PDA

View Full Version : Randy Moss now a Patriot

Lzen
04-29-2007, 09:34 AM
Pats give up a 4th rounder.

Lzen
04-29-2007, 09:35 AM
That's according to Adam Schefter on NFL Network.

OnTheWarpath58
04-29-2007, 09:36 AM
One less WR for JaJesus Russell to throw 70 yard passes to from his knees.....

suds79
04-29-2007, 09:37 AM
Interesting.

I hope that cancer ruins their team image and Bill Belichick ends up with egg on his face.

Ugly Duck
04-29-2007, 09:37 AM
We gave up a lot to get that guy..... at least now we don't have to fork over 11 mil more wasted greenbacks. Moss at Oakland wuzza disaster... thankfully its over!

Lzen
04-29-2007, 09:38 AM
Heh. This is a very interesting move by the Pats. I suppose it is worth a late 4th rounder gamble. Apparently, Beliceck thinks he can straighten him out. We will see.

Lzen
04-29-2007, 09:39 AM
We gave up a lot to get that guy..... at least now we don't have to fork over 11 mil more wasted greenbacks. Moss at Oakland wuzza disaster... thankfully its over!

Oh yeah. That is priceless. I remember that first game on Sunday Night Football against the Chiefs. All the ESPN guys could talk about was 'Randy Moss and the Raiduhs'. ROFL

Bowser
04-29-2007, 09:40 AM
Was Belichick made aware that Moss only tries when he wants to?

OnTheWarpath58
04-29-2007, 09:40 AM
Heh. This is a very interesting move by the Pats. I suppose it is worth a late 4th rounder gamble. Apparently, Beliceck thinks he can straighten him out. We will see.

I don't think BB will have to straighten him out.

I think simply playing for a winner and having a QB who will throw him the damn ball will change his attitude PDQ.

Coach
04-29-2007, 09:41 AM

I'm sure he's probably aware of that. But then, on the other side, anybody would only try whenever they want to when it comes to playing for the Raiders.

blueballs
04-29-2007, 09:41 AM
Carl take anything less than a 4th for Green
and you are a big time pussy

Bwana
04-29-2007, 09:44 AM
Do you have some kind of link for this? Where did it come from?

Mile High Mania
04-29-2007, 09:46 AM
http://www.nfl.com/nflnetwork/story/10156954

Weird ... Moss, Stallworth, Washington and Welker.

JimNasium
04-29-2007, 09:47 AM
They were able to get Dillon on the same page and I believe they will do the same thing to Moss.

Tribal Warfare
04-29-2007, 09:49 AM

Breaking news from Adam Schefter

milkman
04-29-2007, 09:50 AM

Adam Shefter on NFL Network.

I've been a fan of the way the Pats have built their team in the BB/Pioli era, and this offseason represents a philosophical change in that building process.

I've never been a fan of the type of FA signings and trades that Pats have consumated this year, and would not be at all surprised to see the team disappoint their fans this season because of that approach.

chop
04-29-2007, 09:50 AM
I heard it on NFL Network also.

New England sure does look good on paper right now.

carlos3652
04-29-2007, 09:51 AM
PENDING A PHYSICAL... Moss is in NE as we speak... per ESPN

Bwana
Cool, thanks.

ChiefsCountry
ESPN just reported it as well.

shakesthecat
04-29-2007, 09:52 AM
Moss' best days are behind him, but I think this is a pretty safe gamble for the Pats.

Of couse, I still hope it blows up in their face.

Cave Johnson
04-29-2007, 09:57 AM
Not a done deal. Apparently Oakland backed out.

The Patriots very nearly finished their historic offseason spending spree in jaw-dropping fashion this weekend by acquiring Randy Moss. According to a league source, the Pats believed they had a deal in place for the mercurial wide receiver, but the Raiders got cold feet and backed out before it could be consummated.

http://www.fannation.com/truth_and_rumors/nfl

Lzen
04-29-2007, 09:59 AM

The Patriots very nearly finished their historic offseason spending spree in jaw-dropping fashion this weekend by acquiring Randy Moss. According to a league source, the Pats believed they had a deal in place for the mercurial wide receiver, but the Raiders got cold feet and backed out before it could be consummated.

I tend to believe Adam Schefter on NFL Network more than some random website. NFL Network says Moss is in New England now and will be a Patriot assuming he passes his physical.

Bwana
04-29-2007, 10:00 AM
WTF?? So.............it's done, but it's not?? Some of these so called reporters are hittng the pipe.

CoMoChief
04-29-2007, 10:01 AM
good lord, what a hell of an offseason for the Pats.

GoHuge
04-29-2007, 10:01 AM
They were able to get Dillon on the same page and I believe they will do the same thing to Moss.That's kind of what I was thinking. It is amazing what a winning atmosphere will do for a guy. I couldn't imagine getting real revved up about going and being around that catostrophe everyday....regardless if I am a professional.

KevB
04-29-2007, 10:03 AM
http://www.nfl.com/nflnetwork/story/10156954

Weird ... Moss, Stallworth, Washington and Welker.

Not to mention last year's first rounder coming off injury, Chad Jackson. I'm guessing Brady voiced his displeasure about the options he had in the passing game last year. These guys, plus their tight ends gives Brady a ridiculous number of options.

alanm
04-29-2007, 10:04 AM
You know... If they had a QB to get him the ball and a Oline to protect said QB it might have worked out. Now the Raiders have a QB(Maybe) with no Oline and no one to throw to. :)
Al Davis just can't seem to get it right.

Amnorix
04-29-2007, 10:05 AM

As Tom Curran (a very good NFL writer for the Providence Journal) noted -- that's true for ALOT of NFL players.

Moss has more visibility than most, but ultimately, as long as his contract allows him to be cut if he turns out to be a jerk, then I'm willing to guardedly give him a chance.

Easy 6
04-29-2007, 10:06 AM
Geeez Louise, those guys are gonna be sick scary if he comes to play.

Amnorix
04-29-2007, 10:06 AM

This was the latest as of last night. As of literally RIGHT NOW, the rumor is a 4th for Moss.

He needs to redo his contract. I assume we've worked that out already. No way we're paying him $9.5M

Amnorix
04-29-2007, 10:09 AM
I'm willing to give Moss a shot. As one Boston scribe wrote -- he's not an A-hole, and he's not a cancer -- he's just a dink.

ROFL

Hopefully he finds new inspiration being surrounded by Bruschi, Brady, Seymour, Harrison, etc. If not, I'm confident that he won't desroy our team chemistry.

The $$ needs to allow us to cut him without scrweing up our cap. In other words, I want to same deal we had for Gabriel last year. Give him a shot, waste a 4th if that's how it works out, but be able to cut him if he's a dink.

Skip Towne
04-29-2007, 10:11 AM
That guy could wreck any team. He could break an anvil.

Lzen
04-29-2007, 10:12 AM
So now will it be "Randy Moss and the Patriots"? :D

Demonpenz
04-29-2007, 10:15 AM
moss will be a good addition. Maybe teach troy brown how to tow the line

Amnorix
04-29-2007, 10:15 AM
That guy could wreck any team. He could break an anvil.

That's TO.

Moss played for a VERY good Vikings team, which had alot of jerk players (see boating incident) then went to a Raiders team with NO talent.

So which team did he destroy, exactly?

TO screwed up a VERY good Philly team, that was "magically" fixed when he left. He's a cancer, not Moss.

Amnorix
04-29-2007, 10:16 AM
So now will it be "Randy Moss and the Patriots"? :D

Thankfully, we have this guy named Brady... Thank God.

P.S. what a year for Brady. First Bundschen then the huge upgrade in our WR corp. Wow! :D

Skip Towne
04-29-2007, 10:17 AM
That's TO.

Moss played for a VERY good Vikings team, which had alot of jerk players (see boating incident) then went to a Raiders team with NO talent.

So which team did he destroy, exactly?

TO screwed up a VERY good Philly team, that was "magically" fixed when he left. He's a cancer, not Moss.
Why do these teams want rid of him?

blueballs
04-29-2007, 10:17 AM
Belichick is a genous
Moss will get credit for bringing down a dynasty
Belichick can move on for millions to next team

Amnorix
04-29-2007, 10:18 AM
moss will be a good addition. Maybe teach troy brown how to tow the line

I'm worried there isn't room for Brown. I hope we manage to keep him for another year.

Pats WR corp:

Moss
Kelley Washington
Reche Caldwell
Donte Stallworth
Jaffar (sp?) Gaffney
Wes Welker
Troy Brown (not under contract currently).

:eek:

Demonpenz
04-29-2007, 10:19 AM
I'm worried there isn't room for Brown. I hope we manage to keep him for another year.

Pats WR corp:

Moss
Kelley Washington
Reche Caldwell
Donte Stallworth
Jaffar (sp?) Gaffney
Wes Welker

what about your corners :)

Amnorix
04-29-2007, 10:19 AM
Why do these teams want rid of him?

Because he CAN BE a problem child when he's not happy. But he hasn't caused the teams that he was on to collapse.

I think of him being similar to Corey Dillon.

Again, I'm not SOLD that this is great. I am, however, more than willing to give him (and the Pats) the benefit of the doubt and see how it works.

And, again, I'm very focused on his contract -- and strongly believe that it should allow us to cut him without screwing up our cap.

Cave Johnson
04-29-2007, 10:20 AM

Pats WR corp:

Moss
Kelley Washington
Reche Caldwell
Donte Stallworth
Jaffar (sp?) Gaffney
Wes Welker

No Chad Jackson?

Amnorix
what about your corners :)

Hope we keep Samuel, because without him we're pretty thin there. :eek:

the Talking Can
Moss quits on the field and has done it repeatedly and anyone who claims otherwise is lying.

But maybe Brady will bat his dreamy eyes at him....

Amnorix
No Chad Jackson?

Forgot him. Blown ACL in AFCCG. I'm figuring he starts the season on PUP.

Amnorix
04-29-2007, 10:22 AM
Moss quits on the field and has done it repeatedly and anyone who claims otherwise is lying.

But maybe Brady will bat his dreamy eyes at him....

He has done that. No argument.

AND in important games too, not just when it's a blowout.

But, as Tom Curran just said on the radio -- nearly ALL NFL players take some plays off. Happens all the time on all teams.

Then you have other guys with tremendous talent who take the off-season off, and end up hurt nearly every year. Is that much better? (see Eugene Wilson of the Pats, for one).

Skip Towne
04-29-2007, 10:22 AM
Because he CAN BE a problem child when he's not happy. But he hasn't caused the teams that he was on to collapse.

I think of him being similar to Corey Dillon.

Again, I'm not SOLD that this is great. I am, however, more than willing to give him (and the Pats) the benefit of the doubt and see how it works.

And, again, I'm very focused on his contract -- and strongly believe that it should allow us to cut him without screwing up our cap.
We'll see. Talent like that should be coveted, not booted.

Amnorix
04-29-2007, 10:25 AM
We'll see. Talent like that should be coveted, not booted.

Again -- Corey Dillon.

To quote Curran -- he's just a dink. Not a cancer. Just a dink. :D

the Talking Can
04-29-2007, 10:25 AM

But, as Tom Curran just said on the radio -- nearly ALL NFL players take some plays off. Happens all the time on all teams.

Then you have other guys with tremendous talent who take the off-season off, and end up hurt nearly every year. Is that much better? (see Eugene Wilson of the Pats, for one).

sorry, not all players do what Moss does....that's a lame excuse

he is a superstar and is paid like a superstar and he quits on the field repeatedly....

he'll probably be great for you, but you can't deny what he has been......

Mecca
04-29-2007, 10:26 AM
Moss=comeback player of the year, he'll look like the old Moss mark it down.

JBucc
04-29-2007, 10:27 AM
I agree with Amnorix about Moss. The Raiders didn't suck because Moss was a crybaby, Moss was a crybaby because the Raiders sucked.

Mecca
04-29-2007, 10:29 AM
Moss will be fine in NE, cause they win and he's playing with great players, and a QB that will get him the ball.

Fruit Ninja
04-29-2007, 10:36 AM
Moss will do fairly well there, he has someone to get him the damn ball now. I was watching one of the draft channels, and they said a few days ago Moss still ran a 4.28. lol

The Bad Guy
04-29-2007, 10:48 AM

Other guys don't walk off the field and into the locker room before the game is over.

Mecca
04-29-2007, 10:51 AM
When NE is a contender and they have a position weakness they address.......it took us 15 years to address WR.

Dr. Facebook Fever
04-29-2007, 10:57 AM
Pats give up a 4th rounder.
...and somewhere JaMarcus Russell is already sorry to be a Raider.

ROFL

Dr. Facebook Fever
04-29-2007, 10:58 AM
When NE is a contender and they have a position weakness they address.......it took us 15 years to address WR.
:shake:

We've drafted a million and three WR's. They just all sucked... and so does Randy Moss.

Count Alex's Losses
04-29-2007, 11:00 AM
Dude, the Raiders WR corps blows now.

That team doesn't scare me at all.

Mecca
04-29-2007, 11:01 AM
:shake:

We've drafted a million and three WR's. They just all sucked... and so does Randy Moss.

We'll see I think he'll look great there......

Stallworth and Moss to me is a good combo.

And how many of those did we take in the first? Even offensive heavy DV wouldn't take WR's high.

Dr. Facebook Fever
04-29-2007, 11:03 AM
We'll see I think he'll look great there......

Stallworth and Moss to me is a good combo.

And how many of those did we take in the first? Even offensive heavy DV wouldn't take WR's high.
Could be. I was mainly trying to address your assertion that the Chiefs have never tried to address the WR position when they have. They just haven't had success.

Count Alex's Losses
04-29-2007, 11:04 AM
Honestly, who do the Raiders have now on offense? I don't think anyone's scared of Jerry Porter, Ronald Curry and LaMont Jordan. Michael Bush might be good...next year.

Lzen
04-29-2007, 11:05 AM
Thankfully, we have this guy named Brady... Thank God.

P.S. what a year for Brady. First Bundschen then the huge upgrade in our WR corp. Wow! :D

Brady you say? Never heard of him.

Mecca
04-29-2007, 11:06 AM
Could be. I was mainly trying to address your assertion that the Chiefs have never tried to address the WR position when they have. They just haven't had success.

We never addressed it like that.......drafting Samie Parker isn't addressing a position.

ChiefsCountry
04-29-2007, 11:08 AM
We never addressed it like that.......drafting Samie Parker isn't addressing a position.

We threw a ton of money at Brett Perriman, Derrick Alexander who at the time were about the same as Stallworth. Took a chance on Andre Rison . Not many teams can acquire a Randy Moss talent like that bc there isnt one.

Direckshun
04-29-2007, 11:09 AM

Wow, a Pats fan rushing to defend the honor of Randy Moss.

Never thought I'd see the day.

Flimsy defense, by the way.

Mecca
04-29-2007, 11:10 AM
Hey say what you will but that is an awesome deal for NE......there's almost no downside to that a 4th for possibly 1 of the best in the game?

PunkinDrublic
04-29-2007, 11:11 AM
Moss will flourish in NE. The guy self destructs and becomes a cancer when the team starts falling apart. Moss has also played big in big games. Remember the playoff game when Minnesota punked Green Bay a couple of years ago at Lambaeu?

Coach
04-29-2007, 11:15 AM
Moss will flourish in NE. The guy self destructs and becomes a cancer when the team starts falling apart. Moss has also played big in big games. Remember the playoff game when Minnesota punked Green Bay a couple of years ago at Lambaeu?

What are the odds of New England imploding, alas Raider style?

Randy is finally in a position where he's going to follow, not lead. He's no leader, so that's a good thing. He'll be pretty solid.

Dr. Facebook Fever
04-29-2007, 11:17 AM
Actually it is.

Phobia
04-29-2007, 11:18 AM
If Randy Moss is worth a 4th, Trent Green is worth 39 4ths.

Mecca
04-29-2007, 11:18 AM
Actually it is.

Well we get Samie Parker for our 4 they get Randy Moss....

Mecca
04-29-2007, 11:19 AM
If Randy Moss is worth a 4th, Trent Green is worth 39 4ths.

Moss isn't 37.........and when he works out and goes 4.29.......

Moss has more time left than Trent Green does.

Rausch
04-29-2007, 11:21 AM

Sly Morris was looking to be special before the injury...

PunkinDrublic
04-29-2007, 11:25 AM

Randy is finally in a position where he's going to follow, not lead. He's no leader, so that's a good thing. He'll be pretty solid.

Exactly. Moss may be a prick but he's also one of the most gifted athletes I've ever seen take the football field. When he is on he is amazing to watch and I'd hate to see that talent pissed away.

Mecca
04-29-2007, 11:27 AM
He'll be fine in NE.......he's a backseat guy, he's not a leader of the team.

Plus they're good so he'll play hard, instead of playing for a shit team and not caring.

Deberg_1990
04-29-2007, 12:45 PM
He'll be fine in NE.......he's a backseat guy, he's not a leader of the team.

Plus they're good so he'll play hard, instead of playing for a shit team and not caring.

I couldnt agree more. Moss will be fine. IM sure at this point he just wants to win a ring.

Amnorix
04-29-2007, 01:14 PM
sorry, not all players do what Moss does....that's a lame excuse

he is a superstar and is paid like a superstar and he quits on the field repeatedly....

he'll probably be great for you, but you can't deny what he has been......

No, not "all" players do what Moss does. But alot of them do. In all seriousness, watch the players away from the ball in any NFL game, on both sides of the ball. Alot of them just watch. It's really amazing.

Is that an excuse or acceptable? Hell no.

If he's the turd he's been, he'll be cut, just like Gabriel was. If he's dedicated and committed, then he'll be a valuable piece of the puzzle. Unlike Minn and the Raiders, he isn't THE guy, he's just one of the pieces.

Maybe he fits in and it works out great. Maybe not. I've never been a fan of his. Thought he was a self-centered jerk. But I don't HATE him the way I hate TO, who I think is a bona fide team destroying A-hole.

Conversely, of course, TO gives 110% on the field. Even blocks on run plays. But I think he's poison to a team.

Amnorix
04-29-2007, 01:15 PM
Moss will be fine in NE, cause they win and he's playing with great players, and a QB that will get him the ball.

He better not be expecting 100 catches, because I doubt he'll get them. The Pats are all about spreading it around, and the favorite receiver is the open one. You sure as hell won't hear about a "Randy Ratio". :)

Amnorix
04-29-2007, 01:23 PM
Wow, a Pats fan rushing to defend the honor of Randy Moss.

Never thought I'd see the day.

Flimsy defense, by the way.

The guy has quit on plays that were important during important games. What he has done in the past is far worse than what you typically see from any NFL player.

And to have a highly-paid star player do it, sending a horrible message to the rest of the team, is totally inexcusable.

All that said, that was then, this is now. We gave up a mid-round pick in a worse-than-average draft for him, and will no doubt structure his contract so if he acts like a turd here, we cut him.

What he did while playing with a bunch of malcontents in Minnesota, and with a horrible team in Oakland, doesn't matter much. He's not a cancer like TO has been. As long as he puts the effort out on the field, and keeps clean off of it, prior sins will be forgiven.

Sam Hall
04-29-2007, 01:25 PM
I don't see how the Patriots won't win the Super Bowl.

Amnorix
04-29-2007, 01:27 PM

That's exactly what I'm thinking (and desperately hoping).

He's not the guy that has to perform for us to win. He's not a team leader. He's not the poster-boy and the face of the team. Heck, he won't even be a team captain, most likely. The pressure isn't all on him by any stretch. And that's all a good thing.

Amnorix
04-29-2007, 01:28 PM
I don't see how the Patriots won't win the Super Bowl.

1. Tom Brady gets injured

2. Our linebackers are all too old and can't cover anybody anywhere.

3. we (again) have about 15 guys in the secondary on IR by November

Never count your chickens. As BB says "depth in August isn't depth in November".

Cochise
04-29-2007, 01:31 PM
He's one of those guys that isn't a problem when the team is good and he's getting the ball. Probably a good move by the Pats, especially at that price.

'Hamas' Jenkins
04-29-2007, 01:31 PM
I think the Pats have had a pretty shitty offseason so far.

Adalius Thomas was surrounded by all-world talent in Baltimore. Anyone remember Edge Hartwell? How'd he do?

They vastly overpaid for Wes Welker, and now they keep drafting character problems like Meriweather and picking up guys like Moss.

No matter how strong the dictator is, there comes a point when even his iron-fisted measures can't contain all the malcontents.

These moves stink of desperation to me. They see the Colts as clearly better, and they are trying to cut corners to get back to the top.

Sam Hall
04-29-2007, 01:46 PM
1. Tom Brady gets injured

2. Our linebackers are all too old and can't cover anybody anywhere.

3. we (again) have about 15 guys in the secondary on IR by November

Never count your chickens. As BB says "depth in August isn't depth in November".

The Patriots are looking really good if that's what they're worried about, especially after signing Adalius Thomas.

Mecca
04-29-2007, 01:48 PM
Hrm I love Brandon Merriweather, just me I guess.

macdawg
04-29-2007, 03:46 PM
pats definitely are going to be a scary offense, Brady, Moroney, Stallworth, Moss, Ben Watson, Troy Brown......good O-line, they are going to create matchup problems easily this year.

Molitoth
04-29-2007, 03:59 PM
haha i thought this thread was titled...

"Rhonda Moss now a Patriot"

Amnorix
04-29-2007, 06:56 PM
These moves stink of desperation to me. They see the Colts as clearly better, and they are trying to cut corners to get back to the top.

ROFLROFLROFLROFL

tk13
04-29-2007, 07:02 PM
Hard to say they don't look great on paper. But recent sports history is littered with teams in all sports that annihilate everyone in the FA market and never gel. Hopefully it turns out like the Yankees... once that first core group that won 4 titles fell apart they started buying the best team money could buy... always looked great on paper, yet they never won a title.

'Hamas' Jenkins
04-29-2007, 07:03 PM
ROFLROFLROFLROFL

You can only have so many inmates before they overrun the warden, no matter how despotic he is.

I'm sorry, but that Welker trade was horrific. Adalius Thomas has great stats, but he's yet to do it without being surrounded by a defense that it basically entirely comprised of pro bowlers. Stallworth is injury-prone and inconsistent.

Just my opinion, but you act like NE never misses, when in reality, their FA moves lately have left something to be desired.

They addressed a need at corner last year by brining in Warfield, and LB before that by brining in Monty friggin Beisel. They miss too.

Even if the big names they've brought in this year look great, how many times have people crowned the Redskins' asses after their free agent moves?

mlyonsd
04-29-2007, 07:09 PM
The best player at any position would look terrible in the sewer called Oakland.

If Moss looks at this move as a career changer and take advantage of it look out, he could make that offense even more lethal.

Amnorix
04-29-2007, 07:12 PM
Hard to say they don't look great on paper. But recent sports history is littered with teams in all sports that annihilate everyone in the FA market and never gel. Hopefully it turns out like the Yankees... once that first core group that won 4 titles fell apart they started buying the best team money could buy... always looked great on paper, yet they never won a title.

No doubt about it -- every year the chemistry is different, and you never know if it will work until they get it together. Nobody dictates chemistry, including Torre and Belichick.

On paper we look great. But depth in August ain't depth in November, and even good chemistry won't matter if Brady or Maroney has a serious injury. And maybe the chemistry won't work to begin with.

But on paper....damn. :eek:

Amnorix
04-29-2007, 07:20 PM
You can only have so many inmates before they overrun the warden, no matter how despotic he is.

Just to disabuse you of the Saddam Hussein image you have of Belichick, you should know that he consulted the Pats team captains before finalizing the trade. In other words, he consulted BRADY and Harrison and the other key guys on the team to make sure THEY were ok with this.

Belichick isn't the moronic despot he was while he was with the Browns. That's part of why this team is so much better than those teams were.

I'm sorry, but that Welker trade was horrific.

I actually don't mind the Welker trade. He's a solid, known commodity that fills multiple needs. And the pick was very low in the 2nd, plus a 7th, which is usually (but see David Givens) about as useful as a cup of coffee to a team's SB prospects.

Adalius Thomas has great stats, but he's yet to do it without being surrounded by a defense that it basically entirely comprised of pro bowlers.

As opposed to the Pats shi**y defense. Gotcha.

Stallworth is injury-prone and inconsistent.

But we don't NEED Stallworth. We just need 3 bodies out of about 7 to do ok. Right? I mean, we have Washington, Moss, Caldwell, Stallworth, Chad Jackson, and Welker. Sure, Stallworth might get hurt, but there are many other options for a successful combo of WRs.

If 4 out of these work, we're more than fine.

Just my opinion, but you act like NE never misses, when in reality, their FA moves lately have left something to be desired.

NE has missed. Jonathan Sullivan was a whiff, but who cares cuz we traded the equally worthless Bethel Johnson. Monty Beisel and Chad Brown ruined our 2005 season. I can name every dud we've drafted since 2000. You don't need to tell me where we'v emissed. I know better than you.

But WR was clearly a problem last year, and we got EVERY top FA and have now traded for Moss. WTF did you want them to do? Bring back Jerry Rice?!?

They addressed a need at corner last year by brining in Warfield, and LB before that by brining in Monty friggin Beisel. They miss too.

NSS (no **** Sherlock). But they HIT much MORE than they miss. Hence 3 SBs, right? RIGHT?!?

Even if the big names they've brought in this year look great, how many times have people crowned the Redskins' asses after their free agent moves?

The Redskins are jackasses. They overpay past their prime players cuz they're a name. (Deion Sanders and Bruce Smith). They give away draft picks like water.

We picked up additional picks next year, trading out of picks this year (in a reasonably weak year).

We have 2 1sts, a 2nd, and 2 3rds next year. The Redskins end these runs with draft picks like this year -- a 1st and then nothing until what? Round 5 or something...

Not the same at all.

Also -- Welker -- 26. Adaleus Thomas and Moss -- 30 years old. STallworth and Washington are both <30. Not exactly Bruce Smith and Deion who were practically on Geritol when the 'skins picked them up.

Amnorix
04-29-2007, 07:24 PM
Just for the record, I haven't yet predicted a sure-fire SB win for us. And you sure as heck don't have to tell me how the Yankees getting the best player in baseball, possibly the best player in baseball history, hsn't exactly resulted in winning any WS championships.

The best team on paper isn't the automatic winner. Else we would've crowned the Chargers this year, and the Yankees the last 5 or whatever. Heck, I damn well know that on paper the 2001 Rams blew the 2001 Pats right off the map.

But as a whole, I like every move they've made, I'm more than willing to give BB/SP the benefit of the doubt, and most important, NOT all of them need to work for us to be VERY competitive in 2007.

Ari Chi3fs
04-29-2007, 07:49 PM
TO was a great pickup for the Eagles. They have been to 3 NFC Championship games in a row... Winning changes everything.

Count Alex's Losses
04-29-2007, 07:51 PM
Just for the record, I haven't yet predicted a sure-fire SB win for us.

Yeah but you're definitely thinking about it. ROFL

Amnorix
04-29-2007, 08:15 PM
Yeah but you're definitely thinking about it. ROFL

On paper, it's all good. In the real world, losing Brady or Maroney would cripple us, and I"m still worried about depth in the LB and secondary, so no, I'm not.

But heading into training camp, I'd say we're as talented as any team in the NFL. That's as much as you can ask from the off-season.

BucEyedPea
04-29-2007, 08:19 PM
But on paper....damn. :eek:
I'll say! Just heard this on the news and couldn't believe it.
Dillon was supposed to be a troublemaker too. He worked out.
Maroney though had surgery and when opened they found significant damage.
That worries me. Otherwise, I cannot believe the Pats have gone the way they are this off season!!!! :eek:

'Hamas' Jenkins
04-29-2007, 08:33 PM
Just to disabuse you of the Saddam Hussein image you have of Belichick, you should know that he consulted the Pats team captains before finalizing the trade. In other words, he consulted BRADY and Harrison and the other key guys on the team to make sure THEY were ok with this.

Belichick isn't the moronic despot he was while he was with the Browns. That's part of why this team is so much better than those teams were.

I actually don't mind the Welker trade. He's a solid, known commodity that fills multiple needs. And the pick was very low in the 2nd, plus a 7th, which is usually (but see David Givens) about as useful as a cup of coffee to a team's SB prospects.

As opposed to the Pats shi**y defense. Gotcha.

But we don't NEED Stallworth. We just need 3 bodies out of about 7 to do ok. Right? I mean, we have Washington, Moss, Caldwell, Stallworth, Chad Jackson, and Welker. Sure, Stallworth might get hurt, but there are many other options for a successful combo of WRs.

If 4 out of these work, we're more than fine.

NE has missed. Jonathan Sullivan was a whiff, but who cares cuz we traded the equally worthless Bethel Johnson. Monty Beisel and Chad Brown ruined our 2005 season. I can name every dud we've drafted since 2000. You don't need to tell me where we'v emissed. I know better than you.

But WR was clearly a problem last year, and we got EVERY top FA and have now traded for Moss. WTF did you want them to do? Bring back Jerry Rice?!?

NSS (no **** Sherlock). But they HIT much MORE than they miss. Hence 3 SBs, right? RIGHT?!?

The Redskins are jackasses. They overpay past their prime players cuz they're a name. (Deion Sanders and Bruce Smith). They give away draft picks like water.

We picked up additional picks next year, trading out of picks this year (in a reasonably weak year).

We have 2 1sts, a 2nd, and 2 3rds next year. The Redskins end these runs with draft picks like this year -- a 1st and then nothing until what? Round 5 or something...

Not the same at all.

Also -- Welker -- 26. Adaleus Thomas and Moss -- 30 years old. STallworth and Washington are both <30. Not exactly Bruce Smith and Deion who were practically on Geritol when the 'skins picked them up.

Well it's nice to see your inner prick come out when someone challenges the decisions of the almighty Belichick.

You gave away a 2nd rounder and a 7th for Wes f*cking Welker. Last year, Denver gave away a higher 2nd for Javon Walker.

Thomas is a 30 year old linebacker, which doesn't bode well for his longevity. Most LB's suffer a precipitous decline after 30.

The only thing Kelley Washington has caught so far is a bullet before he was drafted.

Randy Moss has been a cancer whereever he's gone other than the University of Marshall. He's a malcontent who desires to be miserable, and he has always half-assed it. Always. You can't change someone's desire, and Moss has always been a quitter.

Bill Parcells
04-29-2007, 09:03 PM
Randy Moss > Terry Glenn

I think he'll be suspended before the season is over by mumbles..it's worth the shot though..It's a smart move by the Patriots..they have nothing to lose and everything to gain by this..but I think it will fail miserably.

shrek6849
04-29-2007, 09:05 PM
You'll have to learn to beat Denver before you can start claiming any titles. Not that we'll be all that, but we simply own those chowds.

gblowfish
04-29-2007, 10:42 PM
Randy Moss says howdy to the Patriot Faithful:

Mecca
04-29-2007, 10:44 PM
This all be real funny when Moss is good again and the Pats look impossible to beat.

Amnorix
04-29-2007, 10:46 PM
Well it's nice to see your inner prick come out when someone challenges the decisions of the almighty Belichick.

Sorry that disagreeing with you is showing my "inner prick". Frankly, I'm not even sure why you're so excited by this conversation. You might want to consider meditation or something to help you chill out.

You gave away a 2nd rounder and a 7th for Wes f*cking Welker. Last year, Denver gave away a higher 2nd for Javon Walker.

Welcome to paying a premium for trading within your division. Oh, yes -- don't forget the part where the Pats ended up with a much cleaner contract $$$-wise than what they would have had if they had to go with the restricted FA offer route.

And finally -- note that a high 2nd in the '06 draft was worth more than a low 2nd in the '07 draft, because teh '06 draft didn't suck...

Thomas is a 30 year old linebacker, which doesn't bode well for his longevity. Most LB's suffer a precipitous decline after 30.

Well, we needed help at LB, and he was clearly the best fit for us by a mile. Where do you suggest we get help at LB? There's free agency and the draft. That's about it. Given that we were at 24 and 28 in the first round, and that the Pats complex scheme values vets over rookies by a mile, it made sense to get what everyone ELSE (except you, apparently) thought was a perfect fit for us.

The only thing Kelley Washington has caught so far is a bullet before he was drafted.

That's why he's on a one-year deal, basically.

Randy Moss has been a cancer whereever he's gone other than the University of Marshall. He's a malcontent who desires to be miserable, and he has always half-assed it. Always. You can't change someone's desire, and Moss has always been a quitter.

First, I don't think you can fairly say that the guy who has the 2nd most catches and 2nd most TDs since his rookie year of 1998 is "always" a quitter. It seems reasonbly clear that he puts out some effort some of the time, no?

He definitely quits SOMEtimes, however. It seems that he gets disinterested when he has nothing to play for. Hopefully with the Pats that won't be a problem. That doesn't make him a poster child for a great work ethic or team leader, but it might not matter much playing for US, as opposed to the pathetic Raiders.

And I disagree with the "cancer" stigma. He didn't destroy either the Vikings or the Raiders, from anything I've seen.

He's an immature dink who quits when his team is out of the hunt. I'm hopeful that that won't be a problem while he's with us, but if it is, his ass will get cut, just like Doug Freaking Gabriel...

For a 4th, it's a game well worth the risk.

Now take some valium and wait until the season plays out.

Amnorix
04-29-2007, 10:48 PM
You'll have to learn to beat Denver before you can start claiming any titles. Not that we'll be all that, but we simply own those chowds.

ROFL Like it matters...

Mecca
04-29-2007, 10:50 PM
The Pats drafted maybe my favorite player in the draft......thanks Am.

Amnorix
04-29-2007, 11:11 PM
Moss contract

Randy Moss wasn't kidding about being willing to play for less money. The contract he agreed to with the Patriots reduced his pay for 2007 to $3 million. He was scheduled to earn $9.75 million. Moss can also earn more in incentives.

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/reiss_pieces/

Amnorix
04-29-2007, 11:11 PM
The Pats drafted maybe my favorite player in the draft......thanks Am.

errr...who dat?

'Hamas' Jenkins
04-29-2007, 11:16 PM
Sorry that disagreeing with you is showing my "inner prick". Frankly, I'm not even sure why you're so excited by this conversation. You might want to consider meditation or something to help you chill out.

Welcome to paying a premium for trading within your division. Oh, yes -- don't forget the part where the Pats ended up with a much cleaner contract $$$-wise than what they would have had if they had to go with the restricted FA offer route.

And finally -- note that a high 2nd in the '06 draft was worth more than a low 2nd in the '07 draft, because teh '06 draft didn't suck...

Well, we needed help at LB, and he was clearly the best fit for us by a mile. Where do you suggest we get help at LB? There's free agency and the draft. That's about it. Given that we were at 24 and 28 in the first round, and that the Pats complex scheme values vets over rookies by a mile, it made sense to get what everyone ELSE (except you, apparently) thought was a perfect fit for us.

That's why he's on a one-year deal, basically.

First, I don't think you can fairly say that the guy who has the 2nd most catches and 2nd most TDs since his rookie year of 1998 is "always" a quitter. It seems reasonbly clear that he puts out some effort some of the time, no?

He definitely quits SOMEtimes, however. It seems that he gets disinterested when he has nothing to play for. Hopefully with the Pats that won't be a problem. That doesn't make him a poster child for a great work ethic or team leader, but it might not matter much playing for US, as opposed to the pathetic Raiders.

And I disagree with the "cancer" stigma. He didn't destroy either the Vikings or the Raiders, from anything I've seen.

He's an immature dink who quits when his team is out of the hunt. I'm hopeful that that won't be a problem while he's with us, but if it is, his ass will get cut, just like Doug Freaking Gabriel...

For a 4th, it's a game well worth the risk.

Now take some valium and wait until the season plays out.

It wasn't disagreeing with me, it was the way that you started to blow your stack. I wasn' the one who got bent out of shape over any of this. When I say Wes f*cking Welker you automatically think I'm pounding the podium, a la Hitler, when in reality I'm laughing at the stupidity of the move.

Paying a premium for trading within your division or not, it was still an asinine move incommensurate with the value of the player.

You seem to think I'm personally attacking the Patriots. I'm not. I'm just not sucking their cocks because they're the Patriots. There is a difference.

