PDA

View Full Version : Mort just said on SportsCenter...

Marco Polo
04-25-2007, 05:24 PM
That Green will be a member of the Dolphins either this weekend or in June (really going out on a limb on that one).. and that the Chiefs are NOT actively trading LJ. In fact he said LJ's reps and the Chiefs are negotiating this week on a long-term contract. Shouldn't the Chiefs reps be doing...say... SCOUTING for the draft?!

Sully
04-25-2007, 05:25 PM
I doubt there is much scouting to do at this point. They already know all they need (want) to know.

dr00d
04-25-2007, 05:25 PM
nah...we did after all get the Jet's head coach...and what are they best known for?

drafting a huge turd in the first round and having everyone boo and laugh at them.

Brock
04-25-2007, 05:26 PM
Do you think maybe the scouting department is scouting and the contract department is working on a contract?

cdcox
Negotiating contracts and scouting talent are two completely different skill sets.

kstater
Shouldn't the Chiefs reps be doing...say... SCOUTING for the draft?!

Well I hope that they would see how things go with LJ whether or not he wants to sign a long term deal with the Chiefs before the draft.

suds79
04-25-2007, 05:28 PM
Yesss!!!

I'd expect nothing less from the Chiefs than to hand out a big, fat, long term contract to a RB who just broke the single season rushing attempts record.

Perfect. :banghead:

Hoping that Mort is full of crap..

Fruit Ninja
04-25-2007, 05:53 PM
wrap up lj for the long term. I am on that wagon.

Raiderhader
04-25-2007, 05:54 PM
Do you think maybe the scouting department is scouting and the contract department is working on a contract?

What a silly notion.

Mr. Laz
04-25-2007, 05:56 PM
i hope the Chiefs are doing BOTH .......

negotiating with LJ and shopping him around for possible deals.

gotta work both fronts and whichever turns out to be the best for the team, you go with.

always keep your options open

Direckshun
04-25-2007, 05:56 PM
LJ. LJ. LJ.

WR in the first, WR in the first, WR in the first.

I will turn this car around, children.

Mecca
04-25-2007, 05:57 PM
I wonder what the posts will be like when he starts to break down.......

Eric
04-25-2007, 05:58 PM
If you get a good deal than trade the rapper.

Fruit Ninja
04-25-2007, 06:00 PM
I will say the same thing if he breaks down. All running backs do. one thing i do know, is we will be a better team with him, then without.

There will also be a way to cut him and not take much of a cap hit towards the end of a contract, there always is.

Another thing, if he does somehow get injur4ed or breaks down. so what really? We havent won a sb since the year 1970, whats another year or 2 without winning it? we arent going to win with CP anyways. I been a Chiefs fan long enough to know that.

Mr. Laz
04-25-2007, 06:01 PM
the same posts that happen EVERYTIME people around here didn't want to trade somebody and then ended up with nothing.

:shrug:

i remember when i wanted to trade Szott and everyone freaked out about how you don't trade such a good player.

next year he blew his bicep ..... then after that he wanted to move to new york because of a sick child.

happens all the time

Mecca
04-25-2007, 06:03 PM
I will say the same thing if he breaks down. All running backs do. one thing i do know, is we will be a better team with him, then without.

There will also be a way to cut him and not take much of a cap hit towards the end of a contract, there always is.

Another thing, if he does somehow get injur4ed or breaks down. so what really? We havent won a sb since the year 1970, whats another year or 2 without winning it? we arent going to win with CP anyways. I been a Chiefs fan long enough to know that.

A RB with his carries could break down at any time, it could happen in the 1st or 2nd year of the contract, there's no way to cut him and get out of that with the bonus he wants.

Mr. Laz
04-25-2007, 06:03 PM

the idea is not to just cut him ...... the idea is to use a player at high market value to make the team better in the long run.

buy low ...... trade high

draft a running back .... make him look great ... trade him .

rinse and repeat

Fruit Ninja
04-25-2007, 06:10 PM
A RB with his carries could break down at any time, it could happen in the 1st or 2nd year of the contract, there's no way to cut him and get out of that with the bonus he wants.
Like i said, i think its still worth the risk. We will suck horribly without him. While others want to tank a season and be 4-12. i dont EVER wanna see that shit. I dont even wanna be in the same boat the Raiders are in right now. **** that.

petegz28
04-25-2007, 06:12 PM

You mean they can do that?

ROFL

Fruit Ninja
04-25-2007, 06:12 PM
the idea is not to just cut him ...... the idea is to use a player at high market value to make the team better in the long run.

buy low ...... trade high

draft a running back .... make him look great ... trade him .

rinse and repeat
Are you positive this will work though? Thats the thing, its the risk worth it? i dont think it is personally. Just becuasei t happend for Dallas doesnt mean it can happen for us. Even then, i dont think any team is stupid enough to give up that much for someone after what happend with the Dallas thing.

Mecca
04-25-2007, 06:13 PM
You don't want a chance to pick the best player in college.........we aren't close to winning a Bowl right now, I might be happy with the #1 pick for 1 draft. What's worse 3-13 or 7-9? I think if you aren't going to win I'd rather pick really high.

Brock
04-25-2007, 06:14 PM
Like i said, i think its still worth the risk. We will suck horribly without him. While others want to tank a season and be 4-12. i dont EVER wanna see that shit. I dont even wanna be in the same boat the Raiders are in right now. **** that.

Starting a bunch of young players isn't "tanking". It's progress, no matter if it results in a losing record.

Fruit Ninja
04-25-2007, 06:15 PM
You don't want a chance to pick the best player in college.........we aren't close to winning a Bowl right now, I might be happy with the #1 pick for 1 draft. What's worse 3-13 or 7-9? I think if you aren't going to win I'd rather pick really high.
And that has gotten the chiefs where? so your ****ed if yo0u do, and your ****ed if you don't. Besides who's going to give us much for LJ anyways? No team will. If we can get a Star playing plus some picks, then maybe you think about it, Just draft picks? no thanks.

stlchiefs

Don't bring logic on to this board. MODS, BAN HIM.
:shake:

Fruit Ninja
Starting a bunch of young players isn't "tanking". It's progress, no matter if it results in a losing record.
Yeah, becuase thats what Detroit is doing huh? Even though Detroit really sucks, we have 1 more play off win then they do in the last 30 years.

Mecca
04-25-2007, 06:16 PM
I'd take a 2 and a 4 before I paid him 60 million dollars.

Brock
04-25-2007, 06:17 PM
Yeah, becuase thats what Detroit is doing huh? Even though Detroit really sucks, we have 1 more play off win then they do in the last 30 years.

Well, one would hope that you can draft better than Detroit has. And that one playoff win doesn't really do much for me.

Fruit Ninja
04-25-2007, 06:19 PM
I'd take a 2 and a 4 before I paid him 60 million dollars. You and i both know he wont ever see that 60 million, so i dont see what the big deal is? will he get guaranteed money? Sure. Whoever we put in there is going to eat up money. If its reasonable do it. Cp despite him not being able to win a SB isn't stupid either. I don tthink we have ever really been in cap hell.

Spicy McHaggis
04-25-2007, 06:19 PM

If we keep LJ we're not going to win a SB in the next 1-2 years. If we trade LJ we won't win a SB in the next 1-2 years. So I think that the Chiefs aren't idiots for at least exploring the possibility of trading LJ for future players. If you don't get fair vaule then screw it, keep him. But I think you should always at least listen.

Fruit Ninja
04-25-2007, 06:20 PM
Well, one would hope that you can draft better than Detroit has. And that one playoff win doesn't really do much for me.
Doesnt do shit for me either, My pint is , it doesnt matter if your picking first in the draft for 4 years in a row, or your picking 15th. There is always a chance to draft busts. God knows KC has its share if first round duds.

Fruit Ninja
04-25-2007, 06:20 PM
If we keep LJ we're not going to win a SB in the next 1-2 years. If we trade LJ we won't win a SB in the next 1-2 years. So I think that the Chiefs aren't idiots for at least exploring the possibility of trading LJ for future players. If you don't get fair vaule then screw it, keep him. But I think you should always at least listen.
Chiefs are also in it to fill up the stadium. IF we got into the season with a 30plus year old tight end as our main attraction, CP will see a half filled stadium. You and i both know he will NOT have that shit.

brent102fire
04-25-2007, 06:23 PM
I hope they don't trade LJ...that would make one of the "Top 10 Most Asinine Trades in NFL History" list!!!!!

htismaqe
04-25-2007, 06:25 PM

7-9 is FAR worse.

Brock
04-25-2007, 06:25 PM
Doesnt do shit for me either, My pint is , it doesnt matter if your picking first in the draft for 4 years in a row, or your picking 15th. There is always a chance to draft busts. God knows KC has its share if first round duds.

It's interesting how some teams draft well and others don't and the ones that do are the ones that win championships. Doing it the way KC has been for the past several years (trading draft picks for coaches and old players) is a waste of time.

Brock
04-25-2007, 06:26 PM
I hope they don't trade LJ...that would make one of the "Top 10 Most Asinine Trades in NFL History" list!!!!!

Somebody probably said that about Herschel Walker.

htismaqe
04-25-2007, 06:26 PM
You and i both know he wont ever see that 60 million, so i dont see what the big deal is? will he get guaranteed money? Sure. Whoever we put in there is going to eat up money. If its reasonable do it. Cp despite him not being able to win a SB isn't stupid either. I don tthink we have ever really been in cap hell.

HE won't ever see that $60M, but our cap will.

Just like Priest Holmes.

duncan_idaho
04-25-2007, 06:28 PM
I think it all depends on the value of the pick... we can find lots of guys for Herm to slam up the guy 60 percent of the time.

If we can move LJ for a high first round pick - say, high enough to add Joe Thomas - while also adding another third round pick, that puts us in position to have a draft something like this:

Thomas
A WR or CB (Meachem, Rice, Ross, etc) with our 1st round pick
Chris Henry, RB, Arizona in the third (an LJ clone in terms of size/speed)

That would make me mucho happy.

Easy 6
04-25-2007, 06:29 PM
Ah, good 'ol Mort, if he says Larrys staying i buy it.

This makes my day.

Thanx Mort!!!

htismaqe
04-25-2007, 06:30 PM
I think it all depends on the value of the pick... we can find lots of guys for Herm to slam up the guy 60 percent of the time.

If we can move LJ for a high first round pick - say, high enough to add Joe Thomas - while also adding another third round pick, that puts us in position to have a draft something like this:

Thomas
A WR or CB (Meachem, Rice, Ross, etc) with our 1st round pick
Chris Henry, RB, Arizona in the third (an LJ clone in terms of size/speed)

That would make me mucho happy.

With a guy like Joe Thomas, we wouldn't be slamming the ball up the gut. You have to have tackles to run outside. Jordan Black is not a tackle.

duncan_idaho
04-25-2007, 06:34 PM
With a guy like Joe Thomas, we wouldn't be slamming the ball up the gut. You have to have tackles to run outside. Jordan Black is not a tackle.

You make a valid point, sir.

OK, to clarify the point I was trying to make - I think the way Herm wants to use LJ limits his ability to do the things that make him so explosive. If we're going to be a power running team, a replacement isn't that hard to find - and I think the slight drop off at running back would be worth it to add a legit talent like Thomas.

Chris Henry or Michael Bush running behind a line including Joe Thomas should be pretty similar to LJ running behind our current assortment.

And that's not even mentioning the upgrade to the passing game...

Uncle_Ted
04-25-2007, 06:38 PM
I'm going to go against the conventional wisdom and say that I hope we sign LJ to a long-term deal instead of trading him, and that he gets a deal comparable to the one Tomlinson got:

-- LT signed his deal at the beginning of the 2004 season. The salary cap has gone up a lot since then (especially this year with the new deal between the owners and the players union). The market has shifted considerably since LT did his deal (consider how many average players received huge contracts in free agency this year).

-- LJ isn't LT, but he is still arguably one of the top 5 RB's in the league.

-- Although we've "run him into the ground" the past 2 years, he has still only played the equivalent of about 2.5 seasons (his rookie season he only had 20 carries, and his second year he had 120). He's still got a lot left in the tank. And he hasn't missed a start since taking over for Priest despite the number of carries he's been given.

-- So what if he's not as good a blocker as T-Rich or as good a receiver as LT or Priest? Few are, which is why a lot of teams go to a third-down back. It'd be great if he were an all-around great player, but very few are. And certainly the chances of us picking up a better RB in the draft are slim.

-- I also don't have a problem with giving him a little extra to reward him for his past play. Carl did it with Priest too, and it's clear that both significantly outplayed their original contracts. We bitch about Carl a lot (myself included), but he demonstrates good management skills by giving these types of "bonuses" to outstanding performers, and that improves the morale of the team. Also, I think LJ was the first first-rounder to sign after the draft, and even though we barely used him his rookie season, he left money on the table in order to make sure he was in camp on time.

If LJ has turned into that much of a locker-room cancer, then he'll be gone. But if he's not, he's still the RB that we are going to get in KC for a long time, and with a decline at both QB and OLine, we're going to need the best RB we can get.

htismaqe
04-25-2007, 06:42 PM
You make a valid point, sir.

OK, to clarify the point I was trying to make - I think the way Herm wants to use LJ limits his ability to do the things that make him so explosive. If we're going to be a power running team, a replacement isn't that hard to find - and I think the slight drop off at running back would be worth it to add a legit talent like Thomas.

Chris Henry or Michael Bush running behind a line including Joe Thomas should be pretty similar to LJ running behind our current assortment.

And that's not even mentioning the upgrade to the passing game...

And the point I was trying to make is that the offense Herm ran in New York suggests that this idea that Herm WANTS to pound the ball into the center's ass is a MYTH.

Herm isn't really a conservative coach. Joe Gibbs is conservative. Herm, like Marty, is a PANIC coach. He WANTS to throw the ball down the field and he wants to run stretch plays. He did both in New York. The problem is that when conditions are absolutely perfect, he crawls into a shell.

As our tackle situation improves, so too will the playcalling. And the instant the situation worsens, he'll shit down his leg.

Mr. Laz
04-25-2007, 06:49 PM
going with Huard instead of Green is a bigger risk ....

we might as well use this season to take a bunch of risks and then just deal with the problems and move on.

htismaqe
04-25-2007, 06:52 PM

we might as well use this season to take a bunch of risks and then just deal with the problems and move on.

Exactly.

And I think Herm agrees with you.

the Talking Can
04-25-2007, 06:59 PM
going with Croyle instead of Green is a mucho bigger risk ....

A MILLION DANCING BANANAS YES!

Mr. Kotter
04-25-2007, 08:03 PM

I enjoy your football posts much more than your political posts. ;)

:clap:

DenverChief
04-25-2007, 08:04 PM

naaah

Count Alex's Losses
04-25-2007, 08:24 PM
I'd take a 2 and a 4 before I paid him 60 million dollars.

I hate you.