PDA

View Full Version : Weir (kcchiefs.com) gives us her thoughts on the draft

Chiefnj
04-25-2007, 11:30 AM
:rolleyes:
WEIR: Arrogance of The Airwaves
Apr 25, 2007, 6:25:02 AM by Eileen Weir - FAQ

Some news stories just won’t go away. Certain incidents so capture the minds and emotions of the public that they become a lasting part of our national conversation. And often, that’s a good thing.

The Don Imus disgrace and subsequent firing continues to be a topic of much debate and examination by the media and media consumers. In a distorted sense, Imus effectively performed a great service to the American public by reigniting a dialogue about not only race relations in the 21st century but the boundaries of taste and decorum in the modern day press. NBC serendipitously joined the discussion by selecting to air the video delivered to its network headquarters by mass murderer Cho Seung-Hui during his two-hour respite between shootings at the Virginia Tech campus.

In both cases the motives of the media have come under public and, more significantly, advertisers’ scrutiny.

A known troublemaker who has built his reputation by non-discriminately offending people and politicians from all walks of life, Imus finally crossed the one line that advertisers, and presumably viewers and listeners, deemed could not be breached. The shock-jock’s wholesale insult of women, blacks, and female collegiate athletes formed the perfect triangular trap of sacred statuses that in combination are granted impunity by the American marketplace. Civil rights activists, leaders of the black community, and women’s advocacy groups rightly condemned CBS Radio and MSNBC for hesitating to can the popular talk show host, calling the decision one of economic reality rather than one of courageous moral fortitude.

Well, no duh.

As a Caucasian Christian of European descent, I yield to almost everybody when it comes to matters of bigotry and racism. Born by good fortune into the white middle class that remains the foundation and majority of our culture, I have felt minimally the sting of discrimination, though my gender and Catholicism have earned me some degree of suspicion and exclusion in certain circles. In the debate over the treatment of and attitude towards minorities that prevails in this country, I concede to those for whom being African American, Hispanic, Asian, Muslim, Jewish or otherwise outside the traditional American mainstream is a permanent condition. If Jason Whitlock, Oprah, Rev. Al Sharpton, and Rev. Jesse Jackson assert that racism and racial misogyny are alive and well in the good ole’ U.S. of A., who am I to argue?

Was Don Imus given the pink slip because he is a racist? Of course not. The media conglomerates who presuppose their power to reflect and dictate the belief system of the citizenship don’t care about offending anyone and everyone regardless of race, creed, color or gender. If they did, there would be precious little on the airwaves and no such program as “Wife Swap.” What could be more offensive to married couples than a reality show predicated on the passing over the fence of marital partners like so many cups of sugar?

Sure, the Imus decision was based on revenue, or more precisely, the threatened reduction of same. A manufactured apology and staged disarmament meeting between Imus and the Rutgers women’s basketball team that ironically landed New Jersey Governor Jon Corzine in critical condition at a local hospital, struck everyone as false and made-for-TV. As a sidelight, proving its ability to never miss a trick, the media was quick to expose the governor as a criminal for failing to wear his seatbelt while riding on the front passenger’s side of his chauffeured SUV.

The public has not reached a consensus decision on whether or not Don Imus is a racist. Regardless of his intent, he belittled and degraded the Rutgers athletes by the worst means possible, by employing not one but two derogatory and racially-charged epithets. In my book, that makes him a bigot. Using careless language to describe the physical features and personal character of others but co-denying that you are a racist is like blackening the eye of your girlfriend when she asks for it but rejecting the title of domestic abuser. Actions and words are the only way in which we reveal the contents of our moral fiber.

Evidenced by the equality debate sparked by the Imus statement is the scope of understanding of institutional discrimination that persists in the world in which we live. Commonly, people underestimate the prevalence of racism in society because they view it as an individual rather than a corporate attitude. Personal acceptance and tolerance of those from a multitude of races, socio-economic position, religious persuasion or political conviction has increased but institutional segregation remains. Like it or not, we all continue to participate in a society that pays women 77 cents for every dollar earned by men and permits private institutions to prohibit certain genders and races from membership.

As a student of literary criticism during my academic career, it was impressed on me that the lowest form of analysis is the effort to discern the author’s intent. Once a piece of writing, or in our age an utterance from the mouth of a public figure, is out there for public consumption, the intention of the creator becomes irrelevant. Once published or broadcast, the written and spoken word then become objects of discovery and interpretation by the intended (an unintended) audience. What the author “meant” by the words he penned ceases to be material. What the reader experiences and concludes by reading those words is the only matter of import. The measure of a great author, or a great journalist, is to be utterly absent from the text, removing his or her personality and imposing no bias or influence on the reader’s response to the story.