In some ways this is analagous to authors who write a couple of good books, then turn out 5 shitty ones. The shitty ones get overlooked because of the initial track record, but it doesn't change the fact that those last five books were shitty. Sorry that you have a hard time hearing something other than the party line, but that's your problem, not mine.

And P.S. you should be wise enough not to confuse erudition with exasperation/anger.

Mecca
04-29-2007, 11:19 PM
errr...who dat?

Merriweather........

Hamas......I think part of the reason he's coming at you like that is when you call guys like Adalius Thomas and Brandon Merriweather bad editions it's going to make people question what the hell you're talking about.

Amnorix
04-29-2007, 11:21 PM
Paying a premium for trading within your division or not, it was still an asinine move incommensurate with the value of the player.

:shrug: Agree to disagree then. I thought the price was a bit high, but not ridiculously so. It's CLEAR to me that the Pats hated this draft. Thought the talent level was far below average. We demanded a #1 for Branch probably in part because the talent level was so bad. Then we ditch the 28th pick for a 4th and a 1 next year from SF. The 4th turns into Randy Moss. We ditch the 2nd for Welker. We ditch the 3rd to the Raiders for a 7th this year and a 3rd (probably high) next year.

Because we had the extra pick in hand, we basically ended up trading Deion Branch, a 2nd and a 7th for Wes Welker, Randy Moss, and SF's #1 next year.

How does that sound to you? Cuz I gotta say I'm ok with it... :)

And P.S. you should be wise enough not to confuse erudition with exasperation/anger.

Ah, it's erudition. Ok. :shrug:

Mecca
04-29-2007, 11:22 PM
Also I want someone to explain to me how Brandon Merriweather is this horrid guy that will ruin your team that Hamas was acting like he was.

Count Alex's Losses
04-29-2007, 11:22 PM
Brady and Welker will be money on third downs. Especially with Moss and Stallworth drawing coverage. AND Ben Watson. Jesus.

Amnorix
04-29-2007, 11:24 PM
Merriweather........

Hamas......I think part of the reason he's coming at you like that is when you call guys like Adalius Thomas and Brandon Merriweather bad editions it's going to make people question what the hell you're talking about.

Ah. I hope he works out. Idiot radio is full of "have the Pats lowered their standards by taking Meriweather and Moss" babbling.

I think that if history has shown nothing else, the Pats always (1) do their homework on their guys, (2) have NEVER missed on a 1st round pick during the BB/SP era*, and (3) aren't shy to cut a guy to cut their losses, instead of keeping him around just so they don't look bad.

*warning: past success is not an indicator of future or continued success.

We'll see. If he can stay clean, he looks like a helluva addition to our secondary.

'Hamas' Jenkins
04-29-2007, 11:24 PM
Merriweather........

Edge Hartwell averaged about 110 tackles his last 3 years in Baltimore. Signed a huge contract and has been shit since.

What did Gary Baxter do after he left?

Duane Starks?

The list is long and distinguished, like my Johnson[/Slider.]

Merriweather could have been had with their later 1st round pick, giving them more value, and has major character issues--unless you think stomping a guy during a fight multiple times, and being involved in an off campus shooting (albeit with a registered gun) par for the course.

Mecca
04-29-2007, 11:25 PM
I still don't think anything Merriweather ever did was even that bad........

Amnorix
04-29-2007, 11:26 PM
Brady and Welker will be money on third downs. Especially with Moss and Stallworth drawing coverage. AND Ben Watson. Jesus.

EXACTLY.

Look -- if Wes Welker is "just" another Troy Brown/Wayne Chrebet type, then he's WELL worth a 2nd and a 7th.

All he needs to do is stay healthy, be consistent, and be a solid return man and 3rd down/slot/move the chains guy, and absolutely nobody will bitch about spending a 2nd on him.

The draft is a total crapshoot. Even highly touted WRs often are either head cases or just busts. Even good ones are almost never good until their 2nd or 3rd year.

Welker should contribute immediately, and be a solid guy for us. And that's all we need from him.

Mecca
Edge Hartwell averaged about 110 tackles his last 3 years in Baltimore. Signed a huge contract and has been shit since.

What did Gary Baxter do after he left?

Duane Starks?

The list is long and distinguished, like my Johnson[/Slider.]

Merriweather could have been had with their later 1st round pick, giving them more value, and has major character issues--unless you think stomping a guy during a fight multiple times, and being involved in an off campus shooting (albeit with a registered gun) par for the course.

The gun issue was someone shot his friend he shot back, it was all legal that to me is a non issue.........

It's a fight you could just as easily weigh that to teammate loyalty as him being a bad guy.........

I think Merriweather is going to be a star and the Pats loved the guy...and if they had waited I truly think the Eagles would have taken him, the Pats made the smart move.

tk13
I would have to say what Merriweather did during that brawl was wayyy over the line. It's one thing to be in a fight, to use your cleats like that though is a totally dirty play.

'Hamas' Jenkins
A (2) have NEVER missed on a 1st round pick during the BB/SP era*, and

We'll see. If he can stay clean, he looks like a helluva addition to our secondary.

Daniel Graham

Amnorix
04-29-2007, 11:27 PM
I still don't think anything Merriweather ever did was even that bad........

I havent' seen the tape, but the head stomping thing sounds pretty bad. And it's not *exactly* heat of the moment, from what I understand. But being young and dumb allows for one stupid mistake to be excused, if it's not indicative of a pattern.

The gun thing sounds wildly overblown, since he had a license to carry and was acting in self-defense.

Mecca
04-29-2007, 11:29 PM
The NFL draft weekend is really stupid sometimes........

Hell Marshawn Lynch almost got shot in a drive by and they tried to say that was a character issue against him, hows that work....

'Hamas' Jenkins
04-29-2007, 11:29 PM
<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/f4umT51TUaI"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/f4umT51TUaI" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Check at about the 45-55 second mark for #19

Amnorix
04-29-2007, 11:31 PM
Daniel Graham

:spock:

errr...we're talking 5 year starter, one of the bet blocking TEs in the NFL, who helped us win multiple Super Bowls, right? With a latter half of the first round pick (pretty sure it was 21), right? The one who signed a huge contract with the Broncos??

I said "missed". I didn't say every 1st rounder was a perennial Pro Bowler.

Mecca
04-29-2007, 11:34 PM
It's a brawl......nice things don't happen in brawls....

Amnorix
04-29-2007, 11:35 PM
Saw the tape. While realizing that that is totally unacceptable, I wouldn't let that stop me from drafting him either.

That's not at the level of the Haynesworth thing, IMHO.

Amnorix
It's a brawl......nice things don't happen in brawls....

Yeah, or at the bottom of the pile when there's a fumble, for that matter.

'Hamas' Jenkins

errr...we're talking 5 year starter, one of the bet blocking TEs in the NFL, who helped us win multiple Super Bowls, right? With a latter half of the first round pick (pretty sure it was 21), right? The one who signed a huge contract with the Broncos??

I said "missed". I didn't say every 1st rounder was a perennial Pro Bowler.

There have been lots of *starters* on Super Bowl teams who were still shitty players.

Look dude, if you draft a TE at 21, you expect him to do more than average 24 catches a year. If you want that kind of TE, draft him in Round 4-6.

Mecca
04-29-2007, 11:36 PM
Apparently the Broncos disagree with this assessment seeing how much money he got.

Amnorix
04-29-2007, 11:40 PM
There have been lots of *starters* on Super Bowl teams who were still shitty players.

Look dude, if you draft a TE at 21, you expect him to do more than average 24 catches a year. If you want that kind of TE, draft him in Round 4-6.

That's why the Broncos gave him the contract that they did? Because they view him as a shitty player? One who should've been drafted in Round 4-6.

Was he worth THAT pick, exactly? Probably not. But was he a "miss"? I don't think so. He's a very good, solid, football player. Was there anybody that entire draft picked after him we'd rather have had? I'm sure there was. But that's not the standard.

'Hamas' Jenkins
Apparently the Broncos disagree with this assessment seeing how much money he got.

The same team that brought you the Browncos and Maurice Clarett in the last two years? BFD.

The tip of your shovel is blunt from the speed with which you are digging your hole.

Amnorix

Hamas' erudition appears to be nosediving at this point.

Anyway, off to bed. 'night all.

'Hamas' Jenkins
04-29-2007, 11:43 PM
That's why the Broncos gave him the contract that they did? Because they view him as a shitty player? One who should've been drafted in Round 4-6.

Was he worth THAT pick, exactly? Probably not. But was he a "miss"? I don't think so. He's a very good, solid, football player. Was there anybody that entire draft picked after him we'd rather have had? I'm sure there was. But that's not the standard.

You get solid football players in Rounds 3-5. You get stars in Round 1. Graham was a disappointment, and couldn't catch gonorrhea from a 2 dollar whore.

The Broncos just paid 30 million for a slightly better (albeit still subpar) receiving and worse blocking version of Jason Dunn.

'Hamas' Jenkins
04-29-2007, 11:47 PM
Here's a blurb from Fox Sports taking a 5 year look back at the '02 draft:

21. New England Patriots- TE Daniel Graham

Now: Signed with Broncos

Coupled with Ben Watson, the Pats took tight ends in the first round in back to back seasons. Watson worked out- now one of Brady’s favorite targets- while Graham really didn’t. He’ll take his game to Denver next season.

Grade: C-

Mecca and Amnorix, what is your argument? You can't back it up with his production, because a blocking TE isn't worth 30 mill over 5 years? He can't back it up with stats, because they aren't there. The only thing you can point to is the contract another team gave him. If that is in fact the case, then is Kendrell Bell a good linebacker because he scored a decent contract in FA?? Is Matt Schaub a franchise QB because he got a 50 million dollar deal despite never winning a single NFL game?

Where's the logic here?

Amnorix
04-29-2007, 11:48 PM
You get solid football players in Rounds 3-5. You get stars in Round 1. Graham was a disappointment, and couldn't catch gonorrhea from a 2 dollar whore.

The Broncos just paid 30 million for a slightly better (albeit still subpar) receiving and worse blocking version of Jason Dunn.

Last post before I hit the sack. You clearyl aren't very familiar iwth the failure rate of picks in the draft. Not just 1st rounders (which is might higher than you'd expect), but also picks from rounds 3-5.

Do yourself a favor and look at your favorite team's (I assume it's the Chiefs) picks in rounds 3-5 for the last 5 or 10 years and see hwo many of them played 80+% of the snaps on whatever side of the ball they were on, as Graham did for the Pats during his tenure here.

You'd find the result interesting, I'm sure.

'Hamas' Jenkins
04-29-2007, 11:53 PM
Last post before I hit the sack. You clearyl aren't very familiar iwth the failure rate of picks in the draft. Not just 1st rounders (which is might higher than you'd expect), but also picks from rounds 3-5.

Do yourself a favor and look at your favorite team's (I assume it's the Chiefs) picks in rounds 3-5 for the last 5 or 10 years and see hwo many of them played 80+% of the snaps on whatever side of the ball they were on, as Graham did for the Pats during his tenure here.

You'd find the result interesting, I'm sure.

Here's the interesting thing, though.

Our first rounders, Sims, LJ, Siavii, DJ, and Hali

2/5 were busts, of course. It's not a pissing contest to compare whose FO is better, what it is about is calling a spade a spade, which you can't do.

Graham was a poor draft pick. You said they've never missed on a first rounder. You're clearly wrong.

If he was as good as you claim, the Pats wouldn't have drafted another TE in the first round the next year, nor would they have let them walk when he was so "valuable" to them, and they were flush with cash via the cap.

Mecca
04-29-2007, 11:54 PM
Well Ben Watson is an athletic freak of a TE........

If Graham and Dunn are so close why when Dunn was a FA did he resign here for peanuts......while Graham was a highly coveted FA that would have gotten a big deal by whatever team signed him.....

'Hamas' Jenkins
04-29-2007, 11:56 PM

If Graham and Dunn are so close why when Dunn was a FA did he resign here for peanuts......while Graham was a highly coveted FA that would have gotten a big deal by whatever team signed him.....

That's not an argument. Demand in an insane FA market fresh with a huge cap extension with NO Te's available does not indicate a good player, nor do averages of 24 catches and 3.4 TDs a year from a first round draft pick.

Count Alex's Losses
04-29-2007, 11:59 PM
I like how Meriweather stomps on the side of the guys knee. Smart football player.

'Hamas' Jenkins
04-30-2007, 12:00 AM
I like how Meriweather stomps on the side of the guys knee. Smart football player.

So that's why the Pats drafted him ROFL ROFL

Mecca
04-30-2007, 12:03 AM
He fits that scheme perfectly........

He has excellent cover skills, he's smart, he's capable of playing corner and safety.

He's a Patriot pick to the T.

'Hamas' Jenkins
04-30-2007, 12:15 AM
He fits that scheme perfectly........

He has excellent cover skills, he's smart, he's capable of playing corner and safety.

He's a Patriot pick to the T.
A Pat pick in his ability/versatility? Yeah. Could they have gotten him a little later? Yeah. Does he have major character issues? Yeah.

Mecca
04-30-2007, 06:31 AM
I think this guy is taking things a bit far........I came upon this...

My Patriots receive an f for failing to live up to who they are and what got them there. I don't want Randy Moss, I have lived and died with this franchise for 30+ years and the part of the recent championship run I value the most is pointing out the character and attitude of the players who achieved that run to my kids. I do not want to celebrate a 4th championship if it means Randy Moss is standing front & center with the likes of Troy Brown, Tedy, Tom et al. I truly hope he pull a TO only early in the season and gets cut. I'll take that and a 7-9 finish just to be able to tell my kids it's still ok root for them.

I do not want to root for the Yankees of the NFL and I certainly don't want the high priced veterans we bring in to be of the questionable character of Randy Moss. I valued the past teams being greater than the sum of the individuals that comprised it. Randy Moss is not a similar piece.

Like anyone else who frequents the site, I love the draft and the hope it brings, I like to grade prospects and project who fits my team. I was sadly disapointed to see us pick the way we did this weekend. It is a long time to next April.

Bwana
04-30-2007, 07:03 AM
I think this guy is taking things a bit far

Perhaps, but I sure as hell wouldn't want that pile of crap on our team. I can understand where the guy is coming from.

Mecca
04-30-2007, 07:08 AM
On a team like the Pats Moss is a different player......he's what we call the front runner. When your good he's great when you suck he doesn't give a shit.

BucEyedPea
04-30-2007, 07:14 AM
Randy Moss > Terry Glenn

I really hoping he'll be suspended before the season is over by mumbles..it's worth the shot though..It's a smart move by the Patriots..they have nothing to lose and everything to gain by this..but I'm praying that it will fail miserably.
FYP ;)

Bwana
04-30-2007, 07:16 AM
On a team like the Pats Moss is a different player......he's what we call the front runner. When your good he's great when you suck he doesn't give a shit.

Really? That's good to know. I look forward to seeing Randy turn over a new leaf, become a team "front runner" and marvel at the greatness that is the new Randy.

Mecca
04-30-2007, 07:18 AM
Well he'll probably look like he use too........

It's a 4th rounder for a team playing for the bowl it's a great move.

The Colts pissed off Belichick and now he will show them by building a team that isn't even allowed on Madden.

Bill Parcells
04-30-2007, 07:20 AM
FYP ;)
LOL!

I still want to know who's going to catch the ball over the middle for Brady..Moss is only good at the alley-oop/jump ball stuff,Stallworth is a deep threat also,and Welker?meh..

Will Moss be able to be humbled by Brady yelling at him on national TV after a **** up?I don't think so..stop drinking the mumbles Kool-aid,these are reasonable questions.

Mecca
04-30-2007, 07:22 AM
They got this guy playing TE......he's an athletic freak you may have heard of him Ben Watson.....I think the middle is covered pretty well.

BucEyedPea
04-30-2007, 07:28 AM
LOL!
Will Moss be able to be humbled by Brady yelling at him on national TV after a **** up?I don't think so..stop drinking the mumbles Kool-aid,these are reasonable questions.

I don't think Brady will have any problem humbling himself to Moss.
Now, bowing toward Mecca.

Bill Parcells
04-30-2007, 07:29 AM
They got this guy playing TE......he's an athletic freak you may have heard of him Ben Watson.....I think the middle is covered pretty well.
We'll see,

They also have to be worried about Maroney's durability and the lack of depth at cb. should be interesting.

Bill Parcells
04-30-2007, 07:31 AM
I don't think Brady will have any problem humbling himself to Moss.
Now, bowing toward Mecca.
Bruschi and Harrison have gone on record saying they will not put up with Moss's childish bullshit..nothing ever stopped him before..

Moss is the one that has to be humbled,not Brady.

Who's Mecca?

Mecca
Well Merriweather is capable of playing the inside CB spots...

The RB spot is really the only spot on their team I see a major concern because I'm not sure what Maroney is as a feature guy.

Mecca
Bruschi and Harrison have gone on record saying they will not put up with Moss's childish bullshit..nothing ever stopped him before..

Moss is the one that has to be humbled,not Brady.

Who's Mecca?

They all signed off on bringing Moss in.......

Bill Parcells
04-30-2007, 07:34 AM
They all signed off on bringing Moss in.......
Of course they are,they have to be...it's worth the gamble..but what if he becomes a super asshole? then what?

Mecca
04-30-2007, 07:36 AM
You cut him? They gave up a 4, and he agreed to restructure his deal, I'm sure it's slanted in the Pats favor for this occasion.

Don't worry Randy will be good for atleast 1 year, if they're as good as they should be I doubt they'll be any issues at all, that's Randy.

BucEyedPea
04-30-2007, 07:36 AM
Of course they are,they have to be...it's worth the gamble..but what if he becomes a super asshole? then what?
They'll cross that bridge when and if it comes.
No need for anxiety bill. So just relax.

Bill Parcells
04-30-2007, 07:39 AM
You cut him? They gave up a 4, and he agreed to restructure his deal, I'm sure it's slanted in the Pats favor for this occasion.

Don't worry Randy will be good for atleast 1 year, if they're as good as they should be I doubt they'll be any issues at all, that's Randy.
You cut him or suspend him,right..that may happen,you don't know..nobody does.

Mecca
04-30-2007, 07:39 AM
If I was Jets fan I'd be praying like he is too........the Pats look tough, real tough.......

Bill Parcells
04-30-2007, 07:40 AM
They'll cross that bridge when and if it comes.
No need for anxiety bill. So just relax.
Anxiety? ROFL

I can't relax,I just had 3 cups of coffee,I'm wired.

Bill Parcells
04-30-2007, 07:41 AM
If I was Jets fan I'd be praying like he is too........the Pats look tough, real tough.......
I agree with that,they do look unstoppable on offense.

BucEyedPea
04-30-2007, 07:44 AM
Well, I am touched by his caring concern. It's nice to see that in a rival fan. :)

HemiEd
04-30-2007, 08:03 AM
Just to disabuse you of the Saddam Hussein image you have of Belichick, you should know that he consulted the Pats team captains before finalizing the trade.

But did you see how Belichick was dressed, for the interview they had with him on ESPN. How embarrassing for the Pats! He looked his Grandmother had dressed him with stuff from the Salvation Army reject pile. :D

Bwana
04-30-2007, 08:06 AM
But did you see how Belichick was dressed, for the interview they had with him on ESPN. How embarrassing for the Pats! He looked his Grandmother had dressed him with stuff from the Salvation Army reject pile. :D

ROFL

The guy always does look he's homeless without two dimes to rub together, but I have to hand it to him, he gets the job done.

HemiEd
04-30-2007, 08:08 AM
ROFL

The guy always does look he's homeless without two dimes to rub together, but I have to hand it to him, he gets the job done.

You said a mouthful, he sure does.

BucEyedPea
04-30-2007, 08:11 AM
ROFL

Give him a break. He IS going through a divorce! :D

kepp
04-30-2007, 08:19 AM
Moss at Oakland wuzza disaster
That's kind of a "chicken-or-the-egg" type of scenario, isn't it?

BucEyedPea
04-30-2007, 08:22 AM
I'm readin' Favre is PO'd at how the Moss Pats deal went down. That Brett really went to bat for Moss.

Amnorix
04-30-2007, 08:22 AM

Not to mention Graham plays the X position, while Watson plays the Y, for us. Two different types of tight ends, one more receiver oriented and alot more movement.

When we lost Graham, we picked up Kyle Brady, whose a pure blocking TE, as he fits that need (for an X TE).

Amnorix
04-30-2007, 08:24 AM
Well Merriweather is capable of playing the inside CB spots...

The RB spot is really the only spot on their team I see a major concern because I'm not sure what Maroney is as a feature guy.

LB depth and secondary depth worries me too.

Amnorix
04-30-2007, 08:25 AM

Then we cut him, duh.

His salary is only $3M.

Amnorix
04-30-2007, 08:29 AM

:)

He could dress in a tutu for all I care. Our QB is the GQ cover boy, if one per team is required. :D

Amnorix
04-30-2007, 08:30 AM
I'm readin' Favre is PO'd at how the Moss Pats deal went down. That Brett really went to bat for Moss.

Unfortunately, he plays for a team that sucks, and he's about to retire himself. Not sure what the draw there is for Moss, really. If it was 5 years ago, it's a different story.

cadmonkey
04-30-2007, 10:03 AM

Cry me a river Brett :deevee:

Its not like Farve never changed his mond on anything. Wasn't he supposed to retire like 3 times already?

vailpass
04-30-2007, 10:14 AM
I wouldn't have that alligator arming over the middle, tantrum throwing, no respect for the game, quit when behind, no-good ****** Moss on my team for anything.

NE is welcome to him.

oldandslow
04-30-2007, 10:16 AM
I wouldn't have that alligator arming over the middle, tantrum throwing, no respect for the game, quit when behind, no-good ****** Moss on my team for anything.

NE is welcome to him.

After they win the SB next year - and they are my pick right now - you might feel differently.

Amnorix
04-30-2007, 10:32 AM

NE is welcome to him.

Does he alligator arm over the middle? Seriously, I haven't watched him a ton...

vailpass
04-30-2007, 10:39 AM
After they win the SB next year - and they are my pick right now - you might feel differently.

You couldn't be more wrong.

vailpass
04-30-2007, 10:41 AM
Does he alligator arm over the middle? Seriously, I haven't watched him a ton...

Watch him. He hears footsteps and short-arms it to avoid taking the hard shot.

Now that he is playing for a winner he may change some of his ways and give 100% more often. God knows the talent is there. In my eyes that will still never make up for dogging it because you are not winning while your teammates are still battling.

I respect BB for doing what he feels necessary to get another SB ring. Moss is just one guy that is all the wrong things for me.

Amnorix
04-30-2007, 10:54 AM
Watch him. He hears footsteps and short-arms it to avoid taking the hard shot.

Now that he is playing for a winner he may change some of his ways and give 100% more often. God knows the talent is there. In my eyes that will still never make up for dogging it because you are not winning while your teammates are still battling.

I respect BB for doing what he feels necessary to get another SB ring. Moss is just one guy that is all the wrong things for me.

That's Owens to me. Moss, to me, is an immature punk. TO is far, FAR worse in my book.

I actively DO NOT want TO on my team, even if he paid us to be on it. I don't view Moss that way.

vailpass
04-30-2007, 10:56 AM
That's Owens to me. Moss, to me, is an immature punk. TO is far, FAR worse in my book.

I actively DO NOT want TO on my team, even if he paid us to be on it. I don't view Moss that way.

Cool, sounds like you like TO as much as I like Moss. Looks like NE got the right guy for you.

I'd have TO over Moss any day of the week and twice on MLK day. The fact that TO goes over the middle where Moss is afraid to venture is enough for me.

Amnorix
04-30-2007, 11:02 AM
Cool, sounds like you like TO as much as I like Moss. Looks like NE got the right guy for you.

I'd have TO over Moss any day of the week and twice on MLK day. The fact that TO goes over the middle where Moss is afraid to venture is enough for me.

Really? I think TO is 100% what you WANT "on the field" and 1,000% what you DON'T want off the field.

TO's skills, blocking and willignness to lay it all out there are admirable, but his off-the-field hystrionics are so over the top, and his team-destroying attitude so bad, that I can't imagine why any team would want him. If he could destroy a very good team like the Eagles, I can't see why anyone would take the chance.

I think, on the field, that Moss is a better deep threat and red zone threat, while not being as good across the middle, or in blocking, or in terms of overall effort. But he's never killed a team with his sh***y attitude either.

Ultimately, I see TO as a bona fide A-hole, and Moss as an immature dink.

HemiEd
04-30-2007, 12:11 PM
:)

He could dress in a tutu for all I care. Our QB is the GQ cover boy, if one per team is required. :D

Well, you gotta forgive me, Hank Stram kind of set my standards pretty high. :p
But, did you see him, BB interview? He embarrassed me, and I am not even a Pats fan! ROFL

'Hamas' Jenkins
04-30-2007, 12:13 PM
Theory: Belichick is a high functioning autistic whose area of expertise is football.

That would explain the lack of social skills and relative "genious" .

vailpass
04-30-2007, 01:22 PM
Theory: Belichick is a high functioning autistic whose area of expertise is football.

That would explain the lack of social skills and relative "genious" .

as well as the whole "that's another guy's wife" thing.

BucEyedPea
04-30-2007, 01:42 PM
Cry me a river Brett :deevee:

Its not like Farve never changed his mond on anything. Wasn't he supposed to retire like 3 times already?
What's that? Pitcher's mound? Wrong sport sir! :p ;)

Amnorix
04-30-2007, 02:13 PM
Well, you gotta forgive me, Hank Stram kind of set my standards pretty high. :p
But, did you see him, BB interview? He embarrassed me, and I am not even a Pats fan! ROFL

Please see my Avatar for what I want from Bill Belichick. :)

convict1983
04-30-2007, 03:14 PM
NE is definitely the Super Bowl favorite. They are now STACKED at wide out.

Oakland and NE are two different planets as far as how their organizations are ran. Moss will flourish with Brady throwing to him.

ESPN also reported that Moss recently clocked in at 4.29. :(

Bill Parcells
04-30-2007, 03:28 PM
Then we cut him, duh.

His salary is only $3M.
But you're going in the other direction from how the team was built,and how mumbles won all those championships,duh.

With character players,not thugs..you are one super homer dude.

Amnorix
04-30-2007, 04:11 PM
But you're going in the other direction from how the team was built,and how mumbles won all those championships,duh.

With character players,not thugs..you are one super homer dude.

Is Moss a Thug? He's a dope, maybe, but I haven't heard about him being a thug. As for Meriweather, we'll hve to see. Rodney Harrison is no choir boy, and Logan Mankins our first round pick of a couple years ago, got tossed for visibly trying to punch someone in the nuts. Football isn't ballerina.

And tell me you wouldn't drink the Kool-Aid if your coach had won you 3 SBs and had gotten to within a minute of another one just this past year?

Seriously -- Bill Belichick is the best coach/GM around here since some fool named Arnold Auerbach. And if Arnold Auerbach tells me that Ron Artest and Dennis Rodman being on the Celtics at the same time is a great idea, I'm at least going to let him try. Wouldn't you?

Fairplay
04-30-2007, 04:15 PM
I think he is a good pick up for the Patriots.

He will only make them better.

Bill Parcells
04-30-2007, 04:19 PM
Is Moss a Thug? He's a dope, maybe, but I haven't heard about him being a thug. As for Meriweather, we'll hve to see. Rodney Harrison is no choir boy, and Logan Mankins our first round pick of a couple years ago, got tossed for visibly trying to punch someone in the nuts. Football isn't ballerina.
Ok,a dope..as for Meriweather..I think he's going to be good..from what I heard from a Canes fan I know he got a bad rap in that brawl,he's really not as bad a kid as everyone is saying.

And tell me you wouldn't drink the Kool-Aid if your coach had won you 3 SBs and had gotten to within a minute of another one just this past year?

Seriously -- Bill Belichick is the best coach/GM around here since some fool named Arnold Auerbach. And if Arnold Auerbach tells me that Ron Artest and Dennis Rodman being on the Celtics at the same time is a great idea, I'm at least going to let him try. Wouldn't you?
He hasn't won a SB since 04,and he didn't win them with guys like Moss..Harrison played hard all the time wherever he played,he's a good player that gives full effort.

http://www.blogsmithmedia.com/www.aolsportsblog.com/media/2007/03/bradygolfer.jpg

Mile High Mania
04-30-2007, 04:23 PM
As much as I don't care for the Pats... it's hard to argue with the track record. NE fans point to BB and say "can you argue with that" much like Denver fans still do with Shanahan.

I think it's funny to say "well, what have they done since 2004?"

They lost to Denver in 05 in the playoffs and they were close to advancing to another SB in 06.

Bill is taking some huge risks, but they're calculated risks. They haven't signed a TO... as crazy as Moss can be at times, he is not TO.

They have deviated from what brought them success in the past, but that doesn't mean it won't work out.

Nothing is a lock, but if you're a NE fan... how could you not love what is going on?

Amnorix
04-30-2007, 04:31 PM
He hasn't won a SB since 04,and he didn't win them with guys like Moss..Harrison played hard all the time wherever he played,he's a good player that gives full effort.

Errrr....he beat the vaunted Chargers and came within 1 minute of getting to the SB last year, and can you honestly say we would not have beaten the Bears, 9 times out of 10, in the SB?

Mile High Mania
04-30-2007, 04:42 PM
Since the 2000 season, there are only 5 teams to win at least 70 or more games (7 seasons - avg 10 wins):

Colts - 76 wins
Patriots - 75 wins
Eagles - 75 wins
Steelers - 72 wins
Broncos - 70 wins

Those teams have been the most consistent this decade, with the Ravens just off the mark at 67 wins.

Read into what you like, but those teams have a pretty good track record and for the most part... they contend every year.

Bill Parcells
04-30-2007, 04:47 PM
Errrr....he beat the vaunted Chargers and came within 1 minute of getting to the SB last year, and can you honestly say we would not have beaten the Bears, 9 times out of 10, in the SB?
Listen,had they beaten the Colts,there's no doubt in my mind they win the super bowl. I'm not arguing about his track record as much as i'm saying he's going against his past track record with Moss.

Mile High Mania
04-30-2007, 05:00 PM
I dunno... NE has had success with the likes of Dillon, Harrison and Cox. They played nice in NE.

Granted, this is an unprecedented move by bringing in 3-4 guys (counting Merriweather) that have character concerns.

I'm sure it will all work out for them... just to spite me. Should be a fun season though, the AFC saw several teams get better.

Amnorix
04-30-2007, 05:24 PM
Listen,had they beaten the Colts,there's no doubt in my mind they win the super bowl. I'm not arguing about his track record as much as i'm saying he's going against his past track record with Moss.

Bryan Cox, Corey Dillon, and Rodney Harrison were "problem children", to an extent, and i can point to a fair number of draft picks who ended up not being the hardest workers on the field.

You take the player as he is. You can't get a superior, experienced, tall, strong, fast veteran WR with no warts unless you already have him on your team or are willing to pay $10M/year.

You take chances. EVERY new player involves taking a hcance. You weigh the probabilities, and pull the trigger. Sometimes it works out, sometimes it doens't.

Mecca
04-30-2007, 05:26 PM
Bill is doing what I expect every Jet fan to do "oh shit that team is going to destroy us.........uh yea bad move uh someone will screw up.....please screw up please!"

Amnorix
04-30-2007, 05:28 PM
I dunno... NE has had success with the likes of Dillon, Harrison and Cox. They played nice in NE.

DOH. Beat me to it. Disturbing that we're thinking along the same lines, really.

Granted, this is an unprecedented move by bringing in 3-4 guys (counting Merriweather) that have character concerns.

Errr...2, right? I don't think our other pickups have any.

Also, we have a strong core group of vets who have established the tone. I think it's different from, say, a younger team just trying to develop their identitiy.

I'm sure it will all work out for them... just to spite me. Should be a fun season though, the AFC saw several teams get better.

I think there's 3-4 teams in the AFC with a shot to go to the SB, and the rest are seriously f**ked with no hope at all. No dark horses in this crowd...

NFC -- could damn well be anybody...

Amnorix
04-30-2007, 05:34 PM
Bill is doing what I expect every Jet fan to do "oh shit that team is going to destroy us.........uh yea bad move uh someone will screw up.....please screw up please!"

Jets had a good year last year, but I suspect they'll take a step back. Don't get me wrong, I like Mangini over the long run, BUT:

1. Pennington has to stay healthy. That's rarely done in back to back years.

2. schedule is much harder.

3. won't surprise anyone this year.

I don't see them being 10-6 again, most likely.

mlyonsd
04-30-2007, 05:34 PM
I'd like to see the Patriot sideline when Moss comes back to it after quitting on a play the first time.

Brady might just kick his ass right on national tv.

Amnorix
04-30-2007, 05:36 PM
I'd like to see the Patriot sideline when Moss comes back to it after quitting on a play the first time.

Brady might just kick his ass right on national tv.

Brady, Seymour, Harrison, Bruschi, Vrabel. It wouldn't be pretty to watch.

Mile High Mania
04-30-2007, 05:42 PM
Amnorix ... I was obviously counting Moss and Merriweather (sp?). Stallworth had a drug violation if I recall correctly and I thought I read something about Kelly Washington in Cincy.

Tribal Warfare
04-30-2007, 05:44 PM
http://www.blogsmithmedia.com/www.aolsportsblog.com/media/2007/03/bradygolfer.jpg

The pose of a man who banged Bridget Moynahan and Gisele Bundchen

:banghead:

Mile High Mania
04-30-2007, 05:50 PM
I think the AFCW is a legit 3-team race... the Raiders will be last, barring a miracle... I believe they are a consensus pick for last.

San Diego still has a solid team, but the coaching changes cannot be ignored. The scheduling for the AFCW teams is pretty brutal as well. Denver and KC have both improved as well.

There is a legit 3 team race in the AFCW.

I think that NE is the clear leader in that division, but the Jets *could* challenge. The addition of Thomas Jones and other moves have been solid.

The Colts are clearly the leaders in that division and should win with relative ease in my opinion.

Looking over at the Ravens, Bengals and Steelers... (sorry Brownies) and that is a legit 3-team race as well.

NE and Indy clearly have the weaker overall divisions, but that doesn't discount the greatness of those two teams.

I think there are 8 teams in the AFC with legit contender status for the AFC Title game.

Amnorix
04-30-2007, 05:51 PM
Amnorix ... I was obviously counting Moss and Merriweather (sp?). Stallworth had a drug violation if I recall correctly and I thought I read something about Kelly Washington in Cincy.

Ah. I didn't know about the drug violation for Stallworth. If Washington has any problems, other than not being as productive as hoped-for, I dont' know about that either.

Mile High Mania
04-30-2007, 05:57 PM
Stallworth item:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17468254/wid/7279844/
MSNBC News Services
Updated: 12:12 p.m. CT March 5, 2007

Philadelphia Eagles free agent wide receiver Donté Stallworth is in the NFL's substance-abuse program, several league sources have told the Philadelphia Inquirer.

Stallworth, 26, caught six passes for 141 yards and two touchdowns in two playoff games and had 38 receptions for 725 yards and five touchdowns during the regular season. He missed four games with a hamstring injury. He faces a league suspension if he violates the program again, the Inquirer said.

Mecca
04-30-2007, 05:59 PM
Ok,a dope..as for Meriweather..I think he's going to be good..from what I heard from a Canes fan I know he got a bad rap in that brawl,he's really not as bad a kid as everyone is saying.

It's a right guard commercial.......

Mile High Mania
04-30-2007, 06:02 PM
I tried googling for info on whether or not Kelly Washington had an infraction... but, his name and the fact that he was a Bengal brings up TOO MANY random links about violations.

Bill Parcells
04-30-2007, 06:14 PM
Jets had a good year last year, but I suspect they'll take a step back. Don't get me wrong, I like Mangini over the long run, BUT:

1. Pennington has to stay healthy. That's rarely done in back to back years.

2. schedule is much harder.

3. won't surprise anyone this year.

I don't see them being 10-6 again, most likely.
Very possible the Jets could be a better team with a worse record this year.

We shall see..I'll be there for the opener

Amnorix
04-30-2007, 06:17 PM
I tried googling for info on whether or not Kelly Washington had an infraction... but, his name and the fact that he was a Bengal brings up TOO MANY random links about violations.

ROFL ROFL

Bill Parcells
04-30-2007, 06:18 PM
Bryan Cox, Corey Dillon, and Rodney Harrison were "problem children", to an extent, and i can point to a fair number of draft picks who ended up not being the hardest workers on the field.

You take the player as he is. You can't get a superior, experienced, tall, strong, fast veteran WR with no warts unless you already have him on your team or are willing to pay $10M/year.

You take chances. EVERY new player involves taking a hcance. You weigh the probabilities, and pull the trigger. Sometimes it works out, sometimes it doens't.
Those 3 players were/are all hard workers though,Moss?meh....listen,I said it was a smart move by the Pats,this move has all upside with minimal risk..

Good luck!

And Mecca is correct about his assumption.

Amnorix
04-30-2007, 06:18 PM
Very possible the Jets could be a better team with a worse record this year.

We shall see..I'll be there for the opener

Precisely. I'm not sure that the team, as a whole, wouldn't be better, but I'm not sure given the schedule that it will get you to the playoffs.

'Hamas' Jenkins
05-01-2007, 12:55 AM

He got shot before the draft, otherwise he was considered a 1st or 2nd round talent...obviously he hasn't produced up to that level yet.

Rausch
05-01-2007, 01:10 AM
Considering Brady's options and the low round pick this is a no-brainer.

It's not like the Pats will take a 3 year decline after losing a 4th round pick.

Either way the Pats win on this deal...

Amnorix
05-04-2007, 07:03 AM
Interesting press conference with BB before the Pats-Raiders game to start the 2005 season.

http://www.patriots.com/mediacenter/index.cfm?ac=audionewsdetail&pid=12718&pcid=85

Q: From a talent standpoint, how difficult is it to prepare for a guy like Moss?

BB: He's one of the best receivers in the league. There is no question about that. He has all the skills. He is a tall guy. For a tall receiver, he's got exceptional quickness, and lateral quickness. He changes direction very well. He can explode out of his cuts, which you usually see more of that from shorter receivers, guys that have a lower center of gravity, that are closer to the ground. But he can really bend his knees, bend his ankles, keep his weight low, and then explode out of those cuts on slant routes, in-cuts, comebacks. He's very good at stop-and-go routes, which again is unusual for player of his size, where he can go, stop and then go again and then accelerate and beat the defender on the second part of the route. [He has] excellent hands. [He] can catch the ball away from his body and extend. He is not a body catcher at all. He has great timing on the deep balls, so he can jump high and go up and take the ball at the high point. A lot of receivers that are shorter sometimes can out-jump or just out-time the jump with the defender and get the ball. Moss has a combination of height, long arms, and good timing and jumping ability and excellent hands to go up and get the ball. He's good after the catch. He's very fast. He can get the ball on a lot of under routes and crossing patterns and things like that and outrun linebackers and safeties and pick up extra yards down the sideline. This is a very talented player. He doesn't really have any real weakness and his game, man, zone, deep routes, short routes, catching the ball, run after the catch. [He is] a smart guy. [He] can get off the jam. He's very quick on the line of scrimmage. He is a hard guy to jam and hold up. He's pretty good.

Q: Is he different from Terrell Owens?

BB: I would say yes. Owens is a bigger, more physical, probably a little stronger after the catch. He doesn't have Moss' vertical speed. I don't know does. There's not many players in the league to have Moss' vertical speed. A little different skill set, but in their own way, both are certainly in the top four or five receivers in the league.

Q: Before he came in the league was there any player who would replicate all those skills you named?

BB: I don't think I could think of a guy right off the top of my head. [Lynn] Swann had those kind of ball skills and that kind of jumping ability. But, he didn't have anywhere close to Moss' speed.

Q: Roger Carr.

BB: You're talking about a Rolls Royce and a Chevy. Carr was a good receiver, but he's no Randy Moss. I'd have to think of somebody comparable, but there wouldn't be too many. He's pretty unique. What's really unique is his height and then the quickness that he has, with as tall and angular as he is, the quickness and explosion that he has on his cuts and then the ball skills would go with it. If you can win with speed, and you can win with quickness and you can win with hands, even though the guy is on him, he can still stretch, reach out and catch the ball even though the defender is draped all over him. That's a pretty good combination of skills.

Q: Could Moss play for you?

BB: Why not?

Q: People perceive him as not being a good teammate.

BB: Well, I don't know anything about that. I really don't know anything about that. We hear that stuff about a lot of people.

Q: How about him not competing?

BB: I think Randy Moss is a good competitor. I think he's really good. There are times when he isn't going full speed. He probably knows that there's no chance that he would get the ball on that play, not based on the route or the play, based on the way that the coverage has deployed itself and therefore where the quarterback is going to be going with the ball.

Q: Do your receivers ever do things like that?

BB: I think there are a lot of players who do that. Lawrence Taylor. Lawrence Taylor was a great player. Every play wasn't his top effort and he was a high-effort player. I'm not saying that. But, Lawrence Taylor knew what the plays were in the game. He knew on third-and-eight in the fourth quarter was a lot different than first-and-10 in the second quarter. And it was. One of Lawrence's greatest strengths was his biggest plays came in the most critical times in the game. Those were the plays that if you were playing against him, you better be ready for him because of that's...short yardage, goal line, third down, key plays in the game. Were all sitting in there watching the game and you just kind of know, 'Okay, this is a big play in the game coming up. This situation.' That's where Taylor would be at his best. You could find plenty of plays on second-and-three in the second quarter that didn't look like that. You could find that with probably a lot of other players too.

Amnorix
10-14-2007, 11:04 PM
I think the Pats have had a pretty shitty offseason so far.

Adalius Thomas was surrounded by all-world talent in Baltimore. Anyone remember Edge Hartwell? How'd he do?

They vastly overpaid for Wes Welker, and now they keep drafting character problems like Meriweather and picking up guys like Moss.

No matter how strong the dictator is, there comes a point when even his iron-fisted measures can't contain all the malcontents.

Bringing this thread up from the depths in order to give Hamas a chance to revisit his prior position...

Amnorix
10-14-2007, 11:13 PM
It wasn't disagreeing with me, it was the way that you started to blow your stack. I wasn' the one who got bent out of shape over any of this. When I say Wes f*cking Welker you automatically think I'm pounding the podium, a la Hitler, when in reality I'm laughing at the stupidity of the move.

[snip]

I've ignored several other posts you had insulting Welker, but I admit that your "erudition" is lost on me.

For teh record, Wes Welker is currently tied (with TG) for 6th in the NFL with 38 catches. He has 3 TDs, 4 catches for 20+ yards, averages 64 yards a game and 52% of his catches have been for first downs.

And, oh yes, he's also returned 4 kickoffs with a solid 26 yard average, and 14 punts for an NFL 9th best 11.6 yards per catch.

Patriots Nation is in love with him. He's a gutty performer who always give 110% percent and has terrific hands. With the attention Moss (especially) and Stallworth are getting, he's a perfect complement.

2nd and 7th. It's a no-brainer. He's worth every bit of it.

Amnorix
10-14-2007, 11:15 PM

Quoted for truth. Well done.

'Hamas' Jenkins
10-15-2007, 01:15 PM
Bringing this thread up from the depths in order to give Hamas a chance to revisit his prior position...

Sure.

Obviously, Moss has done better than anyone could have expected, but even you trashed him before he became a Patriot, so isn't that the pot calling the kettle black??

Adalius Thomas really hasn't done much for you. He has 18 solo tackles, and a half sack. On the positive side, he has a pick 6, but other than that he has no other interceptions, forced fumbles, or fumble recoveries. Given the size of the contract you dished out for him, that's pretty piss poor production.

Wes Welker has worked out really well, but look at it from the outside. You gave up a 2nd and a 7th round pick (albeit late) for the guy, and gave him $9 million in guaranteed money.

Brandon Meriweather, your first round safety, has 5 solo tackles and 8 assists, no picks, no FF, no sacks, despite the fact that Harrison missed the first four games due to a suspension and your secondary depth is really thin. At least he had 0 stomps :shrug:

Hey man, obviously your transactions have worked out better than I expected so far, but you seem to be confusing this year, for the entirety of these contracts and the future. Adalius Thomas is looking like a product of the Baltimore system, Meriweather has shown little, and you paid a pretty high price for Wes Welker. Trading draft picks and overpaying for FA's never hurts you the year that you do it, it impacts the future of your franchise. But hey, you're going to win the Super Bowl this year, but you seem to be confusing 1 great, buy low addition, Moss, and one really good pick up, Welker, for a perfect offseason.

Kelley Washington has done nothing, nor has Meriweather, and Thomas has been a huge money pit.

Amnorix
10-15-2007, 02:01 PM
Oh how wrong you are...

Sure.

Obviously, Moss has done better than anyone could have expected, but even you trashed him before he became a Patriot, so isn't that the pot calling the kettle black??

I wasn't certain he'd be the super-stud he had been, but I was MORE than willing to give BB/SP the benefit of the doubt, because, as my avatar says, in BB I trust. That makes me 180 degrees off from you, who did nothing but trash every move as "an act of desperation".

More like an act (multiple acts, actually) of genius...

Adalius Thomas really hasn't done much for you. He has 18 solo tackles, and a half sack. On the positive side, he has a pick 6, but other than that he has no other interceptions, forced fumbles, or fumble recoveries. Given the size of the contract you dished out for him, that's pretty piss poor production.

You are totally and completely wrong, and stats don't begin to tell the tale.

1. Without AT (i.e. LAST year), we had Vrabel playing out of position at inside linebacker. While he's good there, he isn't able to wreak the havoc that he is this year, and set the edge as well as he does.

2. Without AT (i.e. LAST year), Bruschi was playing out of position at strong side 'backer. Now, with AT, he's playing weak side, where he's much better.

3. With AT, Bruschi and Seau are splitting time, which is much better for both of them at this point in their careers.

4. You didn't note the 5 or 6 passes defensed that AT has, or the pass that he intercepted and returned 65 yards for a TD. He also tipped a ball that turned into a pick. His presence as a 6'2" 270 pound middle backer WITH speed is not to be questioned.

5. You ignroe that his 18 solo tackles are SECOND on teh team. That his 29 (not solo) is FIRST. In a 2 gap, BB defense that's exactly where the strong side backer should be of course, but still, eh is doing his job very well.

6. Inside backers rarely get sacks in BB's defense. Bruschi's best year was 4.5 sacks.

Wes Welker has worked out really well, but look at it from the outside. You gave up a 2nd and a 7th round pick (albeit late) for the guy, and gave him $9 million in guaranteed money.

The 2nd is also late in the round, and it's a 5 year deal. And the guy is only 26 years old!!

Brandon Meriweather, your first round safety, has 5 solo tackles and 8 assists, no picks, no FF, no sacks, despite the fact that Harrison missed the first four games due to a suspension and your secondary depth is really thin. At least he had 0 stomps :shrug:

errr...I wasn't discussing Meriweather, but that's fine. He's being brought along slowly, behind some very decent safeties. Even Seymour, Warren and Wilfork didn't start right away. BB tends to bring rookies along slowly so they aren't overwhelmed. Only Logan Mankins (OLinemaen) started as rookies as a 1st round pick that I can remember, of BB's draft picks.

Hey man, obviously your transactions have worked out better than I expected so far, but you seem to be confusing this year, for the entirety of these contracts and the future. Adalius Thomas is looking like a product of the Baltimore system, Meriweather has shown little, and you paid a pretty high price for Wes Welker. Trading draft picks and overpaying for FA's never hurts you the year that you do it, it impacts the future of your franchise. But hey, you're going to win the Super Bowl this year, but you seem to be confusing 1 great, buy low addition, Moss, and one really good pick up, Welker, for a perfect offseason.

Kelley Washington has done nothing, nor has Meriweather, and Thomas has been a huge money pit.

ROFL

Washington has been a bust so far. We'll agree on that.

As to the rest, you are so very, very wrong. I can link you to many posts in Pats fan boards praising AT to the skies, but I'm sure you don't care.

'Hamas' Jenkins
10-15-2007, 02:19 PM
Oh how wrong you are...

I wasn't certain he'd be the super-stud he had been, but I was MORE than willing to give BB/SP the benefit of the doubt, because, as my avatar says, in BB I trust. That makes me 180 degrees off from you, who did nothing but trash every move as "an act of desperation".

