PDA

View Full Version : NFL: Possible Super Bowl overseas and adding a 17th game

BigRedChief
04-27-2007, 07:48 AM
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/2007-04-26-notebook_N.htm'

The Associated Press
NEW YORK Commissioner Roger Goodell said Thursday the league is looking into the possibility of playing a Super Bowl outside the United States, although not before 2012 at the earliest.

It was among a range of proposals he announced the league is considering during a meeting with sports editors two days before the league's annual draft.
Goodell said the three most likely international sites for a Super Bowl would be London, Toronto or Mexico City because they are in time zones that would allow the game to be televised in the United States at reasonable hours.

Also, the league also could expand its international appeal by cutting the exhibition season to three games and adding a 17th game, to be played outside the United States.

The NFL already has played one regular-season game in Mexico City and the New York Giants and Miami Dolphins will meet in London next Oct. 28 as part of a planned rotating schedule for annual overseas games involving different teams.

A 17th game would have to be approved by the NFL Players Association, but would solve the problem of taking a home game from a team, as the current plan does. The game in London was scheduled as a Dolphins home date.

There is some talk of changing the date of the Pro Bowl, perhaps to the weekend before the Super Bowl to get more fan attention. There are three years left on the league's contract to play the game in Hawaii, but the league is allowed to move it in one of those years.

NJ Chief Fan
04-27-2007, 08:19 AM
With our luck, it will be the one actual super bowl the Chiefs actually make and its gonna be played in Europe.

Bugeater
04-27-2007, 08:25 AM
A 17th game would have to be approved by the NFL Players Association, but would solve the problem of taking a home game from a team, as the current plan does.
How the hell is that going to work? It may not take a home game away from a team that's playing in an int'l game, but it will still add home games for some teams. Some teams will have 8 home games and others are going to have 9. That's the worst idea ever. And playing a Super Bowl overseas would be blasphemy.

Otis99
04-27-2007, 08:29 AM
How the hell is that going to work? It may not take a home game away from a team that's playing in an int'l game, but it will still add home games for some teams. Some teams will have 8 home games and others are going to have 9. That's the worst idea ever.

There are 32 teams in the NFL, if every single team played a game internationally in the all-new "week 1" you would have 16 games, and each team would be represented.

To me, it would make the most sense for this game to be an interleague game so as not to take away a divisional or conference game from the fans and would be less likely to have playoff implications. So you have 16 AFC-NFC games played in various venues throughout the world. Wouldn't be a problem.

Otis99
04-27-2007, 08:32 AM
changing the date of the Pro Bowl, perhaps to the weekend before the Super Bowl to get more fan attention

Terrible idea. Most likely, the 2 teams facing off in the Super Bowl are going to have quite a few pro bowlers on their squads. No way in hell are the coaches going to allow ANY of their players to play in a meaningless game before the Super Bowl.

I wouldn't be against the idea of doing an MLB-style thing that gives homefield advantage to the team representing the winning league, though. But since the SB is such a huge event there is no way that would ever happen, can't piss off the wine and cheese crowd that actually goes to the game, can we?

Bugeater
04-27-2007, 08:34 AM
There are 32 teams in the NFL, if every single team played a game internationally in the all-new "week 1" you would have 16 games, and each team would be represented.

To me, it would make the most sense for this game to be an interleague game so as not to take away a divisional or conference game from the fans and would be less likely to have playoff implications. So you have 16 AFC-NFC games played in various venues throughout the world. Wouldn't be a problem.
I'm not sure there are 16 viable international venues to play those games in, if that's the plan.

el borracho
04-27-2007, 08:41 AM
ProBowl before the SuperBowl will never ever ever ever ever ever happen. Ever.

Otis99
04-27-2007, 08:43 AM
I'm not sure there are 16 viable international venues to play those games in, if that's the plan.

Now that I think about it, I bet that they wouldn't all play internationally in the same week. Whether there are enough venues or not, my guess would be the NFL wouldn't want to blow its load all in one week. Maybe they would play the game just before each team's bye week.

I think playing international games is lame, but it's pretty obvious the league doesn't care much about the fans anymore. Long as tickets are being sold and the ad revenue rolls in...

Frazod
04-27-2007, 08:44 AM
Apparently the new commissioner is f#cking idiot.

While the Super Bowl was stolen from the average fan years ago, at least it generates revenue for the city in which it is played. And this clown wants to move that overseas? Lovely.

As stated earlier, the idea of having the Pro Bowl a week before the Super Bowl is retarded. None of the Super Bowl participants will play, and one might assume that the two Super Bowl teams might have one or two representatives at that game. Duh.

And football will not supplant soccer as a favorite in Europe, just like soccer will not supplant football as a favorite here. And personally, I LIKE IT THAT WAY. Playing ANY regular season games overseas at all is a dumb idea.

Hey Roger, if you really want to improve the game:

1. Cut down on the ENDLESS F#CKING COMMERCIALS.

2. Cut down on the bullshit factor - lame announcers, stupid plugs for shows on affiliated networks, overhyped halftime crap, etc.

:shake:

Otis99
04-27-2007, 08:59 AM
2. Cut down on the bullshit factor - lame announcers, stupid plugs for shows on affiliated networks, overhyped halftime crap, etc.

The defining moment for me was a combination of two things.

First, Tony Kornheiser on MNF. The guy is even worse than Dennis Miller, which I didn't even think was possible. Tony is good on PTI. I enjoy that show, just like I enjoyed Dennis Miller on Saturday Night Live. But putting those guys in the booth DURING GAMES and delivering running commentary is shameful. Tony is clearly outclassed in every game he's been involved and can't keep up with the pace of the game. His comments are not even entertaining or funny during games.

Second was seeing Jay-Z in the booth with on MNF during a game talking about NASCAR. W-T-F. How much cross-cross-cross-cross promotion can we take? Hey guys, there is a football game going on in case you hadn't noticed. We actually missed a play or two while they were talking to this guy in the booth. What if the QB was picked off and it was returned for a TD or something like that while they were busy asking Jay-Z about his new album?? Do they even care???

I have heard the rhetoric that the networks do this cross promotion crap as a way to try to appeal to women, or people that wouldn't normally watch MNF. Are you kidding me? How many people do you know that turned on the game because they knew that one of the starts from Desperate Housewives was going to do an interview during the 1st quarter?

For my money it doesn't get any better than Ron Jaworski and Dick Vermeil in the booth. Uncle Dick could explain reading a zone defense or describe blocking schemes to a five year old in a way that would make sense. Those two actually offer insightful commentary during games but I guess that's not what the networks want.

Thig Lyfe
04-27-2007, 09:09 AM
I don't think there's a single good idea in that entire article.

BigMeatballDave
04-27-2007, 09:15 AM
Playing the SB in a another country? Is he ****ing stupid?! If he goes through with this, he deserves a swift kick in the junk.

BigRedChief
04-27-2007, 09:56 AM
Playing the SB in a another country? Is he ****ing stupid?! If he goes through with this, he deserves a swift kick in the junk.
I'd agree. The friggin Super Bowl has become an "unofficial" American holiday. To have it played overseas?:cuss:

Frazod
04-27-2007, 10:30 AM
I'd agree. The friggin Super Bowl has become an "unofficial" American holiday. To have it played overseas?:cuss:

Hey, big businesses outsource every other goddamn thing they can overseas to line their f#cking pockets. Why not this, too? Does anybody really think this idea is being floated because these assholes care about the rest of the world liking the NFL? THEY JUST WANT TO CUT EXPENSES. The people who attend the Super Bowl can afford to travel wherever the game is played, and as long as they get luxury accomodations, they won't care.

Hopefully all the Americans who'll be put out of work in the cities where the Super Bowl SHOULD be played will still be able to drown their sorrows in the cheap shitty beer advertised during the endless Super Bowl commercials. 4321

Bugeater
04-27-2007, 11:09 AM
Hey, big businesses outsource every other goddamn thing they can overseas to line their f#cking pockets. Why not this, too? Does anybody really think this idea is being floated because these assholes care about the rest of the world liking the NFL? THEY JUST WANT TO CUT EXPENSES. The people who attend the Super Bowl can afford to travel wherever the game is played, and as long as they get luxury accomodations, they won't care.

Hopefully all the Americans who'll be put out of work in the cities where the Super Bowl SHOULD be played will still be able to drown their sorrows in the cheap shitty beer advertised during the endless Super Bowl commercials. 4321
Considering all the travel costs, I don't see how having it in another country is going to cut expenses.

StcChief
04-27-2007, 11:24 AM
What about taking a HOME/AWAY PS game and putting it on the schedule instead. 4 PS games is really BS.

BigRedChief
04-27-2007, 05:02 PM
What about taking a HOME/AWAY PS game and putting it on the schedule instead. 4 PS games is really BS.
Preaching to the chior.

Crashride
04-27-2007, 05:04 PM
Wow someone should be shot if the superbowl is in another country

Spott
04-27-2007, 05:59 PM
That's completely asanine. This makes about as much sense as having some European soccer league play their championship game over here.

|Zach|
04-27-2007, 06:00 PM
That's completely asanine. This makes about as much sense as having some European soccer league play their championship game over here.
Cool graphic in your sig.

Buck
04-27-2007, 06:27 PM
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Valiant
04-27-2007, 06:40 PM
Good Job Goodell, all your ideas suck ass...

Valiant
04-27-2007, 06:42 PM

I am for getting rid of 1-2 preseason games and adding no more regular season games...

More so just for the record books...

Ultra Peanut
04-27-2007, 07:22 PM
I'm not sure there are 16 viable international venues to play those games in, if that's the plan.Are you talking about places suitable for play, or places suitable for play that would have enough interest in an NFL game to draw a good crowd? The former's way off, but the later may be somewhat realistic. Outside of Germany, American football just doesn't have much global appeal.