PDA

View Full Version : Beuerlein article in the Sporting News..

Herzig
03-23-2001, 12:00 AM
http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/articles/20010322/304623.html

Gaz
03-23-2001, 12:52 PM
Nice article.

I am almost convinced to give up on Weinke as the starter. If we are going to go with a FA starter, Beuerlein is the better choice. Bring him in and let him slug it out with Collins for the starting job. Draft a QB in the 3rd or 4th as #3 and QBOTF candidate [although I expect us to snatch one in the QB-rich '02 draft as well].

xoxo~
Gaz
not nearly as horrified as he is by the Green deal.

Cormac
03-23-2001, 01:14 PM
Beuerlein is an attractive option. His defying all those injuries and surgeries may not go on forever, but he's worth taking the chance on IMO. It's true there is no other FA QB out there who costs less, and could put up those numbers....who isn't already beat up (see Acheman). He's definitely the pick of the crop IMO. We have nobody to bid against to attract him bar Dallas who have no cap room (again!). The only thing we have to do is make it worth his while not to retire......that might take some millions but not a whole lot either I should think.

I hope for:
1. Beuerlein
2. Collins
3. Quincy Carter (if not, Tuiasosopo then Weinke)

Draft another QB in 2002.

[Edited by Cormac on 03-23-2001 at 01:17 PM]

KCTitus
03-23-2001, 01:18 PM
Gaz: I found a 7 round mock draft last night... has KC taking Weinke in the 5th or 6th.

Check it out:

http://www.nfldraft.net/mock2001.asp

Gaz
03-23-2001, 01:37 PM
I would be stunned were he to drop that far.

xoxo~
Gaz
still likes Weinke as starter in '01.

JohninGpt
03-23-2001, 01:45 PM
In the mock draft that KCTitus posted Weinke is listed in round four #105 overall. Quincy Carter is listed as #103 overall going to Carolina (we also own #104).

Clint in Wichita
03-23-2001, 01:50 PM
I can't imagine Weinke starting for anybody in 2001. I'm always leary of Florida/Florida St./Miami QBs because they are always surrounded by exceptional talent at WR, RB, OL, etc.

There have been so many draft picks wasted on QBs from those 3 schools that I can't recall them all. Wuerffel (sp?) comes to mind...the guy shatters most division 1 passing records, but becomes an inept putz the moment he's drafted.

Just because Weinke is relatively old doesn't mean he's ready to start.

Coogs
03-23-2001, 01:53 PM
This mock draft would be ideal for a trade down situation, as it has David Terrell still on the board until the 17th pick. I could have sworn he was one of the players that could have easily been the first pick in the draft, so if he is still there at #12, there could be many teams clamoring to move up a few spots to grab him.

Also, this draft has us taking TWO defensive ends and no tackles.

I love seeing mock drafts, but am not putting much stock in this particular one at this point.

58Forever
03-23-2001, 01:55 PM
Any one have any information on Beuerlein's injuries...I thought I read somewhere that he was not 100%...if he's physically able to play, I think the Chiefs should go with him if they can't work out a suitable deal for Green...suitable to me means swapping 1st with the rams and giving them one of our thirds...

After reading about Beuerlein, I rather go with him...

Clint in Wichita
03-23-2001, 01:57 PM
Barring a car accident or something, Terrell will be a top 5 pick. If he was by some miracle available at #12, the Chiefs would be foolish not to select him for themselves.

Gaz
03-23-2001, 02:10 PM
Clint-

IMO, there are two QBs in this draft that have the skills, maturity and leadership ability to start this season: Brees and Weinke.

Weinke is bigger, with a stronger arm and he does not cost a 1st Round pick.

If we cannot get a good FA QB [ie: if we have Dilfer and Collins on the roster] then I would draft and start Weinke, with an eye to drafting another QB in the ’02 draft if he does not pan out.

xoxo~
Gaz
disregarding Clint’s interesting criteria for judging QB talent.

Gaz
03-23-2001, 02:12 PM
However, if we can get Beuerlein in FA, I would let him fight it out with Collins for the starting position. Then I would draft Tuiasosopo or Carter as QBOTF candidates.

But I would still keep an eye on the QB class of ’02.

xoxo~
Gaz
weighing the alternatives.

Clint in Wichita
03-23-2001, 02:13 PM
I honestly don't think Weinke could beat out Collins in training camp...on a level playing field.

Gaz
03-23-2001, 02:34 PM
Clint-

I disagree, but that's the fun of a BB, isn't it?

xoxo~
Gaz
sees few better options available.

Clint in Wichita
03-23-2001, 02:47 PM
Let's just hope the QB position doesn't come down to a Weinke or Heupel/Collins "showdown" in training camp. I can't imagine a more pathetic scenario.

Carl makes it as hard as possible to be a fan sometimes.

Gaz
03-23-2001, 03:00 PM
Clint-

There are only two top-tier FA QBs available: Aikman and Beuerlein.

Aikman is one hit away from full-time nursing care, so he drops off my list.

That leaves Beuerlein as the only viable FA QB candidate presenting a sizeable upgrade over Collins or Weinke. I could live with that scenario as long as we all realize the Beuerlein is only a short-term placeholder for our QBOTF.

Do we really want to tie up that kind of cap money in another over-the-hill FA?

I am not certain that we do. I am still of a mind to draft a QB and start him this year. There are only two candidates for that scenario. One of them costs a 1st Round pick, the other is taller, stronger, more mature and costs a 3rd or maybe even 4th Round pick.

xoxo~
Gaz
dismayed at the current level of QB ability in the NFL.