kc
03-20-2001, 10:26 PM
I just don't see any way that he doesn't stay there. He's got too much invested in the area not to stay and he's an icon, even if slightly tarnished over this. I still say all of this is negotiation banter at our expense. We're going along though, so maybe there is something more to it than that...

redhed
03-20-2001, 10:42 PM
I LOVE it when a thread gets long AND informative! Thanks, 'zod!

I like SOMe of the names the Chiefs are looking at, but I don't know if they'll be able to sign the likes of Dilfer, Brunell, Green...

Tony Banks?!? Hmmmm... that might work. Sounds familiar.

kcred
03-21-2001, 06:43 AM
I can't believe the Chiefs are talking about Brunell. Not that I wouldn't like to see him at Arrowhead, but, after digging ourselves out of cap hell, and now pinching pennies, why would they arbitrarily jump back in the pit for, not just this year, but years to come. I, for one, do not think it will happen. As far as the rest of the QBs, my choice would be Martin, let him and Collins fight it out, and look to next year. Of all of them, Banks is the one I can't stand. For Gods sake, he is a proven loser in St. Louis and Baltimore.

Spott
03-21-2001, 08:11 AM
I don't know how reliable this is, but last night the Jacksonville newscaster on channel 4 said that the Chiefs have offered a #1, a #3 and another player for Brunell. That other player could be just a future pick or someone currently on the roster.

Wrasse
03-21-2001, 09:53 AM
The thing that I find interesting (someone may have brought this up) is that the Jaguars contacted us. That says to me that they are not completely convinced they should keep Brunell (this may have already been obvious to some). Also, with the current cap situation (read the article on NFL Scoop), it looks like they are horribly screwed if they try and keep him (this is all dependent on a larger restructuring of MBs contract). They don't even have practice squad people signed and have fewer than the 53-man roster maximum signed...this while being only 128,000 dollars under the current cap.

Hmmmmm....

JimNasium
03-21-2001, 10:33 AM
Add to all of this the fact that the cap is slated to be increased by $8 million next year and it begins to make the Brunell in Kansas City deal look feasible. Of course I'm always convinced I'm going to win the Power Ball drawing as well.

JimNasium