PDA

View Full Version : One On One: Chris Hannon

Count Alex's Losses
04-26-2007, 07:20 PM
http://chiefs.scout.com/2/638803.html

Imagine you’re Chris Hannon before last year’s draft. As a wide receiver at the University of Tennessee, you had a solid career with the Volunteers, but not the sort that makes NFL teams stand up and take notice.

What you do have is crazy athletic ability, speed and potential, and the people who matter are telling you it’s enough to carry you to the next level.

All indications are you’ll be drafted on the second day, and frankly, looking back on your college years, that’s good enough. All you need is the opportunity to show what you can do on the field. There’s one small problem, though.

You watch too much TV.

“Coming out of college, we didn’t go to a bowl game,” said Hannon, “so I was just curious about what people thought about me coming into the league. Kiper had said that I was a late rounder, that I had the speed and the only thing stopping me was I needed to bulk up. A lot of other people were writing that, too, ‘Hannon has the speed, but he needs to bulk up.’ I turned on ESPN and I saw all these guys looking all big, but I was looking at safeties and stuff.”

After listening to the experts, Hannon convinced himself he could improve his draft stock by becoming something he wasn’t - a big, physical receiver. But Hannon’s strengths lie in his speed and quickness, not in mauling opposing cornerbacks.

“I started drinking creatine and working out twice a day,” said Hannon. “Then I messed up my ankle, so I couldn’t run while I was gaining all this weight. I got to the combine and I ran a 4.41, and that was that. I had never run with that weight. At Tennessee, I was like 190, and I ran a 4.29, so everyone was shocked that I had gotten there.”

Even worse, he put on the weight quickly and unhealthily, slowing him down and jeopardizing his chances of getting an NFL look.

“Being a skinny dude all my life, trying to gain all that weight, I gained it all in a month and a half. I gained twenty pounds in a month and a half. I was working out twice a day, and the funny thing is, someone told me to eat carbs because they give you energy. I didn’t know they packed on weight like that. I ate carbs every night.”

The extra weight slowed Hannon down, affecting his timing all season long. Luckily, head coach Herm Edwards and receivers coach Charlie Joiner saw something was going on with the youngster. In last year’s offseason camps, Hannon showed flashes of ability, but at times he dropped passes and looked a little slow.

“I was a little sluggish,” admitted Hannon. “Good thing they called me back. I was 213, but they sent a letter in the mail telling me I needed to be under 203. So, Herm kind of knew something was up, watching me run in college and watching me run now. By the time camp rolled around, I was about 203, right there on the dot, but now I’m at like 195, so I’m back to that speed weight. Other than that, I’ve just been lifting weights, to get my arms right, to get my legs, my lower body right, and I’m gaining muscle the right way.”

This new Hannon could be a boon for the Chiefs. It’s almost as if the team has signed a new player.

Last year, the team was missing a tall, fast, vertical-threat receiver. With the future of Samie Parker (last year’s starter) up in the air, Hannon has an opportunity. Maybe he’ll be the answer, maybe he won’t, but this time, he’s ready for the chance.

shaneo69
04-26-2007, 07:28 PM
He's the next Sean LaChappelle!!11!!!!

CoMoChief
04-26-2007, 07:28 PM
He won't amount to shit. Not in this "Offense for Retards" scheme Herm likes to run.

Fish
04-26-2007, 07:29 PM
I can't wait for the eruption when we don't draft WR till the 5th round....

shaneo69
04-26-2007, 07:31 PM
I can't wait for the eruption when we don't draft WR till the 5th round....

Who needs a WR when we have a RB like Larry Johnson!!!111!!!!

El Jefe
04-26-2007, 07:37 PM
Yawn.

Easy 6
04-26-2007, 07:39 PM
If this guy can catch, we have a player...a 4.29, thats fantastic.

Who knows, he could be the O's Jarred Page.

I want to find out.

penchief
04-26-2007, 08:34 PM
If this guy can catch, we have a player...a 4.29, thats fantastic.

Who knows, he could be the O's Jarred Page.

I want to find out.

Exactly.

If there's one thing that stands out in my mind as a difference in the Edwards era vs. the Vermeil era, it is the fact that Herm will leave no stone unturned before moving on with personnel decisions while Dick will bury a gem in favor of personal loyalty.

the Talking Can
04-26-2007, 08:43 PM
never heard of him

Skip Towne
04-26-2007, 08:44 PM
never heard of him
Me either.

Easy 6
04-26-2007, 08:45 PM
never heard of him

Thats what they said about a bricklayers son from Mississippi...

the Talking Can
04-26-2007, 08:46 PM
Thats what they said about a bricklayers son from Mississippi...

don't know him either

Easy 6
04-26-2007, 08:49 PM
don't know him either

... LMAO ...

Count Alex's Losses
04-26-2007, 08:51 PM
never heard of him

Here's another article Mike wrote about him:

http://chiefs.scout.com/2/626377.html

Skip Towne
04-26-2007, 08:53 PM

Sounds like this no name is the only one who will talk to "Mike".

the Talking Can
04-26-2007, 09:08 PM

trade him

BWillie
04-26-2007, 09:51 PM
Hannon is a classic underachiever. He's been that way all his life. It's not going to change. Hannon is not the answer to our troubles, I don't care how fast he is. He wasn't good at Tennessee, and he's not good now. No excuses.

