PDA

View Full Version : MSNBC AFCW Draft Grades

Ugly Duck
04-29-2007, 08:27 AM
AFC West

Oakland Raiders

Al Davis made great use of the first pick in the draft by taking the amazingly gifted JaMarcus Russell. If he gets decent protection and gets a chance to play without getting abused, Russell has a great chance to become one of the league’s dominant players. Tight end Zach Miller gives the Raiders another downfield option. Not only can he make the big play, he can also come down with the circus catch of the poorly thrown ball.

Grade: A-

Denver Broncos

Mike Shanahan is quite comfortable with the direction of his offense, but he knows the team needs to get more from its defensive line. The selection of Florida defensive end Jarvis Moss was not a surprise. Moss should be able to make an immediate contribution as a pass rusher and appears to have the tools to develop into an every-down player. The Broncos backed that pick up with Colorado defensive end Tim Crowder who will not let himself get outworked. Crowder may not become a star, but he should be a solid player.

Grade: B+

Kansas City Chiefs

Here’s a team that may have picked the best available athlete at its position of greatest need. The cupboard is nearly empty when it comes to wide receivers in Kansas City and LSU’s Dwayne Bowe has size, speed and is very dependable. The bigger the game the better he plays. The Chiefs threw the dice with their second- and third-round picks. Defensive tackles Turk McBride and Tank Tyler are risky picks. McBride may not be strong enough to get the job done consistently while Tyler has off-the-field issues.
Grade: D+

San Diego Chargers

The Chargers need all kinds of help at the wide receiver position and they may have gotten it with the selection of Davis. He is physically strong and very athletic and will make the difficult catch. However, his concentration level is just ordinary and he doesn’t recognize zone defensive alignments. The Chargers paid through the nose to get safety Eric Weddle. He’s simply not worth it. While he is smart and has great leadership skills, he is just an average player who irritates his teammates with his arrogance.
Grade: D

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18372056/page/2/

BigMeatballDave
04-29-2007, 08:37 AM
WTF? We need help at WR and interior DL. That is what we drafted. Retards...

58-4ever
04-29-2007, 08:40 AM
We ALWAYS get bad grades. I wouldn't worry about this too much.

jiveturkey
04-29-2007, 08:42 AM
Re, retarded, re, re retarded!

We got the 3rd best WT and the 4 & 5 best DT's in the draft.

I like our first day a lot. I knew all 3 of the player prior to the draft and that hasn't happened in a long time. I would have really love getting Eric Wright in the 2nd but now I hope that lake Erie swells and swallows Cleveland whole.

I hope that we can continue to fill needs today. MLB, CB, OT, OG (not in any specific order).

Bowser
04-29-2007, 08:42 AM
I always look at these grades and compare them to movie reviews - generally, the worse the grade, the better the draft.

KCinNY
04-29-2007, 08:43 AM
The idea of draft grades being given before the players even suit up for their teams is beyond stupid.

shakesthecat
04-29-2007, 08:44 AM
Oh no! Not msnbc.com!

Hendryx68 was right

alanm
04-29-2007, 08:46 AM
Yeah... MSNBC is where I go to first when I want the low down on draft grades. I understand it's where everyone goes to get their daily fix of unbiased news. ROFL

Bowser
04-29-2007, 08:47 AM
Yeah... MSNBC is where I go to first when I want the low down on draft grades. I understand it's where everyone goes to get their daily fix of unbiased news. ROFL

Great. DC here we come.

Mile High Mania
04-29-2007, 08:48 AM
Call me crazy, but... I am pretty sure that Tim Crowder was with Texas ... not Colorado.

Bwana
04-29-2007, 08:55 AM
Yeah... MSNBC is where I go to first when I want the low down on draft grades. ROFL

Yeah no doubt. The ass clown that wrote that also likely has a cooking show or some other Nancy gig for his "real job." Stick to telling us how to fluff a pancake flit boy and leave the football grades to the experts.

CoMoChief
04-29-2007, 09:05 AM
I thought we pissed away our 2nd round pick. I really wanted Eric Wright and was super pissed off when CLE took him before us. CLE ****ed us this draft.

Demonpenz
04-29-2007, 09:10 AM
That was a nice paper you wrote demon. D plus!

Deberg_1990
04-29-2007, 09:11 AM
Is there anything more dumb and ridiculus than draft grades a day after the draft?????

Seriosuly, what if all these guys are busts??

Easy 6
04-29-2007, 09:13 AM
This guy can go diddle himself with a carrot.

I for one am stoked with what we've gotten so far, all positions of need with no reaches IMO.

We'll dig up some more gems today, Herm has been fantastic with our drafts.

Ultra Peanut
04-29-2007, 09:37 AM
Here’s a team that may have picked the best available athlete at its position of greatest need.GOD WHAT A SHITTY DRAFT

Hound333
04-29-2007, 10:07 AM
I'm not quite sure how Denver gets a B+ and we have a D+. I think they gave up to much to move up on a player that I didn't have going that high. Hopefully they know something we don't because Moss could have fallen to them without giving anything up.

htismaqe
04-29-2007, 10:13 AM
Denver Broncos

Mike Shanahan is quite comfortable with the direction of his offense, but he knows the team needs to get more from its defensive line. The selection of Florida defensive end Jarvis Moss was not a surprise. Moss should be able to make an immediate contribution as a pass rusher and appears to have the tools to develop into an every-down player. The Broncos backed that pick up with Colorado defensive end Tim Crowder who will not let himself get outworked. Crowder may not become a star, but he should be a solid player.

Grade: B+

Nothing biased about this at all. After all, Denver traded picks to move up for a guy they could have gotten at the pick they had. And then the author even admits that Moss MIGHT be an every down player and Crowder probably won't be a star.

htismaqe
04-29-2007, 10:13 AM
I thought we pissed away our 2nd round pick. I really wanted Eric Wright and was super pissed off when CLE took him before us. CLE ****ed us this draft.

Yeah, the author RIPPED us because of Tyler's character issues. He would have been fine with Wright.

Direckshun
04-29-2007, 10:14 AM
Yeah, this is retarded.

OnTheWarpath58
04-29-2007, 10:14 AM

Read the articles from the Star this morning.....

We had ZERO intention of taking Eric Wright.

wazu
04-29-2007, 10:15 AM
We ALWAYS get bad grades. I wouldn't worry about this too much.

Yeah, cause we usually prove them to be SOOOOO wrong.

Rausch
04-29-2007, 10:16 AM
We didn't draft a safety?

Did anyone fact check this article?...

SNR
04-29-2007, 11:06 AM
WE NEEDED OFFENSIVE LINE LOL

LiL stumppy
04-29-2007, 11:09 AM
Yep, sounds about right to me.

Eric
04-29-2007, 11:21 AM
Steve Silverman writes regularly for MSNBC.com and is a freelance writer from Chicago.

:ROFL

Not credible.

Ultra Peanut
04-29-2007, 11:54 AM
Oh, come on... MSNBC columnists are AWESOME (http://www.firejoemorgan.com/2007/04/evolution-of-idiocy.html).

Braincase
04-29-2007, 12:24 PM
This assclown probably thought the Pacman Jones and Chris Henry picks were fantastic.

Rain Man
04-29-2007, 12:44 PM
The Denver paper today gave us a bad grade for our 1st round pick, saying that we had greater areas of need than wide receiver. Apparently that reporter has never seen a professional football game.

I'm not sure about the McBride pick since it was one of Carl's typical out-of-the-blue second-round picks, and I think Crosby may have been a better choice than Medlock at this point, but those are nitpicks. I'm thrilled with the draft so far.

HerculesRockefell
04-29-2007, 12:52 PM
Didn't think Denver or Oakland's 1st days were that good, nor was KC's that bad. Did not like SD's draft.

htismaqe
04-29-2007, 01:11 PM
Didn't think Denver or Oakland's 1st days were that good, nor was KC's that bad. Did not like SD's draft.

Pretty much how I feel.

Oakland's was average. They got some good players, but they should have where they picked.

Denver got some really good players, but they have their question marks. And they gave up alot to get them.

KC went BPA. They got excellent value on Day 1 but they didn't address all of their needs.

San Diego went for need and it showed. I rate their draft as bad, primarily because I got so used to seeing the Chargers do so well.

Sam Hall
04-29-2007, 01:14 PM
I thought every pick in the draft was a risk :hmmm:

OnTheWarpath58
04-29-2007, 01:16 PM
The Denver paper today gave us a bad grade for our 1st round pick, saying that we had greater areas of need than wide receiver. Apparently that reporter has never seen a professional football game.

I'm not sure about the McBride pick since it was one of Carl's typical out-of-the-blue second-round picks, and I think Crosby may have been a better choice than Medlock at this point, but those are nitpicks. I'm thrilled with the draft so far.

I don't think McBride was out of the blue at all.

A lot of mocks had him going 2 spots before us to STL, one of the few teams with as big of a hole at DT as us.......

htismaqe
04-29-2007, 01:32 PM
McBride wasn't out-of-the-blue. With the benefit of hindsight, it's pretty easy to see why they took him. Reminds me of the Tamba Hali pick last year.

Slick32
04-29-2007, 02:35 PM
McBride wasn't out-of-the-blue. With the benefit of hindsight, it's pretty easy to see why they took him. Reminds me of the Tamba Hali pick last year.

Lightning doesn't strike twice in the same place. I wouldn't count on this guy being anothere Tamba

ChiefsCountry
04-29-2007, 02:37 PM
Lightning doesn't strike twice in the same place. I wouldn't count on this guy being anothere Tamba

He said he was similar didnt say he was going to be Tamba.

Thig Lyfe
04-29-2007, 02:41 PM
D+?

Moron.

htismaqe
04-29-2007, 02:42 PM

ROFL

I'm sure he'll be a bust. If only we would have drafted Joe-sus Staley.

siberian khatru
04-29-2007, 02:43 PM
ROFL

I'm sure he'll be a bust. If only we would have drafted Joe-sus Staley.

He apparently was the key to our entire draft. If we had picked him, every draft analyst would've given us a much higher grade. :shake: