PDA

View Full Version : Chief's first 3 rounds poll thread

mlyonsd
04-28-2007, 08:55 PM
Since there are many many planeteers that have more inside football sense in their little pinky finger then me I'd like to know how everyone thinks we did in the first three rounds.

Poll forthcoming. It'll be public.

unothadeal
04-28-2007, 08:58 PM
You forgot "E" :p

Sully
04-28-2007, 09:00 PM
I'm grading as a "C."
But I realize I'm not a scout. They picked a WR I'm not fond of at this point, and their 2nd rounder seems like a reach. But we'll see. After last year, I'm willing to wait and see if the grade improves after actually seeing them with the Arrowhead on their hats.

siberian khatru
04-28-2007, 09:02 PM
I voted B, but I think I'd give it a B+.

I like Bowe a lot, and I like the Turk pick better after we got Tank to complement him.

Virtua Chief
04-28-2007, 09:02 PM
I gave it an A so far. If the D-line can give us the pocket pressure we need, we will give Law and Surtain more than enough chances to run one back.

htismaqe
04-28-2007, 09:03 PM
I voted B, but I think I'd give it a B+.

I like Bowe a lot, and I like the Turk pick better after we got Tank to complement him.

You took the words right out of my mouth.

mlyonsd
04-28-2007, 09:03 PM
Mod's.....I had clicked the public option but recieved a server busy message in there somewhere so I'm guessing that's why it doesn't show up as public.

If this could be rectified I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

Mecca
04-28-2007, 09:05 PM
I give it a B.......

Now they get that 4 and get Hughes while getting a Guard.....which can be had on day 2 then this goes up to A-A+ territory, especially if they can get another late find like last year.

JBucc
04-28-2007, 09:05 PM
B+ overall
B for Bowe
B- for Turk
A- for Tank

old_geezer
04-28-2007, 09:07 PM
I gave it B+

We plugged two areas of need (no way in hell we could cover all the bases with 3 choices).

Tank was a great value (even if a gamble) in the 3rd and if things work out he and Turk will make Sims and Hicks just a memory. The WR was necessary even if IMO he's not going to see much real action in this year's edition of Hermball.

Count Zarth
04-28-2007, 09:07 PM
A+

This is the time of year Herm really shines. What a great head coach!

milkman
04-28-2007, 09:10 PM
I give it a B.......

Now they get that 4 and get Hughes while getting a Guard.....which can be had on day 2 then this goes up to A-A+ territory, especially if they can get another late find like last year.

So, no Hughes.

Any other CBs that might work there for you?

Mecca
04-28-2007, 09:10 PM
The Colts stole my corner......bastards......

So uh yea..

Brock
04-28-2007, 09:12 PM
LOL at the D and F votes, morons.

Mecca
David Irons is still up right? I think he'd be a pretty solid pick for us....

DaKCMan AP
B:

I haven't been shy about my disdain for Dwayne Bowe. Now that he's a Chief, though, I'll hope for the best and see if he proves me wrong. I absolutely love the Turk and Tank picks though!

blueballs
04-28-2007, 09:13 PM
they forgot about special teams
what kind of morron is this group

unothadeal
04-28-2007, 09:17 PM
A+

This is the time of year Herm really shines. What a great head coach!
http://www.femalefirst.co.uk/images/simpsons-homer.jpg

Logical
04-28-2007, 09:17 PM
I liked the WR pick
I did not like the tweener 2nd round pick
The third rounder has motivation problems and that worries me.

Direckshun
04-28-2007, 09:18 PM
Undecided.

go bowe
04-28-2007, 09:21 PM
they forgot about special teams
what kind of morron is this group
aw, c'mon...

you know it's moran, not morron...

moran, you know, is like an idjit...

ChiefsCountry
04-28-2007, 09:25 PM
I gave an A bc we got value. We basically got a 1st round talent in the 3rd round. That is good value. Plus I like the Bowe pick alot. Good draft for the Chiefs. I wish we could have gotten Yanda but the two DTs should be fine.

banyon
04-28-2007, 09:29 PM
I wish we could've slid up a pick or two to steal Quinn, but overall looks pretty solid.

htismaqe
04-28-2007, 09:30 PM
I wish we could've slid up a pick or two to steal Quinn, but overall looks pretty solid.

We didn't have enough picks to justify trading up for anybody, really. Especially Quinn.

wazu
04-28-2007, 09:32 PM
Overall C+

Bowe B-
McBride D-
Tank B+

BigMeatballDave
04-28-2007, 09:35 PM
A+

This is the time of year Herm really shines. What a great head coach!With all your flip-flopping, you'd make a great politician...
:)

banyon
04-28-2007, 09:36 PM
We didn't have enough picks to justify trading up for anybody, really. Especially Quinn.

What's the board say if we would've traded with JAX or NY and move up 2 spots? I think Turk probably would've still been there later in the 2nd anyway.

Mecca
04-28-2007, 09:37 PM
I think it's weird everyone hates the McBride pick when he and Tyler were rated almost exactly the same......and all of his projections were right around where the Chiefs picked him.....

It's not like this guy was some 5th round project.

el borracho
I like the Bowe pick quite a bit
Not terribly excited about McBride
Love the Tyler pick

DJ's left nut
I gave it a C.

I'd have gone Branch, Kalil, Tank

I suppose I'm okay with Bowe, but I don't think a run 1st (and 2nd...and sometimes 3rd) team needs to be using a 1st rounder on a WR.

McBride was a reach, IMO. Weigman is not getting younger and a year to develop for Kalil could've been huge. He'd have been able to step in and start in 2008.

I like the Tank pick a lot.

A pick I liked, 1 that I didn't and 1 that I was lukewarm on. Pretty much my definition of a C draft.

BigMeatballDave
04-28-2007, 09:38 PM
Jesus ****ing Christ! People need to stop crying about Quinn.

go bowe
04-28-2007, 09:39 PM
I liked the WR pick
I did not like the tweener 2nd round pick
The third rounder has motivation problems and that worries me.i'm hoping the tweener will turn out to be an effective cover two type dt with a little work...

i really like the tank...

he'll be fine...

wth krumrie coaching them, they both could just turn into monsters for us...

sims will be gone soon by the looks of things (we have elevnty dt's on the roster now)...

and hopefully hicks will be cut right along with sims...

go herm, go ahead and do it!!

i can't stand the waiting... :banghead:

BigMeatballDave
04-28-2007, 09:40 PM
I think it's weird everyone hates the McBride pick when he and Tyler were rated almost exactly the same......and all of his projections were right around where the Chiefs picked him.....

It's not like this guy was some 5th round project.Well said. Thank you.

el borracho
04-28-2007, 09:40 PM

I think the concern is that he seems a bit light for DT.

el borracho
04-28-2007, 09:43 PM
Jesus ****ing Christ! People need to stop crying about Quinn.
I'm not sad to miss out on Quinn but I do wish we could have used him to drop down and pick up an extra 1st round pick next year. Even if Bowe was gone we could have picked up Jarrett.

BigMeatballDave
04-28-2007, 09:43 PM
B:

I haven't been shy about my disdain for Dwayne Bowe. Now that he's a Chief, though, I'll hope for the best and see if he proves me wrong. I absolutely love the Turk and Tank picks though!How could you not like Bowe?

DaKCMan AP
04-28-2007, 09:46 PM
How could you not like Bowe?

I liked Meachem and Jarrett more. From what I've seen of Bowe, both on TV and in person, he had too many drops. It was interesting to read today, however, that he had lasik to fix an eye problem which has/should help that. Maybe it will and hopefully he'll be a star..

Toad
04-28-2007, 09:48 PM
B-

It could of been worse. We got 1 of the 4 who I hoped for (L Hall, Reyes, Bowe or Meachem) in the first with Bowe. 2 DT's that were value picks at the time. Edwards knows defensive talent so I'll trust in him that those DT's are decent picks.

It could have been better if Quinn falls to us and we make the trade with Browns. No fault of the Chiefs, just dumb luck...

Mark M
04-28-2007, 09:49 PM
I'll throw out a B-.

Thought they could've traded down a few spots, picked up a 4th rounder, and still gotten their guy.

But given past drafts, can't say I can bitch a whole lot.

Seems to me that Herm is much better than DV, who thought he could turn any player into a Pro-Bowler if he just hugged him enough ...

MM
~~:shrug:

penchief
04-28-2007, 09:52 PM
The WR was necessary even if IMO he's not going to see much real action in this year's edition of Hermball.

I don't know. I think he'll see a good bit of action. I think they want to be able to stretch the field and a guy like Bowe (with his size, leaping ability, and hands) is perfect for the play action. He can cause real mismatches downfield, IMO.

Mark M
04-28-2007, 09:52 PM
I liked Meachem and Jarrett more. From what I've seen of Bowe, both on TV and in person, he had too many drops. It was interesting to read today, however, that he had lasik to fix an eye problem which has/should help that. Maybe it will and hopefully he'll be a star..

Yep, the contacts will help.

Also, you can teach a player how to catch with his hands (Bowe liked to craddle it into his body), you cannot, however, teach speed or size.

And considering KC will be a run-first team, having a big WR who doesn't mind being involved without the ball in his hands would be nice, as compared to Sammy Parker who is a small, flaming pussy.

MM
~~:)

Frosty
04-28-2007, 09:53 PM
I like it so far. I am a little worried about our o-line, so think an
offensive lineman in the 2nd might have been better, but - who knows? The Chiefs must have a lot of confidence in Svitek, Sampson and Niswanger.

El Jefe
04-28-2007, 10:15 PM
Originally Posted by Mecca

Man couldnt have said it any better. I watched the videos of the picks on kcchiefs.com. Herm said with Allen being out a month Turk is gonna see a lot of time. He didnt say it but almost did, he caught himself, he was gonna say Turk is better than Jimmy at this point in time. He said Jimmy is still developing, so that tells you what they see in Turk. I didnt expect this pick but I liked it. I kind of wanted Kalil myself, I thought we were gonna take Staley in the first. I like Bowe though I have seen him a lot and think he will be great. I like his team first mentality, he wants to win and he is a great blocker.

RedandGold
04-28-2007, 10:18 PM
I love the Bowe and Tyler picks, and even though I hoped we would take Ryan Kalil in the 2nd, I think McBride will prove to be a decent pick.

Overall, I consider it to be a good first day.

keg in kc
04-28-2007, 10:35 PM
My initial thoughts:

I'm glad Quinn was off the board.

I was disappointed that didn't take Branch, but I wasn't suprised by it after the Krumrie slap test bullshit.

Round one: The way the draft fell, I think a receiver in the first was the right choice. Several were available at 23, but all were all off the board when we came up again at 54. I don't know if Bowe was the right one or not. Time will tell. For anyone who says you don't need a receiver in a conservative offense, I say bullshit. Either way, Bowe's apparently a solid blocker, a solid route runner and not afraid to go over the middle. He's not blazing fast, but he isn't slow, either. Sounds good to me. Grade: A

Round two: Cleveland really f*cked us - my guess is we were targetting Wright with our pick. I think we got caught off guard. Either way, I wasn't thrilled with the McBride selection. He strikes me as a (very) poor man's Hali, somebody who'll end up having about as much impact as Jimmy Wilkerson in the long term. Which would be fine if this was the 2nd day of the draft. I expected something better than a situational tweener in the second round. Grade: D.

Round three: Some character risks with Tank, but the 3rd rounds where you take risks like that. Hopefully this will finally be a DT that works out, to help us forget about Eric Downing and Eddie Freeman and Ryan Sims. Grade: B.

Overall grade so far: B- or C+.

It looks like our 2nd round troubles continue. Hopefully Pollard steps up this year and starts to counter that long-term problem.

Mr. Kotter
04-28-2007, 10:45 PM
...The Chiefs must have a lot of confidence in Svitek, Sampson and Niswanger.

And Stallings....yep, they sure must. :hmmm:

boogblaster
04-28-2007, 10:50 PM
Although young D linemen were needed..Id liked to have'd a Olineman chosen today .....

Frazod
04-28-2007, 10:53 PM
My initial thoughts:

I was disappointed that didn't take Branch, but I wasn't suprised by it after the Krumrie slap test bullshit.

Round one: The way the draft fell, I think a receiver in the first was the right choice. Several were available at 23, but all were all off the board when we came up again at 54. I don't know if Bowe was the right one or not. Time will tell. For anyone who says you don't need a receiver in a conservative offense, I say bullshit. Either way, Bowe's apparently a solid blocker, a solid route runner and not afraid to go over the middle. He's not blazing fast, but he isn't slow, either. Sounds good to me. Grade: A

Round two: Cleveland really f*cked us - my guess is we were targetting Wright with our pick. I think we got caught off guard. Either way, I wasn't thrilled with the McBride selection. He strikes me as a (very) poor man's Hali, somebody who'll end up having about as much impact as Jimmy Wilkerson in the long term. Which would be fine if this was the 2nd day of the draft. I expected something better than a situational tweener in the second round. Grade: D.

Round three: Some character risks with Tank, but the 3rd rounds where you take risks like that. Hopefully this will finally be a DT that works out, to help us forget about Eric Downing and Eddie Freeman and Ryan Sims. Grade: B.

It looks like our 2nd round troubles continue. Hopefully Pollard steps up this year and starts to counter that long-term problem.

Pretty good analysis, although I'd give Carl on C on Turk. And I hope Cleveland's GM dies in a f#cking fire. :#

Mr. Kotter
04-28-2007, 10:53 PM
Although young D linemen were needed..Id liked to have'd a Olineman chosen today .....

I'm trusting Solari on this....I guess.

Sampson, Svitek, Niswanger, and Stallings.....and McIntosh BETTER step up though.

Otherwise, our day one draft for NEXT year will be OLine heavy. :hmmm:

the Talking Can
04-28-2007, 10:56 PM
My initial thoughts:

yeah, Wright would have made this a great first day...we'll see about Turk...

Miles
04-28-2007, 11:04 PM

He still had hands issues last season after the lasik procedure but I did notice an improvement. I definitely like the progress he made each year in developing as a WR. I realize his production coincides with Russell's but he was extremely raw when he started playing more his sophomore year.

I think you may a bit too locked into the hands with him not being completely polished in that regard. He had some bad drops on occasion but also helped bail out LSU at some key times. His RAC ability was key for them last season. I not saying he is a can't miss prospect but his upside is quite intriguing.

keg in kc
04-28-2007, 11:09 PM
I realize his production coincides with Russell's but he was extremely raw when he started playing more his sophomore year. I don't follow LSU, but on more than one occasion, I got the impression from folks that he was making Russell look better, and not vice versa. Catching poorly thrown passes and jump balls, helping pad the numbers.

the Talking Can
04-28-2007, 11:12 PM
Bowe is also a better blocker and route runner than Meachem, from what I've read....but I haven't seen him play

and he isn't slow, he jsut doesn't run a 4.4....

Frosty
04-28-2007, 11:13 PM
And Stallings....yep, they sure must. :hmmm:

Stallings has looked like crap in NFLE so far. Rob Hunt has actually been quite a bit better. Maybe one of them will work out.

Miles
04-28-2007, 11:20 PM
I don't follow LSU, but on more than one occasion, I got the impression from folks that he was making Russell look better, and not vice versa. Catching poorly thrown passes and jump balls, helping pad the numbers.

It was a mix of things. He did catch some difficult passes that were poorly thrown with some of them being more of the downfield variety. That also makes me think his hands issues are not a huge concern.

On the other hand, he did drop some short passes where he had plenty of room to run. I like Russell but yeah the trio of Bowe, Davis and Doucet did bail him out plenty of times and Bowe was the best of them.

Mr. Kotter
04-28-2007, 11:22 PM
Stallings has looked like crap in NFLE so far. Rob Hunt has actually been quite a bit better. Maybe one of them will work out.

Bummer. I had some hope for Stallings. But I've kinda figured the "twinkie" factor might keep him from realizing his potential. :(

As for Hunt, I haven't heard or read much. Guess I'll have to check the NFLEurope site....

However, I don't think we are nearly as "desperate" as some analysts seem to think.

I mean, we STILL have Waters and Weigmann; Wellbourne is capable of holding down a spot, and hell....Bober has some experience and could be serviceable....so that leaves us with Svitek, Sampson, NisWanger, and Terry/Hunt/Stallings could still surprise us.

I mean, do you remember the Giants Offensive Line last year...and the doubts coming into this past year? They suddenly "gelled" out of nowhere. I'm not counting on it, I'm just sayin'...

:hmmm:

Miles
04-28-2007, 11:24 PM
Bowe is also a better blocker and route runner than Meachem, from what I've read....but I haven't seen him play

I think he has legitimate 4.5 speed and maybe a touch faster on the field speed. While not great for a WR it is defiantly good enough for a guy his size.

bdeg
04-28-2007, 11:27 PM

Yes he does. A 4.40 actually.

http://www.lsusports.net/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=27815&SPID=2164&DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=5200&ATCLID=827035

keg in kc
04-28-2007, 11:32 PM
I think he has legitimate 4.5 speed and maybe a touch faster on the field speed. While not great for a WR it is defiantly good enough for a guy his size.I'd say 4.5 is pretty impressive for his size. He's definitely not a Vermeil/Saunders receiver, though. If there was every any doubt that the offense was changing (and I had my doubts), it's over now. He's a WCO receiver in every sense of the word.

If he's as good an all-around player as he's supposed to be, as strong blocking and as solid route-running, he's going to be very, very good for us. The best receivers I've seen in my 8+ years in KC are Derrick Alexander (blech) and Eddie Kennison. I'd say Bowe has the potential to be a whole different level. We're not used to seeing talent like this, and I think it could have a pretty big impact.

Miles
04-28-2007, 11:46 PM
I'd say 4.5 is pretty impressive for his size. He's definitely not a Vermeil/Saunders receiver, though. If there was every any doubt that the offense was changing (and I had my doubts), it's over now. He's a WCO receiver in every sense of the word.

If he's as good an all-around player as he's supposed to be, as strong blocking and as solid route-running, he's going to be very, very good for us. The best receivers I've seen in my 8+ years in KC are Derrick Alexander (blech) and Eddie Kennison. I'd say Bowe has the potential to be a whole different level. We're not used to seeing talent like this, and I think it could have a pretty big impact.

You just spelled out everything I like about the pick. Its very difficult to tell route running from watching the games but I will take the scouts and draft guys word on it. He is definitely a good blocker and not in the sense that his size dictates he should be but actually a good downfield blocker.

I have watched most of LSU's games during the time he was there and would describe him as a sneaky talent that has some sweet potential when you break it down.

Frosty
04-28-2007, 11:56 PM
He's a WCO receiver in every sense of the word.

I still think that the offense is going to look a lot more like a WCO next year than the Ram's offense and this move to bigger wideouts is just another sign.

el borracho
04-29-2007, 12:03 AM
I still think that the offense is going to look a lot more like a WCO next year than the Ram's offense and this move to bigger wideouts is just another sign.
Bowe, Gardner, Hannon, Kennison, Parker, Webb- who's in, who's out and do we stop there or grab another WR on day two?

Count Zarth
04-29-2007, 12:04 AM
Gardner's gone. We've got our five.

Miles
04-29-2007, 12:06 AM

Agreed. No reason to draft another WR unless it a good value pick and I don't think that will happen after the third round frenzy.

Mr. Kotter
04-29-2007, 12:09 AM
Bowe, Gardner, Hannon, Kennison, Parker, Webb- who's in, who's out and do we stop there or grab another WR on day two?
Those six will be it, I'm thinking...with Gardner maybe gone.

or, eh....what Clayton said:

Mark M
04-29-2007, 06:38 AM
Question about McBride:

Although I'm not ecstatic about the pick, does anyone else think they could pull a Brian Waters with him?

Waters was a DE tweener as well -- an athletic big guy on defense that really wasn't a great defensive player in college. As we all know, moving Waters to the other side has worked out okay. :)

I'm not saying the Chiefs should do this with McBride, but wondering if anyone else has thought they may go that route ... ?

MM
~~:hmmm:

Braincase
04-29-2007, 06:42 AM
I think Bowe is a good pickup. Went later than I thought he would, as he's the guy that made Russell look like a No. 1 pick.

We needed the DT's, and I think McBride was snagged for his versatility up and down the line. Tyler I have some concerns about, but I've got to trust Herm's judgement on that.

I'm keeping an eye on offensive linemen today. There are some very interesting players out there... anybody interested in a 7th round guard from Yale?

Skip Towne
04-29-2007, 06:54 AM
With all your flip-flopping, you'd make a great politician...
:)
Yeah. If he were a governor or the president he would get his own place. I'll bet his mom would appreciate it.

ExtremeChief
04-29-2007, 07:12 AM
I liked the Bowe pick. He likes to block and gets good YAC. I was listening to 610 on the way home from KC and they were interviewing him. They asked him why he didn't play football until his Junior year of HS and he said he had to take care of his family (siblings or cousins), by taking them to school and getting them home. He said once they were old enough to walk to and from school he tried football and has been playing ever since. He sounded like a character guy, which is probably going to be common from now on as long as Edwards is our coach.

Turk is a tweener. He's nearly the exact same size as Tamba and the 40 times are nearly identical as well. If we are going to have a defense that allows our lineman to fly into the backfield and the linebackers be responsible for anyting that gets through, then he will be good for that. I don't see him as a run stuffer though. He's another "high-motor guy".

Tank is a good value to still be there in the third round, so I guess you have to like this pick based on that alone. I don't like picking a player who has a rep for taking plays off, but many had him going in the second and ranked higher than McBride, so I'm ok with this pick.

Tamba, Turk, Tank, ( we really need another T for the defensive line)

I'll give it a B overall, and hopefully we get some o-line help today, and Herm finds some sleeper d-back in the latter rounds.