Mecca
04-26-2007, 09:55 PM
Hannon never started at Tennessee it raises huge questions to me when a reciever was there for 4 years and never started in college......

Fish
04-26-2007, 09:57 PM
Horn³

Phobia
04-26-2007, 09:59 PM
I thought it was an interesting article. Nice work, Nuge.

Count Alex's Losses
04-26-2007, 10:08 PM
Hannon never started at Tennessee it raises huge questions to me when a reciever was there for 4 years and never started in college......

How often did Tom Brady start in college?

Mecca
04-26-2007, 10:10 PM

He started at some point.........he was splitting with Henson but QB and WR are much different positions..........he was a 4th WR basically his entire college career.

the Talking Can
04-26-2007, 10:17 PM

How often did Jerry Rice start in college?

Crashride
04-26-2007, 10:20 PM
media sure seems to be pimping this guy

JimNasium
04-27-2007, 10:11 AM
It is very reminiscent of Jessie Haynes or Ted White.

BigMeatballDave
04-27-2007, 10:47 AM
I find it funny that a couple guys in this thread that are in favor of a youth movement, are not in favor of seeing what this kid can do. Sure, maybe he's not worth a shit. I guess we will see.

Chiefnj
04-27-2007, 10:49 AM
Someone needs to tell him that a 4.41 at the combine for a WR that weighs 213 is very fast.

Count Alex's Losses
04-27-2007, 10:50 AM
Someone needs to tell him that a 4.41 at the combine for a WR that weighs 213 is very fast.

That's what I was telling Nuge the other night. LMAO

I'm excited about this kid.

The Bad Guy
04-27-2007, 10:55 AM
That's what I was telling Nuge the other night. LMAO

I'm excited about this kid.

Big deal. He can run fast. So can a lot of players in the NFL that never amount to shit.

This is a classic Jesse Haynes-type guy.

Lots of off-season hype, no results.

BigMeatballDave
04-27-2007, 11:01 AM
Big deal. He can run fast. So can a lot of players in the NFL that never amount to shit.

This is a classic Jesse Haynes-type guy.

Lots of off-season hype, no results.Doesn't mean he doesn't deserve a shot.

Sure-Oz
04-27-2007, 11:07 AM
i say give the kid a shot, if he sucks big deal...i still think we should draft a WR if that is the bpa

Chiefnj
04-27-2007, 11:18 AM
Doesn't mean he doesn't deserve a shot.

Of course he deserves a shot. He had a shot last year and didn't do anything. Does he deserve another shot? Sure, it wouldn't hurt. That doesn't mean people have to buy into the puzzling hype surrounding him and Webb that came out of nowhere the past week and a half.

Sure-Oz
04-27-2007, 11:20 AM
Of course he deserves a shot. He had a shot last year and didn't do anything. Does he deserve another shot? Sure, it wouldn't hurt. That doesn't mean people have to buy into the puzzling hype surrounding him and Webb that came out of nowhere the past week and a half.
I definetly have zero expectations for both, i don't see how they could be any crappier than sammie parker.

King_Chief_Fan
04-27-2007, 11:23 AM

I wouldn't consider the source of this post to be media.

BigMeatballDave
04-27-2007, 11:25 AM
i don't see how they could be any crappier than sammie parker.This is my point.
:)

Eric
04-27-2007, 11:48 AM
Does anyone know how well he catches the ball?

Chris Meck
04-27-2007, 01:42 PM
You have to keep a couple things in mind-

first, that the offense was REALLY complicated, which was one of Herm's complaints. I remember reading that Herm felt it was problematic to bring new/young players into the flow because it was too much to grasp right away. Perhaps this complaint is because of these two guys in particular?

It's not unusual to find WR talent in late rounds or FA. The idea that you've gotta have the early first round pick WR to develop a number 1 is incorrect. If you were to look at the league's top 10 WR's over the last five years, you'll see that a great many of them were found in rounds other than the first, and some in the very late rounds.

Now, this doesn't mean that we should annoint these two guys as the saviors of our passing game, but it DOES mean that they're two young players with the physical ability to get the job done that have now been on the team for a year learning.

Webb, in particular, looks like at the very least a good KR. Let's let 'em play some before we just decide they're lousy. so far this coaching staff has earned a little leeway.

just sayin....

Easy 6
04-27-2007, 06:34 PM
Doesn't mean he doesn't deserve a shot.

EXACTLY...

He may not pan out, but Herm will give him his shot & besides...all signs are pointing to WR high in the draft, so he & Webb will get pushed or sent to the bench if they dont get it done.

But we GOTTA find out & thats my fave thing about Herm is that he will find out.

Mecca
04-27-2007, 06:57 PM
As long as they don't use this Webb/Hannon shit to justify not picking a WR...

Easy 6
04-27-2007, 07:13 PM
As long as they don't use this Webb/Hannon shit to justify not picking a WR...

We all have our nits to pick with Herm, but i CANNOT imagine him placing his complete faith in 2 unproven pups.

We'll see tomorrow, but my $$$ says we get another young talent & maybe pick up a vet before camp.

SNR
04-27-2007, 07:44 PM
As long as they don't use this Webb/Hannon shit to justify not picking a WR...Oh sure, we'll pick a WR in the draft. Certainly. We'll take the next Craphonso Thorpe in the 5th round with the pick we got for Dante. He'll be injured his rookie season and then never amount to anything after that.

BRILLIANT! :banghead: