PDA

View Full Version : Maybe Marty deserves more credit than I gave him...

htismaqe
04-28-2007, 07:45 PM
I mean the Chargers got a couple of good players in Davis and Weddle, but they took both of them about 1 round too early.

The last couple of drafts for them were just about perfect, they were getting value all over the place.

What happened?

Virtua Chief
04-28-2007, 07:53 PM
Norv Turner happened

htismaqe
04-28-2007, 07:57 PM
Norv Turner happened

But everybody (including me) always insisted that AJ Smith was the mind behind Sandy Eggo's great personnel decisions the last few years...

scorpio
04-28-2007, 07:57 PM
This is very encouraging for the rest of the West. I wasn't sure Norv's shittiness would be able to overpower the talent on that team, but I like what I'm seeing so far.

Douche Baggins
04-28-2007, 07:58 PM
Mwahahahaha....Norv is going to destroy that franchise.

chop
04-28-2007, 08:09 PM
I was thinking the same thing. Marty picked some good talent whenever he drafted. He just couldn't draft rb's, wr's, and qb's. He didn't have a problem with the other positions. He actually excelled at the other positions. I thought Marty was an excellent coach during the regular season.

chop
04-28-2007, 08:11 PM
BTW, I was really shocked when I heard that Norv Turner was the Choice to take over for Marty. That is great news for all of us Chiefs fans.

KcMizzou
04-28-2007, 08:13 PM
Mwahahahaha....Norv is going to destroy that franchise.
Here's hoping...

XXXshogunXXX
04-28-2007, 08:20 PM
Its not Norv or Marty behind our drafts, its AJ and Buddy Nix. I doubt Marty had a heavy influence on our drafts the past few years since him and AJ werent on speaking terms. The last time they were on each others good graces, we traded down and skipped on polamalu and landed Sammy Davis. AJ was behind the merriman/rivers/kaeding for Eli Deal.

It looks like this draft was based more on need than best player available. They drafted accordingly.

htismaqe
04-28-2007, 08:32 PM
Its not Norv or Marty behind our drafts, its AJ and Buddy Nix. I doubt Marty had a heavy influence on our drafts the past few years since him and AJ werent on speaking terms. The last time they were on each others good graces, we traded down and skipped on polamalu and landed Sammy Davis. AJ was behind the merriman/rivers/kaeding for Eli Deal.

It looks like this draft was based more on need than best player available. They drafted accordingly.

So why the sudden departure from BPA? Or has Smith always drafted for need and just happened to get value?

XXXshogunXXX
04-28-2007, 08:57 PM
BPA at 30? , TE greg olsen maybe? with gates and manu, that wouldnt have been bright. it looks like it was the BPA and a need. How much of a reach was Davis? 8 picks too early...maybe, it wont matter if he's producing.

It looks like there was a run on OT and DT the next couple of picks, but we already have Mcneil, Olivea was locked up. We're not so much in need of other positions this year, WR and Safety were it. We moved up to get Weddle, becuause we really NEEDED a safety. No harm in trading for weddle, since they had him projected in the 1st. They got what they needed with the first 2 picks.

htismaqe
04-28-2007, 09:12 PM
BPA at 30? , TE greg olsen maybe? with gates and manu, that wouldnt have been bright. it looks like it was the BPA and a need. How much of a reach was Davis? 8 picks too early...maybe, it wont matter if he's producing.

It looks like there was a run on OT and DT the next couple of picks, but we already have Mcneil, Olivea was locked up. We're not so much in need of other positions this year, WR and Safety were it. We moved up to get Weddle, becuause we really NEEDED a safety. No harm in trading for weddle, since they had him projected in the 1st. They got what they needed with the first 2 picks.

Yes, BPA at 30. That's what the Chargers have done the last few years.

Weddle wasn't just a reach, you traded up to get him. I understand the need for a safety, but you took an undersized SS tweener that isn't tough enough to stack the box but isn't fluid enough to cover the deep zone. You could have had Rouse a full round later.

And yeah, Davis wasn't a huge reach. But there were probably better WR's available.

XXXshogunXXX
04-28-2007, 09:24 PM
Cant always rely on BPA. It wouldnt have been wise to draft Quinn if he some how had fallen to them at 30. I trust AJ's judgement. Weddle was high on their boards and they moved up to get him. If they wanted Rouse they wouldve waited. the 2nd pick was the BPA to them.