PDA

View Full Version : Dwayne Bowe Interview

Tribal Warfare
04-28-2007, 04:37 PM
http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/2007/04/28/qa_with_wr_dwayne_bowe/

Q&A with WR DWAYNE BOWE
Apr 28, 2007, 4:46:20 PM

2007 FIRST-ROUND DRAFT PICK

Q: How does it feel to be drafted by the Kansas City Chiefs?

BOWE: Its a great feeling. Kansas City was my last visit that I went on and I loved it up there. The staff and facilities were nice and Im ready to go there right now and go to work.

Q: Have you followed the Chiefs at all?

BOWE: A little bit because they have a former LSU player in WR Eddie Kennison. I also like watching RB Priest Holmes and RB Larry Johnson.

Q: What did the coaches say when they called you after you were picked?

BOWE: They said that they got me and now its time for me to come in and get to work. I told them that Im on my way to booking a flight and Ill be there.

Q: How would you describe yourself as a wide receiver?

BOWE: Im intimidating and when Im on the field everybody knows that Im going to work whether it is catching, blocking or running. Whatever it takes to win; thats what I add to the team. Most people look at me as a big dominating blocker who can catch the ball and do something with it. I see myself as an all-around receiver.

Q: Are your blocking skills something that you take extra pride in?

BOWE: A receiver doesnt just receive the ball. A lot of guys get it confused and just catch the ball looking pretty. With me, and the coaching staff that I went through, emphasized blocking and being a total package receiver. That is what most NFL teams look for; not being so selfish and just catching the ball. I took pride in that and it paid off for me.

Q: What city are you in right now?

BOWE: Im in Baton Rouge, Louisiana right now.

Q: What are your expectations coming in here for next year? Do you think that you can come in and receive playing time immediately?

BOWE: Most definitely; thats my goal to come in right away and play. Ill come in and learn the system, get the plays down and go to work.

Q: Have you been contacted by Eddie Kennison yet?

BOWE: I have one-hundred missed calls and one-hundred text messages, so Im not sure. Im sure he will call me; a lot of people have been trying to call me while Ive been on the phone with you guys right now.

Q: Have you spoken with him in the past?

BOWE: I was down there two weeks ago and I had a few words with him before he went to work out. He told me that I had a good senior season and that he hoped I would be around with the Chiefs picked. I came in at the right spot, so Im happy and ready to go.

Q: What did you think about QB Brodie Croyle when you played against him at Alabama?

BOWE: Hes a great guy on and off the field. When he steps on the field, he can throw the ball and makes plays. Thats what a team needs and I want to come in there and make plays as well. Well see what happens when I get there.

Q: Have you talked to your teammate QB JaMarcus Russell today?

BOWE: I just talked to him and he said that they (Oakland) were going to whoop us. I told him well see about that. Hes happy for me and he has a lot of stuff going on right now and I do too. Well catch up with each other later on tonight.

JBucc
04-28-2007, 04:40 PM
Q: Have you talked to your teammate QB JaMarcus Russell today?

BOWE: I just talked to him and he said that they (Oakland) were going to whoop us. I told him well see about that. Hes happy for me and he has a lot of stuff going on right now and I do too. Well catch up with each other later on tonight.:LOL:

the Talking Can
04-28-2007, 04:41 PM
cool...sounds like a good attitude

Sully
04-28-2007, 04:42 PM
The Chiefs couldn't fly him in?
He has to book his own flight?

That sounds weird.

Fruit Ninja
04-28-2007, 04:48 PM
I am pretty sure they are putting it on the Chiefs tab.

Tribal Warfare
04-28-2007, 04:49 PM
Q: How would you describe yourself as a wide receiver?

BOWE: Im intimidating and when Im on the field everybody knows that Im going to work whether it is catching, blocking or running. Whatever it takes to win; thats what I add to the team. Most people look at me as a big dominating blocker who can catch the ball and do something with it. I see myself as an all-around receiver.

Sounds like he wants to be a Sterling Sharpe clone.

*Dennis Hopper impression* CHOO CHOO BABY CHOO CHOO *Dennis Hopper Impression*

wazu
04-28-2007, 04:50 PM
cool...sounds like a good attitude

Yep, and lots of energy.

Marco Polo
04-28-2007, 04:53 PM
I think this was a very solid pick. I would've preferred Quinn but I don't think I'll be too mad in the future.

Fairplay
04-28-2007, 04:55 PM
Q: Have you been contacted by Eddie Kennison yet?

BOWE: Yeah, He told me i better not take over his position. I told him don't worry about it old man.

:D

NewChief
04-28-2007, 05:01 PM
I hope you guys' WR curse is finally licked with this pick. The Chiefs deserve a viable stud at WR.

VonneMarie
04-28-2007, 05:02 PM
Yep, and lots of energy.
LMAO

Extra Point
04-28-2007, 05:07 PM
This is the best blocking WR pick. He's not the reincarnation of Sly-Mo!!!

chagrin
04-28-2007, 05:13 PM
looking at the lack of WR's being drafted, yeah I'd say he was the best choice, I see Jarret is still out there, LOL!

Count Zarth
04-28-2007, 06:54 PM
I hope you guys' WR curse is finally licked with this pick. The Chiefs deserve a viable stud at WR.

"you guys?"

Let's just change your name to NewDolphin already.

penchief
04-28-2007, 07:41 PM
I was watching the first round on ESPN when we picked him. I confess to not knowing enough about him but I thought that if we took a receiver is should have been Meachem.

After the pick I decided to listen to the 2nd round on Sirius so I went for a drive. I wanted to let the Bowe pick sink in. Then I heard Gil Brandt say that Bowe is a carbon copy of Michael Irvin, but with better hands. That impressed me. Then I watched some more highlights.

I used to notice how he seemed lumbering when he came off the line. and how it never really looked like he had any quickness. But then I kinda saw what Brandt and some other more enlightened people have been saying. He has really good hands, really good timing, and the ability to get separation (even without quickness or great speed).

That said, it makes sense because of what we're trying to do on offense. Not only is Bowe going to help a young quarterback who might need to quickly chuck it up down the field, it helps spread the field for LJ.

All in all, I was initially disappointed but have come to realize his potential within Herm's scheme of things. He could be our next Otis Taylor type reciever.

Brock
04-28-2007, 07:46 PM
I was watching the first round on ESPN when we picked him. I confess to not knowing enough about him but I thought that if we took a receiver is should have been Meachem.

I was surprised they didn't take Meachem as well.

Tribal Warfare
04-28-2007, 07:46 PM
After the pick I decided to listen to the 2nd round on Sirius so I went for a drive. I wanted to let the Bowe pick sink in. Then I heard Gil Brandt say that Bowe is a carbon copy of Michael Irvin, but with better hands. That impressed me.

Sterling Sharpe compares better than Irving.

penchief
04-28-2007, 08:03 PM
Sterling Sharpe compares better than Irving.

You might be right about that. But Brandt was in Dallas when they drafted Irvin.

Count Zarth
04-28-2007, 08:21 PM
The Chiefs have Webb and Hannon to stretch the field - hopefully.