PDA

View Full Version : Green's Agent: Green Released If No Deal Past Draft Day

WestCoastReggie
04-25-2007, 08:54 PM
"If it goes past draft day, then I think eventually the Chiefs will be in a position where they have to release Trent Green," Steiner said.

WestCoastReggie
04-25-2007, 08:54 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=AtDMk3s4i9REC8RB16zhlGRDubYF?slug=jc-green042507&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

SPchief
04-25-2007, 08:55 PM
Misleading title
All it is is speculation by Greens agent.

Mecca
04-25-2007, 08:56 PM
That's a nice way of saying "if they don't trade me I'm going to force a trade"

I seem to recall alot of people saying he wouldn't do that....

BigRock
04-25-2007, 08:57 PM
That's a nice way of saying "if they don't trade me I'm going to force a trade"

I seem to recall alot of people saying he wouldn't do that....
What are you talking about? It's Green's agent saying "if they don't trade him I think they'll eventually have to release him". How is that saying "if they don't trade him he's going to force a trade"? And what does that even mean?

HMc
04-25-2007, 08:58 PM
how can he force anything?

Brock
04-25-2007, 08:59 PM
Yeah, he'll be released. Right after preseason.

Mecca
04-25-2007, 08:59 PM
Well it's his agent implying if he's not traded he wants a release, he doesn't wanna play for the Chiefs anymore....

BigRock
04-25-2007, 09:07 PM
Well it's his agent implying if he's not traded he wants a release, he doesn't wanna play for the Chiefs anymore....
No, it's not. It's his agent speculating that if the Chiefs don't trade Trent, then they'll have to cut him because they don't want to keep his salary. What he's implying is that they better trade him before the draft or they risk getting nothing if they just cut him.

Somehow I think Carl's probably aware that if he cuts a player then he's not going to get anything in return.

Mr. Flopnuts
04-25-2007, 09:08 PM

If he's not traded, this is the ONLY acceptable time to release him.

Count Zarth
04-25-2007, 09:11 PM
Suck eggs, Trent.

Chiefs Pantalones
04-25-2007, 09:13 PM
It's a business, Trent.

Direckshun
04-25-2007, 09:14 PM
Trent is totally ****ing the Chiefs in the ass with this shit.

NewChief
04-25-2007, 09:18 PM
ROFL

What happened to all the people right after the season who were just hoping and praying that someone would be so kind as to take Trent's salary and cap hit off the Chiefs' hands?

Mecca
04-25-2007, 09:19 PM
ROFL

What happened to all the people right after the season who were just hoping and praying that someone would be so kind as to take Trent's salary and cap hit off the Chiefs' hands?

Beggers can't be choosers......

I like how we went from "Trent is a class guy" to "**** you Trent" "Trent is ****ing us over"

NewChief
04-25-2007, 09:20 PM

I like how we went from "Trent is a class guy" to "**** you Trent" "Trent is ****ing us over"

Yup. I just want to get the trade done and over. The longer this drags out, the more Trent's legacy in KC is going to be marred. Which sucks, because he still plans on retiring in KC AFAIK.

Halfcan
04-25-2007, 09:24 PM

He has agreed on a new contract-wants to go there- has his bags packed- bought sun screen- said his goodbyes- forwarded his mail- and has done it all with his usual class....

How has he fugged us again??

The Phins have given more out in trade to much lessor players- they are the ones holding up the deal.

Cough up a 2nd and 5th you jackholes!!!

Halfcan
04-25-2007, 09:26 PM
Yup. I just want to get the trade done and over. The longer this drags out, the more Trent's legacy in KC is going to be marred. Which sucks, because he still plans on retiring in KC AFAIK.

Should be put in the Ring of Honor too!!!

I don't see how any of this is his fault. His Legacy is safe.

Mecca
04-25-2007, 09:28 PM
Dude Trent Green isn't worth a 2nd rounder in anyones eyes, let alone a 2 and a 5.

Direckshun
04-25-2007, 09:29 PM

Well... he is a class guy. He's great for the community, he's a true sportsman, and he's a ture leader on the football field.

He's not doing this out of ill will for the Chiefs, he's doing it out of his own desires, and it just so happens to be ****ing us up the ass.

I'm still a fan of Trent. If things that work for him collide with the Chiefs' best interests, he's allowed to want them. He's not an asshole for wanting a trade.

Mile High Mania
04-25-2007, 09:30 PM
The hate against Trent and Dante recently is somewhat amazing.

Direckshun
04-25-2007, 09:32 PM
You've been a member for seven years, and you think the hate on Dante is recent?

ChiefaRoo
04-25-2007, 09:32 PM

What your feeling is the anger against KC's front office and Carl Peterson's multi-decade plan to win the Bowl.

The one thing KC can always count on is punking the Broncos at least one time during the year no matter how good or bad the Chiefs are.

