PDA

View Full Version : A brief history of Dick Vermeil as an NFL head coach

keg in kc
03-25-2001, 06:12 PM
For the benefit of everyone here, I've worked up a brief history lesson on the NFL head-coaching career of Dick Vermeil:

He began coaching the Philadelphia Eagles in 1976, a team that hadn't posted a winning record in a decade - they had a record of 39-81-6 between 1967 and 1975. His first two years he was 9-19. In 1978, his third year, the Eagles went 9-7 and to the playoffs. He was NFC coach of the year. In 1979 they went 11-5. In 1980 they went 12-4, which is still a franchise record, and to the Super Bowl, and Vermeil was named NFL coach of the year. They went 10-6 in 1981. All-in-all, after 12 years of sub .500 records, he coached the Eagles into the playoffs for 4 consecutive years. And, I should add, despite those first two years, where, again, the team went 9-19, he is the 2nd winningest coach in Eagles franchise history with a 54-47 record.

When Vermeil arrived in St. Louis in 1997, the Rams were without question the worst organization in the NFL. They were 36-76 from 1990 to 1996, and didn't go better than 7-9 in that stretch. For the first two years, they were 9-23. Then, in year three, they posted a franchise record 13-3 regular season mark, won the Super Bowl, and Vermeil was named NFL coach of the year once again.

I will make no commentary other than to say that I think his performance as a head coach speaks for itself, and he deserves both respect from us for what he has done as well as a legitimate chance to succeed as head coach of the Chiefs.

If you want to see some other information, please consult the Chiefs website, which has a brief article outlining the life and career of Dick Vermeil: http://www.kcchiefs.com/latest/mainnews.asp?storyID=2049&cat=1.

And, finally, the information that I outlined above is my own work, and hence not available anywhere online (to my knowledge), but if you desire to check my figures, by all means please do so. The history (in terms of performance and record) of every NFL franchise is available at: http://www.angelfire.com/tn/pkholling/indexNFLteams.html.

PostalChief
03-25-2001, 06:44 PM
keg,

I noticed your location being 'KC North'. Are you anywhere near Parkville?

milkman
03-25-2001, 06:55 PM
Kegger,
I respect what Tearmeil has done in the past, but my gut tells me that he is the wrong man for the job in
KC at this particular time.
I also don't believe that he is being as candid with fans as most seem to think.
I say what's on my mind. I dont like Tearmeil in KC.

keg in kc
03-25-2001, 07:01 PM
Postal Chief, I live just a hair south of Barry Road right now, but we're moving a good bit south starting next week. I really like it up here, but it's just too expensive for us to buy a new home in the northland. Our rent right now is about $150/month more than all of our mortgage costs will be starting in May...

WisChief
03-26-2001, 08:13 AM
I still have very mixed emotions about "Tearmeil" (I like that :D )

As shown by Keg, he is a proven winner at EVERY level - something KC has not had in, as Ken will remind us, 31 very long years.

I say lets keep our wits for a min of 2 years and then hang him by his nutz and then watch him cry if we don't have a "final four" appearance in the third year.

Cormac
03-26-2001, 09:39 AM
Advantages to having DV:
Ability to build from the ground up, culminating in bringing 2 teams to SBs (see Kyle's excellent summary)
Really wants to be here
Should work well with CP, and maybe between them they'll make better decisions
Should be much more respected by players than Gun turned out to be in the end
Brought about the demise of the stooges!!! :D (should be at the top!)
Already making good changes in personnel (ie. Chet is cut, everyone else should feel he needs to step up. Are you listening Dan Williams :) Team is getting younger)
Teaching probable new HC on the job (building for the future)
Brings wide-open passing offense

Disadvantages to having DV:
Cost the #43 pick and a spare 3rd next year
I'm not confident in the DC and STC hirings :eek:...yet
May not serve as HC for very long (but he has Saunders in the wings)
Are he and CP leading us down the garden path (personally I doubt it, these guys are professionals first despite what we tend to believe at times).
Rumoured to have not lobbied hard for Faulk (so what, they still got him, he didn't block it)
Only a good coach because he lucked into Warner and Faulk (Luck favours the prepared man, I don't mind if he brings that luck with him)
Made a terrible decision by drafting Lawrence Phillips straight out of jail (no argument!)
May push too hard for Green (so far CP is holding all the cards, and anyway, who knows if it's not the best idea???)
Cries a lot??? May be too emotional to earn respect of players (hasn't happened yet in his career)

All in all, DV may not be the best or most popular hiring, but seeing as we have CP for another 5 years, I'm excited mostly about the decision making which they may do between them. DV has a proven record which is something Gun never had, and still doesn't at the HC level. The stooges are gone! (feel the overall football IQ level rise!). So he cost us 1 draft player (and one other we lucked into by someone finally hiring Marty). Small price to pay for a SB winning coach. It may take a couple of quiet years (as it has in his system before), but it might just all be worth it in the end.

JM long-winded O.

htismaqe
03-26-2001, 09:49 AM
Milkman,

I for one am glad that we changed finally. The last 2 years of Goonther was a continuation of the last 2 agonizing years under Marty. I am not a big DV fan, but at least we did something different.

If you don't like him for the job, who would you have?

Gaz
03-26-2001, 10:21 AM
I would have preferred to skip the middle man and go directly to Saunders as HC.

xoxo~
Gaz
Really missing that 2nd Round pick [Tagliabue sucks!]

Baby Lee
03-26-2001, 10:40 AM
Made a terrible decision by drafting Lawrence Phillips straight out of jail (no argument!)

