PDA

View Full Version : The QB Delay

Tribal Warfare
04-06-2001, 10:51 AM
From the facts we know Vermeil wants Green and Carl isn't willing to pay it. The options the Chiefs alreadly looked at are Buerleine a QB that calls the medical ward his second home, Trent Dilfer a Grbac clone that can't find the quick read, Trent Green the man that represent modern version of the Louisiana Purchase but at a higher cost.

This all leads to the draft with KC's actions the past week I'm getting the feeling if one of the drafts top 3 RB's on the board KC will take that RB (even Micheal Bennett).I'm hoping McAllister or LT will still be around.

If KC doesn't resolve the QB situation in the next week and if the top RB's of the draft aren't on the board. Trent Green will be KC's new QB , for arm and a leg.

Gaz
04-06-2001, 12:41 PM
Delaying is the right move, IMO.

There is no sense signing a FA QB until after the draft, or at least until after the #12 pick is settled.

If we sign a FA now, it shows the Rams that we are not going to take Green off their hands and allows them to start making cap moves. How does that help the Chiefs? Neither Beuerlein nor Dilfer is going to sign as backup for any team when he could start for the Chiefs. Signing a FA QB now helps the Rams and does not benefit the Chiefs at all. I am not helping in benefiting the Rams, are you?

Here are some possibilities:

∑ If McAllister or Tomlinson is still on the board, we draft him. Then we sign Beuerlein [or Dilfer].

∑ If McAllister or Tomlinson is not on the board, we call the Rams and offer the #12 straight up for Green. They accept and we have our QB.

∑ If McAllister or Tomlinson is not on the board, we call the Rams and offer the #12 straight up for Green. They refuse and we draft DT Richard Seymour [or WR Santana Moss] and then sign Beuerlein [or Dilfer].

FWIW, I think the last scenario is the best for the Chiefs.

xoxo~
Gaz
Hanginí out Ďtill draft day.

Tribal Warfare
04-06-2001, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by Gaz

If we sign a FA now, it shows the Rams that we are not going to take Green off their hands and allows them to start making cap moves. Here are some possibilities:

It doesn't matter , the Rams already made their cap moves. Their under 8 million currently, they can keep Green if they want to.

Tribal Warfare
04-06-2001, 01:02 PM
Originally posted by Gaz

If we sign a FA now, it shows the Rams that we are not going to take Green off their hands and allows them to start making cap moves.

It doesn't matter , the Rams already made their cap moves. Their under 8 million currently, they can keep Green if they want to.

Gaz
04-06-2001, 01:58 PM
ChiefPriority-

That makes no difference. The Rams want to trade Green for a 1st & 3rd and the Chiefs still will not pay that price. If we sign Beuerlein now, they know that we will not give up any picks for Green. Even if I am not hurting the Rams, I can still keep them guessing for another couple of weeks.

As a general rule, you should never let anyone know what you intend to do when there are multiple bidders for the same commodity. There is no benefit to the Chiefs in signing a FA QB now. And even if we derive no benefit from waiting, we have at least not aided one of our many enemies [anyone not R&G].

xoxo~
Gaz
Not interested in giving even the slightest comfort to the enemy.

DaneMcCloud
04-06-2001, 02:31 PM
If Beuerline is healthy, I think he'd make an excellent choice for several reasons. First of all, he's only one season removed from a 4,400 yard, Pro Bowl campaign. He's played in this offense before (albeit Norv Turner's version), he's intelligent, has a couple of good seasons left and will be well protected not only by the Chiefs offensive line but by design and scheme as well. I also think that he's a QB that the Chiefs fans would support wholeheartedly (like Gannon) because the guy's a battler and seems to be a class act in the locker room and off the field. It seems that sometimes in KC, if the team isn't winning, it's just as important for the team to have hard working individuals and a QB that the fans can relate to as a hard working, no frills guy. Dilfer (minus the mistakes) would also draw that type of support from the fans as well.

Tribal Warfare
04-06-2001, 02:40 PM
Originally posted by Gaz

That makes no difference. The Rams want to trade Green for a 1st & 3rd and the Chiefs still will not pay that price. If we sign Beuerlein now, they know that we will not give up any picks for Green. Even if I am not hurting the Rams, I can still keep them guessing for another couple of weeks.

It does Gaz, the room under the cap will make it naerly impossible for KC to deal with the Rams(plus they have another 1st rounder). On draft day it will be KC calling the Rams not the other way around. The Rams are sitting pretty, their not playing guessing games like last month. The Rams want to keep Green as a insurance policy incase Warner gets injured.They've said this many times.

Gaz
04-06-2001, 03:00 PM
ChiefPriority-

I am not making myself clear.

I do not advocate waiting to drive the price for Green down. The Rams will either trade Green for the #12 on our 15 minutes or they will not. I prefer not, but I am not in control.

My point is that there is no benefit to the Chiefs in signing Beuerlein now. If Carl caves to Vermeilís tsunami of tears and trades the #12 for Green, then we donít need Beuerlein. If Carl stands firm, Beuerlein will be there because KC is his only chance to start.

Making a move now only gives the Rams certainty in what they will be doing on draft day. How does that serve the best interests of the R&G?

We may not help the Chiefs by delaying, but we do not hurt them in any way. We may not hurt the Rams by delaying, but we do not help them in any way. That sounds like a win/win situation to me.

Signing Beuerlein now may not hurt the Chiefs, but it does help the Rams, even if only slightly. All other things being equal, that is sufficient reason to delay.

xoxo~
Gaz
Clarifying his position.

donkhater
04-06-2001, 03:12 PM
Another factor in whether or not the Rams want to trade Green may depend on the personel available at the #12 position. If a LB (like Dan Morgan) or one of the DT's they like (Stroud, Seymor, etc) are still there, and KC comes a calling, they may be more apt to trade straight up. If they are overly crazy about the personel there, I doubt they'll bit.

I like your third scenario as well Gaz. Although instead of Santana Moss, how about Chad Johnson? He is a player with good hands that is big (6'1" I think) and fast (4.35 40 repeated three times in front of scouts). Moss would fit well with KC in that he is quick and a kick returner, but his size scares me. May be more like an Az-Hakim in this O.

Gaz
04-06-2001, 03:19 PM
Donkhater-

I listed Johnson as a 1st Round possibility in Coogsí latest What If experiment;

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?s=&threadid=16228

Several mock drafts show Koren Robinsonís stock dropping, too.

The way our FA signings are shaping up, Carl may address our Defense needs before the draft begins. If the Farr rumor pans out, I may be twiddling my thumbs on draft day while the Offense Homers rule the roost.

Of course, there is always the Dan Morgan bandwagon begging to be lept upon.

xoxo~
Gaz
Defense Homer looking for an Offensive draft.

kcred
04-06-2001, 04:24 PM
Agreeing with Gaz here, there is no upside to signing anyone now. But another scenario, the Rams could use the #12 now, and whatever else to move way up in the draft. As long as they do not have it, they can't shop it around. If they want it, then they do the calling instead of us. We might actually get that #2 back, or even the #29, if we play the waiting game.

Gary
04-06-2001, 04:29 PM
TRUST ME...OLD ST. LOUIE WON'T BE DIALING ANY 785 AREA CODES. I'M SURE THAT THEY STILL THINK THAT THEY RIPPED KC A NEW A-HOLE WITH TABLIABUE'S DECISION TO GIVE THEM THE 2ND ROUNDER. THEY'LL HAVE A CHIP ON THEIR SHOULDER'S FOR A VERY LONG TIME ABOUT THIS WHOLE DEAL...THAT'S EVEN MORE FUEL FOR ME BE AGAINST ANY TRADE FOR GREEN(NO MATTER WHAT THE PRICE...UNLESS RIDICULOUS). I SAY IF YOU ARE GOING TO REBUILD, DO IT AROUND SOMEBODY THAT YOU CAN MOULD INTO WHAT YOU WANT FOR A LONG TIME.

Gaz
04-07-2001, 08:26 AM
Hi Gary-

Welcome to the Planet.

I would be willing to take Green for the right price. IMO, that right price is our #12 for Green and the Ramsí #42. With that #42 pick, I would take a RB, DT or WR.

And please take the following suggestion in the spirit with which it is intended. It is considered shouting to post in capital letters. You should save caps for when you are emphasizing a point. It is a small thing, but it does make your posts hard to read when us folks are not used to all caps.

xoxo~
Gaz
Flinches when people shout at him.

The Rick
04-07-2001, 10:12 AM
I wonder what's up on the Griese front? According to ESPN's Chris Mortensen, it's not a done deal yet with the Bronco's:

http://espn.go.com/chrismortensen/s/2001/0327/1162863.html

I think it's a done deal though. Seven years @ $42 million is a lot to pay for Griese and I doubt we're really that interested anymore in anything other than trying to drive up the price a little higher if anything.

Gary
04-07-2001, 10:19 AM
Thanks Gaz. Don't mean to shout...must be all the anticipation of the draft in the air...or it could have been those "ZESTY" tacos I had at The Bell last night. Anyway, thanks for the hospitality guys. I really like this board!!!!!!!!!