Raiderhader
04-25-2007, 09:36 PM
Well... he is a class guy. He's great for the community, he's a true sportsman, and he's a ture leader on the football field.

He's not doing this out of ill will for the Chiefs, he's doing it out of his own desires, and it just so happens to be ****ing us up the ass.

I'm still a fan of Trent. If things that work for him collide with the Chiefs' best interests, he's allowed to want them. He's not an asshole for wanting a trade.

If anything, it is the exact opposite. I was under the impression that Trent would have finished his career in KC. The fact that the Chiefs no longer want HIM is why he is looking to go else where.

God, the way some of you turn on players who don't deserve it is a bit embarassing.

the Talking Can
04-25-2007, 09:37 PM

where is all this hate for Green? Is there a "we hate Trent thread" somewhere?

being thrilled with getting draft picks for used up players doesn't equal "hating them"

His agent can say what every he wants, his opinion is meaningless.

Direckshun
04-25-2007, 09:37 PM
If anything, it is the exact opposite. I was under the impression that Trent would have finished his career in KC. The fact that the Chiefs no longer want HIM is why he is looking to go else where.

God, the way some of you turn on players who don't deserve it is a bit embarassing.
Since when have I turned on Trent?

What are you smoking?

Joie
04-25-2007, 09:39 PM
I don't think it's hatred toward Trent as much as it's just business. Trent the man is loved in KC. Trent the player is a commodity to be traded at the highest dollar. Like it or not, it's business.

Raiderhader
04-25-2007, 09:40 PM
Since when have I turned on Trent?

What are you smoking?

What am I smoking? I am not the one saying that Trent is f#cking the team up the ass. A more adequate question would be what are YOU smoking that you would type such a thing?

Brock
04-25-2007, 09:43 PM
Trent's a good guy and all, but even Joe Montana got ran out of SF. Shit happens.

boogblaster
04-25-2007, 09:44 PM
Green is quality as a leader a mentor and a good back-up to have on the sidelines..I wish the best for him ....

the Talking Can
04-25-2007, 09:45 PM
Trent's a good guy and all, but even Joe Montana got ran out of SF. Shit happens.

i think Chiefs fans are so used to our franchise doing nothing and being mediocre that any attempt to actually improve the team scares them....

on a scale of 1-10 for negotiations that turn ugly this is a .0003....

Direckshun
04-25-2007, 09:47 PM
What am I smoking? I am not the one saying that Trent is f#cking the team up the ass. A more adequate question would be what are YOU smoking that you would type such a thing?
Chiefs want a mid-rounder.

Dolphins are offering a late rounder.

EVERYTHING at this point is leverage. Trent's agent saying that he could be released, along with reports that Trent is tugging on Carl's sleeve to get things done only encourages Miami to stay put on their offer.

This does not favor the Chiefs who are looking for a mid-rounder, which in turns ****s us up the ass.

Doesn't reflect on what I think of the guy. He has no more obligations in KC at this point, so he doesn't really need to care about what happens to us when he's gone. He's always been a great player and a great guy, but there's no question his recent actions have favored the Dolphins' bargaining position.

Mecca
04-25-2007, 09:48 PM
If Trent is on the Dolphins next year why the **** does he care what happens to the Chiefs? They told him they were going in a different direction if I was him I wouldn't care either.

Direckshun
04-25-2007, 09:49 PM
If Trent is on the Dolphins next year why the **** does he care what happens to the Chiefs? They told him they were going in a different direction if I was him I wouldn't care either.
I don't know exactly who's disagreeing with that, but yeah.

Mecca
04-25-2007, 09:50 PM
The only person I laughed at for his take was Halfcan going "2 and a 5" that was some comedy.

CanadaKC
04-25-2007, 09:51 PM
We've been cursed since Grbac over Gannon. Then Trent for a 2nd rounder...
that pick could have been HUGE! Thank God Fagliabue is gone...he also jammed it up our collective hoops over Vermeil! If Hall converts into a 5th rounder...you can bet your A$$ that that new commish Fagliabue clone will null any deal offering more than a 7th rounder...it all just smells. Come on CP...
weave your magic this time on draft day.

Brock
04-25-2007, 09:54 PM
We've been cursed since Grbac over Gannon. Then Trent for a 2nd rounder...
that pick could have been HUGE! Thank God Fagliabue is gone...he also jammed it up our collective hoops over Vermeil! If Hall converts into a 5th rounder...you can bet your A$$ that that new commish Fagliabue clone will null any deal offering more than a 7th rounder...it all just smells. Come on CP...
weave your magic this time on draft day.

Trent for a second rounder? Yeah, I wish.

The Bad Guy
04-25-2007, 09:55 PM
The people that think the Chiefs have no leverage are laughable.

The Lions turned down a 5 for Josh McCown.

