PDA

View Full Version : Interesting read on various FAs market value

ct
03-23-2001, 07:43 AM
Discusses Sharper, Webb, Garner, etc.

FA Market Value (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/inside_game/pat_kirwan/news/2001/03/20/kirwan_insider_mar20/)

ct

Cormac
03-23-2001, 07:50 AM
That's interesting. My thoughts are that:

Garner is now serious value if he can be signed to a deal at $3m per or less. I think he's better than Barber personally.

Simeon Rice signed a 5yr, $34m contract with the Bucs, but he has NO signing bonus according to ESPN.com, and is only guaranteed his base salary of this year, which is $1m!!! He is down for $8.5m base next year, if they decide to keep him (and restructure presumably). I have to admire him for accepting the challenge, because he has really short-changed himself in the short term a la Ricky Williams.

I thought Sharper had gotten a big contract offer from Baltimore and was still considering it??? I had heard about one in the $24-28m range.

ct
03-23-2001, 08:10 AM
I had also heard there was an offer from BMore, perhaps a descrepency here, perhaps only speculation of an offer is what we heard. But I was very interested in the possibility of a discounted Jamie Sharper.

Looks as if Rice is in reputation rebuilding mode. He knows there is NO WAY he sees $8.5M against the Bucs cap next year. He's gone out on a limb, a good faith gesture, with a very small cap # this season, and if they like what they see, I think he gets a $3.5M bonus for picking up the remaining option. Renegotiations would quickly follow.
He has set himself up for a very nice payday, IF he performs well. Christ, alongside that talent of the Bucs D, how could he not look good?

This was one helluva coup for Tampa, that's for sure.

cdcox
03-23-2001, 08:48 AM
After signing Grbac and Searcy, the Ravens pulled their offer to Sharper off the table. He is reported to be none too happy about it.

ct
03-23-2001, 08:52 AM
Unfortunately, it's been stated the Vermiel does not consider LB a need. I certainly beg to differ, but my opinions don't mean squat.

Secretly hoping it's a smokescreen for Morgan.

Mark M
03-23-2001, 08:56 AM
I'm surprised that no one has picked up Kirkland yet. I know he's a bit on the large side for a LB, has had some injury problems (I think ... ?) but the guy is an animal. Slade also seems a bit of a surprise—I was sure that Carolina would snag him with their problems in the LB corps.

As far as the Chiefs go, I'm pretty sure that Garner could be had for less than he is asking, especially with a draft coming up that's full of RB's. Not so sure I want him in the R&G, but for the right price I'd get over it. I also wouldn't mind seeing Kirkland in for a short term deal and have Carl cut Bush's worthless a$$.

Any way it's looked at, it looks like teams are really starting to feel salary cap pressure and have stopped signing players to ridiculous contracts (for the most part. Favre and Bledsoe's deals are a bit outrageous. But other than that, teams seem to be looking for value over anything else, IMO).

MM
~~Likes a good value.

BIG_DADDY
03-23-2001, 08:57 AM
Coryt,

Still hoping we go after Kirkland if the price is right.

ct
03-23-2001, 08:58 AM
From Clayton's Quick Hits, via espn.com:

The Ravens remain confident they can still sign linebacker Jamie Sharper in the next few days. Sharper isn't so confident. He said he feels the Ravens pulled their five-year, $23 million offer and left him scrambling for teams.

"I don?t care about Baltimore," Sharper told local reporters in Carolina. "I?m looking at the teams that want me. I don't appreciate Baltimore taking the offer off the table."

Thought you might be interested.

ct
03-23-2001, 08:59 AM
Also interested in Levon Kirkland, BTW.

ct
03-23-2001, 09:24 AM
Seems to be a few goins on today.

NFL says NO to Rice contract.
Verba signs with Browns.
Rams void trade for Gooch cause of failed physical.

As starved as I am for some football news, pleasantly surprised this morning.

Cormac
03-23-2001, 09:42 AM
I don't know about picking up Kirkland. As much as I have always liked him as a player, he's a band-aid typical of what CP bashers harp on. The little I know about him in the last couple of seasons says he's on the downside of his career. I'm not against signing him, but only for a year or 2, and if LB is a priority, then I'd hope we'd draft someone, or that O'Neal or Atkins would pan out this season. We could use a good LB to go with Maz and Donnie. Patton is declining, but he's better in a better system than most of us think IMO. He should back-up Maz this season. Also I expect a WHOLE lot more out of Bush this season with Robinson's D. Whether a "whole lot more" amounts to anything (a whole lot of nothing is still nothing), remains to be seen, but I don't mind going into this season with our current LB corps, hopefully with Maz in the middle, and Bush getting another chance at OLB, to be replaced by Atkins or O'Neal if necessary...........

The biggest key to our D this year, is getting better D-line play. We need someone who doesn't overpursue through the middle, and actually can play the run. Replacing Chet with Seymour/Rogers/Stroud/even Fatafehi might be the single best move we could make IMO.

BIG_DADDY
03-23-2001, 09:43 AM
coryt,

What, the XFL isn't doing it for ya?

BIG DADDY

Still hoping they make it though.

ct
03-23-2001, 10:29 AM
As much as I love beautiful women in prancin in skimpy outfits, no the XFL just aint' doin it for me. I don't tune in to a football broadcast to see hoes tryin to jiggle in front of the camera. When I want to see some jigglin, I'll go see the wife. When I want to see some football, I'll dig into the video archives before I tune into the XFL.

Cormac, why do you expect production out of Bush in Robinson's scheme? I'm still pretty bitter for fallin for all that BS hype on Bush last offseason, not expecting anything at all outa Lew Limpy Bush.

BIG_DADDY
03-23-2001, 10:45 AM
coryt,

You know it's funny. In other sports (baseball ect.) there is a real support and understanding of needing a minor league for the continued developement of players. Why is there such a media push (Jim Rome ect.) to say that it is just bad football and we don't need minor leagues? The holes are just the bonus program.

BIG DADDY

Did I mention that love strippers?

Cormac
03-23-2001, 12:08 PM
coryt,

I'm hoping Bush will improve with Robinson. It seems as though Denvers LB corps is usually the strength of their Defense, and I'm hoping that whatever schemes Robinson institutes will help Bush play to the level he played at in San Diego. I didn't know him for his stellar play while at SD, but surely there's some truth to the rumours...?

Whatever happens, our LBs will be used differently this season. Last year nobody was allowed play well (apart from individual plays by Donnie and Maz who are playmakers). The overpursuit of our D-line after the QB, combined with the dropping back into a zone by our LBs made it all look bad IMO. I'd prefer to give Limp Bush another chance than Limp Willie :p