More like an act (multiple acts, actually) of genius...

You are totally and completely wrong, and stats don't begin to tell the tale.

1. Without AT (i.e. LAST year), we had Vrabel playing out of position at inside linebacker. While he's good there, he isn't able to wreak the havoc that he is this year, and set the edge as well as he does.

2. Without AT (i.e. LAST year), Bruschi was playing out of position at strong side 'backer. Now, with AT, he's playing weak side, where he's much better.

3. With AT, Bruschi and Seau are splitting time, which is much better for both of them at this point in their careers.

4. You didn't note the 5 or 6 passes defensed that AT has, or the pass that he intercepted and returned 65 yards for a TD. He also tipped a ball that turned into a pick. His presence as a 6'2" 270 pound middle backer WITH speed is not to be questioned.

5. You ignroe that his 18 solo tackles are SECOND on teh team. That his 29 (not solo) is FIRST. In a 2 gap, BB defense that's exactly where the strong side backer should be of course, but still, eh is doing his job very well.

6. Inside backers rarely get sacks in BB's defense. Bruschi's best year was 4.5 sacks.

The 2nd is also late in the round, and it's a 5 year deal. And the guy is only 26 years old!!

errr...I wasn't discussing Meriweather, but that's fine. He's being brought along slowly, behind some very decent safeties. Even Seymour, Warren and Wilfork didn't start right away. BB tends to bring rookies along slowly so they aren't overwhelmed. Only Logan Mankins (OLinemaen) started as rookies as a 1st round pick that I can remember, of BB's draft picks.

ROFL

Washington has been a bust so far. We'll agree on that.

As to the rest, you are so very, very wrong. I can link you to many posts in Pats fan boards praising AT to the skies, but I'm sure you don't care.

Where to start...

Randy Moss -- the only Raiders WR the Pats are NOT interested in...

Basically your argument for Adalius Thomas is that he plays ILB. How in the blue hell does that make him worthy of that contract? He's a 30 year old linebacker who got 20 million guaranteed. That's in-f*ckingsane.

Could you not have found another ILB so that your other linebackers could get a blow from time to time. Also, I'd hope that your ILB leads your team in tackles, but he's coming in at a whopping 5.6 per game, which is good for 94th in the league. Color me impressed. Although he is one of 30 linebackers with a pick. Wow...:shake:

I hate to break this to you, but you gave up 9 mil in guarantees and 2 draft picks for a slot receiver. Furthermore, the guy is running all alone most of the time, because everyone else is busy trying to cover the guy that you said your team didn't want.

Moss's greatness makes Welker look a hell of a lot better than what he really is. Now, he's a good football player, but the mere fact that he's good does not mean that he is either worthy of that contract, the picks you gave up for him, nor is he doing a job that several other players in the NFL couldn't do for less money and fewer draft picks.

Amnorix
10-15-2007, 02:49 PM
Watch a Pats game once in a while and your opinion will definitely change.

All I can say is that damn near EVERY Patriots fan will disagree with you. Pats boards are falling all over themselves to profess love for AT and Welker, and anyone who was dissing those moves (and Moss) before the season is publicly eating crow and loving every minute of it.

You're not just wrong, you're VERY wrong.

'Hamas' Jenkins
10-15-2007, 02:51 PM
Watch a Pats game once in a while and your opinion will definitely change.

All I can say is that damn near EVERY Patriots fan will disagree with you. Pats boards are falling all over themselves to profess love for AT and Welker, and anyone who was dissing those moves (and Moss) before the season is publicly eating crow and loving every minute of it.

You're not just wrong, you're VERY wrong.

Dude, I've watched over half the Pats games from whistle to whistle.

Welker was great yesterday, but that doesn't mean he's validated that contract or the picks. Adalius Thomas was invisible. Then again, players leave that Baltimore D all the time and blossom :rolleyes:

You guys will fawn over everything because you're undefeated. We've done it too. People were lining up to suck Maslowski's dick when we were 9-0.

Amnorix
10-19-2007, 08:00 AM
Don't mind me while I repeatedly bring this thread back to the fore and repeatedly show how totally wrong you are.

Dr Z on Welker:

Good quote about the Patriots' Wes Welker from a scout I talked to. "They found another Troy Brown. He's what Brown gave them eight years ago." Welker might be the best receiver I ever saw adjusting to hot reads. The really good ones have to be well enough timed up with the QB so they know exactly where to be, and then they have to be prepared to make the awkward catch, since the pass will be thrown under duress. Welker not only does that, but he can also put a move on a defender to make him miss, as he's making the tough grab. He saved their ass against the Cowboys. Sure, Brady was terrific but Welker was my MVP of the game.

How could the Dolphins have let him go? When they drafted Ted Ginn in the first round, they said they wanted someone who could move the chains and return kicks for them. Hey, they had one already, His name was Wes Welker. Actually Cam Cameron saw him, once in Miami, once in San Diego.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/dr_z/10/17/running.backs/1.html

Also today, a Boston sports writer who thought the Pats overpaid for Welker falls on his sword.

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/football/patriots/view.bg?articleid=1039091

"Welker ended up signing a five-year contract with the Pats worth around $18 million, including $10 million in guaranteed money. Some observers (guilty as charged) felt the Pats overpaid. Nice call."

Amnorix
10-19-2007, 08:31 AM
Oh, and I've changed my sig to commemorate the dumbassery. :D

Soon as you admit you're wrong, Hamas, I'll switch it to something else. Presumably the Patriots don't have to win the Super Bowl before you admit that their offseason was a bit better than "shitty". ROFL

Basileus777
10-19-2007, 09:01 AM
Adalius Thomas hasn't been great, but he has been good for the Pats. Stats and numbers are poor indicators of how well a defensive player is playing except for pass rushers. Considering AD is playing a new position in a new scheme, he's hardly a bust.

Amnorix
10-19-2007, 09:25 AM
Adalius Thomas hasn't been great, but he has been good for the Pats. Stats and numbers are poor indicators of how well a defensive player is playing except for pass rushers. Considering AD is playing a new position in a new scheme, he's hardly a bust.

He's been very, very good for us. Not only is he doing a perfectly fine job, but he's allowed Vrabel to go back to the outside where he belongs, and shifted Bruschi/Seau to weakside (where they are better off at this point in their careers).

He's also shown up tremendously on pass defense, with something like 5 passes defensed and one pick (returned for TD).

And, fo course, as you say it's early in his career with us and our scheme, which is quite different from Baltimore's.

Amnorix
10-21-2007, 05:24 PM
Hey Hamas -- another shitty day for our shitty offseason acquisitions. Feel free to post your abject apologies and admit you were wrong so I can stop throwing this at you every week...

Today:

Name Catches Yards Avg TDs Long

W. Welker (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=5941) 9 138 15.3 2 36

R. Moss (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=1433) 4 122 30.5 2 50

D. Stallworth (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=3541) 3 51 17.0 1 30

dirk digler
10-21-2007, 05:39 PM
Hey Hamas -- another shitty day for our shitty offseason acquisitions. Feel free to post your abject apologies and admit you were wrong so I can stop throwing this at you every week...

Today:

Name Catches Yards Avg TDs Long

W. Welker (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=5941) 9 138 15.3 2 36

R. Moss (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=1433) 4 122 30.5 2 50

D. Stallworth (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=3541) 3 51 17.0 1 30

I really hate you and your team. :)

In all seriousness I think we maybe witnessing history. This could be one of the greatest teams in NFL history.

Amnorix
10-21-2007, 05:46 PM
I really hate you and your team. :)

In all seriousness I think we maybe witnessing history. This could be one of the greatest teams in NFL history.

We'll see. Our red zone defense is a complete abomination.

Our defense is better than the 2004 Colts, I'm pretty sure, but I really don't like the level they're performing it. It's really not championship caliber at this point.

The offense is so far beyond disgusting it's out of control, but how that holds up in New England in January, as opposed to the cozy dome of Indianapolis, is another question entirely.

'Hamas' Jenkins
10-21-2007, 06:00 PM
Oh, and I've changed my sig to commemorate the dumbassery. :D

Soon as you admit you're wrong, Hamas, I'll switch it to something else. Presumably the Patriots don't have to win the Super Bowl before you admit that their offseason was a bit better than "shitty". ROFL

Dude, I've said I was wrong about their offseason, but you're a complete hypocrite given what you are on record as saying about Moss.

You can't have it both ways.

Amnorix
10-21-2007, 06:03 PM
Dude, I've said I was wrong about their offseason, but you're a complete hypocrite given what you are on record as saying about Moss.

You can't have it both ways.

You have not admitted you were wrong until now. As recently as last week you were still putting up silly arguments about the whole thing.

Find any quote that suggests anything other than "I'm willing to give him a chance and keep my fingers crossed".

Before we got him, I never thought we'd pick him up. But once we got him, as I always do, I was more than willing to give BB the benefit of the doubt.

As recently as last week you were telling me that we waaaay overpaid for Welker. Are you admitting that you're wrong about that too? Just checking...

'Hamas' Jenkins
10-21-2007, 06:09 PM
You have not admitted you were wrong until now. As recently as last week you were still putting up silly arguments about the whole thing.

Find any quote that suggests anything other than "I'm willing to give him a chance and keep my fingers crossed".

Before we got him, I never thought we'd pick him up. But once we got him, as I always do, I was more than willing to give BB the benefit of the doubt.

As recently as last week you were telling me that we waaaay overpaid for Welker. Are you admitting that you're wrong about that too? Just checking...

Try non-linear brain functions

The Moss trade was a bet that won you a huge, huge pot.

You sunk in too much money with Thomas I think.

I also think that you've given up too much for Welker. Slot receivers just aren't worth that much. Too easy to find. Look at Stokely's 2004/05 season.

Meriweather was a blah draft pick, and he's not a character guy at all.

Yet, in spite of all that, the Moss trade has paid off so well that you have still had an amazingly successful offseason.

Moss makes everyone else on your offense much, much better than what they really are.

Look at what he did for the '98 Vikings.

And FTR

"Randy Moss, the only Raiders receiver the Pats DON'T want."

It is impressive to watch you talk out of both sides of your mouth though, asshat.

Bill Parcells
10-21-2007, 06:14 PM
I think after watching Amnorix jerking off in this thread all over himself it makes one thing clear. ALL of the Patriots fans posters (who are quite objective I might add) on my board always tell us the reason why they post on a Jets board and not a Pats board is because they can't stand the blind homerism which occurs on almost all of the Pats boards. Amnorix here is a perfect example. while I admit the Patriots look great this year, did you really have to bump this thread?

I'll bet you he's jerking off to each reply gleefully. heh. ROFL

Amnorix
10-21-2007, 09:15 PM
"Randy Moss, the only Raiders receiver the Pats DON'T want."

It is impressive to watch you talk out of both sides of your mouth though, asshat.

That was before we traded for him. Once we did, I was willing to give him a chance given BB's track record with guys like Corey Dillon.

You are ignoring my MANY posts saying exactly that.

YOU ARE THE FOOL THAT SAID IT WAS A "SHITTY OFFSEASON."

Spin it however you want, as long as you admit that you were so f***ing wrong it's hard to believe, then I'm ok with it. :p

Amnorix
10-21-2007, 09:18 PM
I think after watching Amnorix jerking off in this thread all over himself it makes one thing clear. ALL of the Patriots fans posters (who are quite objective I might add) on my board always tell us the reason why they post on a Jets board and not a Pats board is because they can't stand the blind homerism which occurs on almost all of the Pats boards. Amnorix here is a perfect example. while I admit the Patriots look great this year, did you really have to bump this thread?

I'll bet you he's jerking off to each reply gleefully. heh. ROFL

We had an argument, and the other guy said something really, really dumb, and stuck to it long enough to deserve getting his face rubbed in it when it became clear that he was totally wrong.

Go back to moaning over limp arm, who despite the many arguments that used to rage across Pats and Jets forums, isn't quite as good as Tom Brady. Mangenius was the beneficiary of a pathetic schedule last year, and this year can't beat anyone. Why he runs a 3-4 with personnel who aren't suited for it I'll never understand. Did he not pay attention when BB ran a 4-3 at least half the time in his early years with the Patriots, until he had the right people to run a 3-4. Especialy at the nose?