Why Don Imus chose the adjectives he did to describe the Rutgers team members is simply not the question. The more compelling revelation about the incident is his presumed freedom to do so. If any thought went through the mind of Imus as the unguarded words were exiting his mouth, it certainly could not have been, “I could get fired for this.” The audacity displayed by Imus is a stark indicator of the arrogance assumed by and permitted to the media. Clearly Imus felt empowered to use language reserved for intimates in a non-intimate setting for the basest of reasons: because he could. Judging by the inability and unwillingness of the media to agree upon a standard code of ethics and sanction itself the possibility of penalty for the reckless remarks surely seemed remote.

Though the decision by NBC to air footage of Cho producing a tirade of psychotic threats prior to his carrying out of the Virginia Tech massacre is a bit more debatable based on the news value of the obtained video recording, the motivation for doing so is likely the same. The network executives chose to display it because they could; wagering that NBC would incur no punishment or financial loss by serving it up to the American consumer. Once the barriers of sensitivity towards the victims and families of the V Tech community were demolished, competing media outlets hastened to broadcast and rebroadcast the images on network, cable and Internet sites around the world.

The juxtaposition of the two events has created an enthused frenzy of debate and scrutiny among citizens of our free nation. Ever opportunistic, political candidates eyeing the White House in 2008 have turned both tragedies into stump issues, using the two unrelated occurrences to come down hard on violence in America, both physical assault and ideological cruelty. It all makes for provocative discussion and possibly productive change to our national landscape.

The opinions offered in this column do not necessarily reflect those of the Kansas City Chiefs.

Brock
04-25-2007, 11:32 AM
Christ the Chiefs website sucks.

AndChiefs
04-25-2007, 11:35 AM
Christ the Chiefs website sucks.

We've landed on the moon!!!!

htismaqe
04-25-2007, 11:37 AM
I can't even read it. I couldn't get past the title...

HemiEd
04-25-2007, 11:42 AM
I think this is further evidence of the Japanese plot.

Phobia
04-25-2007, 11:44 AM
I made it to "Don Imus" before I bailed out.

chop
04-25-2007, 11:48 AM
I made it to "Don Imus" before I bailed out.

Same here. :shake:

Phobia
04-25-2007, 11:53 AM
I think these threads are hilarious. Everybody reporting how far they made it.

I wonder if DenIse can even read her.

Count Alex's Losses
04-25-2007, 11:55 AM
Why is she so worthlessly long-winded. God.

htismaqe
04-25-2007, 11:56 AM
I think these threads are hilarious. Everybody reporting how far they made it.

I wonder if DenIse can even read her.

Normally, I don't even open these threads, let alone see how far into them I can read.

But since this one was posted by CNJ instead of shane, I thought I'd give it a whirl.

JBucc
04-25-2007, 11:56 AM
The draft is less than 3 days away and this dumbitch is writing about this. :shake:

Chiefnj
04-25-2007, 12:56 PM
But since this one was posted by CNJ instead of shane, I thought I'd give it a whirl.

I couldn't help myself. Days before the draft with tons of stuff to write about and the Chiefs organization posts an unreadable story about Don Imus. Pathetic.

TinyEvel
04-25-2007, 05:33 PM
If you want to be a news journalist. Go write for the news.
THIS IS SPORTS!!!!

CoMoChief
04-25-2007, 05:38 PM
She might be the worst writer in KC next to Athan.

Fish
04-25-2007, 05:44 PM
Why does Weir still have her job? How did she get there in the first place? Seriously..... I intentionally tried to read the entire article after seeing others not reading past the first paragraph... but I really couldn't make it...

I mean how does somebody start writing a "football" article and have it turn out like a comprehensive study on the digestive system of deep sea mollusks...

I wonder if any of the upper brass read her shit and scratch their heads like this?

shaneo69
04-25-2007, 08:18 PM
Normally, I don't even open these threads, let alone see how far into them I can read.

BWAHAHAHAHA

Easy 6
04-25-2007, 08:50 PM
Even if this WAS a football piece, i would rather hear the little boy who got tackled give his NFL take.

From what i've seen, the Chiefs website is hands down the most boring & plain looking piece of crap in the entire league.

Count Alex's Losses
04-25-2007, 09:03 PM
She might be the worst writer in KC next to Athan.

She's actually a very good writer.

She just needs to stop using so many 50-cent words and write about something INTERESTING.

Her crap reads like diary of a bitchy ****.

Halfcan
04-25-2007, 09:42 PM
Another Don Imus story- PASS!!!

milkman
04-25-2007, 09:44 PM
Can we get a yawning smiley around here please.

88TG88
04-25-2007, 09:50 PM
From what i've seen, the Chiefs website is hands down the most boring & plain looking piece of crap in the entire league.
This is true. That green layout is hideous and they have little to no extras (pics, wallpapers, and what have you). Worst team site by far

ChiefFan31
04-25-2007, 10:10 PM
I made it to about the fourth paragraph where she declared that who is she to question leaders like Al Sparpton, and then mentioned that she was a sheep, then it was blah blah....