PDA

View Full Version : Where are you OSU homers to eat crow?

banyon
04-29-2007, 12:42 PM
Thats stupid why would we plug him in when we are still in the playoff hunt. Croyle is not our QB of the future. We should trade up if Troy Smith is left in the 2nd round. As a die hard buckeye fan we could use him, he is very good 67% completion rating, he knows how to win the big games and he can scramble. He is sweet.

Worst idea ever.

Why is that the worst idea ever. Smith is a great pocket passer highest completion percentage in Big Ten History, he doesnt make mistakes, he is more than capable of scrambling. He has a laser rocket arm. Brodie was a waste of a third round pick we should of went defense again with that pick.

Well for starters, if we draft him in the 2nd, that's stupid because we can probably get him in the 6th. Also, you have concluded Brodie Croyle is a waste without even taking a snap under center. Was that your conclusion about Phillip Rivers before the season began too? So it's stupid 2nd because we have already made an investment here, like it or not, and need to see if it has any value. How many teams carry 2 top 3 round QB's on their roster? ZERO. 3rd, those college numbers don't translate automatically into NFL numbers. Tee Martin set the NCAA record for completion percentage in a game, but you probably don't know who that is because he washed out a couple of years back. Troy Smith has been the beneficiary of playing with a lead all season with a great defense behind him and a scaled back offense.

So, other than it's 4 rounds too high, the fact that we already have a top 3 round QB on the roster, and the propensity of QB's who play for top-level NCAA teams to not pan out in the pro's, it's a fantastic idea.

While I would never think that Troy Smith is going to be a great pick for THIS football team, I disagree with just about everything you had to say in this post.

Why do you conclude that if you can get someone in the 2nd that you can get them in the 6th??? That makes no sense. If a guy is a projected 2nd rounder, he will probably go close to there. Not in the 6th round.

Secondly.....BRODIE CROYLE IS NOT PHILLIP RIVERS!!!!!!!!!!! Phillip Rivers was a FIRST ROUND DRAFT PICK. I explained in my earlier post the difference between a 1st/2nd round QB and a 3rd/4th round QB....it is HUGE!!!! You DO NOT draft a QB in the 3rd round with the impression that he is your FUTURE. Never. I just dont understand why a 3rd round QB deserves a shot to start just because we drafted him. Do you think that other teams are saying that Dave Ragone or Sage Rosenfels or whoever was on my list from before DESERVES a shot?? Of course not. And neither does Brodie.

I definately agree that college numbers do not translate into NFL numbers. However your Troy Smith views are way off. Ohio State is an offensive team first....not defense. Nothing was "scaled back" in this offense.....and when the game got out of hand, he left the game. Not like Brady Quinn who was allowed to run up the score and pad his stats.

I TOTALLY agree with you on Troy Smith. He's a solid 2nd-round prospect.

And if Troy Smith had blown out both knees, he'd be less than a 2nd-round prospect. That doesn't make him any less talented any more than it makes you correct about Croyle.

Croyle was a 2nd-round prospect who's stock dropped due to injury and nothing more. But that's ok, what do Gil Brandt and other professional scouts know that you don't, right?

Pick #174 (last pick of Rd. 5) - Troy Smith -BAL

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=154160&page=7&pp=15&highlight=Troy+Smith

htismaqe
04-29-2007, 12:48 PM
Did you hear what they just said on the NFL Network about Troy Smith?

banyon
04-29-2007, 12:51 PM
Did you hear what they just said on the NFL Network about Troy Smith?

I'm watching ESPN. Did he contract s***iness just last week?

JBucc
04-29-2007, 12:54 PM
What they say?

htismaqe
04-29-2007, 01:07 PM
that Baltimore got one of the biggest steals of the draft...

banyon
04-29-2007, 01:12 PM
that Baltimore got one of the biggest steals of the draft...

Well if NFL network said it...

They'll get flashbacks to Anthony Wright real quick. Very similar QB's.

Cochise
04-29-2007, 01:15 PM
I saw him play really well in college, he's fast and has a quick release and seems accurate and all that. But come on, not one team in the NFL where QBs are more valuable than gold thought he was worth a pick before the last pick in the 5th round.

MIAdragon
04-29-2007, 01:35 PM
I saw him play really well in college, he's fast and has a quick release and seems accurate and all that. But come on, not one team in the NFL where QBs are more valuable than gold thought he was worth a pick before the last pick in the 5th round.

didnít Brady go in the 5th of 6th??

htismaqe
04-29-2007, 01:43 PM
Well if NFL network said it...

They'll get flashbacks to Anthony Wright real quick. Very similar QB's.

ROFL

Anthony Wright was 12-21 as a starter in college, including 1-10 his senior year.

Cochise
04-29-2007, 01:53 PM
didnít Brady go in the 5th of 6th??

You can't really base a general opinion on the greatest draft steal in NFL history.

banyon
04-29-2007, 01:55 PM
ROFL

Anthony Wright was 12-21 as a starter in college, including 1-10 his senior year.

Troy Smith would've had the same record with those South Carolina teams.

htismaqe
04-29-2007, 01:58 PM
Troy Smith would've had the same record with those South Carolina teams.

You've obviously never watched Troy Smith play. He was the reason they won alot of those games.

banyon
04-29-2007, 02:03 PM
You've obviously never watched Troy Smith play. He was the reason they won alot of those games.

Ha, I knew I'd get under your skin with this. You thought he was 2nd round, no other professional NFL front office thought it was even close to that. OSU won games with superior defensive and offensive talent. How many other NFL draft picks do you think came off of those So. Carolina teams.

Lots of guys are "winners" in college, and if they play for one of the top 10 teams, then they hand them a Heisman. I watched Troy Smith play some in college, but one place I won't be watching him is on Sundays.

htismaqe
04-29-2007, 02:10 PM
Ha, I knew I'd get under your skin with this. You thought he was 2nd round, no other professional NFL front office thought it was even close to that. OSU won games with superior defensive and offensive talent. How many other NFL draft picks do you think came off of those So. Carolina teams.

Lots of guys are "winners" in college, and if they play for one of the top 10 teams, then they hand them a Heisman. I watched Troy Smith play some in college, but one place I won't be watching him is on Sundays.

You didn't get under my skin at all, but I can see why you'd want to. For the 2nd year in a row, the Chiefs did every last thing I wanted them to.

Obviously, I was wrong about Smith being a 2nd-rounder. Lots of people here were wrong about lots of people. I was right about far more people than I was wrong about.

banyon
04-29-2007, 02:22 PM
You didn't get under my skin at all, but I can see why you'd want to. For the 2nd year in a row, the Chiefs did every last thing I wanted them to.

Obviously, I was wrong about Smith being a 2nd-rounder. Lots of people here were wrong about lots of people. I was right about far more people than I was wrong about.

I'm just havin' a little fun with you Big Ten types (alhtough I'd still like to hear from the actual OSU people).

I'd have been happier with Quinn and Wright, but if we've finally solved our DT problems and gotten Hicks and Sims off the team, then I'm very ok with that.

'Hamas' Jenkins
04-29-2007, 02:29 PM
maque,

Sometimes you can be wrong. Smith was a winner in college, no doubt, but so were Jason White, Charlie Ward, Gino Toretta, among others.

The guy was surrounded with all world talent. It's hard to ascertain what his true ability is right now, but it should be obvious to anyone that he wasn't worthy of a 2nd round pick.

htismaqe
04-29-2007, 02:44 PM
maque,

Sometimes you can be wrong. Smith was a winner in college, no doubt, but so were Jason White, Charlie Ward, Gino Toretta, among others.

The guy was surrounded with all world talent. It's hard to ascertain what his true ability is right now, but it should be obvious to anyone that he wasn't worthy of a 2nd round pick.

I already admitted I was wrong.

Smith is more than just a winner. He has "it". Unfortunately for him, he's undersized and lacks ideal measurables.

htismaqe
04-29-2007, 02:45 PM
I'm just havin' a little fun with you Big Ten types (alhtough I'd still like to hear from the actual OSU people).