Yeah, and Life's Mikey died from eating Pop Rocks and drinking soda. :) This is how urban legands get started. Lawrence Phillips was the #6 overall pick by the Rich Brooks regime, one year before Vermiel replaced him.

That little issue aside, my biggest pet peeve right now is DV's habit of issuing 'backhanded' compliments. Calling Flutie and 'excellent stopgap' in the thick of negotiations [I use the term generally, as Flutie was 'on the market,' not referring to specific team/player negotiations] nixed any potential for a Flutie/Chiefs love affair. Similar remarks regarding the other available Qbs [except one, relatively unavailable, backup. . . Hmm.] Have sent subtle vibes of coolness their way, making clear what would make DV happy and what would make DV less than happy.

Now the wistful, "I wish I could have coached Grunhard when he was good" [I know that isn't the exact quote]. Call me cynical, but I sense that there is more to this, considering DV's man-crush on Green, and Grunny's petit man-crush on another recently departed Qb.

Baby Lee
03-26-2001, 11:16 AM
Case in point. Speaking of Tony Banks [who I don't support bringing in, but the quote shows the mindset of DV];

"I think personally he's got a better opportunity (in Dallas)," Vermeil said. "He is the starter there. If I brought him here, he would come here and compete for the job with Todd (Collins). I'm not sure I'm ready to just give him the job. That's true of anybody I'd bring in here, other than somebody I'd trade for."

somebody I'd trade for. . . somebody I'd trade for. . . I just can't crack this guy's code.
So you mean there is someone in the NFL. . . who DV would be willing to trade for. . and he [or she, its such a mystery] is the only person to whom DV would hand the job of Qb outright? Well lets spray a little 'Acme FA repellent' throughout One Arrowhead Drive.

I hope the team holding this mystery player's contract is friendly and unassuming. Maybe we can get him [or her] for a song.

Cormac
03-26-2001, 04:27 PM
JC,

I guess I'm wrong, but I thought DV personally picked Phillips up at the jail in front of cameras. Maybe I just heard it wrong.....

I haven't really been reading/hearing DV's quotes about QBs. I don't live in KC so I probably miss most of the radio stuff etc., but he does tip his hand sometimes. To be honest, if he thinks Green could do that much for KC, and decides to part with the picks, I won't like it, but I'll live with it. This is one case where I think CP and DV together might be better than the sum of the parts. CP is playing poker while DV is (hopefully) filling the roster with people who want to be here (not Chet) and who'll play hard (not Chet!).

Baby Lee
03-26-2001, 04:53 PM
Cormac - what you probably recall is some higher profile back-slapping on DV's part. Lawrence was an albatross, a big investment by the previous regime. DV did talk him up, most assuredly more than he deserved, but he didn't draft him.

On the QB issue - I gotta admit, even with all the considerations of value, Rams/Chiefs diplomatic relations, ability, durability, etc., the determinative factor for me is that I don't want anymore of the Rams' stamp on my team. I have too many friends who are true Rams bandwaggoners, who had no idea the NFL existed before 1999, and I don't even want to contemplate a hint of a whisper of an allegation that these 'along-for-the-riders' are superior in any manner to true Chiefs fans. And I gaurantee, if we get Green, that's how any success will play. Of course any failure will mean "we shoulda got Warner and Martz, not DV and green."

Truly, . . Donko, Seachicken, Faider and Charger fans [Charger fans??????] are supremely wrong-headed, but we can discuss things from a position of mutual respect. I want to maintain as much separation between the Chiefs and Rams as possible as I don't want comparisions and I sure as he!! don't want a rivalry. There's only so much of their nattering I can take.

milkman
03-26-2001, 05:10 PM
Parker,
In answer to your question, I was on here touting Marvin Lewis every chance I could. I personally think he would have the perfect choice for the position. Having heard numerous interviews that he did, I can tell you he was extremly consistent in his opinions, and very well spoken, articulate and intelligient.

Johnny,
That line about cracking Tearmeil's code is classic. LOL.

Gaz,
How were you able to get defense homer in place of regular?

Cormac
03-26-2001, 05:44 PM
JC,

LOL. I couldn't agree more about the "Rams West" crap that people were beginning to hint at earlier in the offseason. I couldn't stand it if that's all we hear either. For that reason alone I was and still am hoping we won't end up with cast-offs like Mike Jones, D'Marco Farr, Ray Agnew?, Todd Lyght etc. As you said, the reasons for not wanting Green go much deeper than that (compensation).

I didn't realise Vermeil wasn't in office in time to draft Phillips. In that case, he did the right thing by at least giving him a chance in the media's eye.

keg in kc
03-26-2001, 06:01 PM
Milkman - I wanted Lewis too, but I understand the reasoning behind the Vermeil hiring, and I support it. I also really don't think he's leaving in two/three years, like most folks, unless we win the Super Bowl. And if we did win the Super Bowl and he leaves, I doubt anyone here would complain one iota...

Gaz - love your title.

Cormac - I don't think any of us want "Rams west" or "Rams lite" or "Rams anything". What I do want, however, is a dominating defense and an explosive offense. If that happens to resemble the Rams of 1999, then so be it. And if we pick up a player or too from St. Louis, who cares, so long as they help the team in some way. Frankly, IMO, they can call us whatever they want if the words "world champion" are somehow attached to it...

soliday
03-26-2001, 07:06 PM
KCJohnny,

Re: the Vermeil quote about "somebody we would trade for", he could be referring to Mark Brunell as well as the obvious Trent Green, so, maybe, give the guy a break.

Soliday