PDA

View Full Version : Garner to visit Chiefs

old_geezer
03-22-2001, 08:07 AM
According to KFFL, running back Charlie Garner will visit KC this weekend. It might just be a negotiating ploy by Carl, who supposedly already has an offer on the table for Priest Holmes. Personally, I would rather have Holmes. He would be more cap friendly and bring a better attitude IMO.
Thoughts?

Gaz
03-22-2001, 09:30 AM
I would rather go with Richardson as the featured HB. I think he would do a fine job if given a steady diet of footballs and a decent OC.

But I realize that I am in a very small minority on this one.

xoxo~
Gaz
putting down the crack pipe and backing away.

ChiTown
03-22-2001, 09:46 AM
I'm down with that Gaz.

I do think, however, that they should utilize one of their 3rd's to pick up Travis Henry. IMO, TR will do great if given the chance, but they need some additional speed and young talent in the wings. T Henry should provide a nice compliment of toughness, speed and ability.

Gaz
03-22-2001, 09:51 AM
ChiTown-

If Henry is there in the 3rd, I would take him.

xoxo~
gaz
doubts he will fall that far, but delighted to be wrong.

Packfan
03-22-2001, 10:04 AM
Chief fans,

Dont get your hopes up to much. Every year, Carl brings in every free agent. Hell, one year he brought in Deion Sanders and another year he brought in Jeff George. He had absolutely no intentions of getting serious with either guy.

Sometimes you have to wonder just what the hell is going on in his mind. You would think that they could study film, talk to ex coaches, decide what the budget is and narrow down the field and bring in one or two QBs or RBs.

Watching the way Carl handles FA visit and the way he handles first round draft pick negotiations makes it very easy to understand why this franchise hasnt won a playoff game in 8 years. I am of the opinion that the Chiefs franchise is a notch above the Bengals and Bears and thats it.

Alton deFlat
03-22-2001, 10:09 AM
Ken
You continue to amaze me. I'm just not sure if that remark deserves a response or not.

58Forever
03-22-2001, 10:11 AM
Gaz, I would not be opposed to TRich running crazy with the ball, I would love to see Priest Holmes in R&G...Garner can kiss my butt because he wants too much money and he's been injury prone...

Holmes brings a little more to the table then TRich as far as I'm concerned...and that is outside speed, at least that's what i've heard...

But, if we start the season with TRich as HB...I won't be complaining...

even if we sign Holmes, I think TRich will be valuable in our offense...power back with speed who can catch and block...

Our own version of thunder and lightning.

BIG_DADDY
03-22-2001, 10:15 AM
Packfan,

Did you have a stepfather that looked like Carl and used to molest you when you were just a young buck?

BIG DADDY

Not trying to start anything - Just curious

Packfan
03-22-2001, 10:22 AM
Big D,

Am I right about Carl?

BIG_DADDY
03-22-2001, 10:30 AM
Packfan,

Sometimes. Then sometimes you go a bit overboard. Ever heard of beating a dead horse?

Packfan
03-22-2001, 10:34 AM
I didnt ask you if I ever go overboard. I just want to know if you agree or dissagree with what I said earlier, thats all.

KCTitus
03-22-2001, 10:39 AM
Ken: Deions visit to the Chiefs was on a Monday Night game and it was all about Deion being on national TV. There was never any real pretense that he was going to sign or even entertain an offer with KC.

Everyone, except you I guess, knew that Deion would land in Dallas. It was obvious...then again.

George was offered a contact that was very cap friendly but chose to go for even more money in Oakland, remember? Remember he also bombed out there big time.

Mark M
03-22-2001, 10:39 AM
I wouldn't mind seeing either Garner or Holmes or TRich. But let's analyze this, shall we?

TRich: Average price; strong runner; not real quick around the corner; not many shake-and-bake moves; soft hands; doesn't fumble much; great blocker; converted FB; solid character in locker room.

Holmes: Inexpensive; solid runner; pretty quick around the corner; decent moves; catching is a question mark due to former offense; fumbles a bit; solid blocker; true HB; quiet quy in locker room.

Garner: Expensive; very good runner; gets around he corner well; good moves; soft hands; not so good blocker; average fumbles; true HB; outspoken in locker room.

Not sure what to do here. I would like to see TRich and/or Moreau given a shot, and maybe even Cloud (although he should probably be cut) and hope that T. Henry falls to us in the third. I wouldn't mind seeing Holmes (although I don't like the fumble fingers) or Garner (a bit more solid, but injury prone before last year) could do. Even though I'm a defensive guy, I would not go nuts if they drafted a RB with the #12.

In short, I still have no freaking idea what they should do, but would be satisfied any route they take. As long as 1 guy gets a majority of he shots, we should do well behind our O-line.

ButterNuts (Packfan)--
How long has it been since the Chiefs won a playoff game? I can't remember ... :confused:
Carl brought in George and Sanders and did the right thing ... didn't sign either one of them. I actually like that they look at everyone that's available ... it's one of the best ways to assess a person. Film only shows so much.

MM
~~Sees many options at HB ... and likes them all.

Iowanian
03-22-2001, 10:43 AM
pack,

there is a way to answer or ask a question without looking like a rectal sphincter. what do you expect...."you are very clever, I am very unintelligent, you are very handsome, I am very unattractive, you are hung like a bull elephant, I am hung like one of bob dole's texarkana chiggers..".(just for the record, I'm being very sarcastic for person's riding the bus).....IT is possible for someone to agree with part of what you say, but not all of it...or its presentation.

sometimes you make good points..others you just look like a huge @$$hole..They have classes to assist people in working and playing well with others.

put a "W" on both sides of you and It occasionally looks like the word W0W

ExtremeChief
03-22-2001, 10:49 AM
I wouldn't mind seeing Holmes or Garner in R & G. But I don't believe the Chiefs will get either one. I have no problem seeing what TR can do with 20-30 carries per game. The draft is deep this year with quality RB's and even if Henry isn't there in the third round, IMO there will still be some good RB's to pick up.

I don't think CP will draft or sign a RB just to please the Arrowhead faithful. (May just be wishful thinking) I hope we draft defense in the 3rd and go for the best athlete available with our remaining picks.

Of course, we don't know what picks we will even have until April, so the whole point could be moot.

just lurking along...

KCTitus
03-22-2001, 10:54 AM
ExtremeChief: Im pretty confident that KC will still have the #12 pick. The Green deal, if it's ever done, wont be done before the draft--assuming that's what you're referring to.

Packfan
03-22-2001, 10:56 AM
Mark M,

Yea, not signing Deion in the prime of his career was the "right thing". We were better off getting Mighty Mouse instead.

Titus,

Thanks for input on Sanders and George. Both were low balled and left town. I highly doubt that Sanders had nothing better to do than go to a Chiefs monday night football game. He was in for a visit with Peterson.

As far as whether Peterson did the right thing, it would have been nice to have Deion (contrary to what Mark M thinks). As far as George, the Chiefs basically signed his clone in Elvis Grbac. So yea, give him credit for not signing George, but take away credit for signing Grbac.

BTW, Jeff George has one more playoff win than Grbac. I think most would agree that he is the better player. TITUS, no where in this post do I say that George is a "great player". IMO, he is better than Grbac though - just to make it clear to you.

KCTitus
03-22-2001, 11:04 AM
Ken: I dont believe that Deion was ever offered a contract. Let's not be silly here, Deion is about self promotion first and sports second. Come on, havent you seen him on the field doing his little dance before punt returns?

I disagree that it would have been 'nice' to have Deion, the TRUE malcontent on KC. Of course, if he were here, I know you'd be howling about him just like Glock.

As far as your defense of Jeff George is concerned, my God man, how far will you stoop. Jeff George the guy who couldnt win a championship with Moss, Carter and Smith on the Vikings.

I will be interested to hear your comments on George as the Washington Chiefs play next year. Marty is keeping George as their starter and let Brad Johnson go. I see Marty learned well from Carl, eh?

ExtremeChief
03-22-2001, 11:05 AM
Titus,

Yes, that's part of what I'm referring to. But it wouldn't suprise me to see us trade down with another team to gain some picks in the second and third rounds. At this point I would just as soon see us have a 2nd, 2 3rds, and 2 4ths on draft day. This is a pretty deep defensive and RB draft IMO, and I would like to try to slap some young talent in as many spots as we can to build for the future. If there was one player in the draft that I thought could really turn this team around, then I would save the #12, but I personally don't see one.

I personally don't see a deal going through for Green until draft day ( if at all ) either.

prefering quantity over quality for now...

KCTitus
03-22-2001, 11:10 AM
ExtremeChief: Well, KC already has 2 3's and 2 4's going into the draft. Granted the loss of the #2 does sting, especially since St. Louis really wasnt entitled to it.

If KC were to trade down, I'd hope they'd get more than just one #2 pick.

Reason I say we stick with the #12 overall is because Lamar doesnt sound like he wants to play with that pick.

Mark M
03-22-2001, 11:19 AM
BuuterNuts--
Having Deion would've been a HUGE mistake, IMO. Is he a good punt returner? Sure. But he is at best an average CB. Good speed but couldn't/wouldn't tackle my 3 year-old niece. And you think Chester was a malcontent? Hell, Steve freaking Bono ripped KC, what the hell do you think Deion would've done? And don't even get me started on the salary cap implications of signing him.

And BTW, we didn't sign McMillan instead of Deion. That was the following year (and while that wasn't the best signing in the world, the guy did have 7 INTs his first year here. Should've been his last one. I'll agree with you on this point.)

ExtremeChief
03-22-2001, 11:30 AM
My bad Titus...I was assuming a swap of 1st's, and I had forgotten the extra 4th...I'll try again...late 1st rounder, 2nd rounder and a 4th in exchange for our 1st. That may be too much to expect, I guess it depends who is on the board at #12 and how badly another team wants them.

Thats what makes draft day interesting, we can sit here and guess all we want, but there are unlimited options once the day arrives.

like watching desperation and business mix...

KCTitus
03-22-2001, 11:44 AM
If you like that, you must love this stock market. :)

ExtremeChief
03-22-2001, 01:03 PM
touche'

slowly watching 401K go to hell...

ct
03-22-2001, 02:04 PM
I too would prefer to fill bigger holes, using TRich as feature HB. I believe he'd put up better #s than Stephen Davis, another big fella HB.

If CP/DV must have a RB, and are willing shell out Garner type $$, I'd love for this cap space to be thrown Jamie Sharper's way, and draft LT or Bennett.

ct
but maybe it's just me

Pitt Gorilla
03-22-2001, 02:39 PM
This may sound insane, but should Cloud be given a shot? He is a pretty complete back, at least coming out of college he was, and he hasn't been injured. I think we all agree Moreau should be given a chance. Do we need to get a back, other than T. Henry in the third(please?)? I like Holmes, but I also like sharper.

Packfan
03-22-2001, 04:57 PM
Titus,

First of all, nice FOOTBALL post! Congratulations.

Now, let me address a few of your points:

The Vikings didnt win a championship because they couldnt stop anybody - particularly the Rams. Dont blame George for giving up 40 some points.

Washington Chiefs? Why, because Marty and a few former coaches are there? Hell, call Seattle the Seattle Packers. Coaches are loyal to each other. Call the KC Chiefs the KC Rams. See what I am getting at here?

Marty keeping George and letting Johnson go: Purely for cap reasons. George is scheduled to make 500K next year.

Finally, Deion Sanders. I could give two sh ts about his dance moves. In Deion's prime, he shut down the passing game on his side of the field. He wasnt offered a contract because Carl was never serious to begin with. Carl would rather pay his cap money to overweight, underachieving lineman (Chester and Dan Williams)

I think Marty learned how NOT to build a team from Carl. Marty worked miracles with the dog sh t carl gave him to work with, ie Elvis, Bono, Greg Hill, Linn elliot, Lake Dawson, LaChappell, Doug Terry, Salumua, ect. Nothing but a bunch of stiffs that were soon out of the league after Marty cut them.

Find me another coach in the NFL that could get 13 wins out of Steve Bono.

WisChief
03-22-2001, 05:25 PM
Hey Ken,

Listen I have no intentions of getting into another "yo momma" shouting match with you and with that said... is there anything at all or anyone that you like about the Chiefs?

Now, about Cloud. Pitt I AGREE with you 100%. The guy smoked EJ in the same conference in college and IMO he just has not be used properly or enough. Did'nt he have the longest TD from scrimmage for us in the last 2 years (sweep outside at that)? I think that he pissed someone off (Goonther) and was relagated to returning punts.

KCTitus
03-22-2001, 05:25 PM
Actually, It's you, Ken, that should be congratulated...not one phallic or homosexual reference in the entire post.

So, you cant blame George for giving up 40 pts, who do you blame? I see you really like to blame Grbac for the Raiders game in which KC gave up 40 pts (actually, 38, I rounded).

In any event, the 'average' George couldnt take the best Offense in the NFL to the Superbowl. I know what they needed, Desmond Howard. Had they have had DH, Minnesota, like the Packers might have won a championship.

As far as Washington, you are apparently not aware, but the OC, DC and ST coach of last years Chiefs are in Washington. That's pretty much ALL the coaches, but I wouldnt expect you to pay attention to any other team but KC, so I digress.

Actually, you're wrong about the 'cap reasons', Johnson was a UFA...He didnt want to come back. Something tells me he knows more than you, so if he didnt want to come back, Im sure it's not more than 'talent and coaching' that wins championships.

Before we canonize Marty for getting 13 wins 'out of' Steve Bono, let's rememeber YOUR hypothesis (Im glad you learned the definition today) is that it's talent FIRST and then coaching. So there HAD to be some talent on the KC team or they wouldnt have gone 13-3.

I anxiously await your next squiggle around that one. You might want to ask Denise for some help on that one.

Luzap
03-22-2001, 07:33 PM
I havenít taken part in many football conversations lately because so much is still up in the air, but after much contemplation, I believe we will see four significant changes in our Offense. The first three are rather obviousÖ

1) Different formations
2) Different pass patterns
3) Different play calling

The 4th is the single biggest change I think we will see.

Different O Line run blocking schemes.

I donít think Cloud or Moreau can be considered busts. With the right blocking schemes, either COULD put up big numbers. I love T Rich; he is the total package at FB (run blocking, catching, quick to the hole, power running). I just donít see us utilizing a total package FB that often.

Luz
Donít be surprised to see t rich traded on draft dayÖ

1punkyQB
03-22-2001, 07:40 PM
I'm of the mind that TG and TR can be utilized by the coaches. The offense in StL was centered around the RB and WR's because that's where the talent was, but since we've got Pro Bowlers at TE and FB(well, TR should be. Peter King picked him for All-NFL this year or the year before), our offense will probably lean more in that direction. DV and co. are good enough to adjust to our strengths.

[Edited by 1punkyQB on 03-22-2001 at 07:51 PM]

ct
03-23-2001, 08:53 AM
Find me another coach in the NFL that could get 13 wins out of Steve Bono.
- PackFan

I can do one better. I know of a coach who led his team to a Super Bowl victory with TRENT DILFER!!?!!

I do, however, see your point. Guiding KC to 13-3 with Bono at the helm is a fantastic coaching accomplishment. Also speaks volumes to the caliber of our Defense that season. Tremendous talent on that defense, PLUS great coaching scheme.

ct
talent or coaching...coaching or talent...po-TA-to po-TAH-to