I'd have been happier with Quinn and Wright, but if we've finally solved our DT problems and gotten Hicks and Sims off the team, then I'm very ok with that.

It's all good.

I can't wait to watch Brady Quinn flame out.

Chief Nute
04-29-2007, 02:47 PM
Dude what in the heck are you talking about, man.

If you can find me a post that has me touting Troy Smith as a high draft pick, I'd be surprised.

I never said he should go super high, however, I do think he would be a nice value pick for anyone past the 3rd round.

Some of you clowns on this site have no life......you have these threads that you write on 5 months prior and you just wait if in fact you think you said something worthwhile, and then you bring it back to the forefront 5 months later.......

Get a life.

'Hamas' Jenkins
04-29-2007, 02:49 PM

If you can find me a post that has me touting Troy Smith as a high draft pick, I'd be surprised.

I never said he should go super high, however, I do think he would be a nice value pick for anyone past the 3rd round.

Some of you clowns on this site have no life......you have these threads that you write on 5 months prior and you just wait if in fact you think you said something worthwhile, and then you bring it back to the forefront 5 months later.......

Get a life.

1) A 2nd round pick is a high pick.
2) You said it, banyon just dug it up.
3) Don't post on a website telling other people they have no life. If you have a life and they don't, why are you wasting your life talking to them? Isn't that somewhat contradictory.

banyon
04-29-2007, 02:57 PM

Is there another Chief Nute on this site?

While I would never think that Troy Smith is going to be a great pick for THIS football team, I disagree with just about everything you had to say in this post.

Why do you conclude that if you can get someone in the 2nd that you can get them in the 6th??? That makes no sense. If a guy is a projected 2nd rounder, he will probably go close to there. Not in the 6th round.

Get a life.

Aw, I'm gonna cry. :crybaby:

ROFL

Chief Nute
04-29-2007, 03:01 PM
I'm still not getting you.......can you find anything in that quote that says that I think that Troy Smith should be a high draft pick OR that he will be wildly successful in the NFL?

And Hamas......I think I can confidently say that I have a life even though I read this site from time to time.....and the key is TIME TO TIME....

Some guys spend their awake lives on here and wait to pull up shit from 5 months ago......even if it doesnt make any sense

'Hamas' Jenkins
04-29-2007, 03:03 PM
I'm still not getting you.......can you find anything in that quote that says that I think that Troy Smith should be a high draft pick OR that he will be wildly successful in the NFL?

And Hamas......I think I can confidently say that I have a life even though I read this site from time to time.....and the key is TIME TO TIME....

Some guys spend their awake lives on here and wait to pull up shit from 5 months ago......even if it doesnt make any sense

Re: having a life...if you have a laptop, you can watch the draft and post concurrently...doing two things at once, or you can post while you are 'working'. It's all about multitasking :D

banyon
04-29-2007, 03:05 PM

Well, you kind of have to realize that you are replying to this previous post of mine:

Well for starters, if we draft him in the 2nd, that's stupid because we can probably get him in the 6th. Also, you have concluded Brodie Croyle is a waste without even taking a snap under center. Was that your conclusion about Phillip Rivers before the season began too? So it's stupid 2nd because we have already made an investment here, like it or not, and need to see if it has any value. How many teams carry 2 top 3 round QB's on their roster? ZERO. 3rd, those college numbers don't translate automatically into NFL numbers. Tee Martin set the NCAA record for completion percentage in a game, but you probably don't know who that is because he washed out a couple of years back. Troy Smith has been the beneficiary of playing with a lead all season with a great defense behind him and a scaled back offense.
So, other than it's 4 rounds too high, the fact that we already have a top 3 round QB on the roster, and the propensity of QB's who play for top-level NCAA teams to not pan out in the pro's, it's a fantastic idea

Then you say that you disagree with "everything" I had to say in the post, except that he'd be a bad pick for our football team (b/c of Croyle). So if you disagree with everything, what opinions exactly are you saying you held?