PDA

View Full Version : Brunell a Chief?

Frazod
03-20-2001, 06:05 PM
Hmm.... here's my new favorite rumor. Just picked this off NFLScoop.

INSIDE SCOOP:
BRUNELL HEADED TO KANSAS CITY?
Eleven days and counting. The March 31st deadline set for a Mark Brunell extension is rapidly approaching and there could be a major move on the horizon. To recap, Brunell is due an ironclad bonus of $2.5 million on Saturday, March 31. If a deal cannot be completed prior to that date, the Jaguars will either swallow his salary for the 2001 season or ship him elsewhere. One possible destination could be Kansas City. According to Jaguars.com, the site has learned that the Chiefs and Jaguars have held preliminary talks about a possible trade for Brunell. The Jaguars would take a $6.35 million cap hit if they trade Brunell before March 31, but the quarterback would be an $8.85 million hit on the Jaguars' 2001 cap if they traded him after paying him the March 31 $2.5 million roster bonus.

I don't know about the rest of you, but this CERTAINLY WORKS FOR ME! Brunell is a stud!

Tribal Warfare
03-20-2001, 06:15 PM
Their is noway this "trade" will transpire.

Chiefs Pantalones
03-20-2001, 06:19 PM
Brunell a Chief? Can you say, "negotiation ploy."

Frazod
03-20-2001, 06:21 PM
Well, I can dream, can't I? There are no other QBs available (Green included) worthy of washing this guy's jock.

I'm feeling a bit Codyish in unrealistic glee! :D

Frazod
03-20-2001, 06:24 PM
Didn't realize there was already a thread on this. Duh. :mad:

Chiefs Pantalones
03-20-2001, 06:24 PM
Frazod,

I would take either him or Green, but I feel that this (Brunell) won't happen. Hey, but if it does, you won't here me complaining!

CG

would be happy with either Green or Brunell

Anyone but Dilfer or that other guy, Martin. I think thats his name?

Zebedee DuBois
03-20-2001, 06:26 PM
I would be more exited about Brunell than Green.

Chiefs Pantalones
03-20-2001, 06:28 PM
Hey, wouldn't we have to give up the same thing (1st and 3rd) for Brunell?

Frazod
03-20-2001, 06:35 PM
I'd still hate to give up a first and third for anybody, but I sure wouldn't b!tch as loud about Brunell. This guy's been on my wish list as long as he's been in the league.

I think this could be a good move for Brunell as well. For starters, it would get him the hell away from the Titans in the regular season. The idea of Brunell to Gonzales probably would probably appeal to him. And with our offensive line, the poor guy wouldn't get the sh!t beat out of him on every other passing play. If we could somehow cement Garner first, that would show him that we're serious about putting up some true offensive firepower. I'm getting wood just thinking about it!

And even before I saw Elvis for the traitorous turd muncher that he is, there was never a day in my life I wouldn't have shot his a$$ out of a friggin cannon if it meant we could land Brunell, who has true leadership abilities and a functional brain as well.

[Edited by frazod on 03-20-2001 at 07:41 PM]

NaptownChief
03-20-2001, 06:38 PM
I doubt Brunell would cost as much in terms of draft picks and or players due to the fact that they would be dealing him because their backs are against the wall not out of luxury...St Lou has the cap room to keep Green so dealing him is just a luxury. That allows them to get fair market value or possibly a premium...However the Jags would only be dealing Brunell as a last ditched effort in order to salvage something of value before being forced to cut him due to cap problems...This being the case "damages" the market value that they would normally be able to get out of a player of his caliber....Another reason Greens value is escalated is due to his current contract that he is under is very cap friendly. Unless Brunell agrees to a new contract his cap number is something like 8 mil, virtually nobody can afford a one year cap hit in that neighborhood right now.

old_geezer
03-20-2001, 07:21 PM
If Brunell and Green would cost us the same in draft picks, I would opt for Green.
Reasoning: Brunell will be considerably more expensive to sign and basically wipe out whatever cap room we have. Green, while less desirable in ability, would be more cap friendly and allow us to use the money somewhere else.
If we can get Brunell for less than the Rams are demanding for Green, I'd rather go with Brunell.
Bottom line: I wouldn't give a 1st and 3rd for Green. For Brunell I would (preferably 1st one year and 3rd next).
Either way, Carl seems to have a little more room to make a move now.

old_geezer
03-20-2001, 07:28 PM
I just realized that last reply made it sound like I wanted Green if Brunell not possible. Not true! I would rather go with QBOTF than give up our picks for Green.
Never try to reason with yourself - brain cramps likely.

Frazod
03-20-2001, 07:33 PM
Well, the good news about this rumor is that if nothing happens by the end of the month, this alleged deal won't happen. Also, the article on the Jags site reports that Brunell and the Jags are close to a deal, so he could resign with them at any time.

"On March 1, Jaguars owner Wayne Weaver credited Brunell for saving the team from having to cut another four or five players to make it under the cap, and Weaver said he expected a new contract for Brunell would be complete within two weeks. That has not happened, though jaguars.com has also learned the two sides are close to a new deal."

I don't want to agonize over this any longer than I have to.

However, IMO no way in hell is Green even in the same league with Brunell. Green is an unproven bench jockey with a trick knee, who benefitted in his handful of starts by being in an explosive offense brimming with playmakers. He would have had to be a complete bum not to prosper under those circumstances. Brunell, on the other hand, is a tough, proven, savvy stud.

I wouldn't give MY left nut for Brunell, but I'd certainly give Carl's.... :D

Otter
03-20-2001, 08:08 PM
Although I am unwilling to sacrafice one of my testicles for Brunell. He is definatly a proven winner and would be a HUGH asset to the Chiefs.

Lets do a quick comparison between Brunell and Green:
Mark Brunell (http://espn.go.com/nfl/profiles/stats/primary/2485.html) Trent Green (http://espn.go.com/nfl/profiles/stats/primary/2547.html)

Just some things that jump out at me:

Career starts: 89 vs. 19
Career passing YDS: 19,212 vs. 5,504

This is the kind of QB you discuss a 1st and 3rd for, not some unproven 30 somthing backup with 19 career starts. Does this shed any light on the Green trade to the 'we need Green and he's worth a 1st and 3rd pick' backers?

I would love for this to happen. He's a scrambler, has a cannon superior to Grbac's and is a south paw - that always throws defenses off.

Its unlikely but definatly possible. :D

[Edited by Otter on 03-20-2001 at 09:14 PM]

Frazod
03-20-2001, 08:19 PM
Another bonus of signing Brunell - it would totally burn Girlbac's a$$ if we immediately replaced him with someone so vastly superior. Somehow I don't think you'd ever hear Brunell whining about how nobody likes him.

keg in kc
03-20-2001, 08:22 PM
I'd love to have Brunell, but at this point I think the chances of me sprouting wings and flying to Jamaica are at least even with the odds that Jacksonville won't re-sign him.

I'll be watching closely though, stranger things have happened...

Zebedee DuBois
03-20-2001, 08:24 PM
I don't understand this. Has there been some disclosure on what the trade would be. Isn't Brunell's situation like Elvis' was with Chiefs. Is there a possibility that he would have to be released for them to be in cap compliance, and then the Chiefs could sign him to whatever Peterson/Brunell agree to.

Zeb,
Not contract savy.

Frazod
03-20-2001, 08:27 PM
Beats me. I'm about as cap savvy as you are. I just hope we can find a way to pull it off. It would definitely be in the running for the biggest acquisition in the NFL this year if we could, and send all the nay-sayers running for cover.

Mi_chief_fan
03-20-2001, 08:28 PM
How much would it take to throw in Jimmy Smith?

Imagine: Smith to the left
Alexander to the right
Gonzo in the slot
Brunell back to pass, with T-Rich in the flat

AHHHHHHHHHH.........i'm gonna have sweet dreams tonight.

Zebedee DuBois
03-20-2001, 08:29 PM
I'm definitly could get on a Brunell bandwagon.(would play trombone :) ), but still don't want to lose picks or the ability to sign other FAs to shore up defense.

keg in kc
03-20-2001, 08:30 PM
It's exactly like Elvis' situation, at least in terms of the contract. That is to say, if they don't give him the bonus on the 31st he's a free agent.

I don't think a repeat of the Elvis situation is very likely however, for a number of reasons.

1) he's very, very popular in Jacksonville, athough his image has been hurt some recently due to the cap problems.

2) he is involved in the community in Jacksonville to a large degree as I understand it

3) his parents have moved there and he's building a multi-million dollar home there.

It's possible we could pick him up if he becomes a UFA, but I just don't see Jacksonville cutting. However, the fact that they're shopping him shows that there may be some chance that they just may not be able to get him signed.

I just think that realistically it doesn't look like he'd want to leave the way Elvis wanted to leave here, so that makes it that much more likely they'll come to terms...

keg in kc
03-20-2001, 08:32 PM
Oh Zeb, if you play trombone, then what the hell am I going to play?!? I don't know how to play anything else...

Zebedee DuBois
03-20-2001, 08:34 PM
Keg, lol,
My embeshure (sp) would last about 5 min. We could take turns.

Zebedee DuBois
03-20-2001, 08:38 PM
If, despite Kegs attempt to lower expectations, Brunell could be signed (ala EG in Balty), then this is the best QB deal of the off-season. Whaa hoo. I could do a Cody on this deal.

[Edited by Zebedee DuBois on 03-20-2001 at 09:43 PM]

keg in kc
03-20-2001, 08:40 PM
Hell, I wouldn't last 5 minutes. I haven't picked mine up in at least 2 years...

I'm with you on the deal, but I'd just recommend not to get too carried-away just yet, way, way too early for that right now. Our name being mentioned is just a negotiating tool at this point, IMO.,,