The fact he knows the playbook inside and out makes him have more value to the Fins. They gave up a 2nd rounder for AJ Feeley for christ sakes. Anything less than a 4 or an early around swap isn't worth trading him to them.

Mecca
04-25-2007, 09:55 PM
Here we go with the "league is out to get the Chiefs" post......

Mecca
04-25-2007, 09:56 PM

The fact he knows the playbook inside and out makes him have more value to the Fins. They gave up a 2nd rounder for AJ Feeley for christ sakes. Anything less than a 4 or an early around swap isn't worth trading him to them.

They turned it down for circumstances, they are afraid if they do the deal the Raiders will take CJ and **** them out of all their trade offers.

CanadaKC
04-25-2007, 09:57 PM
No...we had to give up OUR 2nd rounder to get Trent

Brock
04-25-2007, 09:58 PM

Uh, No....we didn't. We gave up a lot more than a second rounder.

Mecca
04-25-2007, 09:59 PM
He was drunk on that draft day.

wazu
04-25-2007, 10:07 PM
Is his agent trying to ensure that a deal doesn't get done? Why else would he say this?

"Hey Miami - don't bother with a trade. You can have him for free if you just wait until after the draft!"

Mecca
04-25-2007, 10:08 PM
Is his agent trying to ensure that a deal doesn't get done? Why else would he say this?

"Hey Miami - don't bother with a trade. You can have him for free if you just wait until after the draft!"

I think it's his way of telling the Chiefs, if you don't make this trade don't expect him to show up.

Count Zarth
04-25-2007, 10:13 PM
Green's agent is just being a dick.

Uncle_Ted
04-25-2007, 10:19 PM

We gave up our first round pick that year for Green.

ChiefFan31
04-25-2007, 10:19 PM
Green's agent just needs to STFU.

He gets paid when a deal gets done. I don't know why comments have been made in the last week, at least by his agent that sides with Miami's plans. I can understand Trent's motivation to some degree, because that is his future team, but again...his agent needs to shut his mouth and let the people who actually matter get the deal done.

Brock
04-25-2007, 10:20 PM
The Chiefs don't care if he shows up or not. In fact, they'd prefer he didn't.

Bacon Cheeseburger
04-25-2007, 10:22 PM
Green's agent is just being a dick.
Isn't that pretty much what an agent is supposed to do?

Mecca
04-25-2007, 10:22 PM
Trent Green wants to go to Miami so his agent is speaking instead of Trent doesn't make Trent look bad.......

I don't think he's being a dick it's business......

HMc
04-25-2007, 10:31 PM
infact keeping trent on the roster and having him not show up is better than cutting him

Mecca
04-25-2007, 10:38 PM
You guys like paying 7 million dollars so he can do nothing eh?

Brock
04-25-2007, 10:41 PM

We're not paying him anything right now.

Rausch
04-25-2007, 10:41 PM

He's probabl FOS but Carl said on 810 that if Trent was here next year he'd be the starter.

Mr. Kotter
04-25-2007, 10:57 PM

At best, for 7 million....he's our "winner" from a competition for starting QB? Or at, worse, one of the BEST "backups" in the entire league...

Eh, that's hardly "nothing." :rolleyes:

Either Miami gives us what we want, or we have another year to groom Croyle....or a year with the BEST back-up QB in the NFL....

I see either way as a "win." :D

Mr. Kotter
04-25-2007, 10:59 PM
He's probabl FOS but Carl said on 810 that if Trent was here next year he'd be the starter.

THAT'S what Mecca...and his ilk....are "forgetting" in this whole thing.... :)

Slick32
04-25-2007, 11:01 PM

If Trent stays with the Chiefs there is no way that Huard or Croyle can match up with what Green has. If he stays through preseason he will more than likely still be our starter.

Slick32
04-25-2007, 11:04 PM

Check this out, the Chiefs signed him to a contract and now wants to reneg on that contract. Trent isn't driving this situation, the Front Office is.

Mr. Kotter
04-25-2007, 11:10 PM
If Trent stays with the Chiefs there is no way that Huard or Croyle can match up with what Green has. If he stays through preseason he will more than likely still be our starter.
And you know what???

If that's the way the stars align....and Green is our starter for this "rebuilding" year....I think most of us, would be just FINE with that.

THAT is what Miami, and others who are pursuing Green....seem to forget. That we aren't in a position that we have to "GIVE" him away.

WTF? If Trent is back, Brody gets another year under his belt to "bulk up;" and if he isn't back....Brody gets thrown into the "fire" as a second year guy. EITHER scenario....is entirely fine, or cool.

Especially from a team that is likely to go .500 or so....at best, next season---given the state of our OL and DLs. It's gonna take a year or two to restock the trenches. :(

Mecca
04-25-2007, 11:19 PM
.....You know what we gain from Trent starting nothing......so he plays another year we go 8-8, we have another year of not finding out of a young guy can play.

He's 37 it's time to move on and play someone else, it's time to see other guys play. We gain nothing in our future from playing Green. Yea let's resign LJ to a huge deal and keep Green as the starter we can be the exact same thing we were last year......thrilling shit.

Mr. Kotter
04-25-2007, 11:30 PM
.....You know what we gain from Trent starting nothing......so he plays another year we go 8-8, we have another year of not finding out of a young guy can play.

He's 37 it's time to move on and play someone else, it's time to see other guys play. We gain nothing in our future from playing Green. Yea let's resign LJ to a huge deal and keep Green as the starter we can be the exact same thing we were last year......thrilling shit.

If Croyle is AT ALL close to being ready, and Green is on the roster...then I'd agree with you.

My GUESS is Green "wins" the battle for starter; Croyle carries the clipboard for another year, and hits the weights. Not a bad thing.

I think the "last CD/messages from kids" is a good thing. However, there is something to be said....ONCE the schols knew that the teachers migty progreess.
:hmmm:

Halfcan
04-25-2007, 11:31 PM
The only person I laughed at for his take was Halfcan going "2 and a 5" that was some comedy.

just repeating what the Chiefs have wanted all along. I don't think they have changed their minds either.

Slick32
04-25-2007, 11:32 PM

Actually Trent is not 37 yet. He will be 37 this year but at the moment he is 36.

If there is a fair competition at QB, should Trent still be in KC, there isn't any way the best of the group would not be Trent. If you want a better QB now you aren't going to find one on the roster nor are you going to be able to get on traded in.

Our offense sucked last year, but it was due to the constraints put on the OC by the HC. Herman is a defensive coach and has not proven that he can field a balanced offense and defense. He wrecked the offense from the year before he came to KC and doesn't seem intent on improving it again this year.

A significant improvement in the defense might help if the offense can score. If the HC keeps his defense only strategy we won't even go 8-8. If the offense picks up one or two linemen that can hold their own, even marginally, compared to what we had last year, we can win enough games to make the playoffs. If not it doesn't matter who we have in the backfield, QB or RB.

chiefsfan1963
04-25-2007, 11:42 PM
seriously guys do you really think Green is worth a 2nd round pick? get a 4th rounder or whatever you can get and move on. KC has no intention of paying him $7 mil, so get the best draft pick you can get now rather than getting nothing and then releasing him after the draft.

Mecca
04-25-2007, 11:45 PM
If the Chiefs think he's worth a 2nd round pick they're mentally retarded......

Our offense sucks due to a lack of players, look at the Chiefs offense show me where were good at.......they're few and far between.

Halfcan
04-25-2007, 11:46 PM
A starting QB is worth a 2nd- no matter how you try to downplay how terrible/ old/ shitty/ brain damaged Trent is.

Halfcan
04-25-2007, 11:47 PM
If the Chiefs think he's worth a 2nd round pick they're mentally retarded......

Our offense sucks due to a lack of players, look at the Chiefs offense show me where were good at.......they're few and far between.

But it is going to be so much better without LJ, Dante, and Trent.

Mecca
A starting QB is worth a 2nd- no matter how you try to downplay how terrible/ old/ shitty/ brain damaged Trent is.

Steve McNair has something to tell you...........so do the Titans and Ravens.....

Halfcan
Oh and Will Shields.

Mecca
04-25-2007, 11:48 PM
But it is going to be so much better without LJ, Dante, and Trent.

Dante means shit as an offensive player, I think Trent is in massive decline and to me RB is an easy replaceable position.

We lack players in money positions like LT and WR.....and QB at the moment.

Mecca
04-25-2007, 11:49 PM
Oh and Will Shields.

He's a guard.........and he was also not nearly the player he was once.

Halfcan
04-25-2007, 11:59 PM
We just got a 5th for Dante- but yet Green an All Pro is worth less??

You Green haters need to take a cold shower, say your prayers and then go to bed.

Mecca
04-26-2007, 12:07 AM
We just got a 5th for Dante- but yet Green an All Pro is worth less??

You Green haters need to take a cold shower, say your prayers and then go to bed.

Dude look, it's his age and the fact that he is coming off an injury and a poor performance in a playoff game. Trent Green's value could not possibly be any lower.

The Rams wanted a kick returner pretty badly, so to them a 5th was a good deal. A trade you make with 1 team means nothing to a trade you make with another team. The way I value you players and the way you value players may be different just like with any team.

By the way the all pro thing is useless to point out because he wasn't all pro last year.....what he did 2-3-4 years ago is worthless in this debate because the NFL is about what have you done for me lately....you can't trade Green on what he was 3 years ago.

HMc
04-26-2007, 12:07 AM
Look if Green was worth anything like a 2nd he would have been shipped by now, it aint like Carl is holding out for a 1st. They're only worth what someone will pay for them. And when has Trent been an All-Pro? I hate that term being thrown around on everyone who's been to Hawaii

Mecca
04-26-2007, 12:08 AM
Look if Green was worth anything like a 2nd he would have been shipped by now, it aint like Carl is holding out for a 1st. They're only worth what someone will pay for them. And when has Trent been an All-Pro? I hate that term being thrown around on everyone who's been to Hawaii

He was like 3 years ago.....which means little to nothing now, if it did Daunte Culpepper would be worth alot too.

HMc
04-26-2007, 12:10 AM
is there a link? i assume we're talking about 2nd team All Pro?

Mecca
04-26-2007, 12:13 AM
is there a link? i assume we're talking about 2nd team All Pro?

He means he made the Pro Bowl, Trent's never been on the "All Pro" team they put out.

He was one of the backup Pro Bowl QB's a few years ago.

HMc
04-26-2007, 12:18 AM
so...he hasn't been an All Pro after all? I'm aware he's been a Pro Bowler.

Mecca
04-26-2007, 12:19 AM
Green plays in the same conference as Peyton Manning and Tom Brady he ain't never sniffed the All Pro team.

HMc
04-26-2007, 12:22 AM
Conferences don't have shit to do with the AP All Pro team Mecca.

Mecca
04-26-2007, 12:26 AM
Well either way, he's never been on it.

Mecca
04-26-2007, 01:04 AM
I really, really, really don't want Trent Green down here. Look at the negatives...he's older than most QB's in the league, he's oft injured and the Chiefs want too much for him. To be honest, I wouldn't consider signing him as a free agent, unless he agreed to a really low priced deal, maybe with incentives thrown in there. I really believe the fins missed the boat by not giving Carr what he wanted. They have no chance of drafting Brady Quinn at all unless they make a deal to trade up and Detroit is going to ask for the world...there's really noone else out there that could make the impact the Fins are looking for.

That's a Dolphin fans take.......

mcan
04-26-2007, 02:08 AM
We have the cap room.

If the Dolphins don't want to give us a first day pick, then we should let Trent compete. Worst case scenerio is that we pay our haggered old vet to sit on the bench on and mentor our younger guys. Best case scenerio is that we go to training camp and it's really clear that Trent is back to his old self, putting up Pro-Bowl numbers again.

Mecca
04-26-2007, 02:11 AM
Other than that whole he doesn't wanna play for the Chiefs anymore thing....

mcan
04-26-2007, 02:16 AM
Other than that whole he doesn't wanna play for the Chiefs anymore thing....

I don't think he wants out of town so much as he knows he is being traded and would rather go to Miami than Cleveland; and if it's going to happen, he'd like it to happen soon so he can get down there and start working with them right away.

Mecca
04-26-2007, 02:20 AM
When your agent floats this sorta thing it pretty much says "I don't wanna be here anymore"

Fruit Ninja
04-26-2007, 02:28 AM
When your agent floats this sorta thing it pretty much says "I don't wanna be here anymore"
Has Trent Green said he does nto want to be on the Chiefs anymore? If so, i want a direct like of them words. Until i hear them words, None of us know wtf is going on behind closed doors. I know you just wanna cut ties with him right now today, but you know what? we dont have to yet.

ChiefFan31
04-26-2007, 02:29 AM
I think the Jay Feely trade is what is F'ing us right now. The Dolphins brass really screwed the pooch on that one. That is the kind of deal that costs guys jobs. They do not want that happening again, and are really playing hardball.

Now, this is pure speculation on my part. But feel it carries some weight in all of this. I even mean this as far as us getting a 4th.

The Phins want him pretty bad, no matter what is said. So many reasons as to why. It could just be cat and mouse until draft day, and I have had too much time to think about this.

Mecca
04-26-2007, 02:32 AM
Has Trent Green said he does nto want to be on the Chiefs anymore? If so, i want a direct like of them words. Until i hear them words, None of us know wtf is going on behind closed doors. I know you just wanna cut ties with him right now today, but you know what? we dont have to yet.

Well it's easier for the agent to float it because then Trent doesn't come off looking like an ass......

This is a different management team in charge in Miami now, don't expect any more 2nd round picks for QB's.......

Fruit Ninja
04-26-2007, 02:41 AM
Well it's easier for the agent to float it because then Trent doesn't come off looking like an ass......

This is a different management team in charge in Miami now, don't expect any more 2nd round picks for QB's.......
i really dont know whats going to happen, but i do know that if CP is playing tthe game right now. If they lose? then so be it, there is no harm in trying. IF the Fins wanna start with Cleo Lemon as their Quarterback, even better for the AFC< one team we dont have to worry about for a wild card spot. I really dont see a downside to whats going on.

Mecca
04-26-2007, 02:48 AM
LOL........Uh I don't think either the Chiefs or the Dolphins are playing for the playoffs regardless of Trent Green.

Fruit Ninja
04-26-2007, 02:53 AM
LOL........Uh I don't think either the Chiefs or the Dolphins are playing for the playoffs regardless of Trent Green.
Chiefs can sneak in. I believe our D will be better then it was this past year. I dont see how our offense can be much worse then it was last year. I am not predicting a 12-4 season or anything, but i think we can do what we did this past year. I dont see why not.

Mecca
04-26-2007, 02:59 AM
If the Chiefs finish 2nd in the division I'll consider that an accomplishment.

If we were in the NFC I'd be more inclined to agree with you.

Chiefs Pantalones
04-26-2007, 04:45 AM
I wouldn't trade shit for Green, but I think we have the Dolphins by the balls.

Dr. Van Halen
04-26-2007, 06:58 AM

I heard someone (KK?) on the radio say that the Chiefs are in a rebuilding mode and that they would go 4-12 or something next season.

This is the NFL. Every team contends every season. You don't rebuild, you reload, etc.

Brock
04-26-2007, 07:56 AM

I don't mean Green will actually be taking part in team activities. If a trade doesn't happen, they will keep him on the roster however, until the end of preseason. Why? Because it keeps him off of other teams until it's too late.

Brock
04-26-2007, 07:57 AM
I heard someone (KK?) on the radio say that the Chiefs are in a rebuilding mode and that they would go 4-12 or something next season.

This is the NFL. Every team contends every season. You don't rebuild, you reload, etc.

The Chiefs are going to reload, with a bunch of rookie players. They probably won't be contending for a while.

OnTheWarpath58
04-26-2007, 08:20 AM

Exactly.

We can wait until August to release him, if that is in fact the plan.

It's in Miami's best interests to get him in there ASAP.

Something's gonna happen this weekend, I just think this is classic Steiner playing the game......

Raiderhader
04-26-2007, 08:31 AM

Completely understood. I am just trying to point out to some people that that is what is happening - Trent is being run out, not just leaving and screwing the team of his own accord.

Raiderhader
04-26-2007, 08:35 AM
Chiefs want a mid-rounder.

Dolphins are offering a late rounder.

EVERYTHING at this point is leverage. Trent's agent saying that he could be released, along with reports that Trent is tugging on Carl's sleeve to get things done only encourages Miami to stay put on their offer.

This does not favor the Chiefs who are looking for a mid-rounder, which in turns ****s us up the ass.

Doesn't reflect on what I think of the guy. He has no more obligations in KC at this point, so he doesn't really need to care about what happens to us when he's gone. He's always been a great player and a great guy, but there's no question his recent actions have favored the Dolphins' bargaining position.

The Chiefs put themselves in this position, they have f#cked themselves in the ass.

Chiefnj
04-26-2007, 08:38 AM
IF the Fins wanna start with Cleo Lemon as their Quarterback, even better for the AFC< one team we dont have to worry about for a wild card spot. I really dont see a downside to whats going on.

Insert Chiefs for "Fins" and Brodie Croyle for "Cleo Lemon" and you have the view of every other AFC team on the Chiefs.

I don't know why KC fans think the Chiefs QB situation is so much better than the Dolphins. I know playing time was extremely limited, but I'm pretty sure Cleo Lemon's stats are much better than Croyles.

Chiefnj
04-26-2007, 08:40 AM
I don't mean Green will actually be taking part in team activities. If a trade doesn't happen, they will keep him on the roster however, until the end of preseason. Why? Because it keeps him off of other teams until it's too late.

Are the going to lock him out of camp? If he shows up and gets injured aren't there big problems for KC?

Mecca
04-26-2007, 08:43 AM
Are the going to lock him out of camp? If he shows up and gets injured aren't there big problems for KC?

Ha......the Titans did that to McNair.

jspchief
04-26-2007, 08:44 AM
Why are people acting like the agent just leaked a big secret?

Anyone that has remotely paid attention to the situation knows that Green is likely to be released if he isn't traded. The Dolphins already know this.

The reason they will still be willing to give up draft picks is the same reason Dallas gave up picks for Terrell Owens last year, knowing full well that Philly would cut him anyway. They don't want to enter a bidding war with another team. Plus they want him now rather than later.

The Dolphins aren't completely stupid. They know Green's situation. Now it's just a matter of what they are willing to give in exchange for getting Green early, and getting exclusive rights to contract talks.

Iowanian
04-26-2007, 08:54 AM
I don't hate Trent Green. He's been a great Chief and a solid citizen.

I am however a Chiefs fan, not a single player fan....and his time with the Chiefs is obviously over. Given that I'm a Chiefs fan, I'd like it to end amicably, but I'd like the Chiefs to get the best end of the deal possible.

In some ways, trent has negated some of the Chiefs abilities to get the most out of a trade by falling in Love with Miami and brushing off other potential bidders.

Because of that, business is business, and if he can't be traded to miami for a fair price.....I completely agree with keeping him through the preseason. It does nothing to help the Chiefs by letting him go learn another competitors system early.

Chief Faithful
04-26-2007, 09:08 AM
I don't hate Trent Green. He's been a great Chief and a solid citizen.

I am however a Chiefs fan, not a single player fan....and his time with the Chiefs is obviously over. Given that I'm a Chiefs fan, I'd like it to end amicably, but I'd like the Chiefs to get the best end of the deal possible.

In some ways, trent has negated some of the Chiefs abilities to get the most out of a trade by falling in Love with Miami and brushing off other potential bidders.

Because of that, business is business, and if he can't be traded to miami for a fair price.....I completely agree with keeping him through the preseason. It does nothing to help the Chiefs by letting him go learn another competitors system early.

I like it, Green kept as camp fodder.

Iowanian
04-26-2007, 09:17 AM
I'm in line that if he's going to be cut, and wouldn't have an opportunity as a starter, he'll be kept on the roster, but kept out of team activities, so as not to be injured, thereby sticking them with his salary.

I don't see green as blameless if it gets less than friendly....as he's the one who wouldn't talk to Cleveland.

siberian khatru
04-26-2007, 09:34 AM
Ha......the Titans did that to McNair.

Yeah, but that was because they were racist.

Direckshun
04-26-2007, 10:09 AM
I think the best deal the Chiefs are going to get out of this is a conditional pick.

If Trent puts up certain numbers or the Dolphins finish with a certain record with Trent at QB, we get a 3rd or a 4th. If Trent gets obliterated behind that crappy OL of theirs, the Chiefs get the 6th the Dolphins were offering.

The Dolphins need Trent, I don't care what their stupid fans think -- they're rooting for a team with a dolphin on the helmet. Cleo Lemon won't get the job done and they don't want to start a rookie, who's going to be nowhere as talented as Jamarcus or Brady.

The Chiefs need to get rid of Trent. He's a monster cap hit, but that won't matter because he'll want to be released anyway.

The Dolphins, I think, have slightly more leverage, and I believe they only reason they have it is because what Trent and his agent have said in recent days.

Mr. Laz
04-26-2007, 10:24 AM
and this is why miami low-balled the offer and why Green isn't traded already.

Green himself

he has done his best to give Miami has much leverage as he can.

not that i blame him for screwing us .... Carl/Herm are firing him.

Wile_E_Coyote
04-26-2007, 10:45 AM
Trent should just retire & run for Governor. Between the Chief fans & Ram fans he won't even have to have a platform

Fruit Ninja
04-26-2007, 10:59 AM

Your first problem was listning to KK. DUde is annoyng as hell to listen too. I would rather listen to Jim Rome.

How many of us thought we were doomed when Trent went down last year? Yet we still competed and eventually got into the play offs despite Trent coming back and playing pretty horrible.

I think our D will be better. Our O cannot get much worse then it was last year. It was painful to watch.

jspchief
04-26-2007, 11:32 AM
and this is why miami low-balled the offer and why Green isn't traded already.

Green himself

he has done his best to give Miami has much leverage as he can.

not that i blame him for screwing us .... Carl/Herm are firing him.Eh?

First off, I doubt Green has any impact at all on any leverage that Miami does or does not have.

Second, saying he's going to be jobless in a few months doesn't exactly do much for Green's own leverage in regards to any contract talks he's having with Miami.

If anything, it's in Green's best interest to make himself appear more valuable rather than less. Somehow I doubt he'd risk taking a bite out of his own paycheck just to spite the Chiefs.

Mr. Laz
04-26-2007, 03:34 PM
Eh?

First off, I doubt Green has any impact at all on any leverage that Miami does or does not have.

Second, saying he's going to be jobless in a few months doesn't exactly do much for Green's own leverage in regards to any contract talks he's having with Miami.

If anything, it's in Green's best interest to make himself appear more valuable rather than less. Somehow I doubt he'd risk taking a bite out of his own paycheck just to spite the Chiefs.
Of course Trent Green has plenty of impact

cleveland was interested in Green until he wouldn't go for a visit. I imagine a few other teams would of be interested too but Green made it completely clear that it was miami and miami only.

miami's leverage is totally different after Green openly says that they are (basically) the only team he is willing to renegotiate his contract for.

miami says KC has no real options but us or cut him .. so they lowball the offer.

yes, jobless for only a few months ... but he is still getting fired. Also considering his new job is going to pay him much,much less than they one he just got fired from.

it's only in Green's best interest IF he is willing to go to other teams. If he has already decided he wants miami there isn't any 'shopping' himself around to be done.

Crashride
04-26-2007, 03:49 PM
Of course Trent Green has plenty of impact

cleveland was interested in Green until he would go for a visit. I imagine a few other teams would of be interested too but Green made it completely clear that it was miami and miami only.

miami's leverage is totally different after Green openly says that they are (basically) the only team he is willing to renegotiate his contract for.

miami says KC has no real options but us or cut him .. so they lowball the offer.

yes jobless for only a few months ... but he is still getting fired. Also considering his new job is going to pay him much,much less than they one he just got fired from.

it's only in Green's best interest IF he is willing to go to other teams. If he has already decided he wants miami there isn't any 'shopping' himself around to be done.

Solid

Mr. Laz
04-27-2007, 11:33 AM
Solid
you are a wise man

:p

htismaqe
04-27-2007, 11:46 AM
I read through this whole thread and I didn't see anyone address how pathetically non-specific the quote from Steiner was...

"If it goes past draft day, then I think eventually the Chiefs will be in a position where they have to release Trent Green," Steiner said.

If you read that for what it's worth, "eventually" could be Monday or it could be October...

Chiefnj
04-27-2007, 12:15 PM
I read through this whole thread and I didn't see anyone address how pathetically non-specific the quote from Steiner was...

If you read that for what it's worth, "eventually" could be Monday or it could be October...

I couldn't tell if it was a veiled threat or not. Could Trent and Miami collude (is that a word?) and agree that if he's not traded by Saturday/Sunday then Miami will take the position they will not trade for him at all?

the Talking Can
04-27-2007, 12:36 PM
I can't believe they can't find some middle ground here.

They need a starting QB, we need some picks.

Come on, I want some extra picks fellas...

Mr. Laz
04-27-2007, 12:38 PM
I couldn't tell if it was a veiled threat or not. Could Trent and Miami collude (is that a word?) and agree that if he's not traded by Saturday/Sunday then Miami will take the position they will not trade for him at all?
imo Green and Miami are already in collusion

they have talked ... reached an agreement about a contract, have decided the best way to put the pressure on the Chiefs.

the Talking Can
04-27-2007, 12:41 PM
imo Green and Miami are already in collusion

they have talked ... reached an agreement about a contract, have decided the best way to put the pressure on the Chiefs.

I agree...they figured they could used Green's nice guy image to guilt the Chiefs into giving up a starting QB for free....

it almost worked, a lot of fans (ok, one at least...) fell for it...."Carl is a bad guy, Carl is stubborn, Carl is asking for too much, etc.."....but never a peep about the insulting offer from Miami

keg in kc
04-27-2007, 12:42 PM
I'm assuming we gave him permission to talk with Miami, which means it wouldn't be collusion.

the Talking Can
04-27-2007, 12:44 PM
I'm assuming we gave him permission to talk with Miami, which means it wouldn't be collusion.

just in the general sense, not in strict legal terms

Mr. Laz
04-27-2007, 12:45 PM
I agree...they figured they could used Green's nice guy image to guilt the Chiefs into giving up a starting QB for free....

it almost worked, a lot of fans (ok, one at least...) fell for it...."Carl is a bad guy, Carl is stubborn, Carl is asking for too much, etc.."....but never a peep about the insulting offer from Miami
yeppers

as far as i'm concern the very least we should do is keep Green on the roster until 11:59p.m. the day before the season starts.

if not just keep him on the roster all year as the 2nd string QB

Huard might not continue playing well

Croyle might not stay healthy

The offer for Green is worthless

we have the cap room ... keeping Green is worth more than a 6th or 7th round draft pick.

keg in kc
04-27-2007, 12:46 PM
just in the general sense, not in strict legal termsEh, well, I don't see this as any different from any other trade.

Green does like to stretch them out, doesn't he...

Mr. Laz
04-27-2007, 12:47 PM

Chiefnj
04-27-2007, 12:55 PM

I know we gave them permission to speak and agree upon a contract. I was talking about whether they agreed to both take the position that if no deal is done by draft day then neither party is interested.

Chiefnj
04-27-2007, 12:56 PM
[QUOTE=Laz]yeppers

as far as i'm concern the very least we should do is keep Green on the roster until 11:59p.m. the day before the season starts.

[QUOTE]

Does that still count as doing Trent a favor??

keg in kc
04-27-2007, 01:06 PM
I know we gave them permission to speak and agree upon a contract. I was talking about whether they agreed to both take the position that if no deal is done by draft day then neither party is interested.I haven't seen anything that would indicate to me that they've done that. Steiner's statement read as long term to me, and I think it's both a fair and valid statement to make. We all know the Chiefs can keep Green on the roster; I don't think anyone expected that they will.

I don't have any idea what the league office's position would be if that is the case, however. I still don't see this as different from any other trade. It's just posturing. We're playing a game of chicken right now, and nobody is blinking.

J Diddy
04-27-2007, 01:18 PM
Draw that poor